Start by marking “Oliver Jeffers: The Working Mind and Drawing Hand” as Want to Read:
Oliver Jeffers: The Working Mind and Drawing Hand

Oliver Jeffers: The Working Mind and Drawing Hand

Artist Oliver Jeffers gives readers an unprecedented and intimate window into his creative process, weaving his popular works with never-before-seen art and illustrations, alongside his personal story of how he came to art, his love of books, and his bookmaking, fashioned from his personal sketchbooks.

This dynamic visual biography is Jeffers's personal chronicle of an arti
Published October 16th 2018 by Rizzoli International Publications

To ask other readers questions about Oliver Jeffers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oliver Jeffers

Start your review of Oliver Jeffers: The Working Mind and Drawing Hand
Rebecca
This is a coffee table book about Oliver Jeffers, known to me for his picture books and (after following him on Instagram) something called dipped paintings and fathom paintings.

I'll admit that I picked this up with a grudge very likely based on envy: A retrospective biography already? Isn't he only my age, or younger? Also, what's the big deal about him anyway? Maira Kalman also incorporates hand-lettered text and unique quirky imagery, but the illustration world doesn't seem to get in such a
Fatima Naji

أكثر من حياته شخصيًا

لا يمكنني الحكم عليه تمامًا فلم اقرأه بدقة
الكتاب ضخم

انعكس ابداع jeffer على تصميم الكتاب
المحتوى مطروح بأسلوب مميز جدًا.
فيه تقريبًا اغلب اعمال الكاتب

الكتاب تغذية بصرية مُلهِمة لكل فنان ✨♥️
Allison
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book by and about an incredible author/artist. The messages and the art are simply amazing. I loved the glimpses behind the scenes and the explanations behind some of his art. I mostly just love to stare at his art. And he alone makes me want to join Instagram for those messages of his! I got my copy of this book from the library, but I almost feel like I want to own the book, too, to honor this guy and his art and rarely do I feel that way. This is a treasure, a keeper.
Alan
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Jeffers has illustrated many children’s books, including one of my favorites and possibly yours, The Day the Crayons quit. This book combines his work as artist and children’s book illustrator. Really it’s a look inside who Jeffers is as a person and artist. Some favorites, the section on cartography, Fathoms and it introduced me to a few of his other picture books that I’ll check out. Here’s the best quote: “My dad raised me to believe that the surest sign of intelligence in another human being ...more
Holly
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I quite literally don’t have words to describe the beauty of this book. Oliver Jeffers is one of my all-time art heroes, and being able to finally lay hands on this tome and glimpse into his behind-the-scenes was earth-shaking. It’s whimsical and profound in equal measures, sprinkled with his characteristic chunky, childish handwriting, and filled with the immense curiosity that inspires his work. Somewhere in the book is this quote from one of his peers (John Maeda): “Design makes solutions. Ar ...more
Brittany Wilmes
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous and makes me deeply grateful that I live in a world filled with art and beauty. (An aside: I think I'm beginning to appreciate performance art and it gives me a weird thrill.)
Barbara
I've long been a fan of this artist, whose work in Stuck, This Moose Belongs to Me, and The Day the Crayons Quit and other picture books struck me as unique, offering a fresh perspective on life and its various journeys. There is just something simple and appealing about his stories and images, and yet, a depth to them that made me as an adult reader pause for a moment to reflect on what I was seeing and experiencing. Naturally, when I saw this book available, I snatched it up, eager to learn mo ...more
Crystal Lisbon
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I deeply love the work of Oliver Jeffers. He is 100% my favorite children's author/illustrator, so I recognize that I am biased. As an elementary school librarian, I find his work speaks to children and adults alike. His distinctive handwriting coloring his work, his wit, humor, and heart shining through each story he tells. His work can make me cry, and then laugh two pages later. This book is a gorgeous profile of an author/illustrator/painter. Delving into his process as an artist, and learni ...more
Debra  Golden
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved seeing all the images so big in this oversized volume, so I could appreciate the detail even more. I know of him through many of his children's books, and was wowed by the other side of him as a painter. It's inspiring.
The man who draws the quirky endearing children who seek friendship and answers also is a fabulous portrait artist, and fills work with meaning. And oh the spin he takes on found landscape paintings.
Darcy
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I am going to reread it immediately. I knew I enjoyed the artwork in a couple children’s books illustrated by Jeffers, but there were so many other works of his that were unknown to me. He is an intelligent and compelling artist weaving in-depth analyses of the world around him with a child-like joy and wonder that I find incredible. He is certainly one of my new favorite artists.
Enrique Sebert
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Al inicio me pregunté si realmente valía la pena el precio que tenía, y al finalizar, me di cuenta que al menos para mí sí lo valió pues es una de esas obras que te ayudan a conocer la mente de un artista más que a comprender su arte; y una vez que sincronizas con eso, tiene un efecto importante. En mi caso, me hizo considerar la pediatría o la paido psiquiatría.
De verdad que admiro mucho a Oliver Jeffers.
Alyssa Foll
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a stunning book, stuffed full with the wondrous illustrations from the working mind and drawing hand of Oliver Jeffers. I have long admired his whimsical illustration style in children's book, but through following him on social media and then reading this book, I see that he is also an activist for environmentalism, women's rights, and peace. I appreciate that his art always has those messages embedded in it.
Highly recommended to savor the workings of Oliver Jeffers.
Geri chesner
Really enjoyed this visual treasure, highlighting the work, words an life of Oliver Jeffers. This book helped me to understand his art, as some of it is a bit obscure until you learn the intention and inspiration behind it. I have read a couple of his children's picturebooks, but will need to read more to really appreciate them. Thanks to Austin Kleon, author of Steal Like an Artist, who recommended this book in one of his weekly newsletters I love getting in my inbox every Friday.
Audrey
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For the longest time, I only knew Jeffers as a children's illustrator, and then I saw a painting that he'd done and discovered the rest of his amazing artwork. This book is a great overview of the scope of his work, and it's beautifully designed itself.
Daisy
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The duality of meaning and artistic talent to Jeffers work is not only shown in great detail in this book but it also has personal notes and writings which made me even more fond of his abilities as an artist and writer. This book has made me feel incredibly happy and comforted. A treat of a book.
Mary
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jeffers illustrates children’s books, does “dipped” paintings and makes disaster paintings on found canvases among other artwork. The book gives a good insight into his thought process. Unlike one of his themes which is “there is nothing to see here” you’ll find a great lot to enjoy and ponder.
Tara
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. I love Oliver Jeffers
Lindsey
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have loved Jeffers' books and illustrations for a long time but this book about that and his art made me like him even more, if that was even possible.
Valentina
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm completely obsessed with Oliver! his work his way of seeing the world, it's completely amazing this book.
Esther
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was gorgeous, well put together with interesting design, and packed full of inspiration and little nuggets of wisdom.
Michael Earp
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stunning and brilliant!
Kelly
One has to be a huge Jeffers fan to appreciate this artistic representation of his life and work. I love his work, and the blurbs of information are very interesting.
Rachel
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful art work and detail from a wonderful illustrator and storyteller. A must have for any fan!
Cesare
May 11, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Day the Crayons Came Home
  • SKIP
  • The Arrow of Ronan (The Legends of Ronan: 1)
  • Kitten's Autumn
  • How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
  • Lyric McKerrigan, Secret Librarian
  • Balderdash!: John Newbery and the Boisterous Birth of Children's Books
  • The Butterfly Tattoo
  • Follow Your Money: Who Gets It, Who Spends It, Where Does It Go?
  • Binky the Space Cat
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Binky: License to Scratch
  • Candlenight
  • The Art of the English Murder: From Jack the Ripper and Sherlock Holmes to Agatha Christie and Alfred Hitchcock
  • Big Dog and Little Dog Going for a Walk: Big Dog and Little Dog Board Books
  • Big Dog and Little Dog Wearing Sweaters: Big Dog and Little Dog Board Books
  • Miss Malarkey Leaves No Reader Behind
  • How to Be a Baby . . . by Me, the Big Sister
Oliver Jeffers' work takes many forms. His distinctive paintings have been exhibited in galleries worldwide, and HarperCollins UK and Penguin USA publish his award-winning picture books, now translated into over 30 languages.

In 2007, Jeffers was the official illustrator for World Book Day, and in 2008 Lost and Found became Oliver's first book to made into animation by London-based Studio AKA.

Jeffe