Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us

The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us

(The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) #2)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  34,365 ratings  ·  1,539 reviews
An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living. This volume follows our band of survivors on their tragic journey in search of ...more
Published April 21st 2009 by Image Comics (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 02, please sign up.
RosemareeAnn How are you on the second volume if you couldn't figure out the first one?

·  34,365 ratings  ·  1,539 reviews

Start your review of The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us
Stephen
NEWSFLASH #1 There are A LOT of books about zombies.
NEWSFLASH #2 There are A LOT of books about zombies sporting whole bags full of suck.
NEWSFLASH #3 This graphic novel (what we superhero nerds call comics to sound less spandexy) is completely devoid of suck and is among the best written, most intelligent zombie stories ever.
NEWSFLASH #4 I really, really like it.

Its a pretty basic set-up. Some mysterio plague-like phenom has caused zombieitis to break out and turn most of the world into
Alejandro
The Walking Dead continues!

This is the second volume of the softcover editions of "The Walking Dead", collecting the comic book issues from #7 to #12.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

Chapter Two

MILES BEHIND US

Okay... What the hell are we going to do now?

The body count started on the first chapter making them to realize that ANYBODY may be the next one to fall, no character is truly safe here.

No one is safe in
Delee

This one starts during the holiday season. How fitting. There is nothing like people being killed by zombies, to put one in the Christmas spirit. :)

Meeeeeeeerry Christmas!!!
Sean Barrs The Ultra Vegan
Insanity is clearly going to be a major theme through this story. I really like the way everyones stability is being tested. These graphic novels arent just a simple zombie beat down, theyre that too, but the real story is with the characters; its about how they learn to carry on and cope with their probable deaths at the hands of a pack of hungry zombies.

description

Simply put, those that are weak will not survive. Only those that are willing to let go of the past, and live in the new world, have any
Tina Haigler
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Oh my goodness, so much happens in this! Lots of new characters, lots of death, some close calls, and a big reveal, make this a very crazy ride. Again, you never know who will die, who will hook up, or who will make alliances. Every one is just trying to survive, but throwing so many new people in the mix, especially people who are related, makes for a whole new dynamic. I still hate Rick's wife. That's only getting worse, in all honesty, but I do love Rick and his son. The other characters are ...more
Sara
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as the first comic, this is fast paced, tense and filled with drama. Again, its the social commentary on an apocalyptic world that elevates this above normal zombie fodder, with morally ambiguous characters that play fast and loose with life and death. In this instalment we see deaths, and also the introduction of some great characters - including Hershel, Maggie and co. on the farm. The action doesnt drop at all, with weeks sometimes passing in a single frame as we follow the group ...more
Jessica
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, really good! I still think these comics are much better than the show... I didn't like the artwork as much in this one, however? Is this a new Illustrator? Excited to continue on and read more!
Meredith Holley
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Second City
Recommended to Meredith by: Katie
BANG! POW! SHAZAM! Who wants a gun?

We do!

Youre babies and convicted felons!

We dont care! There are zombies! We need to kill humans!

Wait, but you said the guns were for the zom . . . Oh, whatever, okay, here are your guns. BUT WHATEVER YOU DO DONT TAKE THEM OUT OF YOUR HOLSTERS!

(scene)

(people make chagrinned faces.)

(zombies say, Gar.)

Not that you would know what to say anyway, but Im going to make a long speech about feelings right now, so dont interrupt me because were all old men here,
Laurie –A Court of Books–
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I liked this comic less than the first one. The thing is that I can't stop myself from comparing it to the TV show and it didn't live up to my expectations. There will be spoilers of both the TV show and the comics below.

What disappointed me the most during my reading is the relationship between the characters. It felt either botched or false. I couldn't connect to the couples, not to the new ones, nor to those that are actually developed in the TV show.

* Andrea / Dale *
Brad
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bronte & Ceridwen & Amber
I admit it: some of Robert Kirkman's dialogue is crap.

I admit it: The Walking Dead descends into cheesy soap territory from time to time.

I admit it: some of Chris Adlard's art seems sloppy and rushed.

I admit it: the AMC series adapting this into something even better than its source material.

I admit it: I am a massive geek.

BUT ...

Every once in a while Kirkman hits a patch of dialogue, almost always at a critical character moment, that rings emotionally pitch perfect. Take this moment between
[Shai] Bibliophage
Still haven't got the chance to watch the TV adaptation of this comics series but based from several reviews, the comic version is much better. So, I'm trying to read this series because I don't want to set my expectations in the TV series.

Rick and his pack continues to find a safe shelter in this volume. It's understandable that they were just trying to make their shelter safe. However, there are several instances, notably in the old penitentiary, that they were trying to take over the area. I
B Schrodinger
Volume 1 finished with the gang leaving their campsite outside Atlanta following the showdown between Rick and his police partner Shane and Carl, Rick's son. Only two made it out alive. This, the oncoming winter and the realisation that civilisation is not going to just going to reboot itself.

So off they all go in the RV, the stinky overfilled beat-up RV. But it's reliable.

There are two story lines here. One where they come across something that seems perfect and the other where someone gets
Justin
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy howdy, business really picked up in this one. There was tons of arguing, cussing, love-making, yelling, whispering, shooting, killing more zombies, zombies killing more people, etc. all throughout the book.

I think where this ends is about where I abandoned the TV show. This was a fast-paced page-turner, but I felt like the site dragged on too long. I'm anxious to see what happens from here since there should be some new storylines to uncover for the first time.

Boy howdy.
fablesandwren
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

So the art changed in this book, and I am pretty sure the rest of the series is drawn this way. It is really something. I wish I had enough talent in me to draw.

Welcome to a version of season 2 of The Walking Dead AMC. Where the barn is full of walkers, Maggie is annoying as ever (she gets better, don't worry), and Hershel believes that everything is just a phase and a cure will be drawn up soon.

Maggie has a lot more siblings, Otis isn't cutely over weight, Shane is already
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this comic series. I like how it focuses on the people and the psychological side of how people could react in a zombie apocalypse. Everyone is pretty much having sex, getting munched on or shouting at one another and I think that's pretty realistic. The artwork in this volume was not as good as the volume 1 artwork by Tony Moore. I've gotten used to it at this stage but I see Tony Moore's artwork for the covers and I just want him back! I also wish it was in colour but that's just ...more
Becky
There's always a crazy... *SMH*

It's been a little bit since I read the first volume, and so, as usual, I was a bit concerned that I might have forgotten stuff. And I did, a little... but it's still early in the series and we're still getting to know the main characters anyway, so there's enough info about them to get along with. I do think that I'm going to have to pick up the pace on reading these though!

Again I really liked the artwork - I love the black and white of the compendium - it kind
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I can't say I enjoyed this one as much as volume 1, but it was still a damn enjoyable graphic novel! It's so interesting to watch how differently the story unfolds from what I'm familiar with on the television show. I have to say that there are a lot of things I strongly prefer in the show (like, um, Beth's existence?), but I'll definitely be continuing the series to watch things progress in their original intended way.
Sam Quixote
AARRRGH, the zombie apocalypse continues! Rick and his miserable band of survivors leave their camp outside Atlanta and potter about the devastated countryside looking for a safe place to stay. They find an abandoned gated community that looks safe AAAAARGGGH! ZOMBIES!!! Then they find a farm that looks safe AARRRRGH! MORE ZOMBIES!!! Then they find a prison that looks safe probably AAARGH! EVEN MORE ZOMBIES (well find out in Volume 3)!!!!! So yeah, pretty repetitive and predictable stuff - but ...more
Sesana
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
For much of the volume, this could just as easily be post-nuclear, or post-plague. That's a compliment, because The Walking Dead isn't as much about the zombies as it is about how people survive and adapt. The survivors find love and lose people they care for, and nearly lose them. They find safe harbors that aren't really, and wind up back where they began. It's all very realistically done, and I ended up feeling attached to these people, flawed as they may be.

But there are zombies after all.
Brittany
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it

***Horror Buddy Read with the Shallow Readers! This week's criteria: creepy creepers and walkers***

I really enjoyed this volume. For me it is a bit difficult to differentiate between the TV show and the comics sometimes, but I'm getting better.

While the artwork is sometimes a bit off for me, some scenes just bleed emotion. I feel their longing for survival, their grief over loved ones, their love and anger for each other. This is just as good as the show. I can see the hype that surrounds this
Darren Hagan
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it. It's so good and gritty and real!
Kirk Kowalkowski
The book is ALWAYS better than the movie (or in this case, the TV show), right? I thought so too, so after falling head over heels for The Walking Dead on TV, I had very high hopes for the comic books. I picked up Days Gone By, and was really let down. Reading it felt like watching Season One in fast forward. There's a real lack of story or character development. It's just this happened, then this happened, then this happened, as if the panels were rationed for each event. After finishing volume ...more
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
Taschima
Yes, I am one of those people who got hooked on the TV Show before they found their way to the comic book. And maybe because of that is that I find myself liking the TV Show more than the comic book, for now at least. I've only read Vol.2 (my local library didn't have vol.1), but already I can see some ways in which the TV Show excels more than the comic book.

Like for example...

-Seeing the zombies coming, and attacking people is much more exciting on the TV Show.

-The comic moves WAY too fast!
I was disappointed to see that this book was illustrated by a different person. He has a totally different style, heavy on the shading, which actually made it hard to tell the difference between two of the women. In fact, one of them begins a relationship with someone and I was flipping back, exclaiming "I thought she had a husband and kids!" before I realized it was another woman. (Part of the problem was me being unobservant, but still...)

Also, oh, the sexism. "Especially the women" was kind
Anthony Chavez
While I love the story and the characters this volume's illustrators were different and it was a bit difficult to tell some of the characters apart, at times I confused Dale and Herschel, other times I confused almost all the women.

This volume touched on finding a safe home to live and regrow, settle down. Everyone wants to go back to how things were and it looks like the reality and weight of things is sinking in. The group encounters a family on a farm that wants to protect themselves and have
DarienMoya

A lot better than the first!
Sutton
Having a hard time with Carol being so young.
And Andreas love interest.
#IWatchedTheShowFirst

Very enjoyable. I love the pace of this comic, and how much information and development they have in each volume.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I think this one is better than the first. I really like Tyresse and Glenn, and even characters like Rick are growing on me. However, the rest of the characters are kinda interchangeable and weren't easy to tell apart. Also, there are a LOT of dialogue bubbles that serve to provide the exposition. At a point, it feels like overload, sorta like:

"As you know, Bob, Alice was a doctor at Mercy Hospital."

"I know, Corey. Remember that time last week where we all got together and forgot
Cathy
The change in artwork is a little jarring. Pity that the artist changed, right now Id say I liked the art in the first volume more.

Getting on the road...

A9-C3-C1-F8-D331-4721-82-D6-608-C565-E0213

Tyreese!

7-D5-A0896-0407-493-B-92-A3-12-F41-EC59-AF8

And I looked up Hershels, Dales and Andreas alter egos from the TV show, to get a better feel for who is who... Carol looks totally different!

This volume made it clear for me that on the surface, yes, its about zombies and the apocalypse. But, really, this is about relationships and about what makes us tick. Nicely done.

I really liked

• Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends
  • Saga, Vol. 2
  • Saga, Vol. 4
  • Batman, Volume 1: The Court of Owls
  • The Walking Dead Volume 7 The Calm Before (Greek Language Edition)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Saga, Vol. 3
  • Batman, Volume 2: The City of Owls
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite
  • Batman: The Killing Joke
  • The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks
  • Spawn Origins, Volume 1
  • Saga, Vol. 6

The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye