Start by marking “Today Is Monday” as Want to Read:
Today Is Monday

Today Is Monday

String beans, spaghetti, ZOOOOP, roast beef, fresh fish, chicken and ice cream are the delicious fare during the week in this popular children's song. Until Sunday. Then, all the world's children are invited to come together and share in the meal. Celebrated artist Eric Carle brings new energy to these much-loved verses as lively animals parade across the page, munching on ...more
Published August 4th 1997 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Today Is Monday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Today Is Monday

Shayan
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
این کتاب باید به بچه ها کمک کنه تا روزای هفته رو یاد بگیرن اونم با شعر و به کمک اسم غذا ها ولی برای منم که اسم روزای هفته رو بلد بودم(! 😂) هم چرت و پرت بود
چون من هیچ ارتباطی بین Tuesday و spaghetti نمیبینم که بخوام با کمک این اون یکی رو حفظ کنم به هرحال حتی برای آموزش زبانم توصیه نمیشه 😑
Heather
I don't get this song. I think it's stupid. So does my husband. Whenever we hear it we look at each other like, "What the crap? How is this supposed to help us remember the days of the week?"

This book has illustrations to the dumb song. My kids liked it. Goes to show you how well I can trust their opinions. But that's also why I'm giving it 2 stars instead of 1. Their opinion does matter (even if I don't agree sometimes).

But I won't be checking it out again.
Shawn Deal
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cute little story that goes through the days of the week and comes with a song you can play if you can read music. Would work nice in a music class.
Hannah Melberg
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Today Is Monday was a very fun and silly book for young children. The author Eric Carle wants children to discover that reading can be fun and silly. This brightly illustrated book takes you through the days of the week and the food that each animal eats. Every page is a new animal like am elephant, snake and monkey. Each animal is eating something different from the rest. At the very end of the book the parrot says "all you hungry children come and eat up." And following that there’s a table f ...more
Will
Jan 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Pretty good Eric Carle title that we have at Yongsan SLP. Not as simple as "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" or as beautiful as "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" but still worthwhile. I'm embarrassed to say I don't understand why the elephant says, "ZOOOOOOOP." Is that just the sound he makes when he slurps soup through his trunk?
Judy
Eric Carle is fantastic. But I do much prefer his animal illustrations to his illustrations of people, especially groups of people. Perhaps the style and medium simply lends itself more readily to an iconic single shape than complex scenes with people in them.

I love the cat with the roast beef.

Great cover.
gina
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
One of the first (and maybe only) picture books my son wants to read on a daily basis (all day if I'd let him.) He likes that there are cats throughout, though he sometimes things the fox is a cat. Oh well, he's only 14 months so we have time to work on that. I highly recommend it! He LOVES it. I look forward to exploring more of Eric Carle's wonderful world with him.
Jessica
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-baby-books
My husband and 2 year old daughter really like this book, but I find it frustrating to read to her. It flows in an odd way and what the heck is zoop? Lol. Of course like all Eric Carle books, the pictures are beautiful!
Virginia
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, read-2013
My kids loved this book. Especially all the big, colorful animals eating different things. I don't think they really cared for the story per se, but they loved the pictures. LOVED.
Darlene
What can I say? It's Eric Carle!

I picked this up at the library because I wanted art inspiration. I have always thought Mr. Carle's work visually exciting. From the Hungry Caterpillar and Angry Ladybug, I was in awe of the way Eric could make his own prints and cut them into amazing pictures. The other side of that is his books are so much fun to read aloud to kids.

Having had a few accidents where crepe paper got wet and left an interesting stain behind. (Cleaning said stain wasn't fun but I l
Mama Bibliosoph
Today is Monday is fabulous for a child who needs practice sequencing the days of the week. The unmistakable illustrations of Eric Carle are delightful. The text is a very simple cumulative poem (think "The Twelve Days of Christmas"), meaning that each new stanza adds a line to build on what came before. You end up chaining the days of the week backwards because of this poetic structure, which I imagine could be confusing for some kids, but it hasn't been for mine.

The book introduces a series of
Angelissa
Ok so today is really Tuesday but I was drawn into the book cover when I saw it and decided to give it a go. Apparently, there has been a whole generation of kids raised knowing this book and the accompanying song for it. I however was born a decade too early and had never heard of this book before.

Today is Monday is a basic picture book that is supposed to help children with the days of the week while also introducing some foods.

Ok, so I can see where kids might get confused by remembering the
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We borrowed this from the local library and it was a total flop in both my and my four-year-old's opinion. My toddler likes cats (although we are a dog household) and loves books (incl. "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", "Brown Bear, Brown Bear", and "The Grouchy Ladybug"), but this one did not resonate. She did not want to read it again. I was relieved as I didn't have much interest in reading it again either. The illustrations are classic Eric Carle though, which is why I bumped up the stars to tw ...more
Christina
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know...I’m not a huge Eric Carle fan. But this book is so wonderful. I think it’s the song you sing as you turn the page that has captured my fancy. My son eagerly awaits the funny word for soup in the middle of the book. He is a riot of laughter. I probably need a hardback copy of this instead of paperback. Make sure your child’s music teacher gets a copy as well. Great teacher Christmas gift.
Selina
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This colorful, oversized song book invites preschoolers to recognize and remember animals, favorite foods, and the days of the week all at once. Each page describes a different animal that is eating their favorite food. At the end of the book, a diverse group of children gather around a big table to eat all the different foods mentioned. I love that this book addresses so many different areas of learning, while incorporating multicultural characters.
Nicola
Jul 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 3 wasn't too keen. She prefers Hungry Caterpillar or Brown Bear.

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Maliha Arman
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ga-pre-k-books
I wish this book had more to it. Its very minimal as far as vocabulary but the illustrations could make up for it. Children could possibly link foods with specific days of the week which will help them remember the song. It is very catchy as far as the different types of foods that are mentioned. I do like how in the end the children come together to eat shows union and family style eating.
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the first Eric Carle book that I haven't really liked. The illustrations are vintage Carle, but the words are just dumb. (In his defense, it's an old children's song, but still...) Not my cuppa.
Tammy Knowles
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book Today is Monday, by Eric Carle is a book that teaches the days of the week by different
animals. The days of the week are done in repetition. It also displays great illustrations. This book is a great way for students to learn about the days of the week, animals and foods.
Matt Miles
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
No paper with Eric Carle's artwork on it is truly wasted; the imagination and generosity of which more than makes up for any inexplicable aspects concerning the lyrics. I'll take my days of the week with a side of whimsy, thanks.
Nancy
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
ZOOOOP!

It is never not a good time to sing about food.
And Eric Carle even when trying to please (a little too much) is pleasing.
Aiden and Jack
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1st-grade-e-j
GRL: E
DRA: 8
Hannah Groeschen
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the repetition in this book and as always, I loved Eric Carle's illustrations.
Melissa Namba
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnamba
Great use of repetition. The illustrations are great as one would expect. Nice for toddlers.
Daniel Woolf
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, teaches days of week, Wednesday is zoop, not spaghetti
Natalie Wilson
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poetry, 1st + up.
Poem that repeats and adds on each page. Very catchy!
Rachel Hancock
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Today Is Monday is another great book by Eric Carle. It is illustrated wonderfully and is scaffolded throughout the book so it is a good read for beginning readers.
Gayla Hyde
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book. A great way to teach the kids about the days of the week.
Rachael
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-literature
Gorgeous illustrations!
Melissa Lagerquist
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kind of strange and a bit boring. Illustrations on point, as always.
Katie Witchley #2 (Tuesday) 1 1 Apr 24, 2013 05:25PM
  • Down by the Bay
  • Duck & Goose, 1, 2, 3
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • Barnyard Banter
  • White Rabbit's Colors
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • The Greedy Python
  • Ten Tiny Babies
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • The Boy Who Wouldn't Share
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Rap A Tap Tap
  • Potato Joe
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • Who Hops?
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme
  • The Animal Boogie
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more