Start by marking “Eric Carle's ABC” as Want to Read:
Eric Carle's ABC

Eric Carle's ABC

A. B. C. D. Unfold the full-page flaps to reveal an ant, bear, camel, and duck! Eric Carle’s illustrated alphabet and animals make learning your ABCs as easy as . . . well, A, B, C!
Board book, 16 pages
Published May 31st 2007 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1999)

Start your review of Eric Carle's ABC
James Westerfield
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alphabet
- This book did not receive any awards.

- Pre-K-Kindergarten

-Eric Carle's ABC is a children's book that teaches them about the alphabet, and also use the representation of animals which shows the first letter of their name. The font in this book is much larger as this book is made for younger children, which will make learning the alphabet more clear and easy for them to understand.

-This book is very clever and enjoyable for read, and I believe this is a great read for children who are starting t
Hope McCabe
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. Awards: None
2. Preschool-Kindergarten
3. Eric Carle’s ABC is a simple book about the alphabet. Animals are shown on each page in accordance with the letter they start with. The font size is large and is easy for children to read.
4. This book is both simple and enjoyable. The children gain an understanding through bright, unique pictures. The book would be especially excellent for a child with a keen interest in animals.
5. In the classroom, the children could have fun with activities having t
Jordan Stewart
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alphabet-books
This book would be great for Pre-schoolers and early kindergarten.
There are no awards for this book.

This book has nice simple pictures. Each page represents a letter and an Animal to go with the Letter.
There are page that can be lifted up.

This book is great for younger children. Because the Illustrations are simple it helps younger kids with reading the book. The simple pictures also are great for children to focus on the point.

I would use this in the classroom as a great read aloud story fo
Natalie Guido
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet-books
Awards the book has received: This book has not received any rewards
Appropriate grade level(s): Preschool and Kindergarten
Original summary: This book features flip out pages that have the letters of the alphabet. Each page has a letter of the alphabet and an animal whose name begins with the corresponding letter of that page.
Original review: The thicker pages of this book make it easier for younger children with less developed fine motor skills to turn the pages. The flip out pages help to eng
Alexis Lattin
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
1. No awards
2. 2-5 years old (PreK-K)
3. An unfolding alphabet book including an animal for each letter. It is a simple book to learn the ABC’s.
4. I liked that the book is interactive with the unfolding of pages. This book makes the alphabet relatable by relating it to animals that the children will know and like. It’s very simple and for young learners.
5. This book can be used for young learners to learn the ABC’s in relating them to animals and teaching letter-recognition. The students could c
Amy Sherwood
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awards: None
Grade Levels: Pre-K/K
Original Summary: An ABC book with large pages and flip pages that alternate to help keep young readers interest.
Original Review: An ABC book by Eric Carle so it contains bright, colorful pictures to capture young readers attention. Each page has a letter of the alphabet and an animal (that starts with the letter of the alphabet) on the same page to help with the word association. Young readers make connections between words they use, or between things they see
Briana Bencivenga
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1. Awards: n/a
2. Appropriate grade level(s): Preschool-Kindergarten
3. Original Summary: Eric Carle’s ABC is an alphabet flip book. On each page there is a letter and a picture of an animal thats first letter corresponds with the letter on the page.
4. Original Review: This book is simple, engaging, and efficient. I enjoy that the large printed letter is a capital letter, but in the space where the name of the animal is written, the letter is lowercase.
5. Uses in the classroom: Within the classro
Jillian Ciferri
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ABC (Eric)
1). Awards the book has received: none
2). Appropriate grade levels: preschool-2nd grade
3). Original 3-line summary: ABC by Eric Carle is about the alphabet. Each page contains a letter and an animal that starts with that letter. Various pictures include, an ant, a camel, a bear, and a duck.
4). Original 3-line review: This book is a great tool for teaching young children the alphabet. The illustrations are simple and very detailed. The animals are very enjoyable to look at.
5). 2-3 p
Danielle Ferro
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
No awards given
PreK- Kindergarten
This book is about learning your ABC’s. Each letter correlates to a specific animal.
I enjoyed this book, it was bright and colorful. It also taught a wide variety of animals that kids probably wouldn’t see in their everyday life.
I would use this in my classroom to teach the ABC’s and animals. It would be good for a rhyming activity and even alliteration.
Carlie Morrison
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it

Awards: None
Summary: Introducing the alphabet by using beautifully illustrated images of animals in the signature Eric Carle style!
Review: As always Eric Carle does not disappoint! Beautiful to look at and engaging this would provided great support in teaching students the ABC's!
Age: Pre-K to Kindergarten
Uses in class: Teaching Alphabet/ Discussions/ Leisure
Kelly
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A flip-up ABC book by Eric Carle...of course it's wonderful.
Rachel Wood
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet
This is a great book to help children learn the alphabet. Eric Carle is a great author and this book is just one of many that he has written.
Kristina Alduino
literacy
phonological awareness
phonemic awareness
Sydney Rachlin
1. This book has not won any awards.

2. Appropriate grade levels: Pre-K and Kindergarten

3. This is an alphabet book by the famous Eric Carle. The letters are shown in both capital and lower case form; the font size is large. Each page is simple with the capital letter enlarged and a word that starts with said letter. There is only one illustration per page.

4. This is a great first book experience for any child. The pages are simple and illustrations are clear and detailed. I recommend using this
Daniella Delgado
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. N/A
2. Pre-K -K
3. This book is an abc book about animals. The pictures were bright and were very well illustrated. The pages were fun to flip and the book was enjoyable.
4. I liked this book a lot because it was very eye-catching. The animals were exotic and drawn vividly. I would recommend this book for any child who loves animals.
5. Abc's, patterns, animals.
Annabel Rodriguez
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(6 yo)

"It's about ABCs. It has animals that start with the letter. My favorite part is "A for Ants' because my name starts with 'A.'"
Gabriella Pugliese
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1. This book has not received any awards.

2. Recommended for grades preschool and kindergarten.

3. This ABC book written by Eric Carle is a great tool for teaching young children their ABC's. Each page goes through each individual letter followed by an illustration of something that begins with that letter, allowing children reading to make a connection between the letter and the beginning sound of that word. The letters are big and colorful, making them easy to see.

4. Learning the ABC's should
Barbara
The ABC book by Eric Carle is a great book for young children. The book is a classic alphabet book that goes through the alphabet, easy enough with just the letter and illustration on each page. This book is a great teaching tool for children to help them understand the alphabet by corresponding pictures. I would recommend this book for younger children like kindergarden or younger. Beginning to teach children how to read and helping them understand the the shapes of the letters and helping them ...more
Justin Myerson
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No Awards
This book goes through the alphabet with big bold letters for each page. On each page there are letters that are alphabetical and has an animal for each letter. This book does a good job associating letters and highlighting each letter in the animal's name.
This is one of the easier alphabet books and it is great for teaching children how to read. This book has pages flipping up so it makes it enjoyable for children because of its interactive style. If children are struggling with their
Sara
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: abc-books
Eric Carle's ABC book is a classic alphabet book. It features an animal that corresponds to a letter (A - Ants, B- Bird, and so on). The illustrations are bright and engaging, and I believe would be enticing to any children learning about animals and the alphabet (which they will likely be learning concurrently).

The book is versatile because it contains common animals, such as ants, and more obscure animals such as a narwhal. This might prompt further discussion and exploration of these animals
Cherry
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a quite interesting book, seeing that it flaps and has nice pictures that go with the letters. I think young children would enjoy this as they learn their alphabets and see a picture that starts with that alphabet. It will help them connect animals and the letters, that would be easy to remember. Simple words used for younger children, perhaps get to know how the letter looks like or shape of it. I guess to see if the child is learning you could play a game with them, cover th ...more
Kendrick Goodman
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: abc-book
What could you not love about Eric Carle? I remember being younger and gravitating towards the Eric Carle books. His pictures draws children in and always leaves them wanting to read more Eric Carle books. This is a perfect ABC book because of the colors and pictures that children will love. As well, each letter of the alphabet is dedicated to a specific animal. These animals are drawn on the page to show the children what kind of animal it is. For a toddler or 3/4 year old who is just learning ...more
Monica
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
In this alphabet book, Eric Carle has a letter on each page with flaps that reveal a picture of the animal and its name written that corresponds with the letter. For the letter A there is a picture of ants and the word written out, and so it goes for each letter, showing children that letters and words serve a purpose.

In Eric Carle's beautifully illustrated ABC book, he compliments each letter with brightly colored pictures. The pictures are simple, but creative and highly artistic. I really li
Andrea Ference
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
To begin with, Eric Carle is a fabulous well known children's author that also wrote the famous Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see. This counting book is very lively and fun to read because of the drastic colors that are illustrated for each of the 26 letters of the alphabet. The book is only 16 pages but it has flaps that reveal pictures of Carle's beloved animals. This book is meant for children ages 4-8 but i believe that the earlier you start reading abc and counting books the better yo ...more
Megan Jones
“Eric Carle’s ABC” takes primary books jstep further by formatting it in an interesting flap book. The illustrations are outstanding. He introduces some strange animals to represent some of the letters. tI would have chosen a different animal for the letter ‘G.’ He uses the animal ‘gull’ which to me, should be seagull. A better choice that doesn’t have other name variations would have been ‘goose’ or ‘giraffe.’ But I got to see a ‘quetzel,’ a ‘narwhal’ and a ‘xolo,’ so that was fun. I recommend ...more
Bee
Jun 23, 2011 added it
This book is great for a child getting to know their alphabet and being able to relate different things to the letters. I did like that the picture that represented the letter was not always the "norm". For alphabet songs or books, usually the text is pretty predictive but this book had things like "Q is for Quetzal." That is something that I've never heard of and I was glad that Eric Carle found more animals to teach the children about.
Jessalyn Collins
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
ABC is a great book for children to read in their early childhood stages. At this stage in life, they are learning to recognize the alphabet and even learn the sounds that each letter makes. This book also incorporates different animals to keep children interested. The pictures were nicely drawn, and even though I wasn’t sure what a “narwal” was, it is a fun word that can provoke child discussions.
Taylor Munson
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite children's books. Eric Carle does a fantastic job introducing the alphabet to children in this book. He is known for his amazing illustrations and once again he did a great job. I also love how there are flaps for the alphabet that children can lift up. The creativity and simplicity of this book really stands out and makes it a one of a kind children's ABC book. I believe children would really enjoy this book and learn a lot from it.
Kelly
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I love Eric Carle and the ABC book itself, but in my opinion the flip-page format is not ideal. The children most likely to be using this text are young enough that careful care of unconventional pages is a huge challenge. I've used this text at both home and in my preschool classroom, and while I love the ABC, to keep the pages from being ripped out, the book required a lot more supervision that I would prefer.
Haley Heinkel
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a great book for children to read when they are in the first stage of learning the alphabet. The is about the ABC's and it also helps you learn about different animals. This was a very strange book. the pictures were nicely thought out but I did not know what a narwal was. The animals were strange but still interesting for children.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Hello, World! Birds
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • Anatomy for Babies
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • I Am a Bunny
  • Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse
  • Little Blue Truck's Springtime
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • On the Night You Were Born
  • Animals
  • A Delicate Balance
  • Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
  • The Pout-Pout Fish
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more

News & Interviews