Start by marking “The Fear” as Want to Read:
The Fear

The Fear

‘Grabs you by the metaphorical throat right from the start and doesn’t let up until the end.’ Heat
Lou Smith is used to being headline news as, aged seventeen, she ran away with her 37-year-old teacher, Mike, during a short-lived affair.

Now 32, Lou’s life is in tatters – and she resolves to return home to confront Mike for the damage he has caused. But she soon finds that M
Mass Market Paperback, 394 pages
Published March 22nd 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Fear, please sign up.
C.L. Taylor Hi Alexandra, The Fear hasn't been published in the U.S. yet but if you are keen to get hold of a copy you can order a paperback from The Book…moreHi Alexandra, The Fear hasn't been published in the U.S. yet but if you are keen to get hold of a copy you can order a paperback from The Book Depository who offer free international shipping. All the best, Cally.(less)

sue
Yes, there’s been plenty of books about older men grooming young children.
Yes, you may have read them all, or, fed up now of the same old pattern of writing.

WRONG in this instance! This one written by C. L. Taylor takes this from a different angle with a huge twist making this more of a thriller read.

A teacher (Mike) progressively has his interested eye on Louise.
Mike is a family friend of her Fathers which made me shudder.
Louise finds the attention given to her from Mike at the tender age of
Dash fan
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5☆ Utterly Fantastic.... A Must Read!

Fear is absolutely brilliant. It's a perfectly paced Thriller that gave me chills.

Louise is back home after her father passes away.
However Louise wants to be anywhere but home. You see Louise knows if she comes home she will unlock all her painful memories.

Louise was abused and groomed by her teacher Mike!
He went to prison for his crime. But Louise fears he is at it again! She is determined to stop him!

This story has many angles, twists and turns, secrets a
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'Please,please don't do this. Mike, please, if you loved me you wouldn't do this. Please, Mike.'

'I'm doing it because I love you,' he says as he shoves a sock into my mouth, presses the tape over the top and ties my wrists to the bedposts. 'Sometimes I think I love you too much.'

ABOUT THIS BOOK: When Lou Wandsworth ran away to France with her teacher Mike Hughes, she thought he was the love of her life. But Mike wasn’t what he seemed and he left her life in pieces.

Now 32, Lou discovers
Pauline
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
C. L. Taylor is one of my favourite authors and I was delighted to receive an ARC of her new book The Fear. I was hooked by this story from the first page. An excellent thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat. I did not want to put it down. Louise was groomed and abducted by an older man when she was a teenager. This has affected her life and relationships. Eighteen years later she goes home to settle her fathers affairs after his death and finds that her abductor has started grooming anoth ...more
Tan Markovic
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviews on: www.booknerdtan.wordpress.com

4/5 stars!

This was a buddy read with lexlooksatbooks and it was equal parts fun and gruesome!

Lou Wandsworth returns to her childhood home at the age of 32. A place which haunts her to this day as it is full of memories of her high school teacher who groomed her. When arriving back to her childhood home, not only does she find that he is still around, but he is grooming another teenager, Chloe. This story follows Lou on her journey trying to stop this from
Louise Wilson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Lou Wandsworth ran away to France with her teacher Mike Hughes, she thought he was the love of her life. But Mike wasn't what he seemed and he left her life in pieces. Now aged 32, Lou discovers that he is involved with teenager Chloe Meadows. So that history does not repeat itself, she returns home to confront him for the damage he caused.

I think I read parts of this book with my mouth open. This book is about child grooming and at times it's not an easy read. It tells how easy things can
Liz Barnsley
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 stars**
Definitely without doubt for me the best novel yet from this author – she usually gets me mad at a particularly beautifully annoying single character, this time that trademark brilliance in characterisation is there but I’m getting mad for all the right reasons and the story is twisted as sin and twice as dark, with an emotionally resonant theme at the heart of it.

Also, I was rather gleefully fond of Wendy, not sure what that says about me and probably a little too enthusiastic at o
Book Addict Shaun
I am a big fan of C.L. Taylor’s books and so I couldn’t wait to read The Fear. It’s an uncomfortable read in places due to the subject matter but it had a really strong opening that immediately had me glued to my Kindle as events began to unfold.

We see Lou returning to Malvern after the death of her father to tie up loose ends and sell the property. Lou witnesses the man that she ran away with to France when she was a young teenager kissing another young girl in a garden centre and immediately
Warda
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 stars] That ending, holy moles!
Gary
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 7th book I have read by Cally Taylor and I can honestly say I have loved everyone of them. This is a psychological thriller that really does get you hooked very early and the suspense just keeps going.
Lou Wandsworth is a teenager with an awful home life and few friends so when her teacher Mike Hughes shows her the affection and the attention she craves for she cannot resist. Mike grooms Lou and following the start of a relationship he takes her to France to start a life together. Onc
Adrian Dooley
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what an intense read. My first experience of C.L. Taylor’s writing and I really don’t think it will be my last.

The story of Lou Wandsworth and her involvement with her karate teacher Mike Harris. When she was 14 she ran away to France with him for a weekend thinking she was madly in love with him, but of course she soon finds out that Mike isn’t all she thinks he is.

Now 32, Lou finds out that Mike, now out of prison is grooming a 13 year school girl Chloe Meadows and Lou is determined that
Helga
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, british, mystery
The Fear is the gripping and unsettling story of a woman who has been a victim of a violent pedophile years ago.
When she finally gets the courage to return to her hometown, to face her fears and confront her abuser, she discovers that he has got his claws into another teenager.

What should she do? Should she abandon her plan and go back to her damaged and broken life? Should she warn the young girl? Should she go to the police and if she does would they believe her?
Or should she take the matter
Amy
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
From the moment I started The Fear I was totally hooked, Taylor drew me into a dark and tangled web and didn’t let me go until the final chapter. Lou was groomed by a much older man when she was a young teenager and now it’s many years later and she’s still struggling to get past it. Grooming is one of those words that sends a chill down my spine as a parent to two girls, the manipulation and abuse associated with it put the fear into me, what an aptly titled book.

This is told from multiple pers
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

I was completely gripped by this story of revenge and fear! It provokes a mix of emotions, from anger to fear to disgust (when you read more about Mike, you'll probably feel all these too), all taking place against a worryingly 'normal' backdrop - and I was completely sucked in!

The characters in this novel really drew me in - I cared about main character Lou and the elements taken from her diary make you see what it's like to be an unhappy child with a seeming
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
WOW. WOW. WOW. WOW. WOW. No seriously. This has to be one of the most anticipated books of 2018 and it is bloody brilliant! A must read. A must buy. Easily going to make my top 20 of 2018. This has to be the best book Cally has written yet. It is seriously soooo good, I cannot stress that enough.

I need a word thats more than brilliant, amazing, thrilling, gripping and hooked. I loved it! Outstanding. The Fear will get your heart racing and your jaw dropping. Very impressed. I throughly enjoyed d
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Fear is without a doubt a brilliant title for this book. As a parent it put the fear of god into me reading about Mike and how he grooms girls. It was scary to see how easy someone can prey on someone so young and vulnerable. It was also so easy to see how a young adolescent would fall for it.

Lou has tried to get on with her life but has struggled to form any lasting relationships with a man due to what happened in her past. Returning to her family home has her bringing up a whole load of me
Bill Kupersmith
Enjoyed mixed experiences with C. L. Taylor. The Accident seemed so full not only of unlikely events, implausible characters and occasional howlers that I seem to have perpetrated a go-to review for readers who found it distasteful. Then I won online a signed copy of The Lie, and after long choosing and beginning late found it excellent. So, seeing the number of five-star reviews for The Fear I let my experience cast my deciding vote to rank this author.

To begin with what the author does well –
Paul
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
The Fear – Every Parent’s Nightmare

CL Taylor is back, with yet another blockbusting, totally gripping, intense psychological thriller. This really will be disturbing if you are a parent of a teenager, especially one that may not have too many fans, and suddenly has secrets you know nothing about.

Like all Cally Taylor’s previous books, this will grab you by the throat, keep you enthralled from beginning to end. I lost a whole afternoon reading this, thought I would read a few chapter then watch t
Bookread2day
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review by www.favouritenovels.wordpress.com
Twitter@favouritenovels
Excellently written. I can see why this book is called The Fear, I had fear running through me. I couldn't stop turning the pages. I thought in a way that all the characters were psychopaths in their own way . I was hooked into this story from page one. For me I would say The Fear is totally my favourite by C. L. Taylor.
Louise Wandsworth runs away to France with her teacher, Mike , where he surprised me by turning violent towards
Dannii Elle
Ilicit love affairs in fiction will never fail to appeal to me, so when I got the opportunity to take part in the IG tour for a book centering around exactly that, I was more than eager!

A teenaged Lou Wandsworth ran away to France with her teacher Mike Hughes, but now she is an adult on the brink of losing everything and she wants revenge. When she returns to her childhood home so discovers nothing has altered and Hughes is now grooming another unhappy teenager, all these years later. But Mike i
Eva
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5* --> 5*

Hoo boy! Is this a humdinger or what?!

When Lou Wandsworth was fourteen years old, she found herself involved with her much older karate teacher, Mike. On what was supposed to be a romantic trip to France, she is rescued and Mike is sent to prison. Lou and her mother left the village they lived in for London and never came back. But now Lou’s father has passed away and Lou needs to clear out his house so it can be sold. With her life in pieces, she decides maybe the time has come to
Tracy Fenton
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review: The Fear is CL Taylor’s latest psychological thriller and possibly in my opinion her best yet.

I am currently recuperating from an operation and have spent the past few days alternating between sky tv dramas and Netflix, so when the broadband failed this morning and I couldn’t watch TV I started this book.

I often try to work out what makes a book “stand out” for me and this one simply grabbed me from the start and actually didn’t let go until the final page.

Even when I put the book dow
Mandy White
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
C L Taylor is definitely on my list of go to authors.... I have really enjoyed all of her books and this one was no exception. I was hooked on the story and finished it in a day. Great characters, all of whom had their secrets and reasons to not like them.

The story jumps between the past where a 14 year old Lou is groomed by her much older teacher who then takes her off to France., and the present 18 years later where Lou discovers that Mike is doing the same thing again with 13 year old Chloe.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Trust, betrayal, manipulation, family, danger.

The Fear is absolutely excellent, a twisting thriller which is quiet different (in the best of ways) from what I have come to expect from the author. I could not put it down and read it in a single sitting. But I also kept getting thrown out of the story by tiny inaccuracies in the timeline, mostly pertaining to social media.

The story itself starts off pretty tame. It's slow paced, it kinda creeps along dropping crumbs. But then the pace bui
Claire Wilson
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a big fan of the previous novels by CL Taylor, I was itching to get my hands on The Fear and it was worth the wait. With characters you love to despise and twists at every turn, The Fear was hard to put down. When Lou is groomed at an early age by Mike, her judo couch, her experience makes it difficult for her future relationships. When she returns to her hometown as an adult, and sees Mike kiss a young girl, Lou knows she cant let it happen again. Gripping. Thrilling. Fantastic. 4 stars.
Joanne Robertson
Strangely enough, both books I’m reviewing this weekend have a similar issue at their hearts. Both feature the grooming of schoolgirls by men in positions of trust but both have very different (but just as thrilling!) outcomes!! The Fear builds upon the idea of revenge by a past victim as a way of saving the child he currently has his sights set on. But what if that girl doesn’t believe she’s in danger and what if there’s someone else out there watching and waiting to dish out their own idea of ...more
The Book Review Café
There are a handful of authors books I would happily pick up without reading the book description and C.L. Taylor is one of them, she has the ability to turn a well used subject in fiction and turn it into the most twisted and extraordinary tale. The Fear is no different, Shocking, compelling, fraught with tension and guaranteed to keep you turning the pages as if your life depended on it.

Anyone who is a parent with a teenage girl will immediately be struck by a sense of unease when they pick up
Donna Maguire

I love this author’s books and as soon as I read the blurb and saw the cover I knew it was a book that I needed to get my hands on – I was intrigued and drawn in straight away and I just love that cover!

I found the book to be a really addictive read, I didn’t want to put it down and read it in a few hours. I was gripped by the plot as soon as I started reading and the flashbacks and memories from the main character really drew me further in to the story.

I
Anne
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are a handful of authors writing at the moment whose books always excite me. CL Taylor is one of them. With her trademark black cover and compelling blurb, there's a definite air of excitement in this house when her latest novel drops through the letterbox.

Although I have really enjoyed all of this author's books, I do think that her writing improves with each and every book, and The Fear is, in my opinion, most certainly her best yet.

The Fear deals with one of the most disturbing themes i
  • Revenge
  • Thirteen (Psychic Surveys Companion Novels, #2)
  • Secret Somethings
  • Revenge of the Vampir King (Thrones of Blood, Volume 1)
  • Untouchable
  • Flight of the Eagle: A Supernatural Magic Thriller Trilogy (The Sacred Quest Trilogy #2)
  • The Espionage Effect
  • Sweet Agony
  • The Gaia Effect (The Gaia Collection, #1)
  • My Life in a Nutshell
  • Marked (Callum Doyle, #3)
  • Here We Lie
  • Do Not Disturb: Be careful who you let inside . . .
  • Who Are You?
  • Only the Brave (DS Allie Shenton #3)
  • The Christmas Lights
  • When I Find You
  • Everything Is Lies
C.L. Taylor lives in Bristol with her partner and young son. She is a four times Sunday Times bestseller and her books have hit the number one spots on Amazon, Kobo, iBooks and Google Play. Cally has a degree in Psychology, with particular interest in abnormal and criminal Psychology. She also loves knitting, Dr Who, Sherlock, Great British Bake Off and Margaret Atwood and blames Roald Dahl's Tale ...more
“Hate is like a poison you make for your enemy that you end up swallowing yourself. Hating him gives him too much power, too much control over the way I live my life.” 0 likes