Start by marking “The Secret Doctrine” as Want to Read:
The Secret Doctrine

The Secret Doctrine

(The Secret Doctrine #1-2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,054 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
A sourcebook of the esoteric tradition, outlining the fundamental tenets of the Secret Doctrine of the Archaic Ages. This title addresses the perennial questions: continuity of life after death, purpose of existence, good and evil, consciousness and substance, sexuality, karma, evolution, and human and planetary transformation.
Published August 1st 1999 by Theosophical University PR (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Doctrine, please sign up.
Jia One of my dear friends looks a lot like her. She is also a reiki master and has so much energy pulsing through her that her hands and feet are…moreOne of my dear friends looks a lot like her. She is also a reiki master and has so much energy pulsing through her that her hands and feet are blistered. I think if Ms Blavatsky has come back to this planet that she may have split and now may embody several people. I get the vibe that my friend may be one of them.(less)

Gregg
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: metaphysics
When I first considered reading the The Secret Doctrine, I thought I had a pretty good back ground in the understanding of esoteric interpretations of nature. I quickly realized that if I read the material at that point, I would only attain a C-average understanding. This for me would be unacceptable. I knew that there would need to be a lot of mental upgrading. I first picked out 10 books that would get me from where I was, to where I needed to be, here are the books in the order that I read th ...more
Bayandur
Oct 06, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, new-age
This book is complete garbage. The author's incompetence is obvious, she just took everything that was known of Eastern religious and philosophic systems in the 19th century Europe, everything the pseudo-intellectual mass wanted to believe, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Anti-Semitic and Aryan ideologies - everything that wanted to be believed and wasn't systematized yet. She spoke of mahatmas from Hinduism, though there are none there: there are Wise Men - the Rishi, but their role is different ...more
AirWind
Apr 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must reference book for serious seekers and researchers of esoteric philosophies and modern occultism! Not necessarily an easy read. HP Blavatsky's writing style was a bit crude as her native language is not English. But the ideas presented, I believe, formed the basis of the modern occult movement - both eastern and western. I started reading this one when I was still in senior high school and finally "finished" reading it a few years back. Its like it took me 15 years to read it! :) But Im n ...more
Andrew Hennessey
Jul 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was in volume 3 of the secret doctrine that I found the issues that 1930's nazi Germany found pleasing in Blavatskys work .. in the chapter on Root Races ... but volume 1 still remains an important and very ancient contribution to 21st Century chaos theory [logos-outpouring-vehicles:] - the suppressed law of emergence written up in Hindu terminology
Michael Riedyk
Jul 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Poorly written junk. Mrs. Blavatsky (who later in life turned out to be a fraud) mixed concepts of different religions and added a massive amount of fantasy resulting in a book that has NOTHING to do with reality, truth, philosophy or spirituality (unless you missed the last 100 years in science and philosophy). It does not contain any valuable life lesson. Don't waste your time on this.
A.
Apr 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Here lies one of the biggest roots of modern syncretism, "new-age" and pseudo-spirituality. A real malignent tumor.
René Guénon swept the floor pretty well with all this business indeed with his Theosophy: History of a Pseudo-Religion and The Spiritist Fallacy. Both books are a must.

Quotes from the Guénon book :
"‘Our goal,’ as Mme Blavatsky used to say, ‘is not to restore Hinduism, but to sweep Christianity from the surface of the earth .’" - Declaration made by Alfred Alexander and published in
Van Derek
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Compulsory reading for theosophists or anyone interested in esoteric philosophy or spiritualism. Theosophical thinking has changed the direction of many lives including the poet William Butler Yeats. This is a highly creative work of spiritualism, to be absorbed and IMHO not to be taken too literally.
Sally
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theosophy
Brings together a great deal of mythological, 19th-century scientific, and religious material to show the unity behind human traditions throughout time and culture. Principles are universal, whatever one may think of the details.
Tamara
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolute must for any Theosophy scholar or mystic.
Vlad Popescu
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-path
Fara Doamna Blavatsky, fara aceasta carte in special, probabil ca occidentul ar fi fost mult mai rudimentar din punct de vedere spiritual. Indiferent ce am fi adus din orient.
Glenn Horne
Sep 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Profoundly interesting, poorly written
Tyler Murset
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This mostly went over my head, but what I understood I liked.
Patrick Chouinard
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best introduction to The Secret Doctrine : http://theosophy.katinkahesselink.net...

Best introduction to Madame Blavatsky:
The Inscrutable Madame Blavatsky: An Interview with Gary Lachman
Jean
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Madame Blavatsky was a very learned woman from her time, and did a lot to identify the root races and other metaphysical topics. I had already read part of this years ago, and it is worth the read if you have an open mind and believe that all religions are the same and have a core tenet of love.
Fostergrants
Oct 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
i liked this for what i learned about so many alternative belief systems. this woman has a complicated brain! if you don't stop reading once in a while to go for a walk or get some fresh air you will fry quickly.
Nicholas
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The better edition for having a huge separate index/bibliography volume, plus many corrections, notes and Introduction by the editor Boris de Zirkoff.
Robert Ingram
May 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Blavatskys mind vomited. For almost an instant, I believed I could feel the earth vibrating. It's a good thing I was stoned at the time, or I might have believed it.
Steven
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book defined the modern esoteric tradition. Straight from the sane/insane Source of All.
Zenjulon Girtzel
Aug 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
nooooonsense!!!
Grace Zales
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Light reading, interesting for a gullible reader. Not for an skeptical person. A part history of magic collection do.
Betsy
Nov 30, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: history
allegedly part of basis for 3rd Reich's rationale for Aryan race, according to natgeotv.com program called Hitler and the Occult
AirWind
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Chris
Sep 13, 2017 added it
For quite some time I've intended to read Blavatsky since she is referenced as the origin of modern occultism and, especially, a source of inspiration for nazi occultism. In plain italian this reading experience was completamente bullshitalamente.

Her style is meandering and there are heaps of repetions. She intentfully obscures the content by jumbling spiritual terminology from all major religions (mainly buddhism judaism christianity and ancient egyptian religions).

That nazis managed to squee
Steven
Aug 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is complete rubbish!

If you are seeking mysteries to be explained, please read...
1.) Manly Palmer Hall's: "The Secret Teachings of All Ages" [Reader's Edition].
2.)Harold Bailey's 1955 2-volume work: "The Lost Language of Symbolism."

Do not waste your time on Blavatsky. She speaks in circles because she does not intend to de-mystify, only to further mystify (a.k.a. speculate) to the reader.
Russ Nelson
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An in-depth presentation of the Theosophical tenets. The Secret Doctrine covers science, religion, and philosophy relating to the origin of the universe and man.
Denis Donnelly
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Hard work!
Karen
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty much everything New Age is just versions of this theory. This is one of the most amazing treasures, if you don't mind a long book.
Pitchayapa Apithamsoontorn
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Special thank to Johnny Marr for recommending me this, but I guess occultism will never be my thing. I find it almost unfathomable in many aspects. 😂
Teza
Feb 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
@Bayandu and others who are smart and enlightened enough to discern the difference between true genius and absurdity. Kudos to you and thanks for your insightful and honest opinions! The author of these writings was indeed either a disillusioned racist, a fraudulent racist...or both. Also, if her English was so poor that she could not even read and write properly in English, then how can we be for certain know much of the missing gaps in the stories, facts, messages, practices etc she collected ...more
Alan Willis
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Five-stars if it weren't so long-drawn and complexified, however, the knowledge and things learnt from Madame Blavatsky's epic book is time well-invested. Profound insights and some personal first-time experiences are vividly imprinted in my memory.
Wouldn't recommend this to people who are new to esoteric doctrines, or philosophy, however, even reading segments of this book gradually can broaden your sphere of possibility. Helena Blavatsky modus operandi modus operandi shares Theosophical philo
Magick and Occult...: Secret Doctrine 10 10 May 17, 2015 07:10PM
  • The Secret Teachings of All Ages
  • The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • Book 4
  • The Chakras (Quest Book)
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • A Treatise on White Magic: The Way of the Disciple
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema
  • Sefer Yetzirah: The Book of Creation: In Theory and Practice
  • Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • Corpus Hermeticum
Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, (Russian: Елена Блаватская, also known as Madame Blavatsky, was a founder of the Theosophical Society and a major figure in modern occultism.

The Secret Doctrine (3 books)
  • The Secret Doctrine: Vol 1
  • The Secret Doctrine, Vol. 2 of 2: The Synthesis of Science, Religion, and Philosophy (Forgotten Books)
“When there were no churches, no creeds or sects, but when every man was a priest unto himself” 6 likes
“Error runs down an inclined plane, while Truth has to laboriously climb its way up hill.” 4 likes