Start by marking “Scars Like Wings” as Want to Read:
Scars Like Wings

Scars Like Wings

Relatable, heartbreaking, and real, this is a story of resilience--the perfect novel for readers of powerful contemporary fiction like Girl in Pieces and Every Last Word.

Before, I was a million things. Now I'm only one. The Burned Girl.

Ava Lee has lost everything there is to lose: Her parents. Her best friend. Her home. Even her face. She doesn't need a mirror to know what
Published October 3rd 2019 by Delacorte

To ask other readers questions about Scars Like Wings, please sign up.
Annee
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Scars Like Wings
 Teodora
"A heartfelt and unflinching look at the reality of being a burn survivor and at the scars we all carry. This book is for everyone, burned or not, who has ever searched for a light in the darkness."

This affirmation just made me want to sell my soul for this book.
description
Cristina Monica
This is such a realistic story that I had no problem picturing everything happening and understanding what the characters were feeling. As someone who enjoyed the book Wonder but wished it had been about a more mature protagonist, this was pretty perfect for me and a wonderful reading experience. The poems included had a huge impact on me because I strongly connected with the heroine whose heart was shattered into a million pieces when her parents and best friend died in a fire that she was the ...more
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

SCARS LIKE WINGS packs an emotional wallop and was probably one of the most difficult YA books for me to get through this year because it could be so devastatingly tragic and heart-breaking at times, even though it had its lighter points. In X meets Y formula, I'd say that this book is like WONDER meets THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, in that it is about disfigurement and disability, and also about the power of support groups and having a purpos
Schizanthus Nerd
“Everyone has scars. Some are just easier to see.”
All the stars!!! That was gorgeous! It’s been almost three weeks since I finished reading this book and I’m still struggling to form meaningful sentences about it. There isn’t anything I can say that would do justice to the ways Ava and Piper made me feel so please just trust me when I say I want everyone to read this book.

Also, you may want to make sure you have plenty of tissues on hand before you begin. I was close to tears when I read the
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Simon & Schuster (Australia) and Erin Stewart for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

"It's a good reminder: Everyone has scars. Some are just easier to see."

Such a well told story from a burn victim. Sorry I mean burn SURVIVOR. This story is raw and full of emotion.

Ava is seriously burned in a fire that completely destoroyed her home and claimed her parents lives. She ends up living with other family members, Cora and Glenn who's Daughter,
bookswithpaulette
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
If you enjoyed Wonder you will enjoy this debut YA Novel from Erin Stewart.

Our protagonist Ava has burn scars across 60% of her body from a house fire where her mother, father and best friend (Cousin) lost their lives. Ava now lives with her Aunt and uncle, one year on from the tragedy, countless surgeries and rehabilitation it is time for Ava to go back to school, to get back to "normal"

So much has changed for Ava, her mental state, her depression, her scars, kids can be cruel and as a teenage
Kat
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
Wow, what a wonderful book about recovery from a major accident and learning to live with disability/disfigurement. We meet Ava a year after the fire that killed her parents and cousin. She survived but was left covered in burns. Her aunt wants her to return to school. Ava is hesitant.

This book was amazing in so many ways, showing the reality of recovery, the changes, both physical and psychological that someone goes through after a major illness or injury, and the stigmas they encounter. A won
Elvina Zafril
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pansing
Scars Like Wings is a story about Ava that lost her parents in a horrific house fire. That incident left her burned on 60% of her body. She had 19 surgeries. She is feeling lost and hideous. Her life is no longer normal.

She met another burned survivor, Piper. She didn’t expect to meet her. She met her at her support group and school, The characters were so likeable. I enjoyed my journey throughout the book. It was so heartbreaking.

There are so many lessons that I learnt in this book. The plot
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Y.A. readers
Review to come later; I’m in a “book hangover” after reading this beautiful story.
Ok, here it is!
This book was a wonderful read on several levels. First, it’s the story of a teenage girl who loses everything she holds dear in a fire, and has to deal with horrific burns to her body as well. At times she literally wants to let herself curl into a ball and hide from everyone, including her own mirror image, but her doctors and therapists refuse to let that happen. Made me think about how very diffi
Amira
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings,”

I have never really Admired a protagonist as much as I admire Ava.
She is written so realistically that I couldn't help but feel her emotions with every turn of a page.

And believe me, she could have easily been turned into the stereotypical angsty teen who finally finds the ray of light at the end.

But instead her journey to finding a new normal, was so meaningful and relatable.

A must read.
Aria
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review can also be found at Snow White Hates Apples.

Thank you so much Pansing for sending me the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review! Scars like Wings by Erin Stewart will be available at all good bookstores.

Scars like Wings is the story of Ava who has been left severely disfigured after a house fire and who lives with her aunt and uncle, both whom lost their own daughter in the same fire that took the lives of Ava’s family. When placed in this way, you can’t help but to expect
Tracey (Life and Literature)
'Everyone has scars. Some are just easier to see.'

Sixteen year old Ava received burns to sixty percent of her body in the house fire that killed her parents and her cousin Sara. A year on from the devastation, her doctor and her aunt think it would be a good idea for Ava to make a return to school. But Ava can no longer stand to look at herself in the mirror, so how is she going to walk the halls at school where it will be impossible for her to remain invisible?

Staring, whispers, name calling,
Caroline
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, read-in-2019
Going into this book, I was expecting an interesting story about a fire survivor, but all I got was a book about a girl who complains way too much and a lot of theater references which were inaccurate.

The 'friendships' in this book were extremely toxic and made me uncomfortable to read about.

Okay, I'm a theater kid and there were so many 'references' about musicals, that were later referred to as plays, when they are obviously musicals not plays! Shows that have songs in them are musicals, no so
M.  [storme reads a lot]
“Life is not a musical.”

I’m still processing this highly emotionally charged book. I’ll write a review once I’ve had time to digest everything.
Mridu  aka Storypals
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is for all the young adult readers. Also, people who enjoyed #Wonder will also probably enjoy reading this.

Why do I talk so highly off of this novel (even though hI haven’t actually thrown in the best of the adjectives in yet but it deserves them all) you ask?

Because I was able to relate to the main protagonist. I was able to feel, understand all the feeling she was going through. How an event, an accident can change your whole entire life and then you start seeing yourself in different lig
Melanie  Brinkman
"Everyone has scars. Some are just easier to see."

There is nothing left to lose. Gone are her parents. Her best friend. Her home. Her face.

One year ago a house fire left Ava badly disfigured. Since then, she's stayed away from friends, people, their judgment, and life in general. She'd love for it to stay that way, but her aunt insists that she begin attending school once more.

It just awful as she expects, yet there she befriends Piper, a girl from her support group who's everything she wishes
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Ava Gardener is the sole survivor of a house fire that took the lives of her parents and cousin Sara. Ava lives with the scars that serve as a reminder of her sorrow, for the lives lost that fateful day and the life that she's been so cruelly denied. Once an outgoing and popular girl, Ava has become a recluse, completing her education through correspondence and reluctantly attending group counselling appointments for adolescents who have survived tragedy and trauma.

Enduring invasive reconstructi
Zoë ☆
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars!

This was such an incredible but heavy read. I laughed, I cried.. I actually don’t know what to say right now, except for: go read this!! It’s a story that I’ll surely won’t forget anytime soon. It gripped me so much, I just couldn’t stop reading!
Debbie Schrack
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Based on a real friend of hers, Erin Stewart's Scars Like Wings helps readers understand what it's like to wake up with a different face and life. Ava's voice is engaging from the first line. We feel her pain as she tries to fit in and learn how to deal with the loss of her family. Her friend Piper's cheerful persona is a great counter balance to Ava's bitterness. Yet each girl has her own struggle to fit into the world. This is a well-written and poignant novel. I recommend that everyone read t ...more
Adele Shea
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have no words to describe this book apart from simply fantastic.
Thank you Erin Stewart for writing this unforgettable book.
thebookishlinguist
This review contains spoilers.

I seen some other reviews so I think this may be an unpopular opinion, but I really didn’t love this book.

I loved the idea of this book, and I was really excited to read it. However, I found that it followed a really predictable plot, with characters that lacked depth, and a conclusion that I didn’t find particularly satisfying.

A horrific fire leaves Ava with significant burn injuries across her body and face. After being isolated in recovery for a year, it is time
Jude
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ava has a lot of burn scars over her body and face after she survived a house fire which claimed the lives of her parents and her cousin. She spent a long time in the burns unit and is now living with her aunt and uncle (whose daughter lost her life in the fire). Cora and Glenn are keen for her to try to live a normal life and are encouraging her to go back to school, something she's been avoiding. Ava finally agrees to give it a try for two weeks, thinking that she'll do it and then be able to ...more
Alexandra ☁
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
3,8 stars.

I've never read a book about burn victims or characters with a disability so it was an interesting read.
Some characters and attitudes were annoying, but when are teenagers in books not am i right?
Diana
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vid review available on October, 28th, 2019, here: https://youtu.be/W63qOnQhrrQ ...more
erica
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, I really loved this book. When I first saw it -- a YA novel about a burn patient -- I knew I had to read it. But I wasn't expecting to love it this much.

I've spent too time with this book procrastinating my actual work, but I will write a full review later!
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Thank you so much to Simon & Schuster for having me on the Scars Like Wings tour, and for providing me with a copy of the book, in exchange for an honest review.

Ava suffered burns to 60% of her body when she lost her parents and best friend in a fire a year ago.  After a long and excruciating recovery, her doctor and aunt, who now cares for her, think it would be a good idea for Ava to go back to school.  Ava thinks this is the worst idea she's ever heard.  When she can't even look at her own fa
ThatBookGal
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful book. The subject matter is hard hitting, young burn survivors, trying to cope with loss, trauma, and how they slot into a world post fire. That being said, the story itself is uplifting, and it made me laugh and smile, as much as it made me want to sob.

Ava's story was harrowing, and you can't help feel for her, attempting to navigate high school after the most horrific experiences imaginable. Her relationship with her aunt and uncle was amazing, and one of the highlights of th
Tilly
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book is about Ava, the lone survivor of a house fire that killed her parents and cousin. She was left with 60% deep burns and lost an ear and had lots of damage to her face.
The book shows us Ava going back to school and navigating all the struggles and bullying that come with being disabled in a sea of abled young people. She meets the very forceful and seemingly confident Piper who had been a passenger in a car crash and has spinal damage along with burns. Piper is in her own word
Marie
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
Real rating: 4,5 stars.
What a stunning debut. I felt all the emotions while reading this and I'm ALL here for these kind of books. Add this to your TBRs, friends, read it, fall in love with it. I loved it. <3

Thank you to Penguin Random House International for the e-ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Samantha (WLABB)
It had been a year since the fire. She lost so much - her parents, her cousin, herself. Now, her aunt and doctors, believed it is time for Ava's "reintegration", but how could they expect her to find her place in a new school, when she could not even recognize herself.

I. Loved. This. Book. I started it, and blazed through it, because I was so absorbed and invested in Ava's story.

One thing I especially loved about this book was that it was not a story about a victim. This was the story of a survi
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Page number 2 17 Dec 03, 2019 03:31PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Scars Like Wings by Erin Stewart - Starting August 16th 2019 15 10 Aug 22, 2019 10:22AM
Goodreads Librari...: Title Change for Book 6 33 Jul 16, 2018 10:20AM
Title Change for Book 1 3 Jul 16, 2018 06:49AM

• Soleil Glacé
  • Cursed
  • Deeplight
  • Sea Witch Rising (Sea Witch, #2)
  • Romance
  • Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Girl: A Memoir
  • Sanctuary
  • Dormi stanotte sul mio cuore
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • All Eyes on Us
  • Reverie
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • The Sky Weaver (Iskari, #3)
  • Have a Little Faith in Me
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • The Furies

Articles featuring this book

Love an inside scoop? So do we! That's why we're big fans of BookExpo America, the largest annual book trade fair in the United States, where...
“When a wound’s that deep, it’s the healing that hurts.” 5 likes
“This is why I don’t need mirrors; I can see my reflection in the eyes of everyone around me. My face always finds me.” 3 likes