Start by marking “Before The Exit: Thought Experiments For Entrepreneurs” as Want to Read:
Before The Exit: Thought Experiments For Entrepreneurs

Before The Exit: Thought Experiments For Entrepreneurs

In the entrepreneurial world, it’s rarely questioned that “exiting” is the end goal of a smartly built business and a prestigious waypoint in a successful career.

Since building and selling a business can take years - or even decades - you can’t exactly “practice” exiting your business. The best you can do is learn from others.

In 2015, Dan Andrews and Ian Schoen sold their
Published March 29th 2018 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Before The Exit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before The Exit

Start your review of Before The Exit: Thought Experiments For Entrepreneurs
Said AlMaskery
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting thought experiments

Exit at the face of it is a good thing, it makes your account look nicer and you part with the stress of running a business... but is it?
What would you do with the cash?
Was the exit based on needs or wants?
Weren’t there other alternatives to exit?

Read the book before thinking of exit ... it’s worth it!
Ben Inkster
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous counterpoint to common entrepreneurial advice

Dan's candid story telling of his exit gives a very different (and very needed) perspective on what exiting a business can look like.
I highly recommend this quick read.
Martijn Reintjes
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
The book proposes some interesting thought exercises about if and when you should sell your business.
Jorė
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a quick read about what we don't talk much about - how to exit business you've built. There's no need to be in a process of planning to sell one or even having anything to sell. This is just a refreshing way to look into life of the entrepreneur. There's plenty written on how to get started and how to grow, but what happens afterwards, when one gets bored or ready to move to the next big thing, is a bit foggy land. So, read this if you care to see the full picture.
And one of the starting t
Paul Carleton
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read this book twice already—it’s a brilliant short read that will change your perspective in a way you’ve never encountered from a business book.

Inside Before the Exit, author Dan Andrews takes a unique look at what it means to sell your business and covers what the practical steps are for ensuring you make the right decision — I’ll give you a quick rundown from a reader perspective:

It’s extremely applicable (much more so than your average business-orientated book), Dan runs the reader thr
Adii Pienaar
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short & sweet.

What I like most about this book is that it asks the "non-obvious" questions that you will not often hear asked in mainstream media or in public circles. All exits/acquisitions/mergers are lauded, but the details are rarely completely known nor is the full "cost" ever considered.

This is the kind of book that I wish I had read before I sold out of WooThemes in 2013. Many of Dan's questions would've helped me go into that decision with greater awareness. It may not have changed my mi
Stephen Heiner
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, favorites
It's an excellent short read in a field that isn't written about much: how business owners think about their exits. Dan shares, warts and all, his experiences selling his business (Part 2 of the book) after he spends Part 1 of the book walking us through various exercises to consider, "Do I really want to sell my business?" The concept of the lifestyle ladder, whether you entirely accept the premises or not, is worth the price of admission alone. ...more
Fran Cresswell
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short but sweet book (especially if you are listening on audiobook) which throws up a lot of ideas for those who run a business. I read it on the recommendation of my partner who is unsure of whether he will look to keep or sell his business in the longer term. This book offers some great thought experiments which gave us some more clarity on his best options.

Andrews makes a great point about the levels of finance we can have and what impact they have on our lives:
Being in debt
Being br
Tomas Laurinavicius
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unusual and thoughtful book on selling your business

Highly recommend the book for any entrepreneur. Whether you think or don’t of selling your business, the thought experiments will definitely make you think.
Chris
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short book, quite interesting topics to think about.
Mark
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
really great book. walks you through all the things you don't ever think about before you sell your business. ...more
Michael
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the top 3 best books about selling a business.
Vitaliy Kotyakov
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent audiobook version. An insightful read. Thank you!
Paul Bleisch
Gerbz
Apr 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Road Less Stupid: Advice from the Chairman of the Board
  • Angel: How to Invest in Technology Startups—Timeless Advice from an Angel Investor Who Turned $100,000 into $100,000,000
  • Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • Law of Success
  • The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu's Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work
  • Tough Minded Management
  • Release Your Brakes
  • Quantum Leap Thinking: An Owner's Guide to the Mind
  • The Art of War
  • The Quantum Leap Strategy
  • The Max Strategy: How A Buisnessman Got Stuck At An Airport...
  • Steve Jobs: The Unauthorized Autobiography
  • Either You're in Or You're in the Way
Dan Andrews has published a weekly business podcast since 2009. You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes (or your favorite podcast app) by searching for “Tropical MBA.”

News & Interviews

“As a business owner, you’ll ultimately take 100% responsibility for the direction you choose.” 0 likes