Start by marking “Vintage: A Ghost Story” as Want to Read:
Vintage: A Ghost Story

Vintage: A Ghost Story

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
In a small New Jersey town a lonely boy walking along a highway one autumn evening meets the boy of his dreams, a boy who happens to have died decades ago and haunts the road. Awkward crushes, both bitter and sweet, lead him to face youthful dreams and childish fears. With a cast of offbeat friends, antiques, and Ouija boards, Vintage offers readers a memorable blend of da ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Harrington Park Press

To ask other readers questions about Vintage, please sign up.
Rick What sex there was was really minimal yet very erotic in a way that is suitable for YA audiences as well as adults

Jean Roberta
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A good novel about teenagers is hard to find. The ones written by precocious teenage authors are likely to seem raw around the edges, and the ones written by adults are likely to sound patronizing or formula-driven. Vintage is that rare thing, an interesting novel about teenagers as complex human beings with emotional depth and an awareness of their place in history. These kids are all right, Goth style and all.

The seventeen-year-old male narrator knows that his parents would never accept his se
Lena Grey
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Generally, ghost stories tend to distress rather than soothe me; however, Steve Berman's ghost story, 'Vintage' was an exception. His ghosts and the paranormal events connected with them, were introduced so nonchalantly that their existence seemed almost like a normal, everyday occurrence. It was interesting how Steve Berman used clothing to link past and present. Each costume had its own story to tell and provided clues to help solve the story's mysteries. “Vintage' is also the first story I've ...more
Kaje Harper
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, m-m, fantasy
Steve Berman does a lot of anthologies, but I really like his own writing and this young-adult book has a good mix of character, tone and plot. In fact, other than the age of the characters, it doesn't have that consciously young-adult tone that some otherwise good YA books do. I keep hoping for a sequel, but no luck so far.
John
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
This book felt strangely both too long and too short (but that didn't average out to just right). There were a lot of side-stories that felt completely unneeded. Like, why do we need the lesbian couple? And moreover, why do we have to witness their fight? And why does the main character have to go to Philly with one of the lesbians and her parents? Completely superfluous to the actual plot.

That being said, the main plot was well-told. Just somehow felt too fast, like more could have been put int
Justin Nova
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
*** Audio***
Interesting book! Loved the narration! I literally jumped out of my seat a few times while listening. I'll look for more from this author and definitely the narrator.
Lauren Barrett
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked up “Vintage” when reading an article about the lack of good gay/lesbian young adult fiction. This is a great example of the genre.

The narrator of “Vintage” is a teen whose personal life is in an upset. Remember all the angsty poetry? Don’t lie. I know you’ve written some.

After being outed as gay to his parents and half his hometown, he finds refuge in a creepy little town in New Jersey where he makes friends with a girl interested in all things macabre. Their favorite pastime is dress
Nathan Burgoine
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt
To say that VINTAGE stole all my attention over the last two days would be understating. My Kobo and I were inseparable, sneaking a read on breaks and bus rides, at breakfast and dinner, and finally, the last few pages before bed.

I loved this.

It's not often I feel lucky enough to find a young adult book where the protagonist is a well-written gay teen, and it's even less often that teen isn't your typical example. The goth, vintage clothes loving voice in this book was a delight.

Having run away
Cindi
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While searching for a unique YA book I stumbled upon Vintage: A Ghost Story. I decided to take a chance with no clue of what I was getting into. I am so glad I did. This book could never be classified as more of the same. While the characters are all in their teens and they have the same issues that most teenagers deal with, the MC in this story is faced with things most aren't... one being a ghost named Josh Wyle. A ghost who became a legend in the area after he was struck and killed b
Ami

"In a small town, a lonely teen walking along a highway one autumn evening meets the boy of his dreams, a boy who happens to have died decades ago and haunts the road" ...

Reading that blurb, I thought the angst love story will happen between the hero and the ghost. Until further along the story, the "relationship" turns to sinister, as Josh (the ghost) seems to be jealous of our unnamed hero (we only know his last name, Vesely), and was able to do more harm. I thought the story was real
Jon
Excellent gay YA speculative novel with a little bit of mystery. Highly recommended, and not just to YA readers.
Kassa
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a few years old and has been re-released by Lethe Press, receiving glowing accolades from almost every corner. As a fan of Berman’s writing, I expected Vintage to delight and enthrall while offering more questions and possibilities as his stories inevitably do. Thankfully Vintage offered all I was expecting and more, bringing a new challenge in writing a review for a story that has been so thoroughly covered and lauded. So if anything I have to offer has already been said, hopefully ...more
Teal
*** 3.5 stars ***

A strong 1st-person voice and a cast of utterly non-stereotypical characters made this an easy story to sink into. As the narrator (unnamed, which I never noticed while reading the book!) discovers his ability to see and communicate with ghosts, the story takes on a creepy edge; one scene actually frightened me. (I'm a sissy that way, so YMMV.)

I found the first half of the book noticeably stronger than the second half; the latter seemed a bit disjointed somehow, not as polished
J.
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A superb YA ghost story and an excellent YA gay romance novel rolled into one. My only complaint is that I would have loved to,live in this world longer--could have gone on another hundred pages with no complain from me. Highly recommended.
BingeOnBooks
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ryn
Oct 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Rick
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a really well done book in my opinion. I enjoyed the characters and their quirks. The mystery is well done and I didn't see some of it coming and that is always a good indication of a well thought out plot and characters.

I found really nothing wrong with the exception to the font size jumping all around. Editing seemed to miss that.

I look forward to reading more of Mr. Berman's books
B
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
This audio book was very pleasant to listen to, may be I would have not given it 4 stars if I read it on print ,but the audio made it very Delightful to listen to, The narrator is one of those rare great ones .
This was Creepy at times and a bit romantic, but very nostalgic. Good story to listen to like a radio show of the 1950's
Seth
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I rated this 2 stars for mostly one reason. I have no idea who the target audience is. I'm going to break it down into pros and cons.

Pros:
The characters are fairly realistic (though I thought the main character was a little too compliant with most things), and the plot, overall, fairly interesting. Nothing groundbreaking here. It's a typical coming-out story filled with conveniently place gay boys (and ghosts) for the protagonist to get involved with and come to terms.

Cons: In my opinion, the b
Madison Keller
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was a very classic ghost story / love story. I loved how LGBTQA+ it was. The writing is clear and easy to read and the story has definite character and plot arcs. It hits all the right notes as the main character learns about the difference between love and attraction.
⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
3.8 Stars

YA is usually hit or miss with me...but I liked the YA aspects of this story quite a bit. It was the ghosty/medium MC-part of the plot that kinda fell flat...although I can appreciate the not-so-subtle message/warning against desiring the unattainable, the seemingly perfect, when what you really want and need can be right in front of you.

I also liked the side-characters more than I did protagonist or his love interest - who are like 17/18 and 14/15 respectively...but since the book has
Cassie Robinson
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this novel quite a while back on one of my summer trips to California and I absolutely loved it. The story is really unique and the characters are very well rounded. I loved the angsty atmosphere of the story. I can't remember all the details since it was such a while ago but I believe it is about a boy who comes across a ghost on a walk home? I might be wrong. But anyhow, the story was fast paced and the writing style was very lyrical. Great read! I want more from this author!
Ula'ndi Hart
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall book rating: 3
Audio Book: Jason Frazier - 4
Book Cover: 2

Interesting little titbit. Not something I’d usually read, seeing as it’s a very “tame” version of romance, but I enjoyed it. It was really interesting.

And as usual Jason Frazier showed us how talented he is yet again.
T.W. Amburgey
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would have given it five stars, but it was really too short and I SOOOO WANTED to see more of the happily ever after with Second Mike.
Peppermaud
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great ghost love story! Audiobook was fantastic!
Silkeeeeeereads
This is really more of a paranormal (ghost) story than an erotic romance. It's also YA. There's no sex, lots of MM kissing.
Zuska
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Zuska by: A friend
A sweet and eerie young adult novel that captures the angst of being a teen, feeling awkward, knowing you are different, and wondering if anyone will ever love you. The young protagonist falls for a seductive ghost, and finds his life imperiled. Good friends help keep him safe, he solves a mystery, and decides he had been so preoccupied with wanting love, he neglected to ask himself what love wanted back from him. The plot device of a ghostly first love operates as an extended metaphor for how w ...more
The Novel Approach Reviews
Hand to heart, I finished this novel in the middle of the night, snuggled under the covers during a thunderstorm, and it was perfection. I can’t think of a better way to read this book than with all the lights off and your imagination in full fright mode. If you love a good old fashioned, chill you to the bone ghost story, Steve Berman delivers one of the best I’ve read in a long, long time in Vintage: A Ghost Story. In fact, it may just have rocketed up to the top of my all-time faves; it’s def ...more
Aussie54
Aug 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I didn’t feel any empathy or connection to the characters. I guess I’m not the target audience for this book. The writing style didn’t grab me either, as every now and then a word was used out of context, which threw me a bit.

The part of the story where the narrator went to the gay club with his friend Liz made me wonder how someone could hold a broken glow stick in his mouth while at the same time drinking something to wash down an E tablet. Actually, the idea of having a broken glow stick in
Sylvie
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spooky mystery!

Every town has an urban legend of two. One night n New Jersey, a teenage boy was hit by a car and killed on his way home from a party. Now his ghost haunts the stretch of highway he was walking when he died.

But some urban legends are true, as our protagonist discovers for himself one cold night. And so begins Vintage, a wonderfully spooky nystery about love, friendship, and one gay goth runaway dropout who seems to attract ghosts.

Will there be a sequel? The author has hinted that
  • Someone Is Killing the Gay Boys of Verona
  • Drama Queers!
  • Bleeding Hearts (Killian Kendall, #1)
  • Without Sin
  • Rise of Heroes (Masks #1)
  • A Strong and Sudden Thaw (A Strong and Sudden Thaw, #1)
  • A Secret Edge
  • Outtakes of A Walking Mistake
  • Swimming in the Monsoon Sea
  • One Boy's Shadow
  • My Side Of The Story
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Tale of Two Summers
  • Finding Our Way (Finding Our Way, #1)
  • Saints of Augustine
  • Queeroes
  • Seidman
  • Letters to Montgomery Clift
Some tidbits about me...

I turned down a scholarship to Miskatonic University because I heard of the high rate of incidents against the student population.

I briefly worked for Omni Consumer Products in their Marketing Department. Great benefits, nice cafeteria, sadly too prone to executive whim.

Last year I stayed at the noted Mauna Pele resort in Hawaii. The accommodations were impressive but my tr