Start by marking “The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #7)

The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Bernie Rhodenbarr #7)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  2,253 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
Bookseller Bernie Rhodenbarr's in love—with an exotic Eastern European beauty who shares his obsession with Humphrey Bogart movies. He's in heaven, munching popcorn with his new amour every night at a Bogart Film Festival—until their Casablanca-esque idyll is cut short by his other secret passion: burglary.

When he's hired to pilfer a portfolio of valuable documents from a
Published October 31st 2006 by HarperTorch (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
541 books — 1,220 voters
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. ChestertonThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver SacksThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
"The {_______} Who " Titles
358 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

James Thane
This is another light, entertaining book in Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr series. Bernie, for those who haven't met him, is a gentleman burglar who also runs a New York City bookstore. He often finds himself in sticky situations that he has to resolve himself before the police decide to pin whatever mischief is involved on him.

In this case, Bernie is strongly attracted to a beautiful eastern European woman who wanders into his bookstore one afternoon. It turns out that they share a love of
Tim
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
An excellent story if you're not into much excitement and a so-called burglar remindful of a kicked puppy. 4 of 10 stars
Kathy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A gift of comic delight, this is my first Bernie Rhodenbarr book. The next time I am feeling blue I will grab another of these based on the comic relief I found in this one.
"Of all the bookstores in all the towns in all the world, she walked into mine." Bernie responds to this striking new customer who asks if she is disturbing him, "I was reading....nothing important." She asked, "What are you reading?"
"The history of civilization."
They become fast friends, agreeing to meet every night at the
Bodosika Bodosika
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Though some persons may like it but it is not for me.Barely able to finish it.
Monnie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just what I'll do once I've finished all the books in this series I'm not sure; each and every one so far has been a treasure to which I treat myself after finishing up a particularly difficult novel (or a spectacularly lousy one). I know I can count on these to lift my spirits, provide a chuckle or two and entertain me with a good, old-fashioned murder mystery.

The main character, Bernie Rhodenbarr, is the owner of a small Greenwich Village bookstore - but that's not his primary source of income
Gregory
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Bernie is up to his usual high jinx though this time he gets ensnared by a beautiful woman who, like Bernie, loves Bogart films. The story has some eccentric characters that all seem interested in the doings of the (fictional) kingdom of Anatruria (think Eastern European place). The story is fun with plenty of the usual humor. Not Bernie's strongest outing but not his weakest.
David Highton
I had thought Bernie's tales were getting a bit formulaic but this one differs a little, with Bernie never in danger of jail, but dedicating himself to solving a murder mystery. The Eastern European plot line is very reminiscent of some of Block's Evan Tanner storylines penned 30 years prior.
Mike
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This may be the first Lawrence Block novel that I have read. I took it along as a back-up book on a business trip and, since said trip expanded from one to two weeks, began it the evening before I wrapped up. My selection criteria were very simple: small, lightweight, and something that I might enjoy (solely based on the cover/title). I am happy to report that it excelled in all areas.

On a typical trip I only get a few minutes or reading in late in a very long day and this one was no exception.
Jon
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this one on a long plane flight, and it kept we awake and laughing the whole way. Like all the burglar books, it has a very intricate plot, with clues scattered in fairly open sight. It plays affectionately with other books in the genre: one character is a Sue Grafton fan and imagines possible books, such as one where a jazz band leader is murdered "A is for Train". There is the classic gathering of suspects a la Agatha Christie, with the detective explaining everything and identifying the ...more
Jan
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Oh Bernard" said she, and "we will always have 25th street", says he, and the tape ends, and one smiles. This was a book tape, and I always enjoy Lawrence Blocks books on tape re "Bernard", they are light and funny, and make me smile.

Story, Bernie is working in his book shop, and along comes a job offer, Bernard has a side line where he acquires acquisitions. In short, Bernie is a burglar, Bernie also like Bogart movies and a new women comes into his life, just as there is a Bogart film festiva
K
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I began reading this series with The Burglar Who Counted Spoons and loved it. So, it was with great anticipation that I read The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart, #7 in Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr series. It was somewhat disappointing in comparison, but still a breezy and cleverly plotted work. Nevertheless, I thought it was too forced, with too much time spent on a rather convoluted plot-line involving a quasi-international intrigue and scenes that simply did nothing to move the plot fo ...more
Amorak Huey
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I tend to prefer Scudder, but the Bernie Rhodenbarr series is enjoyable as well. This was a re-read. It's quick, funny, smartly paced.
Jrobertus
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bernie Rhodenbarr is one of Block's series characters. He is a cat burglar who steals from the rich becasue they have the stuff (and he rationalizes they don't need it all). He also runs a used book store and is quite erudite. As in the Scudder series, Block's characters participate in sharp, witty dialog and banter so they are great fun to read. It is much easier to identify with this character than, say, Block's hit-man series where the protagonist is a hired killer. In this novel Bernie is as ...more
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
This is just a happy series for me. I allot myself these out bit by bit so I can enjoy the series as long as possible.
Sharon
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Bernie is in love with a mysterious woman and attending Humphrey Bogart movies with her every night. This of course leads to burglary and a murder investigation. This time Block has not one, but two characters who have a dead-on imitation of the Sidney Greensteet character speech patterns. Loved it.

I noticed that Block also pays a major hommage to the "mean streets" type of detective novel. As I was reading this, I thought that he must really read a lot of those novels. Then I picked up one of
Laurie
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
My first Lawrence Block book. My mother in law gave us a sack of these, as my husband enjoys them. I have not been making it too the library as much as usual so I've been picking these up when I need a fun read. I really liked this book. It is about a thief who owns a bookstore. He meets a mysterious woman, attends a Bogart film festival with her, and keeps involved in a mystery. This is the only one of this series in our sack o' books, but I plan to get more from the library.
Chris Birdy
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable Lawrence Block book with the lovable bookseller Bernie Rhodenbarr. In addition to being a tribute to Humphrey Bogart and his many movies it also had the old fashioned feel of Nero Wolfe in bringing the suspects together (in the bookstore). This would have been a five star read except there were many characters with strange names. I almost needed a scorecard to keep track. But Bernie and Lawrence Block overcome all.
Vicki Cline
I read some of the Burglar series years ago, and this one has been sitting on my shelf for a long time. It was fun because the dialog is so good. The "case" turns out to be like one of Bogart's movies and it ends like another one (I won't spoil it by saying which ones). The solution to the crime is a bit disappointing, but overall it was worth reading.
Jeff Dickison
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good entry into the Rhodenbarr series as Bernie must figure who stole what from whom. This is my second read in the "Burglar" series and I enjoyed this one much more than the previous book. Recommended.
Bea
Feb 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that the Bernie Rhodenbarr Mysteries are not very deep or intricate, but I really enjoy them. More of a cozy mystery. The characters are fun; the situations are intersting; and he is a skillful yet bumbling type of burglar. Lots of fun to read.
Tom
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent, playful setting - great use of Bogart references, and the usual high standard of complex plot
Jerry
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Another Bernie Rhodenbarr novel. A Light and entertaining read.
Jason Edwards
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
My goal is to read a book a week for the whole year, and even though it's still only January, I feel like I'm behind. I had to abandon a bad (boring) book after 400 pages, and then another 400 pager took me longer to read than usual. Thank goodness there's these snappy little Burglar books to get me caught up.

In my review of the previous book to Bogart (Ted Williams) I didn't have too many good things to say. I liked this one better. Maybe because it was a relief to get back to a straightforward
Crzy D
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I usually enjoy Bernie's exploits but this was bit of a snooze compared to his other books. He just dint feel committed to the plot. The Bogart references were fun but seemed a bit of a ruse to explain all the uncharacteristic Bernie behavior. Not his best
RetroHound
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Lawrence Block can write some pretty witty stuff. Really enjoyed several of the lines. This is very different than the Matthew Scudder story from the same author. The Rhodenbarr book is pretty lighthearted while the Scudder is pretty serious.
Chatgemini
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A highly rated book that was on my reading shelf for a long long time. Though I enjoyed reading it and the plot was plausible, it never came close to being a first rate thriller. I hope other books by Lawrence Block are better
David C Ward
Somehow missed this one in the Rhidenbarr series. Not that good. A Bogart theme that gets tired quickly and a semi-Bogart Movie plot that wheezes along. A lot of filler which isn't usual for Block.
Kim
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as usual.
Brian
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Plot a little more opaque than the others; you’re waiting for him to reveal it and the jumps he makes are a little more tenuous than usual. Still a great cast of characters. Always a good time.
John Ayer
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Typical NYC dime fiction murder mystery.
  • Invisible Boy (Madeline Dare, #3)
  • Hades (Andrews, Russell)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
  • As Dog is My Witness (Aaron Tucker Mystery #3)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Absent Friends
  • Drowned Hopes (Dortmunder, #7)
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • The Phantom of Manhattan
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
  • A Mischief in the Snow (Bracebridge Mystery, #4)
  • Killing Castro (Hard Case Crime #51)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Tough Luck
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho: A Reader's Guide
  • A Right to Die (Nero Wolfe, #40)
Lawrence Block has been writing crime, mystery, and suspense fiction for more than half a century. He has published in excess (oh, wretched excess!) of 100 books, and no end of short stories.

Born in Buffalo, N.Y., LB attended Antioch College, but left before completing his studies; school authorities advised him that they felt he’d be happier elsewhere, and he thought this was remarkably perceptiv
More about Lawrence Block

Bernie Rhodenbarr (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • The Burglar in the Closet (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #2)
  • The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #3)
  • The Burglar Who Studied Spinoza (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #4)
  • The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #5)
  • The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #6)
  • The Burglar in the Library (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #8)
  • The Burglar in the Rye (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #9)
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #11)