Start by marking “Wildfell” as Want to Read:
Wildfell

Wildfell

After a traumatic experience with her graduate school professor, Anne Fleming disposes of all her possessions, boards a plane, and plans to check out of life. But a chance meeting on an international flight leads her to Wildfell, a gothic mansion north of London. At first glance, Wildfell seems like the perfect place to hide out, and Anne is intrigued by its strange atmosp ...more
Published April 27th 2018 by Carfax Abbey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wildfell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildfell

Robin Bonne
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Much like Hardy’s Tess, a trauma drives protagonist Anne’s fate. She runs away, and meets a handsome stranger on a plane. Anne tells him her name is Tessa. He tells her about a mansion that rents out affordable rooms. Who could turn down a cheap room in an old mansion in a fancy London neighborhood? Of course, she decides to move in. The mansion is aptly named Wildfell, like the Anne Brontë book.

Creepy things start to happen, and a few bad choices keep Anne at Wildfell long past when she should
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
"Life's a scary thing, you know... It's not just living at Wildfell that's dangerous."
I was looking for a fun read as a palate cleanse before diving into another fantasy world, and Wildfell fit the bill. I picked this book up because I was in the mood for a cozy mystery kind of book, and gothic, supernatural stories are right up my alley... I definitely can relate with Anne in wanting to escape my life and hide. What I found was an interesting and spooky tale but characters I didn't really c
Renee Ross
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absorbing story for anyone who loves creepy thrillers. I really enjoyed following this young protagonist as she jumped from the proverbial frying pan of her old life into the fire of her new one. Finding lodging at Wildfell in the unfamiliar setting seemed like a stroke of good fortune. It wasn't. From the very beginning there's a dark atmosphere of mystery and intrigue. There are strangely sinister characters, and the supernatural disturbances grow increasingly more ominous with each passing ...more
PointedlyBlunt
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Panicking over the thought of having to testify against her ex-boyfriend/ex-professor in court, Anne makes a spur of the moment decision to trash all of her belongings and start somewhere anew. On the plane to London she makes a couple of friends and one of them tells her she might be able to stay at the boarding house he's staying at. Initially enchanted with the property, Anne soon finds herself becoming more suspicious about the mysterious house and its owner, Mrs. Gates, and it doesn't take ...more
The Cats Mother
This supernatural/horror/mystery set in London was not really my cup of tea. I’m not a big fan of the genre at the best of times, but felt like something a bit different, and receiving books from NetGalley is a good way to stretch my reading repertoire - but has the disadvantage that I feel compelled to finish them even when I’m not enjoying them. My biggest problem with this was how feeble, self-indulgent, silly and self-pitying the heroine was.

Anne, a graduate student living in Virginia, decid
Gianna
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Flemming wants to get as far away from her hometown as possible. After a catastrophic experience with her ex boyfriend, she decides not to testify against him in court. Instead, she boards on a plane without telling anyone, and finds herself in London under a false name. Desperately trying to get away from her own memories, Anne will feel well in the beginning. Having rent a room in a gothic mansion in northern London, she seems very fond of Bain, her striking Irish roommate.

However, the W
Hannelore Cheney
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for the eARC.
Anne leaves the States for London in a hurry, escaping her court date where she's due to testify against her Professor, who has been accused of inappropriate behavior with his female students.
On her flight she meets Bain, a wildly handsome Irish actor who suggests she takes a room at Wildfell, where he's currently staying. Russell's owner and landlady proved to be a strange and slightly ominous character. She and the creepy mansion add to Anne's
Elaine Stock
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this modern Gothic novel by London Clarke and look forward to seeing more spooky stories from her in the near future--I hope! I haven't read a novel like this in decades, so it was much fun. The author did an excellent job delightfully tricking me into thinking who the good and bad guys were. Well done.
Lorrie McCullers
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love gothic mysteries, this book is for you!

I absolutely LOVED this book! Started out a little slow, but once it gets going, you won't want to stop reading. Seriously, just set aside a few hours because you won't put it down.

Creepy atmosphere, strange characters, and some paranormal activity make this book a winner!
Elizabeth
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and London Clarke for the opportunity to read this gem prior to release day.
Although I would have hoped to finish this in one setting my calendar had other ideas, but every chance I got to read a few lines, this was the book I reached for.
Anne Fleming makes a rash decision to leave the states and head to London in hopes to distance herself from her recent indiscretions and her mother. Not knowing what the horror that was ahead of her, she allowed herself to open up to he
Iza
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The blurb and cover drew me in - and the fact that I needed a break from romance novels, so why not try a Gothic horror?

I liked the beginning, getting glimpses, here and there, of some past event that had set the story in motion - the heroine, Anne, fleeing the US to London. A chance encounter on the plane leads her to Wildfell, a house with history and a pretty scary past.

Since I love London, I loved the story taking place there. The heroine would visit this and that; she'd go there and there.
Susan
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A great old fashioned ghost story. The cover of this novel got me interested and the synopsis got me hooked. The novel is about Anne who is running away from testifying in court against her Professor. The story doesn't break till much later into the novel which I thought would have been better revealed in the very beginning. Anyways, Anne heads off to London to get away. On the plane she meets up with two gentlemen in which one is staying at Wildfell. Wildfell's rate is cheap but the mansion is ...more
Myreadbooks
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the cover we can see the Wildfell mansion where Anne will meet.

Everything starts after a short relationship with her teacher, Anne leaves the city, she will make a strange meeting on the plane. She will meet at Wildfell in this Gothic mansion in North London. She will think immediately that it is an ideal place to hide except that it raises questions about this place and its course of deaths and disappearances.

A fiction filled with suspense and twists with endearing characters. The story is
Jantine
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Wildfell' is a great book for someone like me, who loves anything to do with haunted houses and such. This book gave me the creeps and chills, in a good way!

There were some minor issues I had, that made I could not give it the full five stars. For one, the love interest was a bit too much for my taste - the book would've been better if that had been slightly less. Then there was that on one hand both Chris and Emma were so quick in letting a perfect stranger into their family with kids (view s
Amanda
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I'm a sucker for haunted house horror novels and got taken on the Gothic ghost story ride I was expecting. I did enjoy reading this on a gloomy afternoon, but it was over quickly.
Overall this was a pretty fun read, with few issues I had that took a star off the rating. The narrator, Anne Fleming, was both likable and unlikable by turns. Her seemingly insatiable need to please Bain, her love interest, was frustrating when she constantly bowed to his whims and plans, appa
LORRIE
Apr 23, 2018 added it
This was a wonderful creepy, chill inducing thriller
Gabby
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Julie
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Wow! Wildfell returned me to my love of gothic mysteries. I devoured this story in 1 day, reading during work breaks, while cooking, in bed and at dawn...I just could not put it down. The adventure of running away to another country, coupled with the paranormal activities in the ancient house and the mystery of the missing tenants had me enthralled from the first page. I have found a new favourite author to follow. Thanks to NetGalley for making this amazing book available to me.
Ruth
English Gothic escapism with a modern twist. Come for the atmosphere and stay to enjoy the wide variety of men Anne Fleming meets along the way. (Also: mystery, plot, growth arcs, travel feels.) Many thanks to the wonderful London Clarke for the advanced copy.
Maureen
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good attempt at a Gothic novel, but it just didn’t quite get there. Perhaps the characters needed to be better developed? I’m not sure. I’m the end, it was a little disappointing for me. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to be an early reader in exchange for my fair and honest review.
Jessica
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I’m kind of baffled at the high reviews of this extremely mediocre book.

The protagonist is a grad student, allegedly, but reads like a fifteen-yr-old, just very awkward in an adolescent way. She is falling in lust with one of the first guys she meets while fleeing her role as a victim in a sexual assault trial. Yep. And if I tell you anything else that happens, you will just laugh. Gothic atmosphere, but utterly dumb story and flimsy characters.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing free digital acc
Ashley Gillan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one was a true 3.5 stars. I was really excited to read this one - the whole concept of a ghost story that takes place in a creepy, old English house full of people keeping secrets sounded fantastic. And while it did live up to some of the hype, I feel like the ending left a little to be desired.

Anne decides to run away from her problems in America by hopping on a flight London, where she discovers that an old mansion named Wildfell rents rooms for cheap. But the landlady and her daughter, A
✨Tamara
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy moly! This was an amazing read! I read this in less than 24 hours. I just couldn't put it down. Anne drops her life in the states and runs off to London to escape having to testify in court against an ex-lover accused of sexual assault, who also happened to be her college professor. On the plane to London Anne meets Bain. Under the assumed name of Tessa, Anne decides to stay with Bain at the old and decrepit house in which he's staying. The problem is... this house has more than just creaky ...more
julianne

I was expecting a ghost story but what I got was a lukewarm attempt at gothic horror. I admit to loving haunted house stories but this fell flat.

The main character was shallow and the romance element of the book was a distraction we cou
Elli (Kindig Blog)
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Running away from home Anne Fleming decides to try a forge a new life at a pay-per-month guest house in London. However as previous guests seem to have disappeared without a trace and an odd landlady starts displaying her quirks, Anne soon realises staying at Wildfell may have been a mistake…

I picked up Wildfell expecting it to be a chilling ghost story but I have to admit that it isn’t. The book certainly didn’t spook me in any way and the plot is less about the haunted house and more about the
Josie Siler
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one sitting; I was too creeped out to go to bed! This isn't the type of book I normally read, but it was very well written. The romance was a bit much for me, though it did fit with a wounded and love hungry character who is an emotional mess. I connected with the characters who were all wounded in their own ways. I do wish there had been more growth on Anne's part, but perhaps that will come in a second book!
Karen
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You CAN judge a book by it's cover

I noticed this book because of its cover and title. The plot synopsis sealed my decision to download a sample on my Kindle. I love gothic, spooky stories and felt like I'd found a writer who was a kindred spirit. The story was everything I hoped it would be. I am looking forward to reading more novels by London Clark!
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

“Wildfell” is a modern-day Gothic suspense.

Read full review in the 2018 July Aug issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Cathie Hicks
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intriguing story

A mega haunted house and the evil it holds, innocent youths, truly bad people Well engineered story. Did not figure it out before. The reveal!
Marlena Lang
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I did not want to put it down, I read it in a few sittings. The characters are interesting and lovable. It keeps you on your toes the entire time. I definitely recommend.