Start by marking “Edinburgh Dusk (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #2)” as Want to Read:
Edinburgh Dusk (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #2)

Edinburgh Dusk

(Ian Hamilton Mysteries #2)

The prize-winning author of Edinburgh Twilight returns to the darkening shadows of nineteenth-century Scotland to track a killer on a profane mission of revenge.

Published September 18th 2018 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Edinburgh Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edinburgh Dusk

Start your review of Edinburgh Dusk (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #2)
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it

Detective Inspector Ian Hamilton is back and this time he's investigating the suspicious death of a railroad lineman that female physician Sophia Jex-Blake believes to be caused by arsenic poisoning.

It doesn't take long for Hamilton and his partner Sergeant Dickerson to determine that the married victim was known to have had several affairs.  They visit the Royal Infirmary to gain insight on poisoning from the well-known medical student Arthur Conan Doyle.

When another poisoning victim i
Literary Soirée
“Edinburgh Dusk: Ian Hamilton Mysteries, Book 2” by Carole Lawrence brings us back to the author’s atmospheric setting of nineteenth-century Scotland, in an addictive read that teams physician Sophia Jex-Blake with Detective Inspector Ian Hamilton to investigate the suspicious death of one of her patients, a railroad lineman. Significantly, the man had many sexual transgressions although he was married.

As they seek answers to his untimely death, which the good doctor believes is due to arsenic
Luca
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

Ever since I've read Edinburgh Twilight, I've been waiting for the next book of the Ian Hamilton Mysteries. That book was everything I love when I need a lift-me-up book: a smart detective, in a historical setting, plus the added bonus of it being in my dreamland, Scotland. Obviously it made me intrigued and reading that first book didn't disappoint.

The second part of the series, Edinburgh Dusk, was really enjoyable and gave me all the warm and fuzzies with how it was written, the hum
Bettie
Thomas & Mercer

Description: A wicked Scottish winter has just begun when pioneering female physician Sophia Jex-Blake calls on Detective Inspector Ian Hamilton to investigate the suspicious death of one of her patients—a railroad lineman who she believes succumbed to the horrific effects of arsenic poisoning. The most provocative aspect of the case doesn’t escape Hamilton: the married victim’s numerous sexual transgressions.

Now, for the first time since the unexplained fire that killed his paren
Stephen Bentley
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A new author for me and I was delighted with this book. It is #2 in a series but I had no issues with it as a standalone novel.
The author, Carole Lawrence, is American but through research and consultation with a Scottish expert, she captures the very essence of Edinburgh and its inhabitants at the time of the setting which is late 19th Century.
It is a wonderful whodunnit detective story with the denouement a fitting and apt end to the tale; I say no more on that to avoid a spoiler.
The character
Monique
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was another well-crafted story in the life of Detective Ian Hamilton. As the tale of a serial-killing poisoner unfolded (paralleled with Shakespeare's 'Hamlet' via an officer's theatrical group), more of the detective's personality and inner thoughts were revealed. While I'm no psychologist, the handsome and aloof Ian came across as being slightly on the Asperger's spectrum.
I got confused with the revelation of the killer, as I didn't recall much of the character in the story when they int
Susanna
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-booked
So, so good. Though I feel if I'd actually read the physical copy (I listened audio book) I would have guessed the murderer 😅
M
Oct 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Distastefully Graphic Descriptions of Pedophilia

In the past six months or so, I’ve returned Kindle Unlimited books and asked for Kindle refunds after reading several chapters of mystery-suspense books with primary plots featuring graphic descriptions of sex-trafficking, sexual abuse of women, and pedophilia.

A few Goodreads reviewers have mentioned this book’s prologue, but that prologue is restrained when compared to other, more detailed descriptions of a seven-year-old girl being sexually abuse
Joyce
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

It’s 1880 in Edinburgh, Scotland and winter season is just beginning.

Doctor Sophia Jex-Blake comes to the police station and reports to DCI Bobby Crawford and DI Ian Hamilton that she has located a murder victim. He was killed by arsenic poisoning. She had been treating his wife for a pregnancy. The victim’s name was Thomas Carruthers. He was known to have affairs, although it is uncertain if his wife knew.

DI Ian Carmichael Hamilton and his partner Sergeant William Dickerson set out to t
Jan
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second in series of detective novels set in Victorian Edinburgh, Scotland. Ian Hamilton is a likable main character, and the entertaining supporting cast includes people from vastly different levels of society, including some real-life personalities in this case.

The descriptions of the city in 1880 are very good and the atmosphere is fun. I did question a few things that didn't seem authentic to the time period, but I tried not to let those throw me off. There are also times when th
Alana White
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Edinburgh, 1880. In this, the second Ian Hamilton mystery, Detective Inspector Hamilton investigates the death of a married railroad lineman from the effects of arsenic poisoning and then the death of a prominent banker in a prostitute’s bed from strychnine poisoning. The link in the two cases appears to be sexual transgressions on the part of both men.

Several characters from the first book, Edinburgh Twilight, walk through these pages, including Hamilton’s brother, Donald (an alcoholic presentl
Mai
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC via NetGalley, thank you! All opinions are my own.

Edinburgh Dusk is a historical mystery that takes place in 1880. Ian Hamilton is confronted with a horrific poison murder. I haven't read the first novel in the Ian Hamilton Mysteries series, but I was able to follow the story anyway - still, now I want to read the first one, too. The plot is gripping, the characters so vivid, that they seem to have a life on their own, even if I close the book - and the cameo of a certain medic
Jen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Edinburgh Dusk is also a second in a series by Carole Lawrence. After a perfectly ugh prologue, the book improved. It is better than the first book in the series, although I didn't review the first book here.

I love Edinburgh so I couldn't help giving the series another try. While I did like this one better (aside from the yucky prologue), I still couldn't quite get a feel for Ian Hamilton.

The Hamlet trope was way overdone.

Favorite character: Conan Doyle is a secondary character that will probab
Lynn Horton
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Ms. Lawrence is a good storyteller, but I found this book to be sensationalist. Her characterizations are strong, and she writes an evocative setting. In other words, her work is powerful and professional enough that she could have told this story without somewhat graphic child-molestation scenes (in the form of memories). Also, although I have no problem with a homosexual character, the character’s orientation didn’t in any way enhance the story line or affect the story, so it appears to be an ...more
Susan
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
In Edinburgh Dr. Sophia Jex-Blake wants Detective Inspector Ian Hamilton to investigate the death of the husband of one of her patients. During the case he meets Dr Bell and Conan Doyle whos knowledge of medical matters helps his case. But then another victim is discovered.
The characters are well-drawn and fleshed out. I found this well-written story enjoyable and interesting and look forward to the next in the series.
This second in the series is easily read as a standalone story
A NetGalley Book
Connie
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
The second book in the Ian Hamilton series.
Dr Sophia Jex-Blake is convinced that one of her patients has been murdered and asks DI Hamilton to investigate, and it's not long before another body is found in similar circumstances.
This is a dark psychological thriller set in a cold wintery Victorian Edinburgh. At times the author's Americanisms come through which I found a bit off putting, and the Scottish slang still needs work -as I said before, you notice these things when you're a Scot.
Overall
Kathy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had not recalled why I did not make notes on the first in this series. I think I had hopes for historical detective fiction placed in Edinburgh. I believe I found Ian Hamilton a promising character to follow. This book really failed on several levels.
So...a poisoner is in their midst. People die. Shakespeare is performed. Fitting end for Hamlet occurs.

The end for me.
Kindle Unlimited - can't recommend
Emmie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, who-dunnit
With every new book in this series I become more and more enchanted. This is an old fashioned detective or police procedural and I love every page. A detective spouting Shakespeare and an aunt acting as police photographer just makes this all the more appealing. I love the characters and the atmosphere in this book.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed when I was able to identify the killer before the end of the book. But it was still a very good read.
Karen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5. This second book in the Ian Hamilton Mysteries is similar to the first. Well written. My problem with the series is the sexual deviance that is displayed in graphic detail. To be honest, one of the redeeming factors in this novel is that Arthur Conan Doyle is a character.
Ankita J
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amanda
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very satisfactory ending. I am really enjoying this cast of characters and hope the author writes more books for the series in the future 4⭐
Kristal
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Another great read. Love the characters and will continue with the series.
mary crawford
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Spoiled by Americanisms

I enjoyed the story in this book but it was spoiled by American words like "side walk" and "icebox". I doubt that domestic "iceboxes" we're used, or even needed in wintery Edinburgh in 1880. Especially as the house was lit by gas light !
Also the way the Scottish dialect was written, it came across as more Cockney than East of Scotland !
Maybe being Scottish I noticed these things more but it spoiled my enjoyment of the book to quite a degree.
Trish R.
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it

This was a decent second story BUT I just hate when an author has to have the father molesting a 7 year old and then she becomes a killer. The men actually deserved it but that’s beside the point. If I’d known it was going to be on incestuous molestation I doubt I would have read it. If the mystery writers aren’t writing about killing kids they’re writing about molesting them. I’ve reached my limit with those.

I did like Ian Hamilton and his partner Sergeant Dickerson, as well as Ian’s brother Do
Elliot A
I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Detective Inspector Hamilton is back. I was very excited to have been approved to read an ARC of this and promptly decided to put my schoolwork on hold until I had finished reading it, which only took about two days. Once you start this story, you won’t stop until the last page.
DI Hamilton is just as introverted and unsociable as ever. Always quick with a cheeky remark and ready to solve another case. I was
Kathleen
I enjoyed this book and the evocative setting but there were a couple of things that made me decide to lower my rating by a star. First, and most annoying, was the new woman/love interest. Using the trope of irritating, officious behavior and dialogue as a prelude to romance was so offputting that I plan to carefully read the reviews of the next book in this series (if there is one) before I buy it. I also thought the constant quoting of Shakespeare to be unnecessary. Memorization skills do not ...more
Joyceanne
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Simply put, it did not live up to the last book.
Toni
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Edinburgh Dusk is the second novel in the Ian Hamilton series and while it's an enjoyable story, it does have its weak spots.

Let’s deal with the plot first: A famous female doctor asks Ian to investigate a death, claiming the victim was poisoned, and the hunt is on for a woman of whom nothing is known except that she may possibly a nurse and has red hair. The victims in this case are unfaithful men. During his investigation, Ian meets a medical student named Conan Doyle and his mentor Dr. Bell.
Ruby Bibi
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great writing and very well done historical mystery

-Another very well done mystery involving Detective Inspector Ian Hamilton, a late 19th century detective in London. The author has masterfully combined the personal life of Hamilton with a case of murder that is introduced to the detective which seems to be a cut and dry case of suicide.
-While Hamilton’s superior, DCI Crawford, is revealing to Hamilton that Crawford’s wife is suffering from an illness which is leaving no hope for recovery, a fe
Linda
I loved this book. Detective Inspector Ian Hamilton is the kind of protagonist readers love. He is complex, but loves his family. He finds it hard to trust because of the loss of his parents and the mystery around their death that his aunt and brother seem to know but don’t want him to know. He is the youngest brother. Anyway, he has the cloak of his deceased uncle and wears it very well. These books would make a good TV series but the author will have to write faster. Her historical description ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Murder in Park Lane (Detective Lavender Mysteries #5)
  • The Willow Marsh Murder (The Detective Lavender Mysteries #6)
  • The Sculthorpe Murder (Detective Lavender Mysteries #3)
  • Plague Pits & River Bones (Detective Lavender Mysteries #4)
  • The Sans Pareil Mystery (Detective Lavender Mysteries #2)
  • The Heiress of Linn Hagh (Detective Lavender Mysteries, #1)
  • The Slum Reaper (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery, #4)
  • The Opium Purge (Lady Fan Mystery #3)
  • The Gaslight Stalker (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery #1)
  • Honour & Obey
  • Murder in the Crypt (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #1)
  • The Night Caller (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery #2)
  • The Prodigal Sister (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery, #3)
  • A Woman Scorned (The Inspector Lazarus Mysteries #3)
  • The Murder at Redmire Hall (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Food For The Gallows (The Underwood Mysteries, #2)
  • Diamonds & Dust: A Victorian Murder Mystery
  • A Noble Pair of Brothers (The Underwood Mysteries, #1)

Ian Hamilton Mysteries (3 books)
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
  • Edinburgh Midnight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #3)