Start by marking “Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful” as Want to Read:
Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful

Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful

For fans of television shows Black Mirror and Westworld, this compelling, mind-bending novel is a twisted look into the future, exploring how far we will go to remake ourselves into the perfect human specimen and what it means to be human at all.

Set in our world, spanning the near to distant futures, Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful is a novel made up of six
Published December 4th 2018 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful, please sign up.
Asteropê Just look on Amazon. Now it says: "This title will be released on December 4, 2018."

Start your review of Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Does that mean that humans, as a race, have allowed imagination and beauty to infiltrate their lives with each passing generation? Or have they destroyed imagination and beauty by capturing and codifying them? In which case—am I the final result?

I… absolutely loved this.

So this is an exploration of the world in the future, with technology but mostly with genetic engineering. but there's something about it that really made it stick out for me - throughout, this leaned into discussions of
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

This book was absolutely amazing. Spanning over hundred of years it shows the evolution of humanity with the advances in science that have been made. This book was brilliant and thought provoking as well as terrifying and undeniably real. This book is something that can’t be missed in 2018/2019.

I didn't realize this was an anthology when I had requested it, so I was a little skeptical since I am not the biggest fan of anthologies but
Arlen
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful by Arwen Elys Dayton
Publication date December 4, 2018
Read courtesy of NetGalley.com

FAN-TAS-TIC!!!!

There was a tadd* of a thread throughout this book of consecutive stories. Amazingly well done and thoroughly enjoyable. I will definitely be getting this for my library!

Each story could be a stand alone, but they are also smoothly interwoven... and thought provoking. The first vaccine, first heart transplant, and first clone (remember Dolly the Sheep?)
Sophie (Blame Chocolate) *on hiatus*
Stronger, Faster and More Beautiful by Arwen Elys Dayton

Read the full review and more at Blame Chocolate.

A big thank you to Harper Collins / Harper Voyager for the review copy. This has not influenced my opinion in any way.

Stronger, Faster and More Beautiful was a very pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting to get invested in a genre I rarely read but it happened and it made me want to reach for ones like this more often! (Feel free to make recommendations)

It was incredibly well-written, had an almost perfect grasp on characters and situations, the
Tatiana
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: readers who think Cinder is good sci-fi
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
If your publisher recommends your book to fans of television shows "Black Mirror" and "Westworld" and your book's blurb says "This extraordinary work explores the amazing possibilities of genetic manipulation and life extension, as well as the ethical quandaries that will arise with these advances. The results range from the heavenly to the monstrous. Deeply thoughtful, poignant, horrifying, and action-packed, Arwen Elys Dayton's Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful is groundbreaking in both ...more
Dirk
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful by Arwen Elys Dayton! (received an ARC from the publisher.)

I LOVE this book! I could not put it down. I have read all of Arwen Dayton's books and am addicted to her imagination, characters and stories. They take me on a journey whereby I feel I am watching a great film when reading.

With these several stories, the author took me on fascinating adventures and got me to consider and look at new viewpoints on science, progress, bodies and moral
Sarah Forester
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC of "SFMB" by a friend and read it last week on vacation. I'm intrigued with the idea of genetic modification, and since I enjoyed the "Seeker" series, I was eager to dip into another of Dayton's worlds.

What a ride! SFMB was incredible. The "Dolphin Boy" story (no spoilers) was by far my favorite.

This book is about a future that is both exciting and terrifying. I loved it.
Sherry Larson
Book: Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful by Arwen Elys Dayton

I thought this was one of the most imaginative books I have read in a long time. Very different from her Seeker Series, though they were also imaginative. In many ways this book is more disturbing, dealing with real possibilities in our future and because I can see how something potentially great can get really screwed up depending on who uses it and for what purpose. Enjoyable, out-there read!
Tina Gundy
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stronger, Fast, and More Beautiful is an intriguing read. It will leave you wondering how far we can and will take genetic engineering/human modification. Just because we can, does it mean we should?

The book consists of six parts containing different stories that are related to the main idea (genetic engineering/modification). The beginning started a little slow for my taste but as the stories continued, I found I could not put the book down. Each story was unique. If you enjoy Sci-Fi stories
Molly
This book, a set of short(ish) stories set in the distant future when gene-editing has become a reality, is unexpectedly sweet and terrifying all at once. I don't want to say much about the plots, as it is honestly such a delight to read - one of the best books I have read this year, hands-down.
Andrea Reader
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read an Arc copy and couldn't put it down. It has everything in it that I love. The reality of what the future brings, great love story and heart. I have been telling everyone about this book!
Alexandra
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this book! I was given an ARC by the publisher, and having really enjoyed Dayton's Seeker series, I thought this would be of a similar ilk. It's just completely different, and really really special.

As some other reviewers have stated, yes, it is in the same family as the Black Mirrors of today, but "Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful" is a more intimate look at the good, the bad and the gnarly of where technology could take us. These several
Sheryle
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wow! This book was a winner from the first page to the last. Each of the six stories was so interesting on its own, but, tied together by a thin and frightening thread, they made up a truly remarkable story. Before starting the book I thought it was going to be more on the light side; perhaps looking at how physical modifications might effect one person at a time, in both the near and more distant future. Instead, it took a much broader look at what could happen throughout the world of the ...more
Alice
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A subtle wisdom weaves its way through the interconnected stories that make up "Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful." What will be the outcome of genetic modification of bodies when the world has not yet caught up with knowledge of the humanities and ethics? What is the effect of these developments on human beings and their ability to love without reservation? Dayton's writing contains wit, humor and a vital intelligence, drawing characters from the inside out, giving us the gift of feeling ...more
Jasmine
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Definitely Everyone.
***Actual Rating: 4.5/5 Lucky-to-be-Human Stars***

”How much of you is real?”

Oh, man, this book makes me feel so good about being a human. To begin with, Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful consists of six stories, demonstrating six different (yet somehow connected) scenarios of what artificial intelligence (A.I.) may be capable of in the near future. Each story showcases how the cyborgs may coexist with human beings and start to blend in our initial world without being noticed at first.
Scott
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Arwen Alys Dayton.

Remember that name.

Judging from her incandescent collection Stronger, Faster and More Beautiful Dayton is an author with real talent, a writer destined to make a mark on SF.

Stronger, Faster… is a series of short stories that deal with the technological modification of the human body and the broader effects such manipulations might have on us and our world.

If you’re groaning at the prospect of short stories, then hold up! This isn’t your standard collection of random,
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Where oh where to begin? Well, let's start with how fabulous this was, and then actually, let's just never stop. In fact, when trying to write about it, all I can come up with are things that make me want to shove this into your hands immediately, so let's just go with that, yeah? Great.

Reasons to grab thyself a copy ASAP:

•It is terrifyingly plausible how human beings would do both
Kate
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5stars
4.15.19 edit - upping this to the full 5 stars cause this book hasn’t left my brain since I finished it

4/5stars

Maybe a 4.25? I REALLY enjoyed this! It’s a collection of 6 well length short stories that show the progression of America if it was to start genetically modifying humans - a concept we have actually already begun in our world. I would HIGHLY recommend this to fans of Neal Shusterman because of the modern day commentary in a dystopian/scifi world that stems from our own world
Vicky Who Reads
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars

I was so excited for this one and very much expecting to love it, so I was really sad that it didn't completely click for me.

I think a lot of people will love it (see Lili @ Utopia State of Mind who wrote this wonderful review here) but I think it just didn't click with me, honestly.

The concept was perfect and something I totally could have loved--a set of multigenerational stories about the effects of altering humans so they're, well, stronger, faster, and more beautiful.

I'm a huge
Liz Barnsley
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a genuinely thought provoking and highly engaging set of six stories, imagining a future where bodily enhancement is off the scale, offering both huge advantage but also distinct ethical issues.
The author takes us into the future, first just a little and then further and further down a dark and twisted path for humanity. Each story tells the tale of one affected character, each is utterly compelling and intriguingly believable, offering up human drama on a quietly emotional scale.
Linked
Rebecca Allen
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
I requested this book from NetGalley based on a recommendation from an author I love:

"An alternately charming and horrifying exploration of what it means to be human and how far we'll go in pursuit of personal and societal 'perfection.' I devoured this book." --Kiersten White, New York Times bestselling author of And I Darken

It lived up to that! The book is a series of short stories, each with a different set of characters living out possible futures that employ today's emerging technologies
Sky Morfopoulos
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received and ARC from the publisher and found this to be a fascinating read. Arwen Dayton is an incredibly imaginative writer, and I found several of the stories take twists and turns that I hadn't expected. In some ways the subjects are grotesque and uncomfortable, but there is also a gritty realness to her writing which allows her characters to live and breath amongst us. Her understanding of human nature and why people act as they do is impressive. We see this manifested in each of her ...more
USOM
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

There are so many brilliant things to say about Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful. While this collection is six separate stories, they are interwoven throughout a common thread. We can appreciate the distance between the stories, as well as the similarities. It never felt disjointed, just like separate parts of this immense gorgeous robotic machine working in harmony. What I
Paul
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every story is a bittersweet satisfaction. A try for perfection, yet a dash towards a possible cliff.

Highly recommended for high school students and beyond. The speculative and dystopian fan will jump to this book.

For my full review: https://paulspicks.blog/2018/11/10/st...

For all my reviews: https://paulspicks.blog
Christy
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this in a DAY and did not want to put it down. Told in an expanding universe where bioengineering continues to test the limits of humanism and humans inevitably act like humans, this story is so real and yet unlike anything else I've ever read. Don't sleep on this beauty!
Samadhi
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
This was such an awesome book. I takes place in different parts of the future and all of the stories are connected by one guy. In the future people are changing the way they look and its crazy to the point where they might not even look human. Everyone should definetely read this book.
Theresa
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful (Hardcover)
by Arwen Elys Dayton
This is a compilation of stories in the book, loosely tied to each other because of the idea and premise that human adaptation will change the world as we understand.
Part One
Matched Pair
A set of semi-identical twins are dying. They are losing a battle against their own bodies, but its opposing parts that are failing. So the doctors propose a solution, combine them to save one. But which would you save, which is more viable.
The Captain
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

This novel contains six interconnected stories that showcase the possibilities and potential problems that could result from medical science. Apparently the author's first thought when reading about gene editing was "This is it! We'll be able to eradicate disease, extend our lives, turn humans into superhumans!" Her second thought was "We will definitely find some
Charlie Anders
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is unlike any YA novel, or for that matter any science fiction book, I've read lately. Dayton writes a series of self-contained stories about people whose minds and bodies have been enhanced with genetic engineering, transgenic alterations and cybernetics, and each story contains some of the wonder, and some of the horror, of "upgrading" your body. Read together, these six stories add up to a kind of future history of human augmentation, with each story going further into the future ...more
Blair
A lightweight but skilful sci-fi novel-in-stories – I think it's meant to be YA, but there's definitely crossover appeal here. The starting point is 'Matched Pair': in a very near-future version of our world, the organs of teenage twins (both terminally ill) can be 'synthesised' so one of them will be able to live a long and healthy life. The book continues this theme through a series of interlinked tales that stretch into the far future. Body modification technology and gene editing become ever ...more

• Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
  • Internment
  • We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • The Kingdom
  • Pet
  • The Grace Year
  • You Must Not Miss
  • My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
  • The Similars (The Similars, #1)
  • Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee
  • Shout
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
Arwen Elys Dayton is best known for her 2012 novel Resurrection and the YA Seeker trilogy. She began her career as a teenage staff writer at a foundation that produced Peabody Award-winning educational shows for PBS. Soon afterward, she began writing novels.

She spends months doing research for her stories. Her explorations have taken her around the world to places like the Great Pyramid (which she
“This is something you learn when you have taken hundreds of tests: The person who wrote the test has selected one answer as truth. If you don’t choose that answer, you are marked as having chosen wrong. And yet, as the test taker, you still get to select which answer you believe is correct. It is your option, always, to see the answer differently from anyone else.” 1 likes
“If God gave us minds, should we not embrace the fruits of those minds? Surely it is a mercy, and a beautiful calling, to minister to the injured and the ill?” 0 likes