Start by marking “How Saeter Robbed the Underworld” as Want to Read:
How Saeter Robbed the Underworld

How Saeter Robbed the Underworld

The day before his coming-of-age ceremony, Eirik has a fight with his best friend—who had pointed out that, adopted by a pair of traveling warriors as Eirik was, how can he know who his ancestors are to celebrate them? Embarrassed and angry, he's not in the mood for the story his fathers insist on telling him.

Despite himself, however, Eirik becomes engrossed in the tale of
Published April 25th 2018 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about How Saeter Robbed the Underworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Saeter Robbed the Underworld

Start your review of How Saeter Robbed the Underworld
Elena

Written almost like a fairy tale, this lovely, imaginative short story had vivid characters, Saeter in particular, that left me wanting more, in a good way. My first book by this author and it won’t be the last.
Alex
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Short version: I loved this SO MUCH. It was not only full of feels, but also beautifully crafted with subtle hints and twists and symbolism.

To quote the author, it has:
* A fantasy-mythological setting loosely based on Norse mythology
* Cute demigods with feelings firmly in It's Complicated territory
* A shape-shifting trickster
* A daring rescue
* Found family feels
(The above list is from Meredith's Goodreads page. Below is my own
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

This was so cute! The format is a 'story within a story' where a kid is upset because he had a fight with one of his friends so his dads tell him a story about a pair of demi-gods to help him realize what he needs to do. I'll admit that at first I was kind of like 'do we really NEED the part about the family telling the story' because it didn't take up very much of the page space, but at the end it all really ties together and I was very happy wi
Kayla
I'm participating in the buzzword readathon this week. The words for the readathon are Who, What, Where, When Why, and How. Due to that, I recently decided to pick up How Saeter Robbed the Underworld, which had been on my TBR for a long time. I thought it was a really cute short story.

How Saeter Robbed the Underworld has one of my favorite tropes in it. I like it when books tell a story within a story. It was interesting to meet the different characters, and see how everything connected in the
Katie
This just ended up feeling rather slight. It's a LOT of story for the page count.

Owned ebook 1/2 for the month
Overall owned book 1/5 for the month
Alison
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, sff, my-e-things, lgbtq
Likeable. I enjoyed this, but I didn't have particularly strong feelings about it. I read it about a month ago and the details have faded already.
Henna
How Saeter Robbed the Underworld is a short story, which is a fantasy based loosely on Norse mythology with demigods and shape-shifting and a daring rescue. It's told in a story within story way; Eirik is in a bad mood night before his coming-of-age ceremony, so his fathers tell a story to Eirik and his two adopted siblings a tale of two demigods, the sons of the god of Love and son of the god of Envy.

I loved the story of two travelling warriors, who had adopted Eirik and two other orphans, and
Pam
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mythological tale at the center of this is great, and I would recommend it for anyone who likes the myths + m/m combo. I was fascinated with these stories as a kid, and this one captured that feeling perfectly, including the relevant lesson to impart.

I enjoyed it, and the writing is fantastic. Saeter's emotional headspace was so vivid and truly gut-wrenching in the moment. I felt for him deeply and wanted to make it all better for him. I look forward to trying more from this author for sure.
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prose
Really evocative, very queer story. I really liked it. Beautiful imagery, compelling characters.
Pei
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Norse-inspired fairy tale about the love between the son of the god of Love and the son of the god of Envy. Very sweet and enjoyable!
blub
This was cute well paced story. As the blurbs alludes this book has a story within a story and through this Eirik gets the answer of how to handle an argument he had with his friend and a very sublte hint about his ancestry which was a very nice surprise at the end of the book.

I loved getting to know Saeter and Skault, their history, and the misunderstanding which lead to their harrowing life or death adventure. Saeter's pain resonated well off the pages . I really felt bad for him and could ea
Ali
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. I liked the wat Saeter and Skault's story was told by the fathers. I felt for those characters along with Eirik.

There was a little twist of information at the end which just makes me wonder some things but didn't take away from my enjoyment.

I received a copy of this book and am providing an honest review.
Kate
Aveline Reynard
Oct 02, 2019
Courtney
description

I enjoyed this book so, so much. I love stories within stories and found family set-ups, and How Saeter Robbed the Underworld combined these two in the best of ways, resulting in a beautifully crafted, heartfelt and moving story. The scenes of Eirik’s family interspaced between the story told by the fathers are full of warmth and sincerity; the safe and comforting atmosphere is present throughout even despite Eirik’s predicament with his friend and the effect it has had on him. There is a clear
M'rella
Lore Graham
May 16, 2018
Lysimache
Jun 01, 2018

• The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
  • Unhallowed (Rath and Rune, #1)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Beauty and His Beast
  • Anhaga
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Bitter Pill (PsyCop, #11)
  • Secret at Skull House (Secrets and Scrabble #2)
  • The Fire Never Goes Out: A Memoir in Pictures
  • From the Dark We Came
Author of LGBT+ romance and speculative fiction! Likes humans, monsters, and the hazy places between the two.
* Personal Website