Start by marking “Terror is Our Business: Dana Roberts' Casebook of Horrors” as Want to Read:
Terror is Our Business: Dana Roberts' Casebook of Horrors

Terror is Our Business: Dana Roberts' Casebook of Horrors

Award-winning author and “Champion Mojo Storyteller” Joe R. Lansdale (Hap & Leonard, Bubba Ho Tep) and his daughter, author/country singer Kasey Lansdale, have joined forces to bring you a short story collection showcasing the new dynamic duo of supernatural sleuthing, Dana Roberts and her sidekick Jana!

Terror is Our Business gathers together all of Dana’s and Jana’s previ
Published May 29th 2018 by Cutting Block Books

To ask other readers questions about Terror is Our Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terror is Our Business

Start your review of Terror is Our Business: Dana Roberts' Casebook of Horrors
Char
Joe Lansdale always delivers and now we know that Kasey Lansdale does too!

In the foreword, the "Champion Mojo Storyteller" shares with us a little bit about his character Dana Roberts, and how she came about investigating what she calls the "supernormal." This being what most people call "supernatural," but what Dana believes are just events that science cannot yet explain. I enjoyed her tales a LOT, mostly because I loved the framework of Dana being asked to share her stories with a group of s
Jessica
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, horror
This was a fun collection of spooky short stories.

In the introduction, Joe Lansdale recommends spreading out your reading of the stories and I agree with that. Like he mentions in the intro, the stories follow a similar structure so reading them over time is definitely the better option. Otherwise, it is easy to tire of them.

Personally, I really loved Jana as a character. I felt more of a connection with her than I did with Dana. Jana was more relatable and added a nice dash of humor to the sto
Sadie Hartmann
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: night-worms
Thank you to Lauren Roberts at Smith Publicity for sending the #nightworms an advanced copy of Terror is Our Business in exchange for honest reviews.

Having spent a majority of my reading time in the horror genre exclusively since September of last year, I feel like the genre has seeped into my bones and wrapped my brain in a fine residue by which everything I read is filtered through and judged by.
That being said, the standard at this point is high.
At first, this book was not doing it for me. Ou
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

Well I have to say that I don't read much horror, but when I heard Terror is Our Business: Dana Roberts' Casebook of Horrors by Joe R. Lansdale and his daughter Kasey was a collection of short stories/cases of a paranormal investigator I said sign me up! The concept of a paranormal investigator is different from anything I have ever read, and I really enjoyed it.

Terror Is Our Business focuses on a supernatural investigator named Dana who prefers to be called a supernormal investigato
Cody | CodysBookshelf
Thanks to Cutting Block Books for sending all us Nightworms free review copies of this book! It is much appreciated.

I was not sure what to expect going into this collection of stories. I gave the synopsis a cursory glance before diving in; I am a Joe Lansdale fan (By Bizarre Hands is one of my all-time favorite horror collections), and that was enough for me.

Featured herein are seven tales of the spiritual and supernormal, featuring supernormal investigator Dana Roberts and, occasionally, her si
Mindi
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Smith Publicity and Kasey Lansdale for providing this book to the NightWorms in exchange for an honest review.

This is my first book by Joe R. Lansdale, and it definitely will not be my last! And I'm thrilled that this one was a collaboration between Joe and his daughter Kasey. The Lansdale's work seamlessly together, and Kasey adds a lot of fun to the supernormal world of Dana Roberts. I had a blast reading this!

The book is a collection of Joe's earlier stories involving a "supernor
Sci-Fi & Scary
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publicist for review consideration.

Terror is Our Business is the first time I’ve ever read Joe or Kasey Lansdale. I love horror, but by all accounts I’m not nearly as wide read in it as I should be. (At least not when it comes to the more well-known names.) I was a bit nervous about accepting a free copy of the book for review consideration because of that. However, I figured this might give me a taste of Lansdale’s writing to see if I wanted t
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collections, horror
Terror is Our Business was such a fun read for me. The stories in this collection were influenced by Algernon Blackwood, William Hope Hodgson, and Seabury Quinn. If you've known me for a while, you know how much I love Algernon Blackwood. I will be bumping my Seabury Quinn collection up the TBR immediately.

I could see the Algernon Blackwood influence immediately in the first story The Case of the Lighthouse Shambler. A solid mix of Blackwood and Lansdale was a slice of heaven for me.

I mentioned
Emily
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Terror is Our Business was a fun read, and I enjoyed seeing the way that the stories changed and progressed from beginning to end. This book is made up of 7 stories - the first 4 are written by Joe, and they are told in a club storytelling format - Dana shares each story with a group. The last 3 stories are written by both Joe & Kasey, and they are told from the POV of Dana's new assistant Jana.

I really liked the introductions from Joe & Kasey. They work well together, and it sounds like they h
Ashley (spookishmommy)
Thank you, Smith Publicity for providing all the #nightworms free copies of Terror is Our Business to read and review!

TIOB was my first Joe Lansdale reading experience. In the beginning, Joe recommends reading one story a day or one per week which I think is a fantastic way to go about this. I read about one story a day and it helped to break up the stories and not feel they were overlapping.

I enjoyed most of the stories, they were spooky. And while I understand that the style is purposely "stif
Brittany Lee
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-arcs, favorites
Changed from 4 stars to 5- because almost a year later this one still has a sweet spot in my heart and is at the forefront of my memory.

This was my first time reading anything by Joe R. Lansdale, but I assure you, I will be reading more!

I honestly thought these stories were going to give me nightmares, but quite the opposite actually! The strong female roles in this story and the details of how they combatted the supernatural was so impressive and lined up with a lot of occult information, whic
Michael Hicks
Terror is Our Business collects the Dana Roberts stories, previously published elsewhere, into a single volume, along with a new story, “The Case of the Ragman’s Anguish,” that is exclusive to this story. The book is split pretty evenly, with the first half devoted to stories written solely by Joe R. Lansdale, with the back-half featuring stories co-written by Joe and his daughter, Kasey Lansdale.

Inspired by works from Algernon Blackwood, William Hope Hodgson, and the mid-1970s TV series Kolchak
Vanessa
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
TERROR IS OUR BUSINESS is written by father-daughter team of Joe Lansdale and Kasey Lansdale. They write together well, it felt seamless, and was so fun to read. In this case we get a collection of short stories about our heroine Dana (supernatural super sleuth) and in the final stories we get the PoV of Jana (who’s more sidekick than sleuth). The stories are connected through Dana’s (and eventually Jana’s) retelling of cases to a club that likes to invite speakers. At first members are skeptica ...more
Tammy
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: A slightly uneven but entertaining collection that is made better by the relationship between Dana and Jana.

It’s been years since I’ve read anything by Joe R. Lansdale, and so when I was offered the chance to read his latest collection, co-authored with his daughter Kasey, I didn’t hesitate to say “yes.” Terror is Our Busines
Janit Jones
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-books
These are great stories! They are just the right amount of creepy and get closed off perfectly for me to be able to sleep at night. Jana's character is awesome and brings some nice humor. ...more
Audra (ouija.reads)
I have read a bit of Lansdale before, but this was a horse of a different color, as the saying goes.

Terror Is Our Business is a collection of stories featuring supernatural (*ahem* excuse me, supernormal) investigator Dana Roberts and her assistant Jana as they battle weird and strange beings that creep, haunt, and disturb the natural world. She’ll tell you all about why she prefers the term “supernormal” in the book. Believe me, you can’t miss it.

I was a little put off by the first few stories,
Roger
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Terror is Our Business was a late Father's Day gift, which is sort of appropriate as it features a collaboration between a father and child-in this case author Joe Lansdale and his daughter Kasey. I'll be honest I did not like this book at first. One thing that I feel is Joe's big strength as a writer is his ear for dialogue, and Dana Roberts is a far cry from the type of character I am used to seeing from him, so that talent is not really on display as much as I'd like. Dana is a very sober, st ...more
BLONDE vs BOOKS
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
For lovers of American Horror Story, Terror is Our Business is a collection of short stories written by a father-daughter duo: Joe and Kasey Lansdale. The stories follow the heroine of supernatural investigators, Dana Roberts. The setting is a club which members come monthly to chat and have snacks. Dana Roberts is invited to the club to speak, maybe tell one of her famous ghost stories. Her story is moving and believable; she is invited to come back.

Each time Roberts returns to tell a story, re
Jay
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publicity company in exchange for a review, this in no way changes my views and all of the words below are my own.

Dana Roberts has no time for nonsense, and ghost, demon or monster "catching" is a no nonsense business. The "supernormal" are real, and while not entirely understood, they can be control and sometimes destroyed. That's exactly what Dana does between writing books, having classy drinks, and looking like a supermodel.

First and foremost I would not cons
Holly (The GrimDragon)
(Thank you to Cutting Block Books & Smith Publicity for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review!)

Terror is our Business is a collection of stories featuring Dana Roberts, a superNORMAL (I'll get to that in a minute) investigator & her quirky assistant Jana. It's a little bit X-Files, a little bit Supernatural. Except with two females, which was rad!

This did take me awhile to get into, as Dana seemed a bit stiff & pretentious. I get that she was a serious character, but I didn't
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
Terror is Our Business is a short story collection written by father-daughter team Joe R. Lansdale and Kasey Lansdale. The first couple stories are by Joe and center around the character Dana Roberts. These stories follow a setup where Dana the "supernormal" investigator is a guest at this (kinda) men's club and tells stories. The collection gets a lot livelier when Kasey begins contributing and introduces the witty Jana to balance out Dana's seriousness. The stories also drop the "guest at a me ...more
Raquel
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received Terror Is Our Business: Dana Roberts' Casebook of Horrors from Smith Publicity earlier this summer in exchange for an honest review. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect as I have never read Joe Lansdale's work before and also had no idea that he is a fairly well known and at- large writer in the horror genre, some say ideas are similar to Stephen King's. I'm so very glad I was given the chance to read this book because what I got from Joe Lansdale and his daughter Kasey was a wonder ...more
Naomi Downing
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dana Roberts is a paranormal, or as she likes to call it supernormal, investigator. She is invited to be a guest speaker to a club, where she tells them about different investigations she has done. Some stories are not told in the club.
The stories are both creepy and interesting, I didn't want to put it down once I started reading. Even though each story had it's own setting and feel to it, it turned into a cohesive book. I really liked how most of the stories had a title starting with "The Case
Melissa
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I was reached out to by Lauren from Smith Publicity to read two novels from their authors. The first one I started, because it really piqued my interest, was Terror is Our Business: Dana Roberts' Casebook of Horrors.  Written in the third person, this novel is very unique from others that I have read in the past. As an avid fan of paranormal events, and a huge fan of shows like Ghost Adventures, I knew that I had to read this.

The novel is a collection of short stories, written by Joe Lansdale an
Rebecca Delgrosso Kennedy
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I was given a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review*

First off I have to say that I absolutely love that this book was written by a father/daughter team! I have a really good relationship with my dad and the thought of getting to do something cool like this with him sounds amazing.

Terror Is Our Business is a collection of short stories about Dana Roberts. Dana Roberts investigates things that are, as she puts it, supernormal. The first few stories are told by Joe R. Lansdale. While I
Alexandra
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5**

Full review here: https://www.allcharacterswanted.com/b...

Thank you to Smith Publicity for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

As someone who doesn’t really read (or like) horror fiction, I was interested in this compilation of short stories because I love that it was written by a father-daughter team. After reading Dana and Jana’s stories, I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

My favourite stories were “Blind Love” and “The Lighthouse Shambler” (there
Alex | | findingmontauk1
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: night-worms, owned
Terror Is Our Business is a neat book written by Joe and Kasey Lansdale, a great father-daughter team up! It is a collection of supernormal (their term for “supernatural” which is also explained!) sleuth mystery stories. Dana and Jana are the primary characters and they investigate and battle some cool and creepy stuff!

First of all, I loved the way these short stories were presented. They read like you are actually watching or listening to someone tell a story up in front of an audience on stage
Melanie
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
First off I wanna say thank you to Smith Publicity for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review!.

So I don't typically read horror or even watch it because I'm a chicken! However when I was young I used to read those books that had a bunch of scary stories compiled into one book. So when I was asked to review this book I was all over it!

Let me tell you I was not disappointed! After the first story I had to make a rule that I wouldn't read anymore alone at night!

From the very beginnin
Alexa Dudley
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought the stories were each really unique and equally eerie. At some points, they felt a little tedious but as you kept reading I thought that they progressed nicely and became much more entertaining. I especially liked the second half of the book, when Dana's assistant Jana was introduced for the last few stories. At least for me, the book was kind of slow up until Jana's introduction. Since the first half was written as though Dana was retelling her experiences to an audience, they felt so ...more
Jordan
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Lauren from Smith Publicity for sending me an arc of this novel in exchange for my honest reviews. My review and opinions are all mine and completely honest.

So, I went into this book not expecting much for a few reasons. I never read adult books unless I'm forced to in school, and I don't read horror or mystery novels ever. So right off the bat, I was very skeptical of how I would like this book simply due to it's genre. In addition, the cover of this book is not my most favorite.

Bu

• He Started It!: My Twitter War with Trump
  • Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1)
  • Full Throttle
  • Due North
  • The Betrayed Confidence: Seven Series of Dogear Wryde Postcards
  • The Bus on Thursday
  • Aetherchrist
Champion Mojo Storyteller Joe R. Lansdale is the author of over forty novels and numerous short stories. His work has appeared in national anthologies, magazines, and collections, as well as numerous foreign publications. He has written for comics, television, film, newspapers, and Internet sites. His work has been collected in more than two dozen short-story collections, and he has edited or co-e ...more