Start by marking “before I knew you (Choices Matter #1)” as Want to Read:
before I knew you (Choices Matter #1)

before I knew you (Choices Matter #1)

After a series of bad choices rocked his world, seventeen-year-old Preston charts a new course as far from his ladies’ man ways as he can get. He distances himself from the dating scene and avoids his party-loving friends—the things that once dominated his life. Then he meets Maggie, the new girl in town, the first day of their junior year. She’s beautiful on the inside an ...more
Published March 9th 2018 by Life Matters Publishing

To ask other readers questions about before I knew you, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about before I knew you

Start your review of before I knew you (Choices Matter #1)
Kristi Drillien
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
(3.5 / 5)

When high school juniors Preston and Maggie meet, they're both planning for abstinence until marriage. But where Maggie has always had that plan, for Preston, it's a result of a period of bad decisions with girls that he wants to come back from. Though he knows it's a bad idea, he keeps his past a secret from his new girlfriend. Unfortunately, the truth has a way of coming out. Can their relationship survive when Preston's past comes back to complicate his life?

For about the first half
Leslie M.
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seventeen-year-old Preston has quite a past, but he’s ready to make some changes, especially after he meets Maggie, a new girl in town. She doesn’t know about his past, and she’s sure he’s out of her league anyway. Preston’s afraid of the truth coming out … which it always seems to have a way of doing. Maggie and Preston will learn that all choices have consequences.

This is Steury’s debut YA novel, and it’s along the same lines as her blog: “Waiting Matters … Because YOU Matter.” It’s the first
Linda Sammaritan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have followed Beth Steury's website (www.bethsteury.com) for some time. Her "Waiting Matters Because You Matter" platform is filled with plenty of solid arguments for the blessings of abstinence before marriage.
Now she has published her first YA novel using that platform to create a great story. The series of events in Before I Knew You could easily happen to any teen you know.
While reading the book, I found Steury has the marvelous ability to get into the mind of an average teen. Reading cha
Sheila
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This young adult book was a great read from beginning to end. With a story that can easily be one from the local high school, this one shows what destructive choices can do to a person and relationship. It also shows that there can be new beginnings. This was an excellent story that highlights the point of waiting to have sex until marriage (and while Preston didn't wait, with his new relationship in Christ, he has a new beginning--one in which he is committed to no sex until he is married). Exc ...more
Sandra
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It is written as a YA book, but wow, perfect for mothers, fathers, grandparents, teachers, mentors, coaches, and guidance counsellors too. It gets one into the minds of our youth and all the struggles they are experiencing, and the temptations they are facing.

Well-written, beautifully done and even though it is Book 1 in a series, it ended at a perfect spot without leaving one hanging. Thanks Beth Steury for a YA book that even a Grandmother of 11 grands can enjoy
Glenn Haggerty
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Before I Knew You gets real with high school romance. With a well done romantic plot, both characters are deeply developed and provide fascinating insight into the turbulence that lies beneath the seemingly placid surface of high school romance. Don’t judge by its cover, teens of both genders will enjoy this one.
Shylock
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my typical read, but decent and well written. Interesting enough.
Kasey Giard
Oct 10, 2018
Cynthia
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
In YA Christian fiction addressing teen love, sex, and possible consequences, this debut novel is a great start for discussion. I give it 4 stars here and 5 on Amazon because I really like/ love it. If I had a teenage child, I’d urge him or her to read it.
Beth Milledge
Apr 17, 2018
Kelly
Apr 24, 2018
Beth Steury
May 30, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Malinda Robinson
Mary
Aug 13, 2019

• I Can't Reach It!: A Growth Mindset Book To Promote Self-Esteem
  • Who Wants To Play With Little Mouse?: A fun counting story about friendship
  • Falling for the Foe (Color-Blind Love Book 1)
  • A Walk to Remember
  • Goldy the Puppy and the Missing Socks
  • Left Behind (Left Behind, #1)
  • The Love Dare
  • Fireproof
  • Courageous
  • Last Port of Call
  • Last Flight Home
  • Within This Circle (A Vow to Cherish, #2)
  • This Book Wants to Make You Laugh (Living Book 2)
  • Daddy Donkey And His Little Son
  • Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, #4)
  • Nelly Pig´s Funny Birthday Surprise (Nelly Pig´s Life #1)
  • A Vow to Cherish (A Vow to Cherish, #1)
Beth immerses herself in the world of YA via substitute teaching, by connecting with the teenage staff and patrons at the fast food joint where she claims the back booth as her office, and by reading YA fiction.

She's a "cheerleader" for saving sex for marriage and an even bigger supporter of "renewed waiting" because it's never too late to make wiser, healthier choices. She welcomes questions and

News & Interviews