Start by marking “Daughter of War (Knights Templar #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of War (Knights Templar #1)

Daughter of War

(Knights Templar #1)

An extraordinary story of the Knights Templar, seen from the bloody inside
Published April 9th 2018 by Canelo

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of War

Erin
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

S.J.A. Turney is one of the few authors I trust to turn out a great read every time. His grasp of military history is fantastic, but his ability to balance that detail with compelling character and complex themes is nothing short of brilliant.

Daughter of War features the Knight’s Templar but is centered squarely on Arnau of Vallbona, a young knight who has pledged to look after Titborga, daughter of his late Lord but it is h
Koeur
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Publishing Date: April 2018

Publisher: Canelo

ISBN:9781911420620

Genre: Historical Fiction

Rating: 3.8/5

Publisher’s Description: Europe is aflame. On the Iberian Peninsula the wars of the Reconquista rage across Aragon and Castile. Once again, the Moors are gaining the upper hand. Christendom is divided. Amidst the chaos comes a young knight: Arnau of Valbona. After his Lord is killed in an act of treachery, Arnau pledges to look after his daughter, whose life is now at risk. But in protecting her A
ijeoma Agbaje
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok

We have been scammed!!! 😒
2.5 Stars

I want to state that the MAJOR reason i purchased this book was because it alluded to the fact that there were female templars and in this book they were going to be at the fore-front of things. So while i was expecting this:

description

Instead, i got nuns and then to make matters worse they don't even fight.

"No, i have never wielded the blade before you ask, i may command here with a fist of iron, but i am a woman, and that fist has never held a sword"

Which begs the que
Janne Janssens
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, e-books
3.75*

"It is a sad fact that sometimes blind optimism overrides common sense." - Titborga

I never give another star rate than a whole or a half star. But 3.5* would be too low and 4* too high, so what else could I do?

I got the ARC of 'The Last Emir' on Netgalley, not knowing it was part two of the Knights Templar series. So I have read 'Daughter of War' in preparation for it, meaning I would have to read at least two books of this series, so it better be good.

And it was good. First of all I loved
Matthew Harffy
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having conquered ancient Rome, Simon Turney turns his hand to medieval Spain.

Daughter of War is set in 1198. It is a period of upheaval and violence, a time of bloody reconquest, as Christians battle Moors to reclaim the kingdoms of Iberia. In this tumultuous time there are several factions, each vying for power, land and wealth and not all followers of Christ are friends of the Knights Templar. Against this canvas of intrigue, greed and uneasy alliances, Turney brings us the gripping tale of Ar
Simon Binning
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new series from Simon Turney is always worth a second look. He is a prolific author of historical fiction, and has created some fine leading characters. So this new tale has quite a lot to live up to.
The opening book is set in Spain during the wars of the reconquest, and the moors have the initiative. They have stalled the Christian armies, which are weakened and divided. Arnau of Vallbona is a minor nobleman and knight. During a battle, he sees his Lord - Berenguer of Santa Coloma - killed, a
Gordon Doherty
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Templar fiction often conjures up images of Outremer and of great Crusader sieges at the walls of the ancient holy cities. But in 'Daughter of War', Simon Turney cleverly confounds expectation, and instead whisks the reader onto the hot dusty plains and rugged sierras of Reconquista Spain. Here, the Templars are entangled in a delicate and dangerous balance of faith and politics. They are considered as heroes by the pious common folk, as elite military levies by the kings, and as sources of late ...more
James Ruppel
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting

I enjoyed the fast moving plot. I did not think the obscene language was necessary! I learned a lot about the Templars.
Helen Hollick
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
"...one of the strengths of the novel [is] the ability to make a small community of Templars interesting... The detail is quite astonishing... the trappings of knighthood a joy to discover... there are a few drawbacks, the cover art being the greatest. It is misleading at best. The title may be 'Daughter of War' but the cover image was of a character who never appears in the book. A case of a traditional publishing
Paul Bennett
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blurb

An extraordinary story of the Knights Templar, seen from the bloody inside
Amidst the chaos comes a young knight: Arnau of Valbona. After his Lord is killed in an act of treachery, Arnau pledges to look after his daughter, whose life is now at risk. But in protecting her Arnau will face terrible challenges, and enter a
Heather
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was not what I thought the book would be about. I thought judging by the title and the cover it was going to be about a female Templar. It was not about a female Templar it was about a Templar knight that claimed sanctuary with his lord’s orphaned daughter who turned into a Templar nun.

Arnau of Valbona is besieged with the fact that his beloved lord was killed in battle by an act of treachery so he feels it is his duty to protect the unwed orphan daughter from the lord that is requiring he
Caroline
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting and enjoyable read.
Arnau of Vallbona is an inexperienced swordsman, but can display good moves on the battlefield when using his trusty mace. After his liege lord dies in battle, Arnau swears fealty to the dead lord's fifteen year old daughter, Titborga, now the inheritor to her father's property.
Titborga is forced into a betrothal to a man she detests, Ferrer della Cadeneta. Titborga, along with her maid and Arnau of Vallbona, flee to a nearby Templar monastery, where they ask to
Rosie Amber
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daughter Of War (Knights Templar #1) is historical fiction set in 1198. It revolves around the mysterious Templar Knights. The book opens with a battle in the Aragon area between Spanish Lords and a raiding group of Moors. Arnau de Vallbona is among the Spaniards, fighting alongside his Lord. But Arnau is unsure of his future when Lord Berenguer de Santa Coloma is killed . Berenguer’s heir is his fifteen year old daughter; however, straight after her father’s funeral, the king’s representative o ...more
Lorac625
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

The Reconquista is a period I’ve never studied in detail(being buried in Rome, England and Egypt) but I have read some about it and this book brought it home in a realistic manner. Templars are mostly known as Crusaders, but there was a lot more to them. Their downfall was kind of the beginning of the end for the primacy of the Pope in civil affairs. In every time there are lots of humans more ready to do evil than good, especially in return for lots of money. Lots of kings were that way;
Trevene Highfield
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Titborga becomes the sole heiress to her fathers vast estate and wealth following his death on the battlefield, she is horrified to learn that she has been promised into marriage to Ferrer Della Cadeneta, a voilent and brutal man that stops at nothing to get what he wants. Arnua De Vallbona swears his allegience to protect her and they manage to escape to the Preceptory of the Templars for protection. Della Cadeneta unleashes war on the Preceptory and all the inhabitants in order to take ba ...more
Terry
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A tale of Iberian Templers

A stirring tale of Arnua De Valbonna and the lady Titborga left by her beloved father an heiress which means she is targeted for marriage to another Spanish lord much against her will. The Lord was responsible for her father's death though she is unaware of this for most of the tale.
They seek refugee in a small Templer company after escaping capture. Which then puts them and the Templers at odds with her prospective husband.
It is well worth the read to find out the whol
Stephen
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mr Turney is one of my favourite authors, ive read all of his books, and it was his books that got me so hooked on historical fiction. so when i seen this on netgalley i just had to request it, and it was definitely worth it! what a brilliant, and believable story. i thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and i loved the fact that its a different knights templar tale than others out there. i were a little sceptical at first and didnt think the female aspect would fit in with the knights templar but it ...more
Paul Allard
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical fiction – à la Walter Scott
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This historical novel takes place during the Reconquista in Spain and deals with a struggle between an heiress, Titborga, and a prospective suitor who drives her into the welcoming arms of the Knights Templar. A good deal of bloodshed and death follows as our main character, Arnau defends Titborga's honour with the Templars.
Fascinating historically, this novel is well-written and
Tracey
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in 1198, Medieval Spain, a time of Crusades an Templar Knights. Daughter of War starts with an epic battle where a young man at arms sees his master killed, or murdered?
The story is the future for Arnau de Vallbona , and of his masters 15 year old daughter and heir, Titborgia, when she refuses to marry and hand over her lands to a cruel and ambitious man.

Well written, historically accurate and believable, and the rare Templar nuns. I was drawn in and totally hooked in pages. I look forward
Paul Roberts
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rivetting read

Apart from the children's novels I am pretty much up to date with SJs books, of which I am a big fan. At the very beginning I did think it was going to be one of those tales that I could easily put down; how wrong can a body be! After the first couple of pages Mr Turney proved true to his style!
Historical fiction based in Iberia is like a whole new genre for me, I've never been there before, although I have read a wee bit about the Templars, and I look forward to following this s
Christine
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the author's style of writing and look forward to reading more of his work. His attention to detail and his ability to make the unbelievable believable was fascinating. The story kept me engaged through out. His historical notes were clear and concise with not a lot of fluff added.
Robin Quine
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating view of life and conflict at the end of the twelfth century, against the backdrop of the Templar’s and the challenges that they faced in Spain. A wide array of characters with ideals and beliefs contrasting and clashing. Very fast moving narrative in places and graphic detail of combat at the time!
Patricia Moren
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A story of a different side of the Templars based on real people. A gripping story which highlights the role some women managed to play in a male dominated world. Great storyline and appealing characters that were easy to identify with. Once I started I couldn't put it down.
Neil Dawes
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story

I liked this a lot, it seemed quite realistic and did not treat the knights templar in a fantastic manner. Mr Turner writes a good storyline backed by a detailed knowledge of his subject matter.
M L Evans
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unusual story line

An interesting approach and story line differing from the usual temp!at novels. A well developed narrative with good character development. Overall s really good read and much appreciated historical note at the end explains the basis of the story well.
Thomas
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Purpose honored and defended

A glimpse into a religious society brought into a struggle with unscrupulous political figures guided by amoral avarice and ambition. An exciting read that has plausibility.
PTPrice
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Revealing insight into template life

The rating is based on the fascinating history contained within the story.
Great story telling with a sense of historic fact. Strong characters and good use of their personali.
Kristin Wall
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exciting and full of history I didn't know about the Templars. An all around good tale.
Steve Minnick
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written and insightful. I hope there will be more books in this series. I am really looking forward to #2.
mixal
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3,4 st

• Shields of Pride
  • Gisborne: Book of Pawns (The Gisborne Saga, #1)
  • The Morning Gift
  • Blind Impulse
  • Conquering the Dark Axe (The Northern Knights, #2)
  • Plead Forgiveness (Loyalty, #1)
  • Nectar from a Stone
  • Crown in Candlelight
  • Highland Moonlight
  • The Adventures of Alianore Audley
  • Norse Jewel (Norse, #1)
  • The Passionate Brood
  • Black Thorne's Rose
  • The Wind from Hastings
  • The Wolf Hunt
  • Dangerous Favor (Poitevin Hearts, #3)
  • Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain, #2)
  • The Book of the Maidservant
Simon lives with his wife and children and a menagerie of animals in rural North Yorkshire, where he sits in an office, wired on coffee and digestive biscuits, and attempts to spin engrossing tales out of strands of imagination while his children drive toys across his desk and two dogs howl as they try to share a brain cell.

A born and bred Yorkshireman with a love of country, history and architect

Knights Templar (3 books)
  • The Last Emir (Knights Templar #2)
  • City of God (Knights Templar #3)