Start by marking “Mystical Greenwood” as Want to Read:
Mystical Greenwood

Mystical Greenwood

Dermot is a fifteen-year-old boy living in a remote village in the land of Denú. He has always longed for something more in his life. Now, everything changes after he sees a renowned creature--a gryphon--in the sky, and then crosses paths with a reclusive healer who harbors a secret.

Soon, he and his brother have no choice but to leave the only home they’ve ever known. They
Published by Mockingbird Lane Press

To ask other readers questions about Mystical Greenwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystical Greenwood

Start your review of Mystical Greenwood
T.C. Weber
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystical Greenwood, Andrew McDowell's debut novel, is in one sense a classic fantasy novel, with mystical creatures, swords & sorcery, and an epic battle between good and evil. But beyond that, it is an allegory about humans' relationship with nature. There are those who care only about themselves, feeling superior to nature and other people. Exploiters and destroyers. And there are those who recognize how interconnected we are with nature, and draw strength and power from that. Caretakers and n ...more
Anya Pavelle
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m giving this YA fantasy novel a solid 4.5 stars. Although this book has fantastical creatures, the world has the feel of medieval (or earlier) Ireland thanks to the personal/place names and cozy village life. The story starts out when young Dermot gets captured by a gryphon and meets a mysterious healer who lives deep in nature. He feels a connection to things beyond his immediate existence. As a Wiccan, I loved this book most for its reverent and magical treatment of nature.

In essence, this
Novinha
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's been quite a while since I read a fantasy book. And now I wonder why I've stayed away. Mystical Greenwood was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I also don't often read young adult fiction. Again, not sure why I don't go there more often.

As others have touched on the story line I won't attempt that; summarizing isn't my strong suit. I liked the interaction of characters, and that the non human characters are as well developed as the humans, and the adults play as big a role as the children. I rea
Lynne Fisher
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first young adult fantasy book I've ever read. I was drawn to it for the natural world and was duly rewarded with lovely detailed descriptions and and a wide range of 'eyeshots', from vast woodlands, turbulent skies, and a wealth of plants and animals, right down to the pine needles and blades of grass on the forest floor. This woodland is the perfect setting for a story of mystic magic.

The tale, packed with mythical creatures, sorcerers of light and dark, and more down to earth vill
K.J. Simmill
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dermot has felt called to the land for as long as he could remember. As a youth his wanderlust caused him all manner of trouble, but now it could be the very thing that saves him. When a griffon appears it puts into motion an ancient promise, a vow made by The Dark Prince to return and finish the task he had started years before. Dermot, with the aid on unexpected allies must journey across the land to seek the only chance of stopping this rising force. Will he find what he seeks, or will The Da ...more
Chris Hall
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful fantasy story set in a highly imaginative setting where nature is revered and respected.
It took me a while to start to identify with the main characters but the magical and mythical creatures are so well drawn that I was pulled into the story.
Some of the dialogue feels a little clunky to me, but it doesn't get in the way of what it a well-told adventure.
I will certainly look out for Book 2.

Read on Kindle Unlimited.
A.R. Clayton
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing tale of a young man's journey, filled with sorcery and the secrets of the greenwood...

Mystical Greenwood is a fantastical ride on griffins and unicorns alike through a world of woodland animals, sorcerers and magic, a world burnished with evolving betrayals, an encroaching darkness and growing evil forces. You'll follow a tale of two brothers venturing into the greenwood they're forbidden to enter, after Dermot (the eldest brother and protagonist) is swept quite literally off his fe
Becky
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
You can tell that the author is passionate about animals and nature and has put a lot of time and effort into his research on the topic. That connection informs the entire book, driving the plot and defining the characters. I especially liked the details about the medicinal use of plants which seemed authentic, although I'm no expert. I loved the central involvement of normal and mythical beasts, especially the dog, but then I'm a sucker for dogs. The story is imaginative and the action is nearl ...more
Crystal
Apr 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful mystical novel

This was a wonderful book. Very descriptive, so you could picture the details in your mind. The main character, I loved how he began his journey imbracing nature and the animals. How his relationship developed with each of the characters. I loved how him and his brother bonded and became closer as the story progressed. You could feel the sweet nature he had. The ending left me wanting more. I'll be on the lookout for book two!
C. Soto
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing story. The descriptions the author uses to describe the scenery and the characters is believable and helps the reader visualize the story better. Dermot, MC, had such a sweet soul to him. Author, Andrew McDowell, takes us on a mystical journey, finding family in nature. I am glad I was offered this suggestion to read, as I enjoyed the story.
Judy Ferrell
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When darkness returns.

Andrew McDowell has penned an epic tale of guardians of the Mystical Greenwood. With all the adventure and magical creatures you could every want this epic will carry you away.
K.A. Croft
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read, enjoyed it

Slightly slow to start but it picks up and is an enjoyable read. Will look to other works by this author.
Megan Wagner
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Very imaginative and descriptive! Good world building. My edition had a lot of editing issues that I hope will be fixed in later editions. I also didn't feel really connected to any of the characters and wished I could get inside their heads more! Looking forward to seeing what happens next. ...more
A.L. Kaplan
Andrew McDowell has created a detailed and complex world in Mystical Greenwood, book one of the One with Nature series. Set in the land of Denú, this story has a lot of potential. I enjoyed the basic concept of the story, although would have preferred more showing and less telling.
At its heart, Mystical Greenwood is a story of growing up and taking responsibility. Young Dermot, doesn’t think through the consequences of his actions, a trait not uncommon in teens even today. Talking back to the lo
Ari Meghlen
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
The story mainly follows Dermot, a 15-year-old boy in a land called Denú, a place full of incredible creatures and hidden magics.

I really enjoyed the richness of the world created, the focus on Nature and benevolent power and the intriguing backstory of Taranis. This book is full of wondrous creatures like gryphons, unicorns, dragons which are always a firm favourite with me.

However, I did feel the book was very slow in its pacing and it was almost halfway through before I felt it really took o
Shea Carlson
Jun 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Good Read, But ...

I enjoyed the book and intend to read the sequels when they're released. The language suits the universe, and the characters develop as the story progresses. However, the writing has rough edges, and the book really needs another round of copy edits and proofreading.

I hate cliffhanger endings, but this novel would have to be at least several chapters longer to resolve what happens to Dermot and Brian's parents.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy and magic.
Jamie Adams
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating.

I really started to route for Dermot during his adventures in Greenwood. The story is cleverly told with a balance of intrigue, challenge and family ties. I loved the links to the natural world and environmental understanding. The world was fascinating and filled with interesting characters, wonderful settings and heart-stopping dilemmas.
Nour Zikra
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mystical Greenwood is a coming of age story full of poetic writing that keeps you mesmerized from start to finish. I loved this read! It's well-written and intriguing, and I enjoyed the family relationship. ...more
Rebecca Alasdair
Dec 30, 2020
Kent Wayne
Apr 28, 2018
Andrew
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
J.I. Rogers
Aug 19, 2019
Rebecca
Sep 17, 2019

• Cells
  • When Valor Must Hold (Libri Valoris, #1)
  • Sarah & Zoey
  • Animal Tales
  • Devotion (The Hunted, #4)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Playing a Player (Sweet Cravings, #1)
  • Those Summer Nights (Sweet Cravings, #2)
  • Mastering Sin (Addicted to Sin #2)
  • Going for Gold (Sweet Cravings, #3)
  • Kiss of Redemption
  • Jesus Is A Black Man: An Inconvenient TRUTH
  • Us vs. the Rest of the World
  • The Vine Cross ( Vine series #1)
  • Her Name Is Murder
  • Caged
  • Chasing Starlight: An alpha male shifter romance (Elswyth Chase Book 2)
  • Oath Breakers (DC Coven Book 1)
Andrew McDowell became interested in writing at age eleven, inspired by childhood passions for stories and make-believe. By the time he was thirteen, he knew he wanted to be a writer.

He studied History and English at St. Mary’s College, and Library & Information Science at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is a member of the Maryland Writers’ Association.

As a novelist, he plans to try h