Start by marking “A Little Piece of Sky” as Want to Read:
A Little Piece of Sky

A Little Piece of Sky

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A poignant, powerful debut that combines the deep emotion of The House on Mango Street with uniquely creative storytelling.

Unfolding in a series of tiny vignettes, A Little Piece of Sky introduces an endearing new novelist and a truly unforgettable main character. In the first few chapters we meet a little girl named Song Byrd, who keenly reports on the world around her. S
Published October 8th 2002 by Broadway Books (first published June 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Little Piece of Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Piece of Sky

Eva Leger
Oct 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: a rat who needs the shreds to make a nest
Ick. Just ick. Usually when I met or read about a racist I get angry. With this one I just felt saddened. I felt pity. It's all so obvious and Bailey-Williams doesn't think it is.
If this woman were my high school teacher I would have demanded to be in a different class. I'd love to know which school she works at. This woman should not be teaching our children. She shouldn't be allowed to train a dog IMO.
Let's keep it simple. I understand the book. Frankly, I wish I didn't. But, I do. And I've
Kathy Juveli Hauck
Mar 20, 2007 rated it liked it
fastest darned book I've ever read! To the point and poetic.
Kendra Danielle
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Maziel
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was about a girl named Song. She had a terrible childhood, until she had to move to her dad and stepmoms house, because of her mother’s murder death. Ever since she moved to her dads house her life has become successful and worth it. I really enjoyed this book, because it showed me how abandoned song felt and was without her dad throughout her childhood and her mother,brothers and sisters way of showing song non-loveble effection. I would recommend this book to anyone who reads this r ...more
Karen
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
About survival and healing, this book is told by a young African American girl named Song Byrd. The chapter's titles reflect her thoughts, which gives the reader an even closer look into her life. The story is about Song's evolution; surrounded by tragedy and darkness, she grew up to eventually create her own light. Simply told, yet powerful. Thumbs up on this one.
Liz Gibbs
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hauntingly beautiful - Each tiny chapter is almost like a diary entry revealing a young woman's troubled past and her blessed future. It is amazing how the author pulls you slowly into the story and weaves the pieces together. There is hurt, anger, confusion, and despair, but above all HOPE.
Mendel
Jul 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
girl moving from troubled childhood to adulthood, told in a series of poetic vingettes
Tina
Jan 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers
its a sad book. but truly inspiring. shows how life can be for certain people.
Rhea
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and moving. The author was my 9th grade English teacher and she is a very lovely person.
Meranda
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Eloquently written in short simple prose. Very quick read (I read it in a couple of hours).
Kier
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I gave this one 4/5 stars. It may seem that I give that rating to most books, but I view different books differently. I wasn't reading this one to compare it to Alice Munro's works or the Bronte sisters. I got this one for free from a library after their annual book sale. As I'm working on my Ed.M in English education, I have a strong interest in middle grade and young adult books. This one was very lyrical and dealt with some rough issues. It follows Song throughout her life, but there's not to ...more
Gabie (OwlEyesReviews)
I am sorry to say that I did no enjoy this book. I read it because I'm doing a part of it for my drama class. I really just couldn't get into the way that Son though. Sorry ;/
Click Here For Full Review
Mattie
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book. Would actually give it 3.5 stars if possible. Wished it would have gone into more depth, just seemed too short to me. Song Byrd's hope and resilience is truly touching and inspirational.
Elissa
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
As sad as it was for this girl who lived a crappy life in the ghetto to lose her mother, thank goodness her wealthy daddy and his wife could take her in and raise her so she could have a better life, even if she spent the rest of her life wondering about herself.
Heidi
May 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, read2008
I wanted to like it, I really did. It lacked something, like maybe more than one or two musical notes, and it was predictable.
Roma
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
A quick, easy read.
Vicki
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
A quick, somewhat powerful and very poetic read about Song Byrd's rise from a life of suffering. I liked it a lot, but it was almost too quick and I wanted something more.
Leone
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quick read but a very nice one. Lots of lovely little moments to sit and ponder. I recommended it to a lot of friends in hard times and they really enjoyed it too.
Tamara Thorpe
This book to me through the motions. I was breathless in some chapters, a great book. It makes you feel like you are apart of the book! ..I am so happy I chose this book! I was pleased
Myra