Start by marking “Wanted, A Gentleman” as Want to Read:
Wanted, A Gentleman

Wanted, A Gentleman

(Wanted #1)

Theodore Swann is a jobbing writer, proprietor of the Matrimonial Advertiser lonely hearts gazette, and all-round weasel. He’s the very last man that Martin St. Vincent would choose to rely on—and the only one who can help.

Martin is a wealthy merchant who finds himself obliged to put a stop to a young heiress’s romantic correspondence in the Matrimonial Advertiser. When sh
Published March 24th 2018 by KJC Books (first published January 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Wanted, A Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wanted, A Gentleman

K.J. Charles
Jul 26, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
So...did you know the Georgians had Lonely Hearts ads? Well, they did.

London 1805. Jobbing writer, proprietor of the Matrimonial Advertiser and all-round weasel Theo Swann is just trying to get by when Martin St. Vincent turns up. Martin is a merchant, tasked with putting a stop to a wealthy young heiress's romantic correspondence in the Advertiser. And when she and her swain make a dash for Gretna, Martin drags Theo after him on a breakneck high-speed (fourteen miles an hour!) chase up the cou
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

I'm obsessed with K.J. Charles, and I think she is an exceptionally talented author. However, this one didn't grab me like her other books.

The book is very adventure-y, and while I sometimes like stories like that, I usually like more character-focused works. I like lots of slow burn and lots of sexual tension, and while we did get some tension in this enemies-to-lovers story, I didn't feel that "snap" of a connection like I crave.

The blurb was great and the characters were well con
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

I enjoyed this story because it's K.J. Charles, so of course the writing is engaging, the dialogue masterful, and the sense of time and place (in this case London 1805) strong.

Theo makes his living putting together a sort of "city weekly" for those seeking marriage or more. Not all the ads are honest, but Theo doesn't care. He just wants to make money. His true passion is writing fiction, and he does that under the pen name Dorothea Swann.

When Martin barges into Theo's shabby office/livin
SheReadsALot
A tag team review with Chelsea

3.75-4 HEARTS (sliding scale)--

WANTED, A Gentleman of better character than he knows, who plays the Villain to the manner born. Prompt application to M.St.V. is greatly desired as a Promise remains to be kept.

Oh this was fun!

Wanted, A Gentleman is officially my first book of the year and I couldn't have chosen any better to start the new year off! Take one overworked scribbler who is a bit shifty (Theo Swann) and pair Theo with a former slave turned well to do m
Chelsea
4.5 hearts!

BR with SRAL!!!!

Now wasn’t that just a lot of fun! I love KJ Charles! She’s written some of my favourite books ever, so I was very conscious not to compare this book with her others, but just to read and enjoy it for what it was. Spoiler…. I enjoyed it immensely!

I just get so sucked into Charles’ writing. Her characters and little twists are always gripping and so well done.

Martin, and especially Theo were such interesting characters with so much depth. Martin is a free-man, after be
CrabbyPatty
Theo Swann eeks out a small desperate living, publishing a lonely hearts publication (probably the 1805 version of Grindr, Tinder, OKCupid and everything in between). One day Martin, a freed black man and former slave, asks Theo's assistance in learning the identity of an anonymous gentlemen who has been courting the 17-year-old daughter of his former owner via the want-ads.

What follows is a wild race from London to the Scottish border at breakneck speed (not to mention sore arses and aching jo
Eugenia
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fabulous story by KJC!!!

What a fabulously paced novella!!! This one sprinted straight from the starting gun and never stopped. Along the way it dealt with issues of slavery, freedom, debts, obligations, regrets, prejudice, and trust.

It was ridiculously fun to read and watch two imperfect men work together to stop an unscrupulous cad from marrying an underage girl.

We also get to see that villains can also be heroes.

Highly recommended!!! Sexy times, social commentary, and a rescue mission.
Ulysses Dietz
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wanted, a Gentleman
By K.J. Charles
Riptide Publishing, 2017
Five stars

“You’ve the world before you. It’s quite a big place, once you can raise your head and see it.”

Oh, how good it feels to give five stars to a book after having just read two books back-to-back that were so bad I couldn’t even publish the harsh notes I wrote about them. K.J. Charles has saved me again, and indeed she has accomplished this with what I think of as the most difficult of all m/m genres to pull off: Regency Romance.

I’
Ami

First of all, I have to say BRAVO to Riptide Publishing, K.J. Charles, and anyone involved in making the blurb for Wanted, A Gentleman . Seriously, it is definitely one of the most creative blurbs I have ever seen!! I love the sub title, Or, Virtue Over-Rated; which kinds of giving a clue about what the story is all about, really.

The gist of the story is this: Martin St. Vincent ropes the help of Matrimonial Advertiser's scribbler Theodore Swann in order to locate the daughter of Mart
Kaje Harper
This is a light, fun, classic romance that would be a great choice for introducing an M/F historicals reader to the M/M genre. It gives us two great characters, a touch of well-researched historical background, an amusing adventure and a plot that is not too tropey, but which harks back to the classics like Georgette Heyer.

This doesn't have the depth of theme or emotion of, say, A Seditious Affair by this author, but it was a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. The presence of a black
Caz

This new novella from the pen of K.J. Charles is a Regency Era road-trip undertaken in order to foil the elopement of an heiress and her unsuitable beau.

The couple has been corresponding secretly by placing messages in the pages of the Matrimonial Advertiser, a news-sheet dedicated to publishing what we would today call Lonely Hearts advertisements, and run by Mr. Theodore Swann, a jobbing writer who owns and runs the paper as well as scribbling romantic novels on the side.

Into his ding
☙ percy ❧
"Martin," he said. "This has been a delightful interlude, but if you don't fuck me right now, I am going to set fire to your house."
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, diverse, historical
Favorite Quote: “You don’t give an inch, do you?”

“I just took at least eight,” Theo pointed out.

I really need to go back and read KJ Charles’s backlist – as I’ve only read a couple by her and what I have read I’ve really enjoyed. In this book she gives us a more serious stoic hero paired with a wily, cocky hero – and the pairing really worked for me.

Theo makes a living by collecting advertisements to run in the paper for those people looking for a wife, husband or just love in general. For examp
Caz
I've given this a B+ for both narration and content at AudioGals, so that's a solid 4.5 stars

Wanted: A Gentleman is a standalone novella from the pen of K.J. Charles in which two very different men undertake a journey to foil an elopement and, along the way, discover that perhaps they’re not so very different after all. The audiobook clocks in at around four-and-a-half hours, but a thoroughly entertaining four-and-a-half hours it is, packing in plenty of social comment, witty dialogue, engaging
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Well, y'all, this is an enjoyable, quick read of an historical.

I've read a fair amount of historical stories in my time, with most of them falling on the heavy side with the details of life, constantly setting the scene. I love that, it's one of my favorite things about an historical, being lost in all that... history.

This story isn't like that, and I didn't know I'd need this kinda thing in my life until reading it. Having spent time with Martin and Theo. Having gotten to know them, and how we
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
So, obviously, KJC is a genius. This little book adds to an already exceptionally strong catalogue of books. Her writing is that brilliant balance of clever-funny-historically accurate-sexy-dialogue-exposition-plot. It's pretty remarkable to hit the right notes so consistently.

This book has a variety of interesting history behind it: C19th lonely hearts adverts, travel and, perhaps most crucially, what it was to be a black man in England in the early C19th and, more than that a freed slave. Ther
Sofia
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, br, 2017

Such a good skeleton of a story. Great premise, great idea for the characters, new themes to explore, new ideas. A fun read.

But skeletons do not a 5 star story make. I do not know if the particular form Charles was evoking required the style, format and length. What I do know is that I needed flesh - as in words :P Words that gave me more of the characters themselves so that when the twists and turns of the story came along I was there along for the ride not looking curiously from above.

A quick
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
MMRG Ultimate Challenge February 1, 2017 - January 31, 2017, April Bonus, Twister, Left hand Green, Book Length, 100-199 pages.

Why oh Why can't authors who write MF historical romance emulate KJ Charles?

Too, too good.

KJCs HR writing is maginficent due to outstanding period detail. Sadly, I'm rarely getting the kind of period detail I can expect in KJCs MM HR in a MF HR.

Sigh
Sam (AMNReader)
KJC never fails to hit the spot, to fill the little tiny cracks in my heart. To give me the warm fuzzies. And she doesn't go about it in an easy way ever.

This novella was delightful, sufficiently complex, etc etc.
Hollis
How dare he? How dare the fellow walk in here and weigh him up and in just a couple moments decide that Theo was untrustworthy, unreliable, ready to be bought? He was, of course. But how dare this man just assume it.

I mean.. that kind of sums it up nicely, really!

"I make my money from the hopes and dreams laid bare, and those are too important, too revealing, to be treated with anything except scorn."

Because I often don't reread a summary prior to finally tackling a book on my tbr, I had no idea
Nerea
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-historical
4.5*
I really enjoyed this one!!

It has a very good pace, good story development and the characters are really charming, specially Theo, omg I love him! Hes very vivacious, know how to talk or sell anything and hes funny ♥

And as always in KJ Charles book the historic setting is really good build!
Ellie
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 star

This has been such a fun read!
I'll just leave you this piece of info - The Matrimonial Advertiser which Theo own is the great-great-great-parent of Tinder and Grindr - make what you want of it :)

Full review coming soon

KJ Charles' historical romance are my favourite queer historicals and this one easily joins their ranks. It's impeccably written, engaging and so much fun. This is a kind of road trip story in the chase of a runaway bride where two unlikely people fall in lust-love.

This Ge
Adam

As always, KJ Charles crafts well-rounded and compelling MCs. Both Martin and Theo have their hang-ups, but want something more from life and are willing to put in the effort to make things work.

The relationship development was fairly smooth and not particularly angsty. Martin and Theo fit together well. Martin finds it easy to share the parts of his history that he would rather not dwell on, and Theo finds in Martin the acceptance and encouragement that he never got from his family.

I a
Viv
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoopla
Wow! I have loved every KJ Charles' book written and this one was no exception. This book had everything! Suspense, humor, romance. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I could not put it down. It is just so cleverly written and I highly recommend it!
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Dαɴιjα
description

... and KJ Charles is one of my favorite authors, so -- and I'm sure I've said this before -- any time I get my hands on one of her new books, I'm a happy camper. That's why I feel terrible it took me this long to sit down and write my review. Real life got in the way of talking about fictional worlds, but still I feel like I've been a bad fan.

KJ Charles's books made me fall in love with M/M historicals, and Wanted, A Gentleman falls in that category. It's a historical novella set in London at t
Ije the Devourer of Books
Another entertaining historical mm story from KJ Charles!

Martin St Vincent is a freed slave. He has done well for himself and lives a comfortable life in London. He keeps his desires secret and he keeps his anger at slavery secret as well. He channels his anger and his life into his businesses and into helping others who haven't been as fortunate as him.

Theodore Swann is enslaved to the mistakes of his youth. He gets through life using his writing and through the Marriage Advertiser which is the
Joyfully Jay
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jay
Updated for audiobook review:
Read Sue’s audio review in its entirety here.

A Joyfully Jay review.

Ok, I’ll admit this story had me wary from the start because of that blurb. Because honestly, it took me a while to even understand it. Some folks might find it clever, but for me, it’s convoluted structure was kind of a turn off. So I mostly picked this up because I love K.J. Charles, more than because the book itself appealed to me. But I am really glad I took a chance here because I foun
Alisa

I committed the cardinal reviewer sin with this. I read it and didn't write my review right away. While I enjoyed this, I didn't love it like I usually do this author's work. I couldn't quite put my finger on why so I decided to think about it. And.....here we are two months later and I still don't know. I do know that I couldn't remember hardly anything about the plot and had to read a few other reviews to jog my memory. That's not really a great thing when I can't remember. It means a
LenaLena
Wanted, A Gentleman is based on an excellent premise that could have used more. More length, more detail, more depth, more to sink my teeth in. It is an excellent novella that should have been a novel.

Why is it not a novel?

They should have dragged that journey out for at least a week. Perfectly doable at 14 miles per hour, if you ask me. It would have given us time to develop that relationship at a pace that didn't seem overly quick and given us time to delve into their characters more. This n
The Backlot Gay B...: Wanted: A Gentleman, by K.J. Charles 1 9 May 18, 2018 06:43AM

• The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Another Place in Time
  • Dangerous Spirits (Spirits #2)
  • Seven Summer Nights
  • Eleventh Hour (The Carstairs Affairs, #1)
I'm a writer of romance, mostly m/m, often historical or fantasy or both.

I'm also a freelance editor, and I blog about writing and editing at kjcharleswriter.com.

I live in London, UK, with husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Follow me on Twitter @kj_charles or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/kj.charles.9

Wanted (2 books)
  • Wanted, an Author
“His shirtsleeves were rolled up against the heat, baring forearms that Theo wanted, suddenly and urgently, to squeeze between his thighs.” 1 likes