Start by marking “Giant Days” as Want to Read:
Giant Days

Giant Days

Based on the hit graphic-novel series from BOOM! Studios, the publisher behind Lumberjanes, Giant Days follows the hilarious and heartfelt misadventures of three university first-years: Daisy, the innocent home-schooled girl; Susan, the sardonic wit; and Esther, the vivacious drama queen. While the girls seem very different, they become fast friends during their first week ...more
Published August 21st 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Giant Days, please sign up.
Janieke Koning You can read this first. In a way, the graphic novel series and this novel complement each other. It's not necessary for you to know Susan, Daisy and …moreYou can read this first. In a way, the graphic novel series and this novel complement each other. It's not necessary for you to know Susan, Daisy and Esther before you start reading :) (less)

Start your review of Giant Days
Maddie
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
'Giant Days' was a bunch of marvellous fun, about the three best-est friends you could possibly read about. Non Pratt manages to take the exact essence of each character from the graphic novels and perfectly translate them into pure prose form. Each girl is equally focused on, so regardless of whether Susan, Daisy or Esther is your favourite, you'll definitely enjoy this book!

This also perfectly balanced appealing to fans of the graphic novels, while also introducing the characters to new reade
Jade Ratley
May 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this didn't hit the mark for me, and I feel like it took away a lot of what I love about the Giant Days Comics. The plot felt a little weak and I feel like we didn't get much insight to the characters real personalities (which we get a lot more of in the comics).

For me, the Giant Days comics are a lot of fun, bright and fluffy, and this took that away. I still love the characters, but I think that might be because I'm already so attached to them from the Comics.

I didn't get anyt
Bee
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ukya, review-books
Non Pratt perfectly captures the tone, humour and characters of Giant Days, and I would definitely read more books in this world written by her! It was exactly what I expected and hoped for, and now I just want to re-read all the comics again...
Lauren James
[Gifted]

I am a HUGE fan of the graphic novels, so I nearly died of excitement when I found out that one of my favourite authors was writing a prequel to the series. It lived up to all my expectations: funny, sweet, action-packed and quirky.
Emily Duncan
WHAT A DELIGHT
Marie Andrews
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I haven't read any of the graphic novels that this is based on, so went straight into reading this with no context or idea at all of what to expect - other than I'm a huge fan of Non Pratt. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't understand some references or grasp the general characters, but I was wrong!

It follows the story of Daisy, Susan and Esther, as they embark in their university experience and some weird and quirky things arise. Not only do I think this book echoes some of my experiences of
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
2.5 stars. Completely missing what makes the comics so magical and fun. I went in expecting to love this, but I’m really disappointed.
Catie
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was mildly amusing, but it pales in comparison to the wildly entertaining comic book series. I am left wondering: who is the target audience here?

Fans of the comics don’t need to read this – it covers a lot of the same ground as the first volumes, and the new material really isn’t groundbreaking. The author even appears to painstakingly describe elements of the comic books in sections, much like a nature documentarian would for a herd of lions. Here we see Esther, wearing knee high bl
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I was really excited about this novel when I first learned of it because I'm a a huge fan of the graphic novel. So when I saw it available on Hoopla, I thought it was the perfect excuse to give it a go. Let's just say I should have stuck with the graphic novel.

That's not to say there weren't things I didn't enjoy. I love Ester, the Goth chick, and think she is a blast. However, I found it sad that someone who has so much going for her spent so much of the novel trying to be best buds with the ca
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I enjoyed this but the simplistic writing style and the plot that kept jumping around kept me from reading it in one sitting and instead it took me over a month.

This book definitely has a way of making me remember my first year of uni, I related to so many of the struggles that are mentioned and I would have loved this book more then.

I am still thinking of picking up the graphic novel series but hopefully I can borrow them from the library.
Stacey (prettybooks)
Even though I've only read the first volume of the graphic novels, I was so excited to hear about this book inspired by the Giant Days series – and written by one of my favourite YA authors! In Giant Days, we follow the lives of "three university first-years: Daisy, the innocent home-schooled girl; Susan, the sardonic wit; and Esther, the vivacious drama queen".

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.

#gifted: Thank you to the publisher for providing this book for free in exchange
connie
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

I love Giant Days. It's my favourite comic series, and, after seeing this on Netgalley, I knew I had to read it ASAP. I was fortunate enough to get access to this, and I'll definitely be buying a physical copy after how much I loved this book.

As far as I can tell, this takes place just after the events of the original minicomics but before the events of the second volume (my favourite, nudge nudge wink wink), although the timeline does feel very whack, honestly. Everyone goes through d
Jenna
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read that captures the hearts of our trio perfectly. It managed to feel familiar yet not stale, which was what I worried a bit about when starting the book. But our new side characters did a great job in creating what I could easily see as a new arc in the comics. I am glad that they did squeeze in Daisy's attractions, as that's something that starts a bit later. Will definitely look into this author more, and I'll have to resist a grand reread of all of John Allison's epic works ...more
Mehsi
*flails around*My favourite girls are back, this time in novel/book form!

I was absolutely ecstatic when I heard about this project. Of course, I was also worried. Would the voices/characters still be the same (important to me), how about their friendship, or their college days, would this truly feel like a Giant Days graphic novel volume just without pictures?

I can answer all those questions now. Yes, and no.The characters were pretty much on point with the graphic novel (though Daisy was sligh
Robin Stevens
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Giant Days comics, and I love Non Pratt's YA novels - this combination of the two is just as funny and perfect as you might expect! (14+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Samantha (WLABB)
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I had never read the graphic novels upon which this book is based, I was still all in from the very first page. As soon as I was introduced to these three ladies, I knew I wanted to know them better.

• Pro: This book was pure fun. I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I read it. Giant Days combined great characters, snappy banter, and pitch perfect tone to produce a fabulous reading experience for me.

• Pro: I loved how different each of the women were, yet how well they complimented ea
Billie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This just never quite worked for me. I think, in part, that's due to the jumping around between characters and storylines. While this works in comics form, jumping from character to character and plot to plot within a chapter of a book leaves everything feeling a little disjointed and never really allows for the time necessary to get emotionally involved with any of it. Plus, if I hadn't already read the comics and known who these girls were from that context, I'd have been left with only the mo ...more
Jess 📚
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5! I did enjoy this book. It was silly and quirky and I liked the writing. It was easy to read however it just didn’t grip me or hold my attention for very long when I was reading it. I’d read for 20 mins and then be ready to put it down.

The characters were just like the graphic novel, funny with great dialogue. More fleshed out which is the benefit of a novel.

I liked this but much prefer the graphic novel tbh.
Allison
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun read that really captures the voices of the main characters!
Kara Babcock
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Having not read the graphic novels that started this series, I can’t compare them to Giant Days the novel. Nevertheless, the fingerprints of comic form are all over this book. By this I mean that Non Pratt manages to replicate the slight zaniness inherent in any comic universe, even one purporting to be as prosaic as a story about three people in university. This shouldn’t always work in the novel form (it’s why so many superhero novels fall flat for me), yet Pratt somehow nails it.

Susan, Daisy,
Luana
As with any novelisation of a beloved graphic novel I entered this read worried that it would not do it justice - I needn't have been. It utterly did justice to the three university friends; Daisy (in all her sweet authenticity, earnestness and nascent queerness), Susan (bluntly caustic, practical and ready to rumble for her sense of justice), and Esther (happy goth literary beauty with a flair for drama and for skipping lectures and reading requirements). It not only gave them a whole new adven ...more
Marco Morano
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This book was sent to me by the publishers for review as a part of the teenreads.com Teen Board.

Non Pratt, UK author of books such as TROUBLE and TRUTH OR DARE has a new release; GIANT DAYS. GIANT DAYS is the novelization of a popular graphic novel series Giant Days, in which we follow our three girls as they experience their first year of college. First, we have Esther, the emo goth girl who is struggling with trying to have fun and taking college seriously. Then there’s Susan, who is going in
Rajiv
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Many thanks to Netgalley in providing me an e-ARC of the book.

I have not read the graphic novels prior to reading this, hence my opinions are solely based on this novel. When I started reading this book, I did not think I would enjoy it. The author jumps right into the story and I felt like there was no time to gradually introduce and personalize with the characters. However, as I continued reading, I started to enjoy the plot and the characters as well. The plot is a bit silly, and the characte
Sionna
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

I'm so BUMMED!

I absolutely adore the graphic novel series this book is based off of, but just couldn't get into this. The book reads much like how the comic is... which I just don't think worked. I don't like POV switches mid-chapter without warning or division (might have just been the ARC or e-book copy but it was one paragraph about Susan then switched to Esther, then after 2 paragraphs to Dai
JW
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-gn
Giant Days is one of my favorite slice of life comics, so I was super excited to find out there was a stand alone novel based off of it. Non Pratt did a marvelous job of conveying the the quirky personalities of the various characters, their banter and antics, and the awesomeness that is their friendship.

The story revolves around three college freshmen who live on the same dorm room hall. We also get a cast of great supporting characters who add to the fun. Despite their massive differences, Da
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
I'm a huge fan of Non Pratt and I've loved everything by her that I've read. I always look forward to her books and as well as this e-book from Netgalley, I also own a signed paperback of this book.

I've not read the graphic novels of which this book is based, but from this book it seems as though the graphic novels would be a lot of fun! Based on three friend, Esther, Susan and Daisy, as readers follow their adventures in university navigating school work, friendships, hobbies and relationships
Dani
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Giant Days is one of my very favorite comics, the one I read the same day I buy it, without fail. I adore this series. I admittedly read this novel with trepidation, because I feared that the characters I love would be amiss, but my worries were misplaced. This novel is fun and funny, and reminiscent of those confusing first days of adulthood. Susan, Daisy, and Esther (and Ed and McGraw!) were portrayed true to character, and this felt very comfortable to read.

My only complaint? No Dean Thompson
Debbie
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whilst I haven't read all the comics that this novel is based from, this book stands alone. Its such a relief to have a book about university. I feel like there is such a gap in the market. As with all of Non's previous works, the characters are amazing and I immediately connected with them. I loved the first half, but felt the second half was too rushed, and felt like its purpose was more to tie up loose ends.
Alicia
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A narrative version of the awesome graphic novels and Pratt cinematically captures what's drawn in graphics and translates it to text perfectly. I think you do need the context of the graphic novels though I think a non-graphic reader could certainly be entertained by its humor and hijinks then get into graphic novels if they weren't before.

I'm a fan of this cross-pollination of narrative complimenting a graphic novel series and this one was boatloads of university fun.
Becki
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I adore the Giant Days graphic Novels and this was a nice addition to the already beloved series. I really enjoyed how it took place before the first Giant Days volume we got to see the characters I believe more fleshed out. They were very sympathetic and relatable.

Lovers of the graphic novel will still enjoy this and even those who haven’t had the pleasure will still find Esther, Daisy and Susan great protagonists to read about.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Giant Days: Early Registration
  • Giant Days: Extra Credit (Giant Days: Extra Credit, #1)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 10  (Giant Days, #10)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11 (Giant Days, #11)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 7 (Giant Days, #7)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 12 (Giant Days, #12)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 4 (Giant Days, #4)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 3 (Giant Days, #3)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 5 (Giant Days, #5)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 13 (Giant Days, #13)
  • By Night, Vol. 1
  • Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass
  • Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2)
  • The Great Godden
  • Jackalope Springs Eternal (Lumberjanes, Vol. 12)
Non Pratt started her career working on non-fiction activity books at Usborne, before becoming an editor at Catnip Publishing. Her debut novel TROUBLE shortlisted for the YA Book Prize and the Branford Boase Award, with rights sold to the USA, Germany and Brazil. Her second novel, REMIX came out in 2015 and a novella, UNBOXED for Barrington Stoke in 2016. Her third novel with Walker Books, TRUTH O ...more