Start by marking “Night Shift” as Want to Read:
Night Shift

Night Shift

Antarctica. A mining base at the edge of the world. Anders Nordvelt is over-promoted and he knows it. Arriving at Australis base on the last transport before the long night falls, he is to take over as Chief of Security. It should be an easy job. The crew have all been rigorously psychoanalysed and he's there only because the rulebook says the position must be filled. The ...more
Published November 6th 2018 by Flame Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Night Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Shift

Lisa
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
This book should have terrified me, but it didn't. Antarctica in the winter time? Heck no! My problem is that I figured out whodunit almost from the beginning. Normally this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, if there had been more world and character building. The little I did get to know about these people, the less I liked. The world outside of Antarctica is something I was real curious about, yet not much was revealed, and what was revealed just left me with more questions. I did like the MC ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
When Anders is given a new job way above his pay grade, he’s grateful. Working as the only security guard overlooking a crew of a dozen miners in Antarctica for six months? Everyone assumes it’s going to be a quiet six months of kicking back and doing nothing—until the bodies start piling up, and all fingers are pointed in his direction.

I can be picky about “whodunit” thrillers like this, but I absolutely adore Antarctica as a setting, so I was immediately intrigued by the synopsis. I’m a suck
Juli
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anders Nordvelt has been hired to work the night shift. But in Antarctica in a mining camp, the night shift is six months long. Anders will effectively be stranded at the end of the world with 12 other people. While Anders feels he isn't really qualified to be the security chief at an Antarctic station, the mining operation is well supplied and safe....so what could possibly go wrong? Turns out.....a lot.

I love reading action stories or thrillers about Antarctica. It's the ultimate spot, isn't
Michael Hicks
Robin Triggs delivers an initially-solid-but-ultimately-rage-inducing Antarctic mystery-thriller peppered with a few doses of low-key science fiction concepts, in his debut, Night Shift.

As the Australis base prepares for six months of darkness, a freshly-appointed security officer, Anders Nordvelt, arrives just in time for the crew to find themselves under attack. Obviously, it doesn't take long for Nordvelt to become the prime suspect in the baffling string of disasters befalling the Australis'
Frank Errington
Review copy

Let me start by saying I wanted Night Shift to be something other than what it turned out to be. Let's face it, a mining base in the Antarctic at the start of a six-month-long night shift doesn't your mind immediately turn to The Thing? So, I'm expecting a monster. I got one, it just happened to be of the human variety.

Anton Nordvelt is a last-minute replacement for head of security at Australis...

"I don’t know what they told you back in Tierra, but you’re only here because we have to
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
We had good cause for fear. This assignment was rapidly becoming a nightmare. Just a few days into the night shift and we already had a death on our hands.
Night Shift is more of a whodunit thriller story with some underdeveloped science fiction worldbuilding elements. The story is a spin on the And Then There Were None motif of a group of strangers are isolated from the outside and are picked off one by one. 13 people are working in Antarctica for what is known as the night shift: a six mont
Laura Thomas
I was really wanting to love this. Stories that are set in Antarctica are a big draw for me. The harshness of frigid temps and the isolation from society. It brings group dynamics into play. Another favorite aspect for me.

It was fascinating to see how this group of miners would handle the challenges that were thrown at them. The long night is coming. A new Chief of Security, Anders Norvekdt, arrives. The crew lacks confidence in his abilities as the winter over starts. His own self doubt is evid
Autumn Is Azathoth
Review of NIGHT SHIFT by Robin Triggs

I love Antarctica. I always have loved everything about the concept of Antarctica (up until the last few years of ice melt and global warming). I am fascinated by the “winter over” syndrome which seems to occur only in Antarctica: that specialized, location-specific version of Seasonal Affective Disorder, caused by isolation, deep winter, and six months of night (hence the term, night shift). So I was delighted to find NIGHT SHIFT, an engrossing, captivating,
Red Lace Reviews
Anders Nordvelt arrives, newly promoted, at Australis, a mining base located in the desolate plains of Antarctica. As Chief of Security, it's his responsibility to make daily life is as smooth as possible for the crew, however it's soon apparent he's not welcome. Complicated relationships and old resentment are just the beginning however, as when the night shift begins, so does the sabotage. The very future of humanity falls upon Anders, and he struggles to discover the traitor of the project.

Suzy Michael
*I was given a copy by the publisher in return for a fair and honest review.*

Night Shift by Robin Triggs is a fast, dystopian type novel that mimics "The Thing" in many ways. Only in this story, the monster is human. The writer settles on two key elements for the theme, isolation and survival, and all the fears and threats that come with it.
Taking place sometime in the near future- 20 years give or take, the world is depleting its resources at an alarming rate. A corporation called "The Company"
Keith Chawgo
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Antarctica thriller slight sci-fi novel takes an age old plot device and gives it an exotic backdrop and delivers. It is a page turner that truly delivers and kept me engaged throughout.

The characters are well developed and when they start disappearing one by one, you particularly start to care and they are not there as just fodder for the plot to spit out. This is a credit to Triggs to be able to provide a classic plot of people in a remote area and being picked off one by one. He pulled t
S.J. Budd
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by Flame Tree publishing in exchange for an honest review. I've loved each book they've sent me which are all horror/supernatural which is absolutely my thang! But when I realised this book was science fiction I was instantly put off.

However I really loved this book, it only took me a day to read it. I would actually classify this as a dystopian thriller with a thin element of science fiction.

Robin Triggs does a great job of writing a book full of mystery and intrigue. I lo
Jonathan Tripp
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this Murder mystery with a hint of futurism (is that a word lol). The isolation, the characters are great. Definitely was a page turner! 5 star review!
Serenity
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First time reading anything by this author. Mystery thriller. It was a little repetitious for me. I became bored about halfway through, and wasn't too surprised to find out who did it and why.
Nicole Amburgey
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I requested this title for one reason: Antarctica. I am endlessly fascinated by the icy, desolate continent and will devour any books – fiction or non-fiction – that are set there. There is something in the isolation that I find both alluring and utterly terrifying.

Night Shift proved itself to be an enjoyable whodunnit that contained all of the fear and paranoia of John Carpernter’s The Thing mixed with the almost cozy quality of Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express.

I don’t want to giv
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
So this book starts up right as Anders, the MC, arrives at the mining base of Australis. The previous security guard left under questionable circumstances and the crew are not very welcoming of a new member. A few days after Anders arrives, a celebration is held honoring the last sunset for six months. Anders is still learning about the individuals stationed at Australis when he is thrown smack dab in a murder investigation. Slowly but surely someone is picking off the crew and since he is the n ...more
Mandie
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the Antarctic, Night Shift is certainly not the normal type of book you would find me reading, however I am glad that I picked it up. From the first few pages I was hooked as I wanted to know what had led up to that moment and why the character was in fear for their life.
Set in the future and told from the viewpoint of Anders Nordvelt who has been sent to the Australis station to replace the previous head of security, you get the feeling of isolation right from the start as they are cut o
Lesley Hillman
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Flame Tree Press for this copy of Night Shift by author Robin Triggs to read in exchange for an honest review.

This a nice little read, a thriller set in a remote mining base situated in Antarctica. Anders Nordvelt finds himself as the new head of security for a mining project. This should be a routine job, there are only a handful of workers on the base, and there have never been any problems, until now. He unfortunately finds himself instantly hurled into what first seems like a sa
Storm Reads
Anders is a company man and he is replacing the last Chief of Security at a mining facility in the Antarctic. He doesn't get off to a good start as the Commander running the mine doesn't like him and thinks he is going to be trouble. Then not soon after he arrived an explosion happens and then a man dies.

As he is the new arrival he is automatically a suspect in everyone's eyes making it hard for him to try and do his job and find out what happened. It's going to be a long hard winter as is and
Cheryl
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"...this age of decay..."

Anders Nordvelt is a last minute replacement as Head of Security for the dark winter months at the Australis station in Antarctica.

The story takes place in the future at least twenty years out. The world is pretty much run by The Company. Australis is producing coal, iron and oil from an Antarctic affected by global warming.

Anders arrives at the station, contact is decreased because of winter, and almost immediately a series of horrible crimes start to happen and the ot
Gabi Porcz
The desolate, cold, harsh landscape of an Arctic book always draws me in.
This was a relatively simple whodunit novel, with elements of science-fiction blended in.
Although I cannot quite put my finger on it, there was something missing from the story to make it terrifying. Perhaps it was my guessing the culprits identity rather early on which detracted from the story.
All in all, a three-star rating.
Could have been worse.
That being said, I will give this author another chance in the future and
Angela Maher
An interesting premise in an intriguing setting. There is some good writing in this book, some excellent passages and turns of phrase, but I have to say it didn't really grab me.
I think it's mostly because I didn't like the main character. He came across as passive and weak, and lacked the hidden strength (or other traits) that would have rounded him out. I just couldn't connect with him or feel sorry for him.
I also guessed at the main gist of the twist fairly early on. There were some unexpecte
Libby
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Night Shift was originally so promising--the tension and suspense kept me glued to my couch trying to scarf down as much content in one sitting as possible. However, the element that could have elevated the book (the futuristic capitalist dystopia) wasn't fully fleshed out. I didn't really feel the impact on this particular world order on the characters. Finally, the "twist" at the end didn't seem worth the payoff. I wanted something a little bit more original, or surprising. However, it was a s ...more
Bucks, Books & Beyond
This is a brilliant twist on the ‘who done it’ concept. Multiple murders and multiple motives and suspects kept me guessing throughout the book and just when I thought I had it figured out something would happen that would completely turn my thinking around. This for me was a very enjoyable read. I think the background involving ‘The Company’ potentially lends itself to more books and I hope to read more from this author in the future.
OutlawPoet
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are other Antarctic mysteries out there, but this is a very good one!

The author puts directly into that cold wasteland and gives us a very intriguing mystery with an absolutely surprising solution. I truly didn’t expect the *who* in our ice-cold whodunnit – it was a nice surprise.

The book is a fast read and features a small group of fascinating characters.

Happy I read this one!

*ARC Provided via Net Galley
Chris Carroll
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A futuristic murder mystery set in an Antarctic mining base at the beginning of the 6-month night, Night Shift is a tense thriller and a claustrophobic nightmare. Triggs balances several characters and motives well in this book that would make a great movie one day.
Melisa Broadbent
3.5 stars - review to follow!
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
I liked this one but I didn't love it as much as I was hoping. It wasn't as action packed as I hoped and I wasn't a fan of the ending.
Melise
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The past three months have been super busy for me—and that has resulted in my reading a number of books without having an opportunity to write reviews for them. Things have finally slowed down a bit, and I am taking the opportunity to review some of the books that I read over that period. When I saw this title in my list of books that I still needed to review, I didn’t remember the name—but the minute I glanced at the synopsis, I was flooded with visual/sensory memories of my feelings while read ...more
Craig Pearson
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
While this book takes place in the future it is more of a who-dun-it than science fiction. Triggs adds many nuances to the story that imply a future series in a post-war apoclyptic world. The pace of the story is rather slow but does not bog down. The only issue would be a lack of emergency communication or procedures when communication is lost. Does not seem realistic.