Start by marking “Giant Days” as Want to Read:
Giant Days

Giant Days

Based on the hit graphic-novel series from BOOM! Studios, the publisher behind Lumberjanes, Giant Days follows the hilarious and heartfelt misadventures of three university first-years: Daisy, the innocent home-schooled girl; Susan, the sardonic wit; and Esther, the vivacious drama queen. While the girls seem very different, they become fast friends during their first week ...more
Published August 21st 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Giant Days, please sign up.
Janieke Koning You can read this first. In a way, the graphic novel series and this novel complement each other. It's not necessary for you to know Susan, Daisy and…moreYou can read this first. In a way, the graphic novel series and this novel complement each other. It's not necessary for you to know Susan, Daisy and Esther before you start reading :) (less)

Maddie
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
'Giant Days' was a bunch of marvellous fun, about the three best-est friends you could possibly read about. Non Pratt manages to take the exact essence of each character from the graphic novels and perfectly translate them into pure prose form. Each girl is equally focused on, so regardless of whether Susan, Daisy or Esther is your favourite, you'll definitely enjoy this book!

This also perfectly balanced appealing to fans of the graphic novels, while also introducing the characters to new reade
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Non Pratt perfectly captures the tone, humour and characters of Giant Days, and I would definitely read more books in this world written by her! It was exactly what I expected and hoped for, and now I just want to re-read all the comics again...
Marie Andrews
I haven't read any of the graphic novels that this is based on, so went straight into reading this with no context or idea at all of what to expect - other than I'm a huge fan of Non Pratt. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't understand some references or grasp the general characters, but I was wrong!

It follows the story of Daisy, Susan and Esther, as they embark in their university experience and some weird and quirky things arise. Not only do I think this book echoes some of my experiences of
Jane
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Completely missing what makes the comics so magical and fun. I went in expecting to love this, but I’m really disappointed.
Lauren James
Jun 10, 2018 added it
Shelves: lgbtqia, ukya
I am a HUGE fan of the graphic novels, so I nearly died of excitement when I found out that one of my favourite authors was writing a prequel to the series. It lived up to all my expectations: funny, sweet, action-packed and quirky.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I was really excited about this novel when I first learned of it because I'm a a huge fan of the graphic novel. So when I saw it available on Hoopla, I thought it was the perfect excuse to give it a go. Let's just say I should have stuck with the graphic novel.

That's not to say there weren't things I didn't enjoy. I love Ester, the Goth chick, and think she is a blast. However, I found it sad that someone who has so much going for her spent so much of the novel trying to be best buds with the ca
Catie
This book was mildly amusing, but it pales in comparison to the wildly entertaining comic book series. I am left wondering: who is the target audience here?

Fans of the comics don’t need to read this – it covers a lot of the same ground as the first volumes, and the new material really isn’t groundbreaking. The author even appears to painstakingly describe elements of the comic books in sections, much like a nature documentarian would for a herd of lions. Here we see Esther, wearing knee high bl
Izzy
May 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
THERES A BOOK FOR GIANT DAYS GRAPHIC NOVELS?! Hebsbahsbsnshhsbsnsjshnsbsbdjxjnslsjxjxjdnsnsndjjxjxnsbagajzmnshxuxnsmalzijznsnakalnzndjsjsmadhslaishdnsksnsjs
Connie
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ukya
4/5 stars

I love Giant Days. It's my favourite comic series, and, after seeing this on Netgalley, I knew I had to read it ASAP. I was fortunate enough to get access to this, and I'll definitely be buying a physical copy after how much I loved this book.

As far as I can tell, this takes place just after the events of the original minicomics but before the events of the second volume (my favourite, nudge nudge wink wink), although the timeline does feel very whack, honestly. Everyone goes through d
Mehsi
*flails around*My favourite girls are back, this time in novel/book form!

I was absolutely ecstatic when I heard about this project. Of course, I was also worried. Would the voices/characters still be the same (important to me), how about their friendship, or their college days, would this truly feel like a Giant Days graphic novel volume just without pictures?

I can answer all those questions now. Yes, and no.The characters were pretty much on point with the graphic novel (though Daisy was sligh
Robin Stevens
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Giant Days comics, and I love Non Pratt's YA novels - this combination of the two is just as funny and perfect as you might expect! (14+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Samantha (WLABB)
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I had never read the graphic novels upon which this book is based, I was still all in from the very first page. As soon as I was introduced to these three ladies, I knew I wanted to know them better.

• Pro: This book was pure fun. I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I read it. Giant Days combined great characters, snappy banter, and pitch perfect tone to produce a fabulous reading experience for me.

• Pro: I loved how different each of the women were, yet how well they complimented ea
Billie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This just never quite worked for me. I think, in part, that's due to the jumping around between characters and storylines. While this works in comics form, jumping from character to character and plot to plot within a chapter of a book leaves everything feeling a little disjointed and never really allows for the time necessary to get emotionally involved with any of it. Plus, if I hadn't already read the comics and known who these girls were from that context, I'd have been left with only the mo ...more
Jenna
Apr 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
Pre-Read: Aaaaa, must read!! I hadn’t even thought about an adaptation. But now I could definitely see either Giant Days or Bad Machinery as cartoons. If they’re making Hilda, I’m sure they could do them all!
Marco Morano
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, lgbtqia
This book was sent to me by the publishers for review as a part of the teenreads.com Teen Board.

Sionna
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

I'm so BUMMED!

I absolutely adore the graphic novel series this book is based off of, but just couldn't get into this. The book reads much like how the comic is... which I just don't think worked. I don't like POV switches mid-chapter without warning or division (might have just been the ARC or e-book copy but it was one paragraph about Susan then switched to Esther, then after 2 paragraphs to Dai
JW
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Giant Days is one of my favorite slice of life comics, so I was super excited to find out there was a stand alone novel based off of it. Non Pratt did a marvelous job of conveying the the quirky personalities of the various characters, their banter and antics, and the awesomeness that is their friendship.

The story revolves around three college freshmen who live on the same dorm room hall. We also get a cast of great supporting characters who add to the fun. Despite their massive differences, Da
Dani
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Giant Days is one of my very favorite comics, the one I read the same day I buy it, without fail. I adore this series. I admittedly read this novel with trepidation, because I feared that the characters I love would be amiss, but my worries were misplaced. This novel is fun and funny, and reminiscent of those confusing first days of adulthood. Susan, Daisy, and Esther (and Ed and McGraw!) were portrayed true to character, and this felt very comfortable to read.

My only complaint? No Dean Thompson
Becki
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I adore the Giant Days graphic Novels and this was a nice addition to the already beloved series. I really enjoyed how it took place before the first Giant Days volume we got to see the characters I believe more fleshed out. They were very sympathetic and relatable.

Lovers of the graphic novel will still enjoy this and even those who haven’t had the pleasure will still find Esther, Daisy and Susan great protagonists to read about.
Alicia
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A narrative version of the awesome graphic novels and Pratt cinematically captures what's drawn in graphics and translates it to text perfectly. I think you do need the context of the graphic novels though I think a non-graphic reader could certainly be entertained by its humor and hijinks then get into graphic novels if they weren't before.

I'm a fan of this cross-pollination of narrative complimenting a graphic novel series and this one was boatloads of university fun.
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
Whilst I haven't read all the comics that this novel is based from, this book stands alone. Its such a relief to have a book about university. I feel like there is such a gap in the market. As with all of Non's previous works, the characters are amazing and I immediately connected with them. I loved the first half, but felt the second half was too rushed, and felt like its purpose was more to tie up loose ends.
Jill
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Grace
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I promise this 5* review isn't just because there's a character named after me in this story. I genuinely loved this tale of best friends at university.

- Full review to come on almostamazinggrace.co.uk -
Jack Stark
Aug 20, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Unfortunately I'm having to DNF this at 25%. The charm and whit of the original comic doesn't translate well to a novel. I knew I was taking a bit of a risk when requesting this. I love the comics and really wanted to like this, but it wasn’t to be.
Rachel Macklin
This isn't a *bad* book, but the fact that this got kicked under my couch 2 weeks ago and I didn't think about it until just now says a lot
Charlotte
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, rc18
very entertaining story about three girls who become unlikely friends at university in England
David Owen
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely addition to the Giant Days canon, and a great opportunity to spend more time with characters I love. The novel manages to maintain the breezy, episodic nature of the graphic novels while still having strong plot threads that run all the way through. When I finished, I felt like I knew the characters better than I did before.
Kirsty
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-author, signed
I enjoyed this a lot it captured everything that was wonderful about the comics whilst being brilliant in their own right. I loved meeting the characters in the new format and following their story through the chaos of that first few months of university and everything that the experience can bring. I hope there are more books to follow.
Claire Thompson
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
For a novel based on the exceptional Boom!Box comic series Giant Days, this book does the best it can. Non Pratt replicates the snappy, witty dialogue of original author John Allison with a surprising ease, and the prose is generally in-character. It felt like a warm, familiar relief to settle back down into the familiar style and format of the Giant Days series. Seeing each of my favorite characters show up was like seeing an old friend, and these things made it a pleasant, enjoyable read.

Howev
Teenreadsdotcom
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Non Pratt, UK author of books such as TROUBLE and TRUTH OR DARE has a new release; GIANT DAYS. GIANT DAYS is the novelization of a popular graphic novel series Giant Days, in which we follow our three girls as they experience their first year of college. First, we have Esther, the emo goth girl who is struggling with trying to have fun and taking college seriously. Then there’s Susan, who is going into pre-med and doing fine until she randomly bumps into her ex-best friend, which causes some dra ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Non Pratt started her career working on non-fiction activity books at Usborne, before becoming an editor at Catnip Publishing. Her debut novel TROUBLE shortlisted for the YA Book Prize and the Branford Boase Award, with rights sold to the USA, Germany and Brazil. Her second novel, REMIX came out in 2015 and a novella, UNBOXED for Barrington Stoke in 2016. Her third novel with Walker Books, TRUTH O ...more