Start by marking “The Dog Who Lost His Bark” as Want to Read:

The Dog Who Lost His Bark

A warm, uplifting story about a boy, his dog, and the healing power of music marks a first-time collaboration between two former Irish Children's Laureates, Eoin Colfer and P.J. Lynch.

Patrick has been desperate for a dog of his own for as long as he can remember, and this summer, with his father away, he longs for a canine friend more than ever. Meanwhile, in his short dog
Published September 10th 2019 by Candlewick Press (first published October 4th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Lost His Bark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Who Lost His Bark

Whispering Stories
This is a poignant story of a little dog and a young boy who both become firm friends and both learn to trust one another and battle their loneliness together.

Oz, the little puppy has not had an easy life up to now, in fact, the people he has known have all been horrible. From the man who bred him and his siblings to the lady and her husband who bought him as a Christmas Present for their horrid son. When they couldn’t control him the man took him far away and dumped him. It was at this horrid h
Figgy
Proper review to come, but in the meantime...

As a dog owner, I was completely invested in this story, despite the writing and themes making it a little difficult to work out who the target market was. This little dog totally won me over.

But it was about the time that the dog started being able to whine or howl songs back to Patrick after the boy played them on his violin that credulity began to stretch... and then the story just kept pushing this musical-prodigy-dog angle.

Eventually this settled
Bertha
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Dog Who Lost His Bark is a story of animal abuse and how a young boy overcomes his own problems to help his new adopted dog learn to trust humans and get his bark back.
The book is hard to read in the beginning chapters due to the abuse but as you read on it gets easier to read. The book is geared for ages 7-10 but I'm not sure if it will be suited to that age group due to the subject matter. The book was very well written and the illustrations added warmth to the story.
Bex
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Don't worry, she said, Someday your boy or girl will come. A human who is right for you. And that human will take you to the wonderful outside. That is the best thing for a dog".

This short novel has beautiful hand-drawn illustrations of a puppy being sold to a new home and ugly human characters who abuse him. It's also about Patrick, a little boy who really DOES want a dog for all the right reasons and who is the perfect fit for this one.

The illustrations convey the story almost as well as the
Christine Airey
I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book so I could give an honest review.

I have been a fan of Eoin Colfer since 2001 when the first Artemis Fowl book, Artemis Fowl, was published. I had to jump at the chance to read his latest book, The Dog Who Lost His Bark.

The Dog Who Lost His Bark is a moving and uplifting story about a boy, a dog, and music's ability to heal and connect people. I used to work with first-grade students and they would thoroughly enjoy this story. As with any boo
Jade Melody
Rated: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review.
Expected Release: September 10th 2019

This review isn't going to be super long or anything because this is a book I don't really have a lot to say about. That isn't a bad thing at all! Sometimes books just evoke emotions but there isn't much to say about that besides sharing what emotions it made you feel.

The beginning of this book was really sad. It featured animal abuse and the thoughts of the dog that was abused. I love do
Katy Noyes
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving dog story for children.

I've loved The Art of Racing in the Rain, Andy Mulligan's Dog, multiple Morpurgo dog stories. They touch a nerve, the vulnerability and unceasing love of a dog for a human.

Colfer brings a sad tale that is ultimately reviving to a young audience, with some quite difficult detail early on (abused and maltreated dog) who gets a chance to recover with a loving owner.

Patrick is missing his dad, away working, but while he's not there, he gets the chance to own the dog hi
Brona's Books
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was little, my mum had to ban me from watching Kimba the White Lion and Lassie as I used to get too upset whenever Kimba or Lassie got lost, scared or in trouble (which seemed to happen every episode!) Even now, I struggle with books or movies that feature animal violence or cruelty in any way (The Lion King makes me blubber every time).

So the first two chapters of The Dog Who Lost His Bark were very tough going for me. P. J. Lynch's sweet black and white illustrations helped me keep goin
Becky
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
There is a lesson that can be taught from pets, or many lessons really. This is a story about a dog who has been mistreated and has to go through a bit of a journey to “find his bark”. But this is more than a story about that dogs journey to find his boy, it’s about proper care, treatment, time and commitment that pets require, family, separated/divorced parents, starting over, trust, perseverance and friendship. The boy goes through a stage of “losing his bark” and his mom and the dog together ...more
Morag
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Heartwarming' and 'poignant' are words on the cover to describe this. True, but there's a big old wallop of sadness and upset to contend with as well! Read with my dog-loving 6yo and lots went a bit over her head. Older readers might think it was too young for them based on title/cover? Enjoyable for the holidays when feeling a bit soppy anyway!
Beth
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: junior-fiction
A heartwarming and touching children’s book about the friendship between a scared puppy and a lonely boy. Deals with mature themes of divorce and animal abuse in a child friendly/simple way. Made me tear up on multiple occasions. I received this as an arc from NetGalley.
Priya Bhowal
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story is so touching and pleasing. Loved the illustrations. Oz is so cute. The story is a cute and heart warming as the illustrations are. Ideal for children aged 5-7. Can be read as bedtime story to younger children.
Kimberly Bower MLIS (gladeslibrarian)
This was a sad tale which began from the dog's POV as an abused puppy. The boy in the family who finally rescued him discovered his dad wasn't coming back home so he was also in a sad state. Story ended without a clear direction for the boy to take in his life. As far a writing mechanics, there were random words in ALL CAPS throughout the story. This might be confusing to young readers.
Angela
This is the story of a dog who is mistreated and becomes so scared, he doesn't bark, and the story of the boy who adopts him and helps him get his bark back. It's also the story of their relationship and how the dog helps the boy when he finds his dad is leaving the family for a new one.

It's a very simple story, but would be ok for ages 7+, particularly animal-lovers (sensitive children might get a bit upset over the mistreatment of the dog at the start, but it does show the other side of a boy
Karen Arendt
Jill
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
While I've not read anything previously by Eoin Colfer, I am familiar with his works so this book for younger readers was a bit of a surprise to me. I was more familiar with P. J. Lynch as the illustrator of one of my favorite Christmas books. The cover alone is enough to enchant youngsters.

And then I opened the book and was immediately ANNOYED that random words were in CAPITAL letters. I was not SURE if this was just a technique to INDICATE that it was the dog talking? Or was it JUST to try to
Denise Riehle
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dog Who Lost His Bark is an engaging book for children and adults alike. Written by Eoin Colfer and illustrated by P.J. Lynch the story unfolds as it covers some big issues, issues both dog related and people related. I really like the way that the book makes use of how dogs understand the words that they hear humans say. The book has used capitalization of key words, just like dogs process what we say to them. During his first experience with a family, he hears the same word over and over, ...more
Pat
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit, novel, art
This is a heartwarming tale of a boy and his dog that deals gently but realistically with some serious issues. An illustrated chapter book that is perfectly written for tweens.

Most of the book focuses on how Patrick saves and heals his fearful little puppy, Oz. But in the end, loving little Oz ends up saving a very sad, confused and grieving Patrick.

It starts with animal abuse & neglect first by the dog breeder and then the irresponsible family who first adopted him… and later threw this l
Rose
At first glance, I have to say what first caught my attention on this book was the beautifully illustrated cover. Inside the book, the rest of the illustrations by P.J. Lynch are wonderfully done in pencil sketch and match perfectly with the story.

This story features Oz the puppy who has lost his bark due to traumatic experiences from his previous owners. Oz has been abused first by his original owner and then adopted out only to be abused again by his adopted owners. Oz is found in an abandoned
Pammycats
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Written By: Erin Colfer
Illustrated by: P.J. Lynch

I received a free ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Okay, now that I have stopped sobbing I can review this book. Not just watery eyes but the whole rainstorm. And before you mention kids, I’m even worse where books have children being hurt in any way. I can’t even read Murder on the Orient Express because of little Daisy Armstrong. My DH always reminds me that these characters aren’t real. However, we all
Caitlin
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I couldn’t bear to read the first two chapters of this book - it took two tries to get through them, and I almost considered not picking it up again because the abuse against this poor puppy by such hideous people was too hard to read, but I also couldn’t bear leaving the puppy in that situation - I had to see him get out of it (I also would have liked to see that abusive family destroyed, but you can’t have everything).

I cried when Patrick found him at the shelter, and when he was determined to
Abigail
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Eoin Colfer and/or P.J. Lynch Fans / Beginning Chapter-Book Readers Who Enjoy Animal Fiction
Abused and mistreated by humans as a young puppy, Dog retreats into himself, refusing to bark, or to engage with the people around him. Missing his musician father, who is away in Australia, Patrick is excited to be allowed to bring a puppy home from the animal shelter. This brief novella from author Eoin Colfer and illustrator P.J. Lynch, who have both served as Ireland's Laureate na nÓg (Children's Laureate), alternates between the perspective of Dog (renamed Oz), who must learn to trust again ...more
Sandra
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a well written book about a young boy and his first dog. I totally enjoyed the beautiful illustrations by P.J. Lynch. I must admit I wanted to be fair in my review, so I read through the story twice. I am not sure what age group this story is targeted for. I found it quit dark and sad to be for younger children. It is true there are way too many dogs mistreated and too much divorce and desertion, like Patrick's dad. But I found the book heart-wrenching not heartwarming. On the positive s ...more
Rosemary
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A puppy is taken from his mother, purchased as a birthday gift for a cruel boy from his equally cruel parents. Abandoned at a dump, wrapped in linoleum tile, he is rescued, and chosen by another boy - a boy named Patrick. But Oz, as Patrick names the pup, is afraid of humans. He's never met a kind one, and he doesn't want to be hurt again. Patrick, ever patient, sits with Oz, talks to Oz, and waits for Oz to warm up to him. But Patrick's life is about to undergo upheaval, too: his parents are sp ...more
Ms. Yingling
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Public Library Copy

A small dog is adopted by a family and given to a young boy for Christmas, but things do not go well. The father is rough and mean, and the boy doesn't take to the dog and doesn't treat him well, so the dog eventually ends up in a shelter. When Patrick and his mother and grandfather show up looking for a dog to adopt, the man at the shelter says that this dog requires a lot of care, but Patrick is sure that Oz (as he names the dog) is meant for him. Oz won't bark, and is very
Sarah Fairbairn
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dog Who Lost His Bark is a heart wrenching yet heartwarming tale that touches on animal abuse, the wonderful work rescue shelters do, marriage separation and the power of music. Yeah that does sound like a lot to be crammed in 149 pages, but Colfer’s story flows beautifully and accompanied by Lynch’s illustrations this really is a masterpiece.

Firstly we meet Oz as a little no name pup, see him go onto to his first home, be abused, then dumped.

Secondly we meet the boy, Patrick, going of to sp
Ije the Devourer of Books
This is a beautiful children's story about loss, love and healing. Oz is a puppy who has learnt not to bark. His first home was one of fear and hostility but now he lives very quietly in a rescue shelter.

Patrick is visiting his grandfather whilst his dad is away in Australia. He misses his dad and the things they would have done over the summer. Patrick is surprised and delighted when his mother buys him a dog because his dad is allergic to dogs. This dog is special because it doesn't bark and
WhatBookNext .com
When Patrick is told he can choose a puppy from the Animal Shelter, he can hardly believe it. His Dad is highly allergic to dogs, but is away in Australia performing in his band. Too excited to think about that, he adopts a puppy he names Oz.

As soon as he saw Oz, Patrick knew he was the one, but Oz has had a rough life so far. The staff at the Animal Shelter explain that Oz was mistreated and is very timid. He’s so scared of everything around him, he’s even lost his bark.

Patrick’s goal is to hel
Tracy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Warning! This is a book about a dog...there is sadness, BUT the dog lives.

I received this book from the summer ALA conference.

Dog has been mistreated since he was a puppy. His mother once told him that one day he would have a boy or girl of his own that would do wonderfully nice things for him and take him outside, however, the people that take him away from his mother are anything but nice. He is yelled at, hardly fed and poked. Finally his new owners take him to a trash dump and leave him the
Psusan
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The description of The Dog Who Lost His Bark by Eoin Colfer stated that it was, “A warm, uplifting story about a boy, his dog, and the healing power of music…” Perhaps it is in the end but it does have a dark beginning as Oz begins his life. Patrick also has some struggles going on in his life too. I was surprised by this but on thinking that Artemis Fowl series is the most familiar works by Eoin Colfer I really shouldn’t have been. That series has some dark shades to it too. This could bother a ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A