Start by marking “One Evil Summer (Fear Street, #25)” as Want to Read:
One Evil Summer (Fear Street, #25)

One Evil Summer

(Fear Street #25)

Summer at the beach and Amanda Conklin's stuck in summer school. Well, at least she doesn't have to take care of her little brother and sister. That's Chrissy's job.

Chrissy seems like the perfect babysitter — so kind and trustworthy. But Amanda soon discovers Chrissy's terrible secret. Babysitting is Chrissy's job — but killing is what she does best!
Published July 1st 1994 by Simon Pulse (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about One Evil Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Evil Summer

Steph [They/Them] (Wickedjr Reads)
3.5

Couldn't put it down after a bit. Intense times.(view spoiler)
Latasha
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a re-read. I did not remember anything from reading this book back in my preteen years. Chrissy is the “mother’s helper” for the Conklin family. But Amanda and her cat, Mr. Jinx and her birds, Salt and Pepper, don’t like or trust her. 3 animals can’t be wrong Conklin family! I liked this one a bit more than the usual Fear Street book. There was more suspense and the ending was intense for YA.
Melanie
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
One of his better books, more 'mystery' than usual and *gasp* an animal death! Normally it's only the teenagers who die. Anyway, I wasn't sold on the supernatural explanation, but I might have been when I was 12.
Drucilla
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fear-street
I really liked this entry. The characters reacted realistically to what was going on. You know how in horror movies you're always yelling at the characters to do the smart thing? Well, in this book, they do. I actually liked the characters this time around as well. The plot, though, was a little schizophrenic. (view spoiler) ...more
Amya
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, since Amanda is in summer school the family hires Chrissy to help out. But Chrissy isn't who she says she is.
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Amanda and her family are off on vacation to Seahaven, leaving behind their home on Fear Street for the summer. But the Fear Street curse follows you around no matter where you go. And unfortunately for Amanda, not everything will be sun and games for her because, first, she has to go to summer school! Second, apparently Amanda is so irresponsible that he parents have decided to hire a nanny for her younger siblings. Enter Chrissy. Charming, helpful, evil, fun Chri
Anna
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
If only this family remembered to call the BSC before heading off to not-Sea City.
Michelle Stagg
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really love those books. I loved them as a teen, and I still love them now. They're for any age. I wish I could own them all.
kylajaclyn
Aug 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
I mean, what the hell was this book?!

Moral of the Story: Calico cats can survive the wickedly evil.

Body Count: 1 for sure, 2 probably

The Usual Suspect(s): Chrissy... it's not even debatable.

Tagline: Chrissy is perfect... perfectly evil!

Plot: Well. Can I just say that more animals die in this novel? I'm so done with it. Can that stop?! Anyway, this one is so over-the-top I didn't enjoy it. Also, as usual, it was far too compressed to really get a grip on things. So Amanda Conklin, her brother, K
Leigha
I know this is Fear Street, but the bad guy is way OP and unrealistic even for R.L Stine's writing. I mean... come on!
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. It was a little more gorey and violent than I expected near the end, but I appreciated how Chrissy's story made sense and how we as readers are led to root for the main character similarly to how we root for most main characters in the horror genre. I recommend this to other scaredy cats like myself who want a little taste of horror without being too overwhelmed by it.
Bailey Peyton
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Chelsea Gouin
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fear-street
This was surprisingly good. Amanda has failed algebra, so while her family goes on this lovely beach vacation, she's in summer school. The family hires a nanny, Chrissy, to watch the kids while Amanda is in class...except Chrissy is evil. Only Amanda sees Chrissy's vile actions, the newspaper clippings she hides in her bedroom, the way the cat and the birds hiss and go silent in her presence, the way she floats off the ground...Amanda does some serious snooping to try and convince everyone she d ...more
Peyton
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, young-adult
“One Evil Summer” follows Amanda’s misfortunes with the new babysitter, Chrissy. Unfortunately, Amanda is the only one who can see Chrissy’s evil. Amanda has to protect herself and her family from Chrissy, while also attending summer school.
I found Amanda’s character to be easily likeable. Although she has to focus on school, it is clear that she cares about her family and wants to keep her siblings safe. Amanda’s actions at the end of the book spoke quite loudly about what kind of person she i
Shawn Durham
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book.
ElphaReads
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fear-street
This is just a rip off of Lois Dunca's SUMMER OF FEAR in a lot of ways. I loved how bananas it was at times, but overall I couldn't shake hte fact that it just felt lifted from a YA behemoth.
Amber
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the fear street books when I was younger I hope a whole new generation falls in love with them now ... :)
Sylvie
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, teen-creeps
rating on a sliding scale lol. But this was fun for what it is
Trina Collins
Really good book and I enjoyed the twist
Angie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! I enjoy all the Fear Street books by R.L Stine.
Stars Are Weird
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just as good as I remembered it, and just as cheesey as every other 90s thriller!
Amy H
I love these books!! Still happy that I won so many at the auction...

This story is about a girl named Amanda. Her summer was supposed to be fun watching her brother and sister at the beach house with no worries. Then she had to go and fail algebra. Now she was stuck in summer school, at a new school because they parents wanted a getaway, but still work.

Amanda's mother now has to hire a mother's helper..a.k.a a babysitter. A pretty girl randomly shows up at the house answering the ad. Amanda does
Sarai
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
The Conklin's family has a Beach house were they will spend there summer. with Amanda going to summer school and her parent working, Chrissy will be taking care of her siblings.Even though she looks honest and kind, looks can deceive. Amanda seems very distrustful about what Chrissy hides. She tries to find what Chrissy is trying to hide by going to look in the room were she sleeps and soon realizes that she is not the person they thought she was.
A wonderful,thrilling and adventures book by R.L
Paul Kim
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-l-stine
Pretty surrealistic book which isn't bad because the surrealistic supernatural events make the book interesting and suspenseful.

I do like the main character, Amanda, who seems levelheaded but still shallow as she doesn't seem to have other traits enough to describe her.

My only gripe is that the explanation supernatural events just seem flimsy because of these supernatural events are rather too bizarre to make me accept them for the story.

I did enjoyed the book and I recommend for those into Fear
Michal Beth
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
Chrissy is the perfect babysitter. Or that's what Amanda's mother thinks. Amanda starts seeing weird thing happen around Chrissy. First its her cat. Then its a car. Then, Amanda sees Chrissy floating! Amanda tries to tell her mom but she wont believe her. This book put a twist on babysitters. Its as if it showed the dark side of all babysitters. I absolutely loved this book. I recommend this book.
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is one of my least favorite fear street books. To be honest, I am not a fan of the novels with a supernatural ending. I feel that it is a bit of a cop out and an easy way to explain away everything. The book could have followed a similar format (without giving away too much) without needing a supernatural theme at all. Two stars.
Melissa Namba
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: r-l-stine
This one was actually a breathe of fresh air compared to the other Fear Street books. It was not as trite and superficial. It was written more as a good segue for readers who might grown into Stephen King, John Saul, or Dean R. Koontz. There is a little supernatural in it, but it was a nice, interesting, mindless read.
Mandy
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I actually read this years ago when I was a pre-teen. I saw it on the shelf of someone I worked for and picked it up and read it an hour or two the other day. Fun read, though not high literature i actually enjoy these books and think they are a good read for young people.
Chase Bearden
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fear-street
I extremely liked this book it was very exciting i felt a lot like the way I felt when I read the fear street book switched but judging from how many ratings this book has I don't know why there isn't more ratings cause this book is awesome
Michelle
This month for book club we chose a bunch of books that we are loved as kids and this is one that I picked. It was very very very very very very very humorous not meaning to be humorous I'm sure. it's funny that I just devoured these types of books when I was between 10 and 12 years old.

• Bury Me Deep
  • The Yearbook
  • Mary Anne vs. Logan (The Baby-Sitters Club, #41)
  • Party Line
  • Someone at the Door

R. L. Stine b

Fear Street (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9)
  • Ski Weekend (Fear Street, #10)