Start by marking “The Raven Tower” as Want to Read:

The Raven Tower

Gods meddle in the fates of men, men play with the fates of gods, and a pretender must be cast down from the throne in this breathtaking first fantasy novel from Ann Leckie, New York Times bestselling author and winner of the Hugo, Nebula, and Arthur C. Clarke Awards.

Expected publication: February 26th 2019 by Orbit

Availability: 1 copy available, 4714 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 01 - Feb 25, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Tower, please sign up.
    Trish Some publishers offer advanced reader's copies, so that people can write reviews before the publication date. Sometimes these are reviews by people…moreSome publishers offer advanced reader's copies, so that people can write reviews before the publication date. Sometimes these are reviews by people working in the industry, book bloggers, professional reviewers, and sometimes they offer them to the more general public. Many of the books on the Goodreads Giveaway program are ARC's. The books are usually marked as an advanced copy and might not be the complete formatting that the published book will have, can contain errors, etc.(less)

Phrynne
    Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 5000-2019
    I rushed to Netgalley to get hold of an advance copy of this book based on how much I enjoyed Leckie's science fiction series. The Raven Tower is fantasy which I also love, but somehow this one just missed the mark for me.

Of course the writing is good and as usual for this author it is presented in an unusual way. Very unusual actually since the narrator is a rock who is also a god. This god spends a large part of the book philosophising on anything and everything as to be expected since he does
    Lizy
    Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Holy sh*t, y'all. And let me repeat: holy sh*t.

I have to start this review with how I heard about this book. I had the amazing opportunity to meet with Ann Leckie twice during SIBA18, both during the Rise of Alt SFF panel and again during the moveable feast of authors, where she had 90 seconds to tell my table about her first foray into fantasy. I loved the way she summarized her book and I have no doubt her synopsis will sound way, way better than anything I could pen, so I'm going to unapologe
    Bob Milne
    Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Here is a story I have heard.

It is a story that is easy to admire, to appreciate, to acknowledge as something wholly unique within the fantasy genre, and yet it is a difficult one to enjoy. You likely have never read a story quite like it, and whether you would like to read another is probably what will divide the fans from the frustrated.

Here is another story I have heard.

It is a story that is technically impressive, told with an unusual point-of-view, and through an original voice. You, for al
    Liz Barnsley
    Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Here is a story I’ve heard…
    Ann Leckie has written a highly absorbing, beautifully imagined fantasy novel, with a quirky, atmospheric and highly engaging character voice…
    I probably didn’t need to take the third party precautionary measure because I believe this to be true, but care in all things, especially when you pick up The Raven Tower because it will deprive you of sleep and leave you longing for more.
    In a world where God’s and human’s intertwine, a God cannot speak false. One God tells the
    Nils | nilsreviewsit
    Feb 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
    After hearing such praise for Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Justice series, but having never read it myself, I was really excited to try her fantasy debut, The Raven Tower. The premise sounded just my kind of story; I mean the idea of a Raven god and a Raven’s Lease who’s duty is to sacrifice themselves when the Raven god dies, sounded like a bloody good fantasy read! Plus the characters were proposed to be extremely diverse. However... this book just wasn’t for me.
    🦅
    At first I did like the unique narra
    Holly (The Grimdragon)
    "There will be a reckoning."

This.. is a DNF for me. I tried. I really did. I made it to page 137 and just.. I couldn't go on.

You know I believe in being completely honest in my reviews. Whelp.. The Raven Tower will probably tick the boxes for most people, but that just wasn't the case for me. At all. Clearly.

I was pleasantly surprised to have received this. When I first opened it up, I couldn't get over the gorgeous cover, the beautifully detailed pages in the front and the map. HELLO. What read
    Timy
    Actual rating: 2.5 stars

You can find this review on my blog with my choice of music.

I've got an ARC from Orbit in exchange of an honest review.

Ever since I laid eyes on the cover and the blurb, I knew I had to read The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie. I was kind of obsessed with it and couldn’t wait to get my hands on one. Which I did over Christmas and was so happy that I just hugged it to my chest (ask James). So you can imagine how hyped I was when I could finally crack it open. I also have to ment
    Libertie
    Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Ann Leckie seems to enjoy writing books in which the main characters are big, sentient objects.

I'm a bookseller who received an advance reader copy of the book after having the pleasure of meeting Ann at the SIBA Discovery Show. I was extremely excited about the work, having been a fan of "Ancillary Justice."

Well, "The Raven Tower" lived up to my lofty expectations! Like the Ancillary Trilogy, this work showcases Ann's incredible skill for building fantastical realms. The central trope is a sort
    Allison
    Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Oh how I love fantasy novels about GODS and the nature of DIVINITY and oh HOW THIS BOOK DELIVERED.
    Alex
    Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
    This was a funny little story. More Ancillary than Provenance, but I found myself wanting more plot. There is a lot of Hamlet here, complete with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

I love the narrator, but it almost feels like this started as short fiction about the Strength and Patience and then she's added a story to fill it out.

I'm curious to see how this lands with the rest of the fantasy/spec fic world, because I could really see it going either way. But I'll end by saying that I really love tha
     Charlie - A Reading Machine
    I made every effort to adapt to the incredibly unique viewpoint in which, essentially, you are the main character and have lost your memory and someone is explaining everything that happened to you as though they were there watching you but I could not. I don't mind being challenged by story, characters, concepts but being unable to reconcile the viewpoint is about as interesting as struggling with the font type. A book for more experimental, patient and exploratory minded readers than myself.

DN
    Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
    Dec 06, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr
    More ravens... Why am I not surprised?
    Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
    The Raven Tower is bound to be one of the most phenomenal fantasy novels of 2019. If you’re not familiar with Ann Leckie’s work, her science fiction series (starting with Ancillary Justice) swept the award season when it debuted. WIth The Raven Tower, she turns her hand to fantasy, and the result is wonderful. I feel like this book would appeal to fans of N.K. Jemisin… but if you’ve read Jemisin, you’ve likely already read Leckie! Regardless, this is a novel you need to pick up.

Gods interfere di
    Rendz
    Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
    3.5
    *Thank you for the ARC, HBG Canada!*

What I Liked:

Very Shakespearean…I see you Hamlet

It’s not that hard to tell that this book draws heavily from Hamlet. Of course there are several key differences in the narrative and the “Hamlet” character is not the star of the show, it’s Horatio a.k.a. Eolo. I really enjoyed the similarities I could pick out (I drew all the parallels to the play on my own *feels gassed*), but the politics of it all was very different. So while the story had loose threads c
    FanFiAddict
    Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
    Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Thanks to Paola Crespo and the lovely people over at Orbit for an advanced reading copy of The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this ARC did not influence my thoughts or opinions on the novel.

Synopsis

For centuries, the kingdom of Iraden has been protected by the god known as the Raven. He watches over his territory from atop a tower in the powerful port of Vastai. His will is enacted through the Raven’s Lease, a human ruler chosen by the go
    Charlotte
    Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019-release
    Oh my god I am obsessed with this. A masterful fantasy novel which is a mystery novel about politics and deep history and... religion, kind of, and. It’s beautiful and lyrical and surprising and queer and full of characters I love and characters I hate. In the best way.
    Ivan
    Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2019
    En Leki se proslavila trilogijom Imperial Radch, koju je napisala zanimljivim stilom i spejs operu pretvorila u društveno angažovani komentar o rodu i polu kao socijalnim konstruktima. Nakon jednog samostalnog romana u istom univerzumu, ona sada čitaocima nudi potpuno nov naslov fantazijske provinijencije, a relativno neobične strukture, što je izgleda popularno kod novijih autora. Na stranu to, čini mi se da je ovo jedini roman koji sam u životu pročitao a da je pisan u drugom licu. Možda greši ...more
    Mike
    Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I always seem to begin my reviews of Ann Leckie's books by remarking that she has the fortunate/unfortunate situation of having written a first book so amazing that all her others will be compared to it; and that so far, for me, none of her other books have quite equalled it. That's the case again with this one, her first fantasy novel. It's good - I'd even say very good - but in the shadow of her first book, not quite as outstanding.

Once again, it plays with point of view. This time, Leckie ha
    Scout Maria
    Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    It’s 1:14 AM since I couldn’t go to sleep until I’d finished, so full review to come. In the meantime: !!!
    Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
    FYI this novel is written in second person. Not my thing ever, so just putting it out there. Wouldn't have downloaded this if I'd known.
    Tsana Dolichva
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie was not at all what I expected. When I first heard that there would Leckie had written a fantasy book, I was ambivalent. I like her SF, but haven’t recently felt the need for new fantasy series in my life. But then some friends with early review copies started gushing about and I figured I might as well join their ranks.

There are two main storylines in this book and both are told from the point of view of a god, in a world where there are many gods of different powe
    Pile By the Bed
    Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Ann Leckie practically redefined what space opera could be with her debut Ancillary series. And in The Raven Tower she does a similar thing for fantasy. Using a Shakespeare meets Homer scaffold she brings a new twist on the relationship between humans and divine beings.
    The Raven Tower opens in second person. Writing in this way is always a bit of a high wire act. NK Jemisin used it to great effect in her Hugo winning Broken Earth trilogy. But there is method to Leckie’s madness (and great litera
    Janie G
    Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    I rarely get excited about things these days, but I literally squealed with joy when I saw the Netgalley invitation to read The Raven Tower in my inbox.

Ann Leckie writes books with characters and perspectives that are so very different from anything else out there. She often goes weird and it works. The Raven Tower alternates between first and second person (seriously!), the story told from the perspective of a god. The world Leckie creates is so interesting, I could have read thousands of page
    Bryn Hammond
    Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: imagined-fiction
    Notable for its gods doing science -- figuring out scientific principles as they exist over the ages and watch the human species crawl out of the water and make societies.

I definitely felt the gods' past-set story the most inventive part of this book. The human story that ran in tandem, present-day, seemed a bit simple for its size, so there was repetition, and more standard fare.

In all, ideas-fantasy and most welcome.

ARC through NetGalley.
    Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
    Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: read-2018
    Strong book to end 2018 with, yay!

As a preamble I haven't read Leckie's 'Imperial Radch' series; I tried and didn't manage to get through the first book simply because I didn't get it though I appreciate that it exists, for sure. I simply didn't feel smart enough to read it, like how some may struggle to read Shakespeare.

This is Leckie's first fantasy novel - a genre I'm more comfortable in than science fiction (as much as I love it) so I thought I'd give it a go - Leckie is an amazing writer,
    Fae Crate
    Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Wonderful world building and writing. Well developed and strong character growth and descriptions. The cover is very enticing and the description teases you to figure out what the book is actually about.

I read this book in roughly a week and highly enjoyed it. Fans of Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss will enjoy this book.
    jaypee
    Jun 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
    That blurb ! Hot damn!
    Ash
    Jun 16, 2018 marked it as i-need-2019
    What IS this book? The blurb has me so mesmerized.
    Katy
    Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3.5 stars - review to come
    « previous 1 3 4 5 next »
    • The City We Became
    • A Brightness Long Ago
    • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
    • Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House #1)
    • Middlegame
    • Empress of Forever
    • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
    • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
    • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
    • The Light Brigade
    • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal #2)
    • The Bird King
    • Gods of Jade and Shadow
    • One Word Kill (Impossible Times, #1)
    • This Is How You Lose the Time War
    • The Witness for the Dead (The Goblin Emperor, #2)
    • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
    • Hierophant (Founders, #2)