Start by marking “Look Who It Is!: My Story” as Want to Read:
Look Who It Is!: My Story

Look Who It Is!: My Story

The brilliantly funny and inimitable Alan Carr tells his life story in his own words, from growing up in a football-mad family in Northampton to his rise to become one of Britain's best-loved comedians.
Published 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Look Who It Is!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look Who It Is!

Start your review of Look Who It Is!: My Story
Adele McVay
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Working in a hospital means the staff room is full of old Heat, Now and OK magazines... mags I'd rather poke my own eyeballs out with than read! So I was horrified to find I'd forgotten my book and faced 30 minutes of Jordan & Peter or Kerry Katona's thin/Kerry Katona's fat stories. I went to the newsagent on site and it was slim pickings. Michael Jackson has just died, so it was pretty much wall to (off the) wall Michael Biographys, with that rubbish book Twilight which subsequently became ...more
Xanthi
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I dare say that most Australians would not have heard of Alan Carr. I happened upon him by accident online. I saw a few episodes of his show "Chatty Man" and enjoyed it. Usually I find campness to be rather irritating but Alan is genuinely funny. His autobiography is funny, as you would expect, but also rather honest and sobering in regards to his dealing with his sexuality, growing up. He is often self effacing and not afraid to talk about the terrible attack of anxiety he gets before shows. I ...more
Lil's Vintage World
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
A hilarious book with some laugh out loud one liners!
Lainy
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 301

Publisher - Harper Collins

Source - Bought copy

Blurb from Goodreads

My Review

I love Alan Carr, put him on the tele and you are bound to be in stitches, his voice, facial expressions, I could listen to him all day. So when I saw this book years ago I bought it
JK
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't tend to enjoy non-fiction much, and in particular find autobiographies somewhat stale. I'd bought this one years ago, due to a real love for Alan Carr and his comedy. Being the only comedian who can make me cry real tears of laughter was the motivation for buying it, and my utter lack of enthusiasm for autobiographies was my excuse for putting it off until now.

Alan remains unforgivably himself throughout the pages. Autobiographies I've read in the past paint an entirely unrealistic
Jelena Nemet
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, comedy
There were rumours Dame Shirley had demanded more sequins for her dress, so they had sent it back to India to have more sewn on and it was in the process of being flown back first class to Heathrow just in time for the show. Oh the drama! Can you imagine getting them to fly a dress from another continent just for you?
I wouldn't mind, but they looked pissed off when I asked them to get me a cheese baguette and can of Tango, and that was only downstairs.
Gemma
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, comedy
Alan Carr isnt really a man who needs and review you either love or hate him. Written from Alans few this is as funny as you would expect it to be. Light reading for when you need a laugh & have no time for intense concentration.
Ellie
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was excited to read this as I really enjoy Alan Carr's comedy, fortunately this book has the same humour you find in his acts. He writes very much as he speaks, you can almost hear him in your head as you read it. For anyone who likes Alan Carr it's a must read.
Rachel
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
This made me laugh, out loud, on the beach like a loser.
Dawn Probert
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely autobiography. It was a sunny romp through wet and dingy 1980’s summers. Camp and sweet just like Alan himself.
Rebekah May
I tried really hard to finish this but I just can't do it. I quit at page 181. I wanted to finish this because a colleague lent this to me thinking I'd love it and I don't have the heart to tell her how much I hate it, so I wanted to know all the anecdotes so that I can pretend-laugh about stuff with her. But I just can't do it. I thought I'd love this because I like Alan Carr and I laugh all the way through Chatty Man. It started off great but after about 30 pages it went rapidly downhill.

I
John
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiographies
Alison
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I do love Alan Carr but I wasn’t sure I could see him as an author, even of his own autobiography. I picked up Look who it is!: My Story by Alan Carr as I do all autobiographies because I like the person or they interest me.

The book follows Alan’s life as an awkward child to just when his comedy career is really taking off. Of which he is very honest about – which I love.
He shares his school days with a distinctive comic loathing, doesn’t try to hide the fact at all that he was lazy at
Cara Byrne
Alan Carr's autobiography. I have only just recently become a fan of Alan Carr (unfortunately I never delved into the delights of 'Friday Night Project') - nevertheless, I find him extremely funny and was expecting the book to be a 'laugh-a-minute' book. It wasn't but that didn't really spoil things as the whole book was still enjoyable to read.

At the moment, my baby daughter shares our bedroom and bedtime is the only time I get to read....I found it quite impossible at times NOT to laugh out
Mark
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, autobiographies
Not as funny as the likes of Peter Kay's and Michael McIntyre's books but just as informative. I loved reading about how hard it is to break into professional stand up comedy and that if you're not sucesful you could be forever condemend to the likes of the comedy club and jongluers. It was also interesting to read just how uptight a lot of comedians actually are behind the scenes, especially the ones who still haven't made it onto the professional circuit. Also treading about the Edingburgh ...more
Nicolle Kane
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Had one of those days where my brain wouldn't work and my eyes wouldn't work across a page. So picked this up - it had been left in my room by a housemate.

I thought wow I can't believe I'm doing this - I don't particularly like Alan Carr as a comedian (just isn't my kinda comedy). However I must admit I was secretly surprised, while not the nest written autobiography I have read. It was funny, engaging and I find myself liking Alan Carr - just him not his comedy still.

I was thinking when picking
Gill
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'd never seen the Friday Night Project or anything else with Alan Carr, but was dragged to his live show (Tooth Fairy tour) by our nephew. Absolutely brilliant night of comedy ensued and I am now a fan.

With any "celeb" autobiography you probably need to be a fan to pick it up in the first place. Certainly Carr's childhood and upbringing weren't particularly exceptional, nor his time at university and gap year travel. It's not at all introspective, although he writes quite touchingly about
Andrew Chapman
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-bad
A lovely, warm and honest story of Alan Carrs' early days. From unambitious student, through soul destroying call centre jobs to television personality and presenter. This autobiography stops at the point of his first presenting job on the Friday Night Project.
This is the first such book that I have read and I'm now likely to read others. I found it lovely to take a trip down someone's very personal memory lane. I feel honoured that anybody would be willing to share such personal memories at
Sharon
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Story follows Alan's early life up to him getting on the Friday Night Project. Most of it is about him growing up - his football crazy dad, family holidays and uni life. It also charts some of his highs - going travelling - to the lows - demeaning jobs. It then goes onto his first forays into comedy and some really cringe-worthy gigs (including seeing Russell Brand's willy on stage!)But gradually through perseverance and a strong spine he manages to get a name for himself in comedy. Alan ...more
chucklesthescot
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: celebrity gossip fans,anyone who wants a good laugh
This was a fantastic read.I don't watch Alan Carr on TV but I still loved this.Lots of us can relate to being the geeky outsider that nobody liked,stuck in crappy jobs while you dream of stardom and glory,going on holidays from hell and suffering the dodgy stomach that inevitably happens while you are on a long bus trip.I laughed like mad when he talked about trying not to appear gay while working in industrial factories and screwing it up by drooling at a French lorry driver and dancing to YMCA ...more
Lisa Bennett
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
An absolutely brilliant book. Totally hilarious, and such an easy and addictive read. So gutted it just stopped dead at the end, so i'm guessing he'll write a second book at some stage, possible 'Look Who It Still Is?' lol. I totally recommend this book. I LOVE IT! It's been a while since i've read a book, and howled with laughter when I read it. I never thought much of this guy when I first started seeing him on tv, but since he's been on Friday/Sunday Night Project, he's grown on me (and not ...more
Adie
Jul 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book is not, exactly, gripping, nor is it enormously hilarious; at best it’s an easy to read, comical in parts book with no real story line.
I have read a few autobiographies, all of which have been filled with fascinating anecdotes – only people with truly interesting lives should be allowed to write about them otherwise you are left feeling you are talking to a lonely man down the pub, who is boring you about the time he worked in a call centre and everyone did a Mexican wave. Fascinating
Michela
It is really 3 and a half stars. Not 4, because it was very nice but not Ferguson's autobiography-moving. I found it funny and entertaining, I appreciate he told a lot about his not-very-good years and finally the last page was really moving and sweet. I found a lot of things out about good old Alan and the stand-up comedy world that I was not really into before, and maybe I will not be again, but not out of Alan's book (it is simply not my thing for long, I am more a comedy-drama girl myself).
Sian Kerr
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiographies
I was both surprised and disappointed by this book. To begin with I was a little disappoined because I didn't find it as funny as I thought I would. Having read other autobiographies where I found myself laughing out loud frequently, this only happened once or twice during Alan Carr's. I think mainly that's because with some comedians it's the way they tell their jokes, rather than just the words they use. On the other hand, I found it really interesting reading about all the jobs he's had and ...more
Christine Busuttil
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read from a very likeable ,funny, modest man.

The introduction however was dry ,and I was worried I might not get on with it ,however once past this introduction,it flew!
I wonder if it would of been better if he had not bothered with an introduction at all,just start from his childhood memories?

His insight into the world of growing up as an gay adolescent ,working in a call centre,to stand up comedy ,is lighthearted but honest.
Being a stand up comedian is certainly not for the faint
Sofie Roberts
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a truly entertaining look into Alan Carr's life which brought a smile to my face and in some particularly amusing parts, a tear to my eye. As he relives his early life and brings his readers them back with him to explore his journey to becoming a comedian he really doesn't lose sight of the comedy, finding the 'funny' in all situations. This is a really lovely read and a great way to lift your mood. I couldn't recommend this more.
Joolz
Jul 28, 2011 added it
At last, a book by a comedian that actually made me laugh out loud! Gives the background on his childhood and his path to fame, and even though it was sad to read in places, it was also funny in retrospect! At times I was in tears, and struggled to keep my laughter quiet whilst on a train to Manchester. One evening I was in bed reading with my husband asleep next to me, and the whole bed was rocking!
Beverley J Hooper
Best pain relief ever

Read this book over two night whilst suffering from sciatica and arthritis pain where the strong pain relief was inadequate. Laughed so much that time passed so much quicker between doses. Alan Carr got me through a period of time when such brilliant humour was so sorely needed and my spirits lifted. Should be on the NHS prescribed reading list to the raising of spirits and keeping me sane .
Gina
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Audio's the way to go for this, as I would say 75% of Alan Carr's charm is his voice. Loving "Aguffa Christie" is way more fun than loving Agatha Christie. Too late, I realized it was abridged, which has always felt like cheating to me, but really, for a book like this, 4 hours is probably enough. Lots of delightful little stories and an interesting look into the British comedy scene, which has always interested me because it seems so different from the US.
Celeste
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Although I don't normally read biographies, this was a couldn't put down biography. I read it in one day. My boyfriend got so annoyed at the constant laughing that he too read it to see what all the fuss was about. He loved it so much that we had to fight for custody for it after our break up. I won.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Sound of Laughter
  • Life & Laughing: My Story
  • At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints
  • Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian
  • Dear Fatty
  • May I Have Your Attention, Please?
  • Look Back in Hunger
  • Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
  • John Bishop: How Did All This Happen?
  • Camp David
  • So Me
  • The Life of Lee
  • How to be Champion
  • That's Another Story: The Autobiography
Alan Graham Carr is an English comedian and television personality.
“Dad instantly set out his stall:he wanted a big dog, a 'man dog',a dog that if it was human would enjoy a pint and stare at the barmaid's arse” 4 likes
“Because you were wearing a badge, customers assumed you were an oracle.
'What aisle is the desiccated coconut'
'How long do you cook a butternut squash?'
'What would you have with a pan fried red mullet?'
'Where can I find the holy grail?' Enough already! Some people obviously misread the 'Here to help' as 'Hello I'm your bitch!”
0 likes