Start by marking “The Nostradamus Prophecy” as Want to Read:
The Nostradamus Prophecy

The Nostradamus Prophecy

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  321 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Melisande is the daughter of the king's minstrel and lives among the royal French court. She, like many others, pays little heed to the dire warnings of Notradamus the soothsayer. Chantelle, Melisande's older sister is betrothed to the handsome courtier Armand, and there is the excitement of the forthcoming wedding to think about. And Melisande is fascinated by the mysteri ...more
Published 2008 by Doubleday Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Nostradamus Prophecy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nostradamus Prophecy

Becca
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Though The Nostradamus Prophecy was brilliantly done, I cannot claim to have enjoyed it anywhere near as much as Prisoner of the Inquisition or The Medici Seal, both of which were also written by Theresa Breslin. It would be going too far to say that this novel was a disappointment, but it did leave we with a vague sense of disquiet and dissatisfaction.

Perhaps it was not wise to do so, but I approached The Nostradamus Prophecy as a sort of sequel to Devil's Queen, a novel which was, incidentally
Alex at Raiding Bookshelves
Theresa Breslin's 'The Nostradamus Prophecies' follows the turmoil of Melisande, Minstrel's daughter, after the death of her sister and the imprisonment of her sister. Thirteen year old Mesliande must escape the court of King Charles IX and his widowed Mother, he Regent Catherine de' Medici. In her terror, confusion and determination to see her sister avenged, Melisande knows only one man who can help her. Michel de Nostradamus. Unfortunately for Melisande, Nostradamus has seen more than just he ...more
Ruth Lauren
"HARK to the BEATING WINGS of the ANGEL OF DEATH!

When Nostradamus, wild-eyed and trembling, proclaims to the French Court his prophecy of a great massacre, the young King Charles only laughs. His mother, Catherine de Medici, pays more heed to the soothsayer's words - she believes he can truely see the future.

But Nostradamus's prophecies are not only for those who rule; he also has a message for Melisande, the minstrel's daughter. For he is certain that Fate links him and Melisande together. And
Belinda
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Maria V. Snyder and Kristen Britain or fans of historical fiction
I picked this book up for $7 (AU) when I needed something to read for a few hours. And I'm really glad I did.

I'm recommending it for fans of Maria V. Snyder and Kristen Britain, because although it is historical fiction, it has more of an adventure/fantasy feel.

Melisande is part of family of minstrels travelling with the 16th century French court. Life is good for the young girl, until her family falls prey to the machinations of a ruthless nobleman and Melisande's older sister and her sister'
Ellie
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, fiction
I loved this book I thought it was amazing. The Nostraudamus Prophecies is a fanastic read. The story centres Melisande, a young girl in 16th century Paris, who is caught up in a plot to murder all the protestants in the city. Her sister is killed, her father imprisoned, and she is forced to flee. When she meets the famous Nostraudamus, her life is changed.
The writer of the novel Theresa Breslin, has really captured the facts of Nostraudamus and 16th century Paris. The novel goes at a fast pac
Teresa
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good children's book reminiscent of The Red Necklace and The Silver Blade from Sally Gardner. I am fascinated by anything connected with Nostradamus and although not completely factually accurate, the books gives you a taste of France in the late 16th century, the various machinations of Catherine de Medicis, the religious struggle between Catholics and Huguenots, court conspiracies as well as the more personal story of Melisande, the heroine of the piece, who eventually learns her role in Nos ...more
Giulia
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was just fall-off-the-couch, slap-me-in-the-face amazingly epic and awesome. I'm sorry, I can't come up with better words. It's just so...

Well firstly, it's well-written and very engaging. Even in the dull parts, I devoured every word. Very vivid imagery, very intriguing, orignal (and swoon worthy) characters as well as a strong heroine and a story steeped in truth and fact. What more could you ask from a historical novel?

A downfall would be how long and wordy it is...it could put peop
Stargirl
This book was really good!

An historical-fiction novel involving Nostradamus, our young menestrel heroine who is destined (?) to save the King and traveling all around France with the religious struggles between Catholics and Protestants that teared Europe apart as background.

I admit I wasn't expecting to enjoy it that much. It's a read full of adventure and danger in 16th century's France that I think younger readers who love history will enjoy a lot - older readers too ;)
Jenni Carlton
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't my usual choice to read, but I found it by chance in a second-hand book store and I'm jolly glad I did. It was very entertaining and thought provoking. A well paced adventure.
Nanahachi
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Aunque el tema de Nostradamus me echaba un poco hacia atrás, el libro me ha gustado. Es ameno, está bien escrito y Melisandre es un buen personaje principal. No es una obra maestra, pero está bien para pasar unas horas entretenido.
Lisa
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, ya, paranormal
A very interesting fictional account of how Nostradamus prophesied the Massacre de la Saint-Barthélemy of 1572.

The story follows a young minstrel, Melisande, and her role in "saving the king who must be saved".

A very good read for tweens/YA.
Craig
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it. I am not sure how much of it is true, but I am now quite interested in the French Religious Wars. I also quite admire Melchior.
Sais Shishir
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read.
Nik
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An uncomplicated but enjoyable page-turner. I would say it's most suited to teen or casual readers.
Wendy
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heel tof boek over de voorspellingen van Nostradamus en de Bartholomeusnacht in Parijs.
Chin-Ning Chong
Quite interesting. The constant plot twists just glues you to the book for an indefinite amount of time.
Gabrielle
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love it.
Javier Sanchez Toledano
Jan 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Que asco de libro. Leerlo es un enorme desperdicio de tiempo. No vale nada.
Natalia Alagia
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved every bit of it! Great book, great characters, great story!
Alice Miller
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good, it was one of my favourite Christmas presents this year, i've re=read it several times already.
Lewis
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
bought on a feeling that I might like it absolutely loved it as a book.
Stacy
Amy
Feb 10, 2015
Gaby
Jan 04, 2017
  • Remember Me & The Return Part I  (Remember Me #1-2)
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • Fleshmarket
  • The Road of Bones
  • Eyes in the Mirror
  • The Goldsmith's Daughter
  • Tulku
  • Star Dancer (Star Dancer Quartet #1)
  • The Lady in the Tower
  • Dawn of the Demontide (Witchfinder, #1)
  • Hell Week (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #2)
  • The Betrayal (At the House of the Magician, #3)
  • The Cry of the Wolf
  • Chocolat, Volume 4
  • En busca del unicornio
  • Feathered
  • Arthur High King of Britain
  • VIII
Theresa Breslin was born and brought up in Kirkintilloch, a small town in central Scotland. She is the recipient of the Carnegie Medal, Britain's most prestigious children's book award, for Whispers in the Graveyard, and her books for young people receive critical acclaim and appear regularly on children's book award short lists in the United Kingdom. A longtime librarian, Breslin was awarded life ...more
More about Theresa Breslin...