Start by marking “The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart” as Want to Read:
The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart

The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart

The most enchanting debut novel of 2018, this is an irresistible, deeply moving and romantic story of a young girl, daughter of an abusive father, who has to learn the hard way that she can break the patterns of the past, live on her own terms and find her own strength.

After her family suffers a tragedy when she is nine years old, Alice Hart is forced to leave her idyllic
Published June 28th 2018 by Pan Macmillan (first published March 19th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart, please sign up.
Jean This book is nothing like The Language Of Flowers. The story is totally different. The location of The Lost Flowers of Alice Heart is Australia, the…moreThis book is nothing like The Language Of Flowers. The story is totally different. The location of The Lost Flowers of Alice Heart is Australia, the flowers were all Australian Native plants and trees, beautifully described and very relevant to the story. Where as The Language Of Flowers is in the USA. It was not a very inspiring book, I concidered it a waste of reading time. I have actually forgotten the story. Only know that if it had been the same I would have stopped reading The Lost Flowers of Alice Heart. I have written a review and recommended it, but then I love flowers and am familiar with Australian plants. Even so the story keeps you interested, I found it hard to put down. I googled flowers I was unfamiliar with...very interesting. It was a well researched book Well worth a read.😊(less)

Phrynne
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
I should have realised this was not the book for me when I saw reviews remarking on the similarities between it and The Language of Flowers. It seems flowers do not speak to me and sadly nor did The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart.

I found the book to be over long and very disjointed. New characters were still being added with back stories in the final third of the book which I found annoying. The main character was way, way over the top. I lost count of how many times she vomited or fainted as a reac
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart is a rare beauty. It is one of those novels that quietly sneaks up on you and unleashes its power. I have a feeling that The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart is destined to remain by my side for some time yet. It is a fierce and assured piece of writing that makes a solid commentary on family dynamics, domestic drama and self discovery. It is a mighty feat for a new writer, but Holly Ringland demonstrates she is a force to be reckone
PattyMacDotComma
3.5★
“Most of the time he spent inside followed the awful things he did. But when he came out, he was always better. Alice had decided his shed held a transformational kind of magic, as if within its walls was an enchanted mirror, or a spinning wheel.
. . .
She’d read about alchemy in her library books; she knew the tale of Rumpelstiltskin. Her father’s shed was where he spun straw into gold.”

Stunning cover and an unbeatable opening sentence, which has been widely quoted (but that won’t stop me fr
Brenda
The days when her father wasn’t home were the best of all for young Alice Hart. She and her mother would tend the garden together, finding a calm and peace that was never around when he was there. Alice adored her mother and was terrified of her father. But at nine years of age, a tragedy meant Alice had to live with her grandmother – a woman she had never met – on a flower farm a long way from the seaside that was the only home Alice had known.

Gradually Alice came to love the flowers and their
Suzanne
Hard to review a book too long after reading, so this is just a tiny thought. This was an audio read, one that I enjoyed not quite as much as The language of flowers. The flower theme is a lovely one, and they seem to be a redeeming feature in this story of abuse and loss. I loved the imagery and the character of Alice who was a beautiful, strong and courageous soul. I don't take notes on audio reads and must review closer to reading time. A worthy four star book. Oh, and of course, it goes with ...more
Sharon
When tragedy strikes nine year old Alice Hart is given no choice but to leave her only home she knows by the seaside and go and live with her estranged grandmother, June who was a flower farmer.

Listening to her grandmother, Alice begins to learn and appreciates all the different types of flowers that her grandmother grows on her farm. Alice discovers a whole new language. Her grandmother also takes in women who have been mistreated and need a safe place to stay, hoping that she can help heal the
Carolyn
This book not only has the most gorgeous cover but also a beautiful story of loss, love and redemption. At nine, Alice Hart is a little girl battered and bruised by her controlling, violent father, kept isolated from the world and home schooled. Her only joy is escaping into the world of books and working in the garden with her mother. When a tragedy strikes and Alice loses her parents she is sent to live on a flower farm with the grandmother she never knew she had. There she discovers not only ...more
Ana
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Depois desenvolvo, tenho que sentar-me e organizar ideias, sentimentos, tudo... Mas já adivinharam... ADOREI!
Opinião completa no canal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AThRd...

Opinião completa no blogue - https://osabordosmeuslivros.blogspot....
Marchpane
This was a book club pick and I must admit, I knew going in that it wasn’t my kind of book. But I was determined to give it a chance, because isn’t that what book clubs are for?

The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart is like Practical Magic with flowers instead of witchcraft. Several generations of women in one family line, a big old house, a fairy tale vibe, romance, abusive men. The writing was also reminiscent of Alice Hoffman’s dreamy style – clearly Holly Ringland is strongly influenced by Hoffman’
Andrea
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the spellbinding cover to the very last page, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this debut novel by Holly Ringland.

It's difficult to think of a more dramatic opening line, but this is how we meet our protagonist, Alice. She's a child living an isolated life by the sea with her gentle mother, who talks to the flowers in her garden, and a violent,
Bianca
The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart is Holly Ringland's debut novel. It's been marketed quite heavily in Australia, there was a lot of excitement about it, so I had to read it to see if the hype was deserved.

It's a beautifully crafted book, with not only a gorgeous cover but also each chapter has the drawing of an Australian native flower and a bit of information about it. It was very well done, so kudos to the book designers.

This was a coming of age story. Alice Hart's father is a violent, volatile
Joanne Freitas
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nem tenho palavras para descrever o turbilhão de pensamentos e sentimentos que este livro me despertou. Um livro que vai mudar a vida de qualquer um.

Opinião completa no blog: lostinmyownworldofbooks.wordpress.com...
Seda
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

📚”Herkesin ait olabileceği bir yere ve birine ihtiyacı vardır.”
📚Alice o günü, hayatını geri dönülmez şekilde değiştiren gün olarak hatırlayacaktı her daim, ancak anlaması yirmi yılını alacaktı: Hayat ileriye dönük yaşanır ancak geriye dönük algılanır. Tam ortasında dururken manzarayı görmek mümkün değildir.

Alice Hart’ın Kayıp Çiçekleri, ismi, kapağı ve konusuyla, çiçek seven herkesin dikkatini kolaylıkla çekecektir. Ben de içinde sevimli bir hikayeye eşlik eden, çiçekler böcekler bulacağımı dü
Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
Apesar de ter gostado muito de ler este livro, não consigo deixar de pensar no quanto a personalidade da Alice mudou ao longo de toda a narrativa. Um livro dividido em três partes que acompanham as várias fases da vida da pequena Alice e que nos mostram como as flores são poderosas no seu significado e na sua linguagem.
Alice era uma menina de nove anos que vivia com os pais num terreno à beira-mar plantado, cheio de flores coloridas, cuja linguagem era de grande importância. Desde logo que se pe
Theresa Smith
Guilt, grief, and the toxic effect of harbouring family secrets play out in this enchanting and heartfelt novel by debut Australian author, Holly Ringland. The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart is a story that orbits around wildflowers. The book itself is utterly gorgeous, from the cover through to the artwork detailed throughout. The chapters are each named for a specific wildflower/bush/grass that directly relates to the themes contained within. The meaning is given for each, along with a short descr ...more
Lucia Fonseca
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
É-me difícil escrever algo sobre este livro.
Senti as alegrias e as tristezas da Alice Hart quase como se fossem as minhas.
Este livro merece todo o burburinho positivo que anda por aí em volta dele. A história é soberba. A Alice é uma força da natureza. A escrita parece quase lírica. É diferente de tudo o que li até hoje.
Nota especial para a capa e o interior do livro serem lindos.
O ano ainda não acabou mas será um dos favoritos de 2018.
Leiam este livro, a sério.
Danielle {halfdesertedstreets}
This was such an enchanting story from the beginning. I loved the voice and the setting, which created an almost magical realism style. The writing was exquisite, the child’s viewpoint poetic and lovely, even when dealing with horrors. I felt that the final third lost that magic, perhaps purposely so in echo of the main character’s own challenges. It felt to me, however, as though the style changed and the story lost its way somewhat. Still a great read, just not quite as rapturous as I’d first ...more
Rose Puddy
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book 6 stars it still wouldn't be enough. A remarkably assured debut novel.

Spanning two decades, set between sugarcane fields by the sea, Thornfeld a native Australian flower farm and a celestial crater in the central desert, The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart follows Alice’s unforgettable journey, as she learns that the most powerful story she will ever possess is her own.

Beautifully written, heartwarming and moving.

You want a book to capture you from the very first line, and
Mish
I had high hopes at the beginning of this book, being drawn in by the voice of 8-year-old Alice Hart, describing her horrific life under the roof of her abusive father. And I really liked the concept of plot, with the family secrets and how history repeats itself, but unfortunately I’m not on the same page as everyone else - the writing really let me down. The reoccurring themes of fire, and the language of flower just overpowered everything good about this novel; it was repetitive, spoke to me ...more
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
3.5 STARS - Disclaimer: My sincere thanks to House of Anansi Press for providing me with a complimentary copy of this title in exchange for my honest review.

When I first began this debut novel by Australian author Holly Ringland, its eye-catching cover and its engaging beginning impressed me immediately. Filled with family tragedy and a young heroine readers could get behind, I quickly understood why this book was such a hit in Australia.

Throughout the book there are beautiful sketches of flow
Filipa
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice.
A Alice desta história é minha amiga. Conheço-a desde tenra idade. Conheço como adora livros, como os conheceu através da mãe e das histórias da mãe. Como os conheceu quando um dia irrompeu na sua camisa de noite, na biblioteca ao pé de sua casa.

Alice. A Alice adora flores. Adora flores porque a mãe adorava flores e lhe ensinou o carinho por elas, o carinho pelo jardim, a linguagem das flores e as histórias que elas contam.
Conheço Alice desde tenra idade até à sua adolescência, ao seu pri
Maria João (A Biblioteca da João)
9,5 de 10*

Julgo que são livros como este que fazem as pessoas apaixonarem-se pelos livros! Há muito tempo que não encontrava um livro tão bom, que me deliciasse da forma como este o fez! Tudo nele é bom: a história, a associação às flores, a escrita da autora (ainda mais louvável sabendo que é a sua primeira obra), a capa maravilhosa, o interior igualmente bonito e único. Fiquei encantada com esta leitura e dei por mim a ler muito devagar (o que não é meu costume), a saborear cada frase e aprove
Fabi
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gostei muito deste livro, só tive pena do final... penso que ficaram algumas coisas no ar!
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Each flower is a secret language.’

From the opening sentence, this novel held my attention:

‘In the weatherboard house at the end of the lane, nine-year-old Alice Hart sat at her desk by the window and dreamed of ways to set her father on fire.’

It didn’t take me long to appreciate why Alice might want to set her father on fire: Clem Hart is an abusive, violent man who controls Alice and her mother Agnes. When tragedy strikes the Hart family, Alice is sent to live with her paternal grandmother: Ju
Yellowdreamer
This is one of the most anticipated and exceptionally well marketed books of 2018 (there was even a bidding war over the manuscript!) with a gorgeous author to boot.

Despite the confronting and ugly theme of domestic violence within, this book is FULL of beauty: the magnificent cover design, the flower artwork throughout, the extensive descriptions of Australian native flowers and our unique landscape, the chapter names & themes & dreamy font, and of course, the ‘language of flowers’ its
Karen-Maree
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very lucky to work in the publishing industry so was able to read this book in proof form last year. It is such a special book with the most beautiful writing and characters that you fall in love with, who linger in your thoughts long after you put the book down.

At times I was challenged by the lead character's choices she made, as you care so much about her (and that is what makes it so special ) and you want the best for them, but that is what makes this novel so real - we all make mistak
Maria
Odette Knappers
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, inbezit
Wauw, wat een verhaal.

Neem een treurig boek zoals Het einde van de eenzaamheid, doe daar een scheut Lori Nelson Spielman bij qua hoe ze over vrouwen en familiebanden kan schrijven, en je krijgt dit.

Het verhaal verzwolg me helemaal en ik wilde niets anders doen dan meer en door en uit, maar ik wilde ook niet dat het uit was. Want het is zo mooi en zo bijzonder en zo fijn, ondanks de eigenlijk enorme treurigheid van dit verhaal.

Wat is enorm fijn vindt aan dit boek is dat het chronologisch verteld
  • The Gulf
  • Ache
  • The Restorer
  • The Botanist's Daughter
  • Where the Trees Were
  • The Way Back
  • The Art of Friendship
  • Miss Lily's Lovely Ladies (Miss Lily's Lovely Ladies, #1)
  • The Secrets at Ocean's Edge
  • The Painted Sky
  • Safe Harbour
  • The Greatest Gift
  • Hope Farm
HOLLY RINGLAND grew up barefoot and wild in her mother's tropical garden on the east coast of Australia. Her interest in cultures and stories was sparked by a two-year journey her family took in North America when she was nine years old, living in a camper van and travelling from one national park to another. In her twenties, Holly worked for four years in a remote Indigenous community in the cent ...more
“I knew you were still in there. Stay, please don't let the wind change.” 2 likes
“The more she cried, the more Alice believed she really did have some of the sea inside her.” 1 likes