Start by marking “News from Me, Lucy McGee” as Want to Read:
News from Me, Lucy McGee

News from Me, Lucy McGee

When the coolest girl in the class invites you to her exclusive after-school club, how can you say no?

Even if it means skipping out on Songwriting Club? Even if she's always been too popular to give you the time of day? Even if she asks you to paint the walls and serve the tea...?

Soon Lucy McGee realizes she's been tricked into becoming mean girl Scarlett Tandy's erran
Published October 9th 2018 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about News from Me, Lucy McGee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about News from Me, Lucy McGee

Teresa Bateman
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lucy is having trouble making good choices. She has promised her friend, Philip, that she will join his song-writing club. But the compliment of being asked to join the club of the most popular girl in class goes to her head and she fails to realize that she is being used. She determines to change, but keeps being dragged in. Readers will chuckle and moan at Lucy's bad choices, and rejoice when she finally starts getting it right. This is a delightful book, the first in a proposed series. It wil ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
News From Me, Lucy McGee by Mary Amato, illustrated by Jessica Meserve, 125 pages. Holiday House, 2018. $16.

Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

When a coveted friend invites Lucy to skip the school songwriting club and join her craft club, Lucy jumps at the opportunity. Lucy is quickly disappointed when this friend uses her to clean and fix up her shed and even serve treats to other girls. And yet, it takes a lo
Barbara
The first title in a new series sure to appeal to fans of Junie B. Jones, this one features a protagonist and situations with which just about anyone in late elementary school. When Scarlett Tandy, the most popular girl in her class, invites Lucy McGee to join her after-school Craft Club, Lucy is torn because she's supposed to join the Songwriting Club. Readers will quickly realize that Scarlett has no intention of actually including Lucy; instead, she uses her to do all the hard jobs and even h ...more
Amy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter, nky-clear, humor
Lucy McGee kind of wants to go to Phillip’s song-writing club, but she keeps betting distracted by Scarlett’s invitations to join an exclusive club instead. Even though Scarlett’s ideas always seem to mean trouble for Lucy, Lucy cannot resist the allure of a group of girls to be her friends and makes many mistakes trying to win them over. Lucy figures out her mistakes and apologizes for her lying to her parents and friends and then REALLY joins the song writing club. It takes Lucy much longer th ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
#FirstLine ~ Surprises are my favorite things in the whole world unless it's a bad surprise.

A fantastic book about realizing that you have been tricked and doing something about it! I adored Lucy so much. She was a spitfire, spunky and insightful. I adored how she worked her way through her struggles and setbacks. It has great themes that are perfect talking points for parents and their children. I cannot wait to see where else Lucy takes us in the next installment of this series.
Becky
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kids can really relate to Lucy. She's so eager to be friends with the popular girl, she doesn't immediately get how she's being used. It also takes her a while to realize how her actions affect her friends. I love how she feels "wrong" in her stomach when she does things she shouldn't. These are all things a 7- or 8-year-old can encounter.
Leigha
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would be fun to read out loud to a kid. I wanted to read it for a silly reason. A local store was having a promotion and giving away free button pins (the kind you put on backpacks...etc) with Lucy McGee on them. I love button pins, so I got some. So I had to read the book the buttons were for, of course.
Sharon Lawler
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short and simple chapter book involving a fifth grade class dealing with the age old bully, peer pressure problem.
Alison
I was not into this book. I thought the characters were horrible and I didn't feel like anyone really learned their lesson. Lucy kept breaking rules to no real consequences and Scarlett was TERRIBLE.
Mary Napoli
Nicole
Jun 02, 2018
Susan Stickland-Swanberg
Jan 10, 2019
I write fiction for young adults and children and enjoy connecting with my readers through Skype and school visits. I also write for adults--songs, plays, poems, and essays. I teach privately via Skype and in person.