Start by marking “Another Bloody Love Letter” as Want to Read:
Another Bloody Love Letter

Another Bloody Love Letter

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Critically acclaimed writer and award-winning foreign correspondent, Anthony Loyd is also an ex-heroin addict. "Another Bloody Love Letter" exposes the thrilling and brutal reality of life as a war journalist - from the climax of war in Kosovo and the reignited battles between Ethiopia and Eritrea, to tracking ambush commanders in Sierre Leone, confronting the danger and c ...more
Published March 8th 2007 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Another Bloody Love Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Bloody Love Letter

Ernest
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a confronting book about an ex-heroin addict foreign correspondent, mainly in wars. This author is not afraid to tell of his life, including the parts that are not pleasant and expose the personal depths he has gone to. However, there is no preaching; I never got the sense that the author was trying to force a message. While this is not a book that everyone will get through, I found it utterly compelling.
Lucie
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
the praises will be endless, Anthony's writing is unparalleled. I'm with him every moment of every war, every moment that is raw and honest, every moment that he didn't die and lived to tell, the ghosts that chased him, I almost hope that he ventures out again and makes another conflict hits own as much the conflict making him his slave. that marriage is imperfect but a grand read.
Viking Litespear
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you like war lit. you should read this book. Loyd's a fantastic writer.
Simon Kearney
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Anthony Loyd's work in the past but it never registered until he was shot in Syria a couple of months ago. His intro began something like: "Two hours before he shot me....". Great way to begin a story although you do have to get shot for it to work. Even if that part was unplanned. When I saw on a friend's Facebook post that he had a couple of books, including this one that also deals with his heroin addiction, I thought this is going to be worth a read. It didn't disappoint. His per ...more
Thebookmistress
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tpl
Brilliant. One of those books that you finish and then are tempted to start over again. Even if the book was just war stories, it would be great. From Kosovo to Kabul, Loyd shares the excitement, as well as the boredom, fear, and pain, of his experiences. It helps that Loyd is an excellent writer. I've always understood the attraction of war; Loyd's writing is the first time I understood the attraction of heroin.

But there is so much more to the book than just war stories. Loyd can sketch out th
Dylan Weaver
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War correspondent Anthony Loyd's second book is set across a much larger territory than his first. He relates experiences in Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan and Iraq. In some ways this offers a less tight structure than in his first novel which was chiefly about Bosnia and Chechnya. In others it allows a greater look at his life across similar but different nations. No matter where it's set, however, his writing is just as memorable and as moving as always. Loyd is a man who feels deeply and w ...more
Alex
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another engaging, grim book of war reportage from Anthony Loyd. Loyd writes with intimacy about atrocities that occur in war zones throughout the world, wondering both why they occur, and why he is so attracted to such tragedy and destruction. This tension makes for gripping and harrowing reading. War, suggests Loyd, is both an external and an internal reality. For some it is waged with bombs and bullets and for others with drugs and addiction. In both cases, it can tear us apart.
Bjørn André Haugland
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
An engaging and highly interesting read, probably only given four instead of give stars because I can't help comparing it to Loyd's amazing previous book. Takes you on a dizzying and personal tour of all the wars western civilization has been involved with during the last thirteen years. Loved it.
Jby
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting war reporter stories from the hell holes of this planet. The bits about the authors heroin addiction get boring fast, though they might be good as anti drug propaganda for kids. ...more
Dmitri
Dec 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
I'd have to say that I liked his first book better but this one was still pretty good. I wouldn't say that it really gets going until the second half when the writer goes to Afghanistan.
Harendra Alwis
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Despite a few awkwardly placed punctuation marks here and there, this is an utterly fantastic read... beautifully.., amazingly written... one of those books i feel like i want to memorise...
Katy
May 03, 2012
Dave
Jan 28, 2014
Altin Raxhimi
rated it did not like it
Nov 30, 2016
  • The Balkan Express: Fragments from the Other Side of War
  • Chienne de Guerre: A Woman Reporter Behind the Lines of the War in Chechnya
  • A Small Corner of Hell: Dispatches from Chechnya
  • War Junkie
  • The Road to Fatima Gate: The Beirut Spring, the Rise of Hezbollah, and the Iranian War Against Israel
  • The Spanish Holocaust: Inquisition and Extermination in Twentieth-Century Spain
  • Unreasonable Behaviour: An Autobiography
  • Winter Soldier: Iraq and Afghanistan: Eyewitness Accounts of the Occupation
  • The Boy King: Edward VI and the Protestant Reformation
  • The Gate
  • Intimate Politics: How I Grew Up Red, Fought for Free Speech, and Became a Feminist Rebel
  • Empress Matilda: Queen Consort, Queen Mother and Lady of the English
  • One Day the Soldiers Came: Voices of Children in War
  • March: Book Three (March, #3)
  • Madness Visible: A Memoir of War

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99