Start by marking “Evaluation: A Systematic Approach” as Want to Read:
Evaluation: A Systematic Approach

Evaluation: A Systematic Approach

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Since Peter H. Rossi, Mark W. Lipsey, and Howard E. Freeman first published Evaluation: A Systematic Approach, more than 90,000 readers have considered it the premier text on how to design, implement, and appraise social programs through evaluation. In this, the completely revised Seventh Edition, authors Rossi and Lipsey include the latest techniques and approaches to eva ...more
Hardcover, 7th edition, 480 pages
Published October 14th 2003 by Sage Publications, Inc (first published April 1st 1979)

Nusrat
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
This textbook is unnecessarily long and dense. There is a ton of needless repetition and a lack of images and diagrams. It can easily be summarized in less than a 150 pages. The editors need to do a better job of trimming the fat.
Katie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have been working in evaluation for years and this book was part of my grad program. That being said, I'm not a good person to ask if this is a helpful textbook since it was largely review for me. However, I will say that it is ridiculously redundant. It could have been pruned down to a third its length without sacrificing content. Also, it has a very obvious slant toward quantitative methods - which the authors acknowledge - and that's fine. But they spend like three chapters explaining stati ...more
Alexandra Chauran
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Read this for my doctoral program. This sure covered the bases and was less of a yawn than some other books I read. However, it really grills my cheese when authors cite their own writing numerous times throughout the work. To me it says "hey, I didn't want to do a lot of research for this particular book." If I wanted to read all the stuff from your other periodicals and books, I would be reading those.
Melissa
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
As far as text books go, this one is good. It provides a Summary and Key Concepts at the end of every chapter which is perfect for us non-traditional students who are employed and have families.

THIS CLASS IS OVER~ The book was hardly used - we mostly used journal articles and did a program evaluation as a project.
Bull
Jul 19, 2009 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: project managers, business owners
I am still reading but so far, there is a lot from evaluating programs within the organization to see if programs and project are feasible and achieving objectives. if not evaluation will recommend alternative strategies to help move projects forward.
Bernadet
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I know it's kind of lame to review your textbooks, but a book is a book right? Anyhoo, this book is amazing. It's clear, minimizes jargon, and is sectioned off in a neat way (definitions for terms are provided at the end of each chapter plus real-life examples). Great book.
Carey
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!
Alex
Jan 17, 2008 rated it liked it
I hate school!

As an evaluation book, I suppose it was alright. Not exactly thrilling, but easy to read.
Jason M Waltz
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beneficial text, easy to read and follow. Definitely contributed to my successful completion of an 18-required-papers class!
Olapeju Babatunde
Aug 13, 2016 marked it as to-read
I think the book will enhance my profession.
Alena Gomulina
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Clinical Psychopharmacology Made Ridiculously Simple
  • Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Silently Seduced: When Parents Make their Children Partners - Understanding Covert Incest
  • Educational Research: An Introduction
  • Fiscal Administration: Analysis and Applications for the Public Sector
  • Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory
  • Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods)
  • Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
  • Writing Ethnographic Fieldnotes
  • Practical Research: Planning and Design
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • Policy Analysis: Concepts and Practice
  • Buzzed: The Straight Facts about the Most Used & Abused Drugs from Alcohol to Ecstasy
  • Sensation and Perception