Start by marking “Did You Burp?: How to Ask Questions...or Not!” as Want to Read:
Did You Burp?: How to Ask Questions...or Not!

Did You Burp?: How to Ask Questions...or Not!

Asking questions may seem like it comes naturally, but it's actually a learned social skill. How do questions and answers work? What makes a good question--and what makes a rude one? Who cares about questions?

This helpful how-to guide teaches kids what a question is, when to ask one, and how to form one. Friendly tips and pointers ("Keep it short!" "Show interest!") help
Published August 6th 2019 by Charlesbridge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Did You Burp?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Did You Burp?

Start your review of Did You Burp?: How to Ask Questions...or Not!
OH MY GOD. Where has this book been in all my years of working with children?! This is amazing and I am going to try to use it as much as humanly possible.
Michele Knott
No, it's not a book about burping, although bodily functions do make an appearance in this book! It's all about questions - asking, answering, when to ask, when not to ask, how to ask, what they sound like, question words.... A great book to use when getting ready for inquiry or at the beginning of the school year!
Sandy Brehl
Another direct and family-friendly book is DID YOU BURP? How to Ask Questions...Or Not! Written by April Pulley Sayre and illustrated by Leeza Hernandez, the premise in this book is that there are skills involved in asking questions, and questions are important. Endpapers display multiple question words and punctuation symbols. Then Sayre's text launches a lively crew of diverse kids (and a pet gerbil and other random critters) through colorful, oversized, pages blending her questions and ...more
Reshamad
I love when authors get creative with non-fiction. This is a great example of such!
Did you burp? introduces elementary kids to the "art" of asking questions. The author/illustrator talks the readers through questions, types of questions, what kinds there are, what are the opportunities to ask them, what feels appropriate and polite v/s impolite. The tone is overall positive and encouraging to be curious. Lovely art work and engaging for our younger readers.
Dave
Sep 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s
A Frankenstein's monster of a picturebook and a grammar textbook. The whole book is overwritten and the idiom seems wildly inappropriate for the impied audience. (Who is the author writing to anyway? Children that need to learn English grammar, have advanced vocabulary, and are capable of understanding grammatical explanations? Bizarre)

The pictures are fine. My son likes them.

Reviewed for childrenslit.com.
Cat Gemkow
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this non-fiction title, the author creates an instructive narrative revolving around the questions of her elementary school class. How and why do we ask questions, and what questions should we ask? More questions and answers are available in this wonderful book with dazzling illustrations, as well as a small gerbil who scampers across each page 0f the book.
Meredith
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Enjoyable and informative, but the layout and all the speech bubbles make it too busy/difficult to do as a class readaloud. I do kind of want to share "What a question is NOT" with my kindergartners, though, because "Today is my grandfather's birthday" and "I'm going to Great Wolf Lodge on the weekend" are not questions. Nor answers to my questions.
Melissa
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, non-fiction
This is a really good resource for how to communicate. It covers questions vs statements and how to ask a question instead of telling a really long story. It teaches purposes of questions as well as the who, what, where, when, why, and how.
Annette
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
The book is a great topic for elementary school children- "How to ask questions..." My kids enjoyed me reading, and then exploring the little thought bubbles and pictures together. It spurred great conversation about questions!
Amy
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute book that teaches kids about questions, including what's appropriate to ask in a crowd vs what's not, but I don't think this book actually teaches kids how to construct a question (sentence structure), so not sure that this book sets out to do what it actually intended.
Katie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Getting young children to understand the difference between a question and a comment is a hard concept and this book does a great job of showing the difference. I cannot wait to add this to our school library collection and share this book with our teachers and students.
Kelly
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a book all about questions...how to ask them, when to ask them, and what a question actually is! Loved it.
Mary Lee
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
So much fun! Lots to look at in every picture and lots of small stories to discover throughout the book.
Holly
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bought for JE 153 though many seem to be going with 428.
Maggie Mattmiller
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely one I would be adding to my classroom this year if I had one!
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Amy
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book about the art of asking and answering different types of questions.
Allie Outhouse

• The Great Santa Stakeout
  • The Important Thing About Margaret Wise Brown
  • The Boring Book
  • SumoKitty
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Sulwe
  • A Big Bed for Little Snow
  • River
April Pulley Sayre is an award-winning children’s book author of over 55 natural history books for children and adults. Her read-aloud nonfiction books, known for their lyricism and scientific precision, have been translated into French, Dutch, Japanese, and Korean. She is best known for pioneering literary ways to immerse young readers in natural events via creative storytelling and unusual ...more