Start by marking “Fantastic Tales of Ray Bradbury” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Tales of Ray Bradbury

Fantastic Tales of Ray Bradbury

Read by the author

Contents: Introduction (00:45) -- The lake (13:49) -- The smile (11:53) -- The foghorn (19:18) -- The veldt (28:00) -- The crowd (20:51) -- John Huff's leavetaking (from Dandelion wine) (19:43) -- Illuminations (16:30) -- The illustrated man (28:31) -- Marionettes, Inc. (15:50) -- The pedestrian (10:35) -- The dwarf (27:20) -- There will come soft rains (
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published March 1st 1986 by Listening Library (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Tales of Ray Bradbury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Tales of Ray Bradbury

Tom
Jun 14, 2007 rated it liked it
I like listening to a good audiobook on the ride to work. Some really good stories in here, even if they do often cover well-traveled sci-fi ground (ie-- the one story he introduces by explaining, "I wrote this story because every sci-fi writer worth his salt needs to write a dinosaur story.") Oh, and he introduces every story with a little background info and a description of the creative process. Often, it goes something like this-- "I saw this thing that was strange, very strange, and I alway ...more
Brandon O'Neill
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this set of Ray Bradbury reading 14 of his own short stories. Not only did he read them, but he talked about how the ideas came about. Many were excellent - The Lake about a boy returning to his childhood hometown and a girl who had drowned years earlier, The Smile - a futuristic tale when ugliness is the norm and anything beautiful is destroyrd and The Crowd about that crowd that just magically seems to appear, gawking after an accident takes place. Did they just happen to be a ...more
Bill
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I listened to the audio version, and the commentary by Ray Bradbury between stories was an excellent enhancement.
Astha Prakash
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
How come I'd never ready any Bradbury before? Love the stories. Some way more than the others.
Sher
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of Ray Bradbury stories. They are all just a little bit off the wall, which is why so many people are fascinated by them, myself included. At the beginning of each story, Bradbury tells how he came to write that particular story. These insights made the stories all the more interesting. I was glad to learn that his writing goes through a process and doesn't just jump from his brain fully formed. I also learned that he wrote 1000 pages a day from the time he was about 1 ...more
Michele
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2011
I'm not sure if this is the one I read, but it was three short stories including, "The Veldt," the "Spring Witch."
I love this guy, love his work.
I remember being very young and they would broadcast these over a radio program. It began with a creaking door and we would sit outside on top of a car with the radio going and listen. We all loved them as kids.
He is just an amazing writer and man.
Lynda
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I do not generally have the patience to read any book more than once. I have read through this collection of short stories three times now, and have enjoyed them more each time. I look forward to reading them again, and sharing them with my daughter someday.
One of the few other books I have read multiple times is Ray Bradbury's 'Martian Chronicles'. I guess that makes him my favorite author. :)
Joe Osborne
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I generally like to steer away from author readings of their own works but a number of authors do it well, Harlan Ellison, Neil Gaiman come to mind, so I was apprehensive bout this. Fortunately Ray Bradbury did an excellent job of reading a very good selection of some of his best and most memorable short stories. Highly recommended.
Bettie
mp3

How about that story The Illustrated Man - wow! Apparently there is a film made of this story that I will have a scout round for. Anyone here seen the film?

John-paul
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read by the author, Ray Bradbury. Gives creative insights into how he wrote some of his most famous and interesting short stories. A real treat.
Adam James
I recently discovered "The Veldt" and I'm super nerdily excited to share it with my students.
"The Other Shoe" and "The April Witch"...not so much.
Caitlin
Mar 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000-s
Ray Bradbury writes some really awful short stories, there are killer babies... It's a rough one
SheriC (PM)
My thoughts about this book are on Booklikes at: http://sheric.booklikes.com/post/7634...-.
Alex
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Shelley of science fiction, the master of imagination at his best. If you aren't delighted with and enthralled by these stories, you're legally dead.
Megan
Melissa
Jan 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The John Varley Reader
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (The Voice from the Edge #1)
  • The Upper Berth
  • Vengeance of Orion (Orion, #2)
  • Demons
  • Isän nimeen
  • Stephen Hawking's Life Works: The Cambridge Lectures
  • Dreadful Skin
  • De Uanstændige
  • Kadavermarch
  • Zappa
  • Berserkers: The Beginning (Berserkers, #1 & #5)
  • Don Camillo Meets the Flower Children
  • Den Danske Borgerkrig 2018-24
  • Untouched By Human Hands
  • Hot Water
  • Submarino
  • The Daemon Prism (Collegia Magica, #3)
Ray Douglas Bradbury, American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at ...more