Start by marking “Batman and the Justice League Manga Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Batman and the Justice League Manga Vol. 1

Batman and the Justice League Manga Vol. 1

(Batman and the Justice League Manga #1)

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and the rest of the Justice League begin a new mission in these manga tales newly translated for an American audience in Batman & The Justice League Vol. 1!

A young boy from Japan travels to Gotham City on a mission. A year before, his two parents--both scientists--were presumably killed in an expolosion that destroyed an experimental powe
Published October 23rd 2018 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman and the Justice League Manga Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman and the Justice League Manga Vol. 1

Sam Quixote
Oct 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
A Japanese ninja kid goes to Gotham to investigate his parents’ deaths a year after they supposedly perished in a factory explosion (I’m guessing they shockingly somehow survived). Meanwhile Joker’s begun marketing an energy drink called Gaia Juice that turns the drinker mean - ooo, what a naughty ickle boy! Batman’s gotta etc.

Shiori Teshirogi’s Batman and the Justice League collects the first four chapters from the ongoing series appearing in the monthly Japanese magazine Red. And it’s terrible
Chad
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
A lot of people are going to like this solely because it was a Batman Manga, but the story was a bunch of nonsense. The Joker was selling an energy drink that made drinkers crazy which somehow allowed the Joker to somehow control ley lines. Lex Luthor is somehow involved in this too. And now Superman has ley line magic vision. Mixing magic in with these characters just doesn't work without any of DC's magic-based characters to be a gateway into that part of the DC universe. One of Superman's big ...more
L. McCoy
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like both Batman and manga
DC published a manga rendition of their superheroes. Yep, no way I wasn’t gonna check this out.

What’s it about?
A kid from Japan goes to Gotham looking for his missing parents. At the same time, Joker has made a beverage that is making people smiley and psychotic like him. Both of these stories connect and things get crazy.

Pros:
The characters are well done. The Japanese kid is interesting, I think there’s more to him than what is revealed in this volume. The manga renditions of the other Batman c
Cyndi
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young boy travels to Gotham City to find out what happened to his parents. Although he is a good fighter and a fighter for good, he doesn’t like violence.
Meanwhile Lex Luthor and the Joker ban together to use the ley lines to get more power. This brings Superman and Batman together to fight their evil. The rest of the Justice League will probably be needed.
The book is written in the manga format but sometimes the panels left the format and become difficult to follow. I’m sure the author wi
Veronica
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
ARC via Netgalley. I'm not quite sure what audience DC is hoping will read this, but as a person who reads both manga and DC comics, I didn't find it particularly engaging. I think it's possible that it would work as a gateway into American comics for manga fans (which seems like its original intent in the Japanese) as it does introduce the characters and concepts without any expectation of background knowledge. The plot follows Rui Amamiya, a Japanese boy with unknown supernatural powers who ha ...more
Robert
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
It's more Manga than mainstream, and the mystical elements are ill-suited for the chosen villains, but the story itself is enjoyable.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Justice League done in a manga style? Yes, please!
A young boy from Japan comes to Gotham City looking for his missing parents, and becomes the unwitting victim of a devious plot involving the Joker. Only Batman and the Justice League can solve the mysteries of the boy's missing parents, and the enigmatic power leaking from magical ley lines around the globe.

I enjoyed reading this manga of the Justice League!
However, I didn't like some of the characters. Batman has never been my favorite, and I
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 Stars.

Review to follow
Jordanne
A DC-Manga Gateway For Young Readers

Not a great deal stuck with me following my finishing of this one. I was originally quite excited by the idea of the Justice League interpreted in the manga style, after all, Marvel’s Manga-verse went down pretty well within my purview, however, I was somewhat let down. I liked the artwork even if I thought the characters themselves looked … strange, in this style.

The story was fairly basic and easy to follow and I liked that it was told from a young person’s
Hannah (TheRainyReader)
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
3/5 stars.
Considering this world and the characters coming from this world are coming from an american comics format transforming into manga is quite a different approach. I liked the art style for the most part but, there were a few hiccups here and there they I felt pulled me out of the story, I think my bias was from not seeing these characters portrayed in this style before but it was well done.
The story line we follow merg
Sesana
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
A manga take on the Justice League but mostly, as the title implies, Batman. And honestly, it's better than I'd expected. The art is solid, and the way the established characters are written tracks. The new guy, who is, of course, Japanese, is a nice enough kid, even if he's bizarrely sort of a ninja for some reason? But the story itself is jumbled nonsense. Ley lines? That Superman can see? Gaia juice? It just doesn't make much sense, and it really doesn't feel like it suits the Justice League.
Nikki
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, blog, 2018
THIS REVIEW & MORE → SYNOPSES BY SARGE

I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this manga! It was really cool because the American comics are not in manga format, so this was a nice experience. I feel like I’ve been hitting a rough patch lately, so this was a welcomed change. The storyline was great! I also enjoyed that the focus was mainly on Batman and the introduction of Riu.

As the story developed, we see tension brewing between the Joker and L
Jeremy
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid start that sets up some future story threads with potential. I hope the other members of the justice League play a bigger part in the next part.
Starla Nichols
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I received this as an ARC through NetGalley. My opinions are all my own and are not influenced in anyway*

I loved this American Manga version.
I do not read comics/graphic novels/manga regularly but I am trying to "catch up" on it all since our Teen Population here at my work place LOVE manga. The Artwork was amazing. Again, I am not fully versed in the various types etc, so I don't have the educated mindset on the topic to completely judge it "accurately" .
The story-line flowed well, the sketch-
Diane Hernandez
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Batman and the Justice League Vol 1 has Batman, Superman, the Joker and Lex Luthor set in a Japanese manga-style plot.

A young Japanese man, Rui, goes to Gotham City to find his missing parents. His cab driver, in a VW bug (?), warns him of the city’s high crime rate and drops him off at the edge of the city. When beset with corrupt police, Rui uses his ninja-like skills to defend himself but refuses to kill. Batman rescues him. Commissioner Gordon tells Rui to leave town but he refuses. Run-ins
Tony
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Net Galley and DC Comics for the ARC. Honestly, this is just what DC comics needs. There are so many books that are just a bit too dark to hand to a 12 year old any more. Yes, this book has danger. Yes, the Joker blows people up. Yes, someone dies, but because of Teshirogi's artwork, the threat is a bit less overwhelming. The narrator is a boy called Rui, who also takes the edge off. He literally gets in the middle of a super villain fight. He is a great hero for a great book. I wish I ...more
Bruce
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Batman & The Justice League Vol.. 1, by Shiori Teshirogi, is a manga graphic novel starring Batman, Superman, the Joker, Lex Luthor, and Rui, a Japanese boy in search of his parents who disappeared in Gotham City under mysterious circumstances. He encounters dangerous situations and is helped by the Justice League members.
I found this to be an interesting story to move into the world of Manga, and introducing a Japanese character was a great way to do it. The reader should also understand th
Meghan
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy due to the curiosity I had for my patrons responding to a DC Comic/Manga twist. A first I found some of the illustrations on the creepy side but as I read on, I saw how they all tied in together and the story made sense. The story was ok, kind of on the predictable side and when the story was about to reveal what happens, it went in a completely different direction. The drawings were beautifully executed however, I wish there was some color that ...more
Adriana
It's an interesting mix of two worlds.
Teshirogi has a very unique art style that merges classic shonen elements with a slightly shojo style, i.e. masculine poses and paneling with femenine aesthetics. This works surprisingly well with the kind of story she's telling.
It's a classic Batman vs Joker tale with arresting fantasy twists and the added bonus of the rest of the Justice League showing up to up the ante.
Marie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Batman and Japanese Manga? Yes, please. A young Japanese boy comes to Gotham City to find his parents whom are presumed dead. He meets the bad guys and fights them off. Then Batman and the Justice League step in. Loved the Justice League with Batman.. The graphics rock and I loved the story.I received this book from Net Galley and DC Entertainment for a honest review and no compensation otherwise.
Nathaniel Darkish
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really didn't care for this. I was hoping that a manga version of the DC universe would be a lot of fun, but instead it just felt really weird, with ideas that felt very incompatible with DC. For example, the story is still set in the US, but it feels like everything is strangely bent around the viewpoint character, a Japanese young man who (of course) has crazy ninja abilities. Every American character suddenly (and without any explanation) knows a great deal about Japanese culture as soon as ...more
Wayne McCoy
'Batman and the Justice League Vol. 1' by Shiori Teshirogi is a manga take on DC comics that's been translated for American audiences from it's original publication in Red magazine.

A young boy from Japan who has missing parents follows the trail to Gotham city. After a nasty run in with Gotham police who have been "jokerized," he is rescued by Batman. Batman knows a thing about not having parents, so he takes an interest in the boy. A bigger plot is uncovered involving a new beverage that the Jo
mtblackbear
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa, owned
This first volume didn't have anything especially outstanding about it, but I still found it an overall entertaining read. As someone who reads both manga and Western comics, it was interesting seeing the DC characters being reimagined in a different art style.

My biggest nitpick is about the villains' plot, which was kind of convoluted. (view spoiler)
Chelsea Gouin
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This is self-insert fanfiction at its finest. Rui comes to Gotham from Japan, searching for answers on his parents who mysteriously disappeared after an accident in a lab explosion. Joker may be behind it, teaming up with Lex Luthor to create a "Gaia Juice" that's infecting the citizens of Gotham. Bruce Wayne/Batman is struggling with the recent loss of his ward and sidekick when he meets Rui a strange young lad with ninja skills.
The Justice League really isn't a part of this first volume other
Jaime Guzman
Nov 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Adam Fisher
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Not sure I'm going to continue with this title, but that doesn't mean it was bad. Actually, I rather like how the Justice League members look expressed in traditional manga art. But.... the story felt forced and predictable. I can almost see where this is going already.
I'd recommend for people who are wanting to cross over from manga to DC/Marvel/Image/Etc, or perhaps for younger readers.
Just really not what I was looking for, though not bad.
Recommend if you are younger or not a huge comic rea
Ethan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I picked this up because it combined two things I enjoy: DC superheroes and manga. However, it was a disappointment. The story is basically nonsense (it throws a bunch of ideas at the wall to see what sticks, but nothing really does), there’s a lot of exposition that doesn’t actually explain anything, and the art is weird. Plus, Wonder Woman isn’t actually in it, despite being featured so prominently on the cover, which was disappointing. If/when volume two comes out, I might give this another c ...more
Nicole Westen
I'm interested to see where the manga-ka takes this. She said she's trying to blend manga and american comics in terms of story telling style and art, because a straight up american comic style wouldn't go over well in Japan, but a total manga style wouldn't play to american comic fans either. So far I think the manga-ka is doing a good job.
Neda
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I thought I was prepared to see Justice League combined with manga, but baby-faced Superman has me thrown. I’m interested to see where it goes from here (heck, let’s be honest—I just wanna see a ninja Robin), but Batman matter of factly going along with the mystical plot line is straining my suspension of belief.

Review copy provided via Edelweiss.
Zachary King
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good fun! An offbeat sensibility and some bonkers plot turns add up to a uniquely sideways glance at Gotham and the heroes of the DC Universe. The star of the book is its original POV character, who’s tied to several deep mysteries involving evil villains, mystical energies, and killer colas. I bought this on a lark but can’t wait to read more!

• The Flash: Starting Line (DC Essential Edition)
  • The Terrifics, Vol. 1: Meet the Terrifics
  • Batman, Volume 7: The Wedding
  • Justice League: No Justice
  • The Man of Steel
  • Batman: Preludes to the Wedding
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Batman: White Knight
  • Sasameki Koto, Vol. 1
  • The League of Regrettable Sidekicks: Heroic Helpers from Comic Book History
  • Flying Witch, Vol. 4
  • アゲイン!! 1 (Again!!, #1)
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 1
  • The Dam Keeper: World Without Darkness (Dam Keeper, #2)
  • Waiting for Spring 7 (Waiting for Spring, #7)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 3 [Fumetsu no Anata e 3] (To Your Eternity, #3)
  • Bloom into You, Vol. 4
  • Black AF: America's Sweetheart
Shiori Teshirogi (手代木史織) is a japanese manga artist.

Batman and the Justice League Manga (2 books)
  • Batman and the Justice League Manga Vol. 2