Start by marking “The Poetry of Emily Dickinson” as Want to Read:
The Poetry of Emily Dickinson

The Poetry of Emily Dickinson

Sensitive and extraordinary, thoughtful yet emotional, Emily Dickinson's unique poems are a treasure not to be missed. Defying the conventions of the time, they were truly innovative. Featuring meditations on everyday life, love, nature, and society, the genius of her creativity is hard to ignore.

Short, yet keenly observed, her poems pack a powerful punch. This carefully c
Published 2018 by Arcturus Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Poetry of Emily Dickinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poetry of Emily Dickinson

Start your review of The Poetry of Emily Dickinson
julia
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
2.5 Stars.

I hear such great things about Emily Dickinson, but I haven’t been able to relate to her poems as many people seem to. I find her frequent use of the themes of God and nature a little tiring and repetitive; I was also always waiting for the feelings that I thought (or hoped) her poetry would evoke in me. The collection wasn’t a bad read, just nothing ground-breaking and earth-shattering either.
Hannah
Jan 18, 2021 rated it liked it
I haven't really read any poetry before this, but I like how she uses the hyphens to help with the pacing. Maybe that's a normal thing with poetry, but I thought it helpful. I loved this one!

"Long years apart - can make no breach a second cannot heal - The absence of the witch does not invalidate the spell -

The embers of a thousand years
Uncovered by the hand
That fondled them when they were fire
Will stir and understand -
Kier Scrivener
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Emily Dickinson can write poetry wonderfully - though I could do without her thing for hyphens. I did not find it as easy to connect to her work overall but the ones that focused on death and loneliness I found very potent. She also had some really beautiful individual lines which I found I liked much better to most of her complete poems.
MARINELA FLOREA
FROM THE CHRYSALIS.
My cocoon tightens, colors tease,
I’m feeling for the air;
A dim capacity for wings
Degrades the dress I wear.
A power of butterfly must be
The aptitude to fly,
Meadows of majesty concedes
And easy sweeps of sky.
So I must baffle at the hint
And cipher at the sign,
And make much blunder,
if at last I take the clew divine.

A DAY.
I’ll tell you how the sun rose,
— A ribbon at a time.
The steeples swam in amethyst,
The news like squirrels ran.
The hills untied their bonnets,
The b
Linda Stuckey
Feb 19, 2021 rated it liked it
REREADING THE POEMS TO UNDERSTAND THEM MORE. I READ IT FAST THE FIRST TIME. I AM LIKING THE POEMS BETTER ON THE SECOND READING.
Bridget
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
I don't read poetry too often. It's something I enjoy once in a while, though. I remember learning about Emily Dickinson in high school, and I was surprised to find I recognized some of the poems in this collection! I guess I was paying attention more than I thought...

Dickinson was certainly talented. And she had some interesting things to say too (some poems more than others). I marked the pages with my favorites so I can return to them later. I will say it was interesting reading the introduct
Claire McNerney
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
For your several Balms--
Words like water, Vitamins
Now Lodged within my Heart.

And though your Book has finished,
The Words will never leave--
And though you are so long gone,
You still Live and Love and Grieve.

I wrote a poem in her style because I have been trying to emulate it lately, just for fun. I did really enjoy several of her poems, although I did get a bit bogged down by some of them. I much prefer her rhyming poems to her non-rhyming poems and her short poems t
Katie Beth Byerley Boggan
Emily Dickinson’s poetry is some of my very favorite, but I wasn’t crazy about the setup of this book by the publishers. There was also a misuse of “it’s” and I think that’s enough said. Also, where was “I heard a fly buzz when I died”?? My favorite Dickinson poem and it was left out of the collection. Sad day.
laine
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, classics
The poems themselves were the same classic poems Dickinson wrote. My issues are mainly with the layout of the book itself. The cover is soft and beautiful. But the pages are spreadsheets of stock photos that don't match the poems. ...more
Jenny
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
While I am not, generally, an enthusiastic devotee of Dickinson, it was really lovely to take a couple weeks to read through this collection of her poetry. She wrestles with death, with faith, with grief, and so many other things common to the human experience.
Josefine
Jul 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Actual rating: 1.5 stars

Too many - dashes - for my - taste

I liked some of them. But they can be counted on my ten fingers. Most of them were too abstract and too, idk, too grand. And the freaking dashes oh my god. Guess Dickinson’s just not for me.
Sheri-lee
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is something unfinished about these ... unpolished? There are some that I enjoy but they really just feel like someone's tinkering with thoughts but not with real direction or care. ?? I don't know, most of her poem leave me feeling unsatisfied. Meh. That's about it. ...more
Margie Dickinson
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyed getting more familiar with Emily Dickinson, especially the sly, winking way she gets across a message.
Trevor Wilkes
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The way she makes words sound and flow and feel make for great isolated reading.
Madi
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emily Dickinson was a revolutionary poet. She wasn't straight forward and wasn't conventional. This book will stay on my shelf and continue to help me emotionally through hard times. ...more
rachel
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
didn’t really like lol, soz emmy dizzle. the use of hyphens made me want to rip my hair out looolllllll
Martina Gonzalez
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Primer poemario q me leo en inglés jhajahsjshsjs
AlvarinSanchezV

• SHOUT
  • I Am Her Tribe
  • The Book of Lost Names
  • Red Kayak
  • Stranger Planet (Strange Planet, #2)
  • The Pull of the Stars
  • Hello Again (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #2)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • Florence Adler Swims Forever