Start by marking “Little Firefly: An Algonquian Legend (Native American Legends)” as Want to Read:
Little Firefly: An Algonquian Legend (Native American Legends)

Little Firefly: An Algonquian Legend (Native American Legends)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Reminiscent of the Cinderella story, this is the enchanting tale of a shy maiden who wins the heart of a great warrior despite her cruel and mocking older sisters.

The Legends of the World opens readers' minds to the diverse cultures of Native America, Asia, Africa, the Caribbean, Eastern Europe, and the Americas through enchanting tales passed down through countless gener

Published February 1st 2004 by Scholastic (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Little Firefly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Firefly

Roseanna Ayala
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful tool for teaching about natural resources and understanding oral histories as primary sources.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a wonderful series of books that tells a Native American traditional story and follows it with information about those people including history and how they lived traditionally.

This Algonquian story is very similar to cinderella but the end has her going to him and the test taking place immediately. She never returns to her evil sisters who burned her. (Yes, there's even a fire.) I like it much better.
Kristine Hansen
In a sort of Cinderella story, we see Little Burnt One, who resolves it would be better to be servant to The Invisible One than to take her sisters' abuse another day. I felt there was a little less about the Algonquins in the facts at the end, but was fascinated by the details. I loved picturing this story as I read it.
Kest Schwartzman
highly europeanized, but charming enough.
Lorie
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With similarities to Cinderella, Little Firefly becomes the wife of the great hunter who is invisible to all but his wife. Little Firefly is treated badly by her sisters who make her do all of the work for the family. They call her names and tell her that she will never amount to anything. Little Firefly eventually goes off to find "The Invisible One" after her mother's spirit tells her that she will find happiness there. This Algonquain legend could be used with students for studying character ...more
Cheryl
I definitely enjoyed the legend, a great combination of a familiar story with a definite difference. I also enjoyed reading the information about the Algonquian in the back.

I preferred the more sophisticated rendition The Rough-Face Girl.
Lori
Sep 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A Cinderella type story. The tale is told similarly in "The Rough-Face Girl" who's illustrations I prefer, but this has a few details in the story which are not told in that one and a nice added history of the Algonquian people at the end.
Cassidy Mayhew
I loved this book as a kid:)
Andréa
Mar 08, 2010
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Algonquin Cinderella legend with history and pictures about the culture
Sharon