Start by marking “The Dragon of Ynys” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of Ynys

The Dragon of Ynys

Every time something goes missing from the village, Sir Violet makes his way to the dragon's cave and negotiates the item's return. It's annoying, but at least the dragon is polite.

But when the dragon steals a person, that's a step too far. As Sir Violet ventures out to get the missing baker back, however, he quickly realizes things are not at all what they seem...
Published May 16th 2018 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon of Ynys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon of Ynys

Jane
The Dragon of Ynys was readable and pleasant enough. I did find a few parts were a little too preachy for me -- I prefer morals to be a little more subtle. The inclusion of such direct messages did leave me somewhat confused about the target audience. For the most part, this read like a typical middle grade book; in fact, some parts reminded me very much of the children's book The Two Headed Dragon.

But now and then the material was a bit on the adult side. Not because anything was inappropriate
Claudie Arseneault
This is a fun, light read with several queer characters and an aroace MC. And a dragon! I loved the way it included several classic fantasy tropes--the dragon, giant spiders, small villages, knights, etc.

I will say, the aroness and aceness is really... I want to say underplayed? It's heavily implied, but that is mostly done through microaggressions at first, and I'm glad Violet actually talks about being happy about being alone, because it *really* needed that to balance the other things out. I
Marco (Barely a blogger)
I received an ARC from Minerva in response for an honest review.

The dragon of Ynys is a short story of only 95 pages that captures its reader's attention in a pleasant way. It felt like reuniting with an old friend over a nice cup of tea to me. I read it in one sitting. Couldn't put it down.

The characters seem very true to themselves and that is probably what made this story work. The interactions are an integral part of the plot, at least in my eyes it is, and they are just so gosh darn preci
Laure Nepenthes
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for a fair review.

As other reviewers have noted, The Dragon of Ynys is a new sort of fairytale, which one might consider giving to children. It's an enchanting little book, with an aroace protagonist (although the labels aren't on the page due to, I think, the fantasy setting, the protagonist is very clear in his identity) and a charming cast overall. The themes are simple but heartfelt; it's a story about acceptance, assumptions and the tran
Ceillie Simkiss
Read my full review of this delightful novella here!
Xan West
Note: I do not recommend this book to trans and/or non-binary readers.

Content Warnings (view spoiler)
Tessa
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC of this book to read and review from Minerva, and I really enjoyed it.

I don't usually pick up books that are kind of fairytale-esque like this one, but that didn't hinder my enjoyment at all. The Dragon of Ynys is a relatively short story with lovely and diverse characters (an aro-ace main character!), plenty funny moments, and to me it has an important underlying message. Most important of all though is just that it's a nice and fun read which made me happy.
Ava Kelly
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-books

Fairytales. I adore fairytales. When I was a little kid I used to devour collection upon collection of fantasy tales—a lot of them were folk inspired, actually (have you ever read European folk tales?). I used to wonder, how would people come up with such ideas, how would these events endure through the centuries, heart to heart and soul to soul? It's enlightening, really, to consider the context of their creation.

When winter falls and the days get shorter, the village gathers around a fire. War

Djoeke Gerding
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Snap made for the cave's exit and once outside stretched like a cat—or, Violet estimated, like a pile of about seven hundred cats."

This book is incredibly charming. The magic involved is original and well thought out, and the characters are loveable. If anything, they yield a little bit too easily to convey the plot point, but that's easily forgiven because this is book is just so nice.
I'm really looking forward to Minerva's next book!
Gwen
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ace-reads
This is a cute, positive tale that leaves you feeling kind. Snap is such a good dragon, and Juniper and Holly are an adorable couple.

Plus, there's some good rep here! Two trans characters, an aro-ace (older!) hero, and a character I'd call non-binary.
iam
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely & diverse little novella with a fairytale-ish vibe
Edward Vanhove
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Prachtige fantasynovelle, waarin thema's als genegenheid, vriendschap en positiviteit en een originele metafoor van het world wide web in een feilloos scenario verwerkt zijn. // A marvellous fantasy novel with a flawless scenario that brings together topics like affection, friendship, and positive attitude, as well as a fresh metaphor of the world wide web.
Jennifer Lee Rossman
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, queer, magic
I was given an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't know what to expect from this book. All I really knew about it was there's a dragon and Miranda Cerridwn wrote it, but that was enough for me because she's a terrific writer.

The story starts off in a small town besieged by a snarky dragon with an affinity for shiny things, and asexual/aromantic knight Sir Violet develops a working relationship with him when he goes to retrieve the objects from Snap's cave. Their banter is great.

I was
Diontae Jaegli
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming fairy tale with updated morals for a modern audience and an inclusive cast that normalizes being LGBTQ in all the right ways. Look forward to lovable personalities such as a sassy but soft dragon, two women deeply in love, and a knight who would rather be home with a hot cup of cocoa.
This book is perfect for a quick read when you're craving something lighthearted or a new bedtime story for your children. While the moralizing can be a bit on the nose at times, I found it didn't take aw
Melanie
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 5 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-dBY

From that review: " Ever read a story that made your heart smile? That left you feeling warm, happy, and with an urge to read it out loud to someone?  Children, adults?  Just because to wanted to spread the joy a special tale had given you?  Well, The Dragon of Ynys by Minerva Cerridwen  is that story."

For all our reviews, check out http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords...
Jessie Pinkham
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A light, easy read that's well-written and very diverse. I particularly like the dragon, and the idea that those we *think* have it all might still feel very alone.

It's slightly more heavy-handed than I expected from the blurb, but if you're up for a story with a message, this is a good one. (view spoiler)
Barry Raifsnider
This was absolutely amazing! I really loved the relationship that developed between Violet and Snap the dragon, Violet was definitely aroace and it seemed like Snap was too, and their friendship was just lovely. I really liked all of the characters and thought the story was well paced and just perfect!
P
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sofie
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute fairy tale, going in against the standard fairy tale expectations. A very enjoyable quick read!
Hart
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel all warm inside after reading this adorable original fairy tale.

Sir Violet is the lone knight of an isolated village, responsible for investigating local crimes. A dragon moves into the area and keeps nicking small items from the villagers, which brings him to Violet's attention. Eventually, Violet (who is aro-ace), the dragon, and a trans lesbian go on a quest to find her wife. Then, they all carry out a plan to improve their world, in a manner that both fits a fairy tale and is a metap
Reader
Jul 06, 2018
Tricia
rated it it was ok
May 21, 2018
Kathy Johnson
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fantasy short story. It involves an asexual/aromantic main character. It has a moral to it and was a fairly quick read. The characters a developed and the pace is quick. Overall enjoyable.
Kerri
Sep 26, 2018
Nekioka
Jun 05, 2018
Ace Book Club: The Dragon of Ynys 4 23 Oct 04, 2018 08:22AM
Less Than Three P...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway - The Dragon of Ynys by Minerva Cerridwen - CLOSED 14 24 May 25, 2018 10:43AM
Minerva Cerridwen is a pharmacist from Belgium who has loved writing fiction since she was five. Her first written story was about a princess picking berries; the second about a bear who met a pirate-detective. She enjoys baking, drawing and handlettering, and is a fan of Doctor Who, Sherlock Holmes, and Harry Potter. Currently she is working on her first science fiction novel with her Danish co-w ...more