Start by marking “Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories

Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The latest in the bestselling series of Americana occult folklore collections that have included Haunted America and Historic Haunted America, Haunted Heritage brings together yet another amazing collection of spectral tales from all across the United States and Canada.

The tales-based on interviews, public records, and family histories-reach from coast-to-coast in the Uni
Published October 19th 2003 by Tor Books (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Heritage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Heritage

Jessica
Most of the stories were repeats from his other books.
Dona Omaits
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I tend to read more than one book at a time and that is one reason that I appreciate this book; it is divided into categories of hauntings, and the stories are usually short enough to read a section at a time. I can put it down and come back to it anytime. However, it is difficult to put down--the stories are intriguing. So much so, that I find myself wanting to research some of them to find out more or view photos (if any exist). The best part of Haunted Heritage are the stories themselves. Mic ...more
Jewell Moreno
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think what I like most about "true" haunting books, is the history you learn about the areas, that are haunted. If I ever got into the supernatural field, I'd probably be the one who researched everything. This is not your stay awake all night you're too afraid to sleep ghost stories. Just some great history and documented haunted locations. I got a little bored with all the mysterious lights locations in the world, and really believe that 90% of that has a scientific explanation we haven't di ...more
Cathy
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I don't know what I was thinking, I wanted a book that gave me chills but wasn't as scary as The Shining (which I was too scared to read past page 80). This book made me roll my eyes. I read all about the family of Nathan Hale and the haunting part? It was about two sentences that said someone heard footsteps once and no one could say what had caused them. Lame-o! This book should be called Heritage with the Littlest Bit of Stupid Ghost Stories Thrown In.
Vicki G
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took too long to read, but not because it was boring. All the pressure I felt to finish it by a stupid deadline, which was governed by those damn reading challenges took all the enjoyment out of the story.
I'm pretty sure that NEXT year (xx) I'll be refusing the reading challenge.
I read to enjoy myself not to feel like I'm at work and racing against the clock to get things done.
Karen Jones
This one was not nearly as good as the authors' Haunted Historic America. The stories were organized in a haphazard way, and some of the stories don't merit being included in the book. It's as if the authors wanted to cram in every haunted story they'd ever heard.
Michael
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book in the Haunted America series by Norman and his late co author, Ms Scott. It also marks the first appearance of ghost hunter and now published author Michael Renegar, ion 2 chapters, one called The Story Man!
Bigfatsheep
To be honest, I can't remember if I liked this book because I read it when it first came out 13 years ago. I do remember that I was excited to find a ghost book at the airport gift shop though. That alone earns it a solid 3 stars.
Alisha Kennedy
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Had to sleep with the light on while reading this book, but otherwise I enjoyed it and learned some historical facts along the way. If I had to choose the creepiest it would have to be "Something Evil on Larabee Street" page 179.
Lauren
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really embraces the folklore and story-telling of times past, but with current testimony and documentation as the stories unfold. Good Read for travel.
Shelley
scares the crap out of me every time I read it. Mostly because I always get the urge to read it around Halloween.
Linda
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this compilation of hauntings across the nation.
Audrey
Oct 16, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold, history
I wanted to read this before Halloween. It's a history book/ book of ghost stories combination. So far so good...
Bobby newman
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A very good anthology of ghost stories. I enjoyed them very much.
Wendy Mills
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this collection of Ghost Stories from all over the U.S.
Joel Manuel
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the long line of ghost story collections by Michael Norman and Beth Scott, in my opinion the most important "ghost authors" of the last 30 years (only rivaled by Holzer).
Tori Roca-Mace
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • Ghosts I've Met
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Ghosts Caught On Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions, and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Haunted Ohio III: Still More Ghostly Tales from the Buckeye State
  • The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
  • Haunted Cemeteries: Creepy Crypts, Spine-Tingling Spirits, and Midnight Mayhem
  • Ghosts of the McBride House: A True Haunting
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • Don't Call Them Ghosts: The Spirit Children of Fontaine Manse
Michael Norman is a writer who makes his home in Western Wisconsin.

He is the author most recently of "The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends," published in 2009 by the Minnesota Historical Society Press.

He is the co-author with the late Beth Scott of the popular Haunted America series of ghost stories, and the co-author with writer Carol Roecklein of two vocabulary books written
More about Michael Norman...