Start by marking “Picked Off (A Brie Hooker Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Picked Off  (A Brie Hooker Mystery #2)

Picked Off

(A Brie Hooker Mystery #2)

candidate’s son, a pro quarterback, is flying home for the wingding.

The campaign fundraiser pr
Published June 5th 2018 by Henery Press

To ask other readers questions about Picked Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picked Off

Sabine
Another crazy, fun mystery with Brie Hooker and the gang.

Close to Halloween Aunt Eva hosts a fundraiser event for her friend Carol Strong who is aspiring to become the governor of South Carolina. A haunted barn is set up at the farm for the guests.
Carol's son Zack, a pro quarterback, who shows up to join the event and support his mother is stabbed in the haunted house with a pitch fork and barely survives.

Brie, Paint, Andy and Mollye are getting into some very precarious situations on their mi
Linda
Get ready for another madcap adventure with Brie Hooker and her Aunt Eva at the goat farm! It’s close to Halloween and the gang’s been working on a scary haunted barn. Brie is still being courted by best friends, Paint and Andy, and trying to decide who she likes best. Senator Carol Strong’s son, Zack, a pro-quarterback for the Las Vegas Aces, comes home to visit and is attacked and badly injured during the haunted barn event. The sheriff, Brie, Aunt Eva, and Sala Lemmon, owner of the Aces, aim ...more
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2rQfevw

With its rural South Carolina setting, a goat farm (400, to be exact), and quirky characters, Picked Off is a fun cozy mystery. Cozies often have a creatively crazy title, but here it’s the Udderly Kidding Dairy and the name Brie Hooker that have me shaking my head. Really cute! There are some references to previous events in the first book, but this story stands alone.

The age-old vices of jealousy, revenge, and greed play a big part in the m
LORI CASWELL
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

The South Carolina Governor’s race is heating up and Udderly Kidding Dairy Farm is hosting a fundraiser for Senator Carol Strong. A Halloween themed costume party has been set up on the grounds and people have come from all over. The Senator’s son has even flown in from Las Vegas. Zack is the starting quarterback for the Aces. Brie who has told Paint and Andy she values their friendship too much to date them decides she may like to get to know Zack a little better. Before she
Karen
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was asked to review Linda Lovely's second in the Brie Hooker Mystery series Picked Off and was excited to download my ARC from Netgalley. I loved the first one and the second one did not disappoint. This one had a bunch of great storylines and I enjoy the wannabe love triangle between main character Brie and best friends Andy and Paint. I also love that Brie is a vegan, which is such an odd part of the plot and yet comes together beautifully. Lots of animals, dogs and mayhem at their farm. The ...more
Betty
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Brie Hooker series is another story covering a serious matter. The goats, donkey, the guard dogs are there to add relief as the tension grows as things become difficult for Brie and her Aunt Eva. A dread Lover's Triangle is developing and it is slightly different.
At Udderly Kidding Dairy friends have gathered to plan a fundraiser for Carol Strong, Eva best friend who is running governor of South Carolina. It has Halloween theme with a haunted house. Carol's son is the quar
Taryn
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this second book of the series we meet Carol who is Eva's friend and a state senator. Carol is running for governor and Brie along with her Aunt are getting the farm ready for a get together where she will speak about her running points. Brie along with Andy and Paint are setting up the Udderly Haunted Barn of Horrors to help raise money to put towards Carols campaign. Carols famous footballer player son, Zack, will be joining the party to help promote his mother and catch up with old friends ...more
Patty
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked Off by Linda Lovely is the 2nd book in A Brie Hooker Mystery series, and another great addition. Brie and her aunt Eva, are hosting a fundraiser at Kidding Dairy when a local celebrity is attacked with a pitch fork. Why would someone attack him at their dairy, Brie vows to find out. Once I started this book, I could not stop reading it until I was done. Not only is this book an exciting mystery but also very refreshing and a quick read. If you love fun cozy mysteries, which are my favorit ...more
Katreader
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PICKED OFF by Linda Lovely
The Second Brie Hooker Mystery

A Halloween themed political fundraiser for Eva's friend, Carol Strong, turns frightening when people start running from the haunted barn. The cause is not the scary decorations, but rather the bloody body of Carol's son, Zach, star quarterback of the Las Vegas Aces. With Zack in a coma, Brie tries to puzzle out who attacked him. Was it one of the local enemies from his past? Did it come from a disgruntled football fan or someone from his
Mary Brown
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked Off
A Brie Hooker Mystery, Book #2
Linda Lovely
5 Stars

Synopsis:

Udderly Kidding Dairy is hosting a campaign fundraiser for Eva’s best friend, who hopes to be South Carolina’s next governor. The candidate’s son, a pro quarterback, is flying home for the wingding. And Brie’s eager to get a close-up view of the cute tush she’s admired on TV, even though she’s reluctantly sworn off even more tempting local beefcake.

The campaign fundraiser promises to be a huge success until a pitchfork attack tu
K.A. Davis
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PICKED OFF, the second book in the Brie Hooker Mysteries by Linda Lovely, is a terrific addition to a zany series that will keep you entertained! From the opening scene to the final chapter, there are several attention grabbing plotlines to keep the reader turning pages. Protagonist, Brie Hooker, is a vegan yet finds herself working at her Aunt Eva’s Udderly Kidding goat dairy farm, tending to 400 goats. Surrounded by meat and cheese loving family and friends, Brie still holds her own and has ta ...more
Jessica Robbins
*I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley which I voluntarily chose to write an honest review for.

What a great addition to this wonderful cozy mystery series. This time Brie gets wrapped up in the investigation of a pro football player that has been attacked. Her eclectic style mixed with the farm details, vegan bits, and her aunt makes for a comical story line that you can really get hooked on. Add the cheese curses plus a hoot for her best friend to bring on the laughs even more. I h
Larissa Reinhart
Picked Off is udderly charming! Hunky heroes and a spunky heroine will sweep you off your feet in this adorable cozy. A sweet Southern tale of revenge, jealousy, and murder. Grab a mint julip for this one. Better yet a goat's milk shake. Sans pitchfork.
Carol Evans
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I have mixed feelings about Picked Off by Linda Lovely. I love Brie and all of her friends, who I first met in Bones to Pick. Her aunt is awesome, feisty and honest and loving. She and her friends, Mollye, Paint and Andy make a great team, even if they’re a bit bumbling, like any good amateur detectives. They are funny and truly care about each other. The mystery is good. We’ve got plenty of suspects and motives, which is not surprising considering the victim – who doesn’t actually die by the wa ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This is such a fun series and it is interesting to see how the mystery plays out since it does not hinge on someone being murdered.

I've really enjoyed getting to know these characters - Brie the vegan chef, her wacky friend Mollye, Aunt Eva, and of course the two men vying for Brie's affection - Paint and Andy. And of course the goat farm's name is very creative - Udderly Kidding.

This book pulled in politics, attempted murder, kidnapping, and gambling into the why of the mystery. There is a mur
Laura M
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Brie Hooker Mystery Series by Linda Lovely (the first was Bones to Pick), however, it was the first in the series I read. I generally hate to start in the middle of a series, but I had the opportunity to review it for NetGalley and it looked like an interesting premise.

Brie Hooker lives with her aunt Eva at Udderly Kidding dairy farm. Eva’s best friend, Carol (who is really more like family), is running for office and Eva agreed to have a Halloween-themed fundrais
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
When Brie and her friends Paint and Andy are getting Udderly Kidding Dairy ready for a Halloween fundraiser for her Aunt Eva's best friend Carol Strong, who is running for governor, all talk is about Carol's son Zack, who grew up with the two men and has now made it big in football. But no sooner are they talking about him when he shows up to visit with his old friends.

Once the costumed affair is underway, everyone seems to be having a good time...until Zack is found unconscious in the barn, hav
Elizabeth
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, cozy, food, mystery
Scenes were perfectly described. I had no trouble visualizing any of the settings. It would be fun if there were a few recipes at the end of the book, just to sample some of the dishes Brie made. The food-related substitutes for cursing didn't really appeal to me, but that's just personal taste. I also thought this book was maybe a little more sex-oriented than many Henery cozies. (view spoiler) ...more
Lghiggins
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Picked Off, a cozy mystery by Linda Lovely, but I didn’t love it and I didn’t think it was as good as the first book in the series.

On the positive side, it has an interesting plot, likable characters and appropriate injections of humor. In fact, there is an exciting escape scene that is as funny as all get out! It’s worth reading the book just to experience that piece of writing. There are lots of fun, folksy figures of speech to roll off the tongue and stir the imagination.

On the neg
Vicki
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Brie Hooker series. Brie is a vegan chef who has returned back to her home farm roots. None of her family and friends are vegans and, while she stays true to her foodstuff, she still has to be able to work and live with those who eat meat.

Brie is now living with and working with her aunt at Udderly Kidding Dairy, a goat farm. She has decided to stay put for a while and even start working on her special plan of a vegan bed and breakfast establishment.

The only proble
Laura Reading
My favorite time of year! The Halloween season is upon Udderly Kidding Dairy, along with election season. Brie Hooker and her Aunt Eva are dead center in all the activities.
When a famous football star is attacked in the haunted barn and his mother, the candidate, goes missing Brie and friends (yes, just friends, for now) take it upon themselves to find out who and why, along with what makes Zack's phone so important.

The animals are not as involved in this book as the previous one, but the human
Nate
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was shocked at how much I loved the second in this series. I feel like it got a pacing down that I liked and the characters were jumping off the page. Brie was even stronger and more vegan and I think she was more in control than the first book. Aunt Eva was just as sassy and Paint and Andy just as in love with Brie. While I am not typically a sports fan I admired Zach and I found the fantasy football leagues fascinating. You hear about the Fantasy Football Leagues but unless you know somethin ...more
Kathleen
What drew me to this story was that I did read the previous book and did want to continue the story. The cover draws you in with its farm theme.

This book can be read as a standalone. I like the wit, the characters have spunk and relevancy of issues being discussed in the book. Just be forewarned there is much innuendo in this book. The plot is engaging and there is humor even if some of it falls flat.

This one deals with gambling addiction, greed and of course, jealousy. It is set in around Hallo
Verity W
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
***Copy from Netgalley in return for an honest review*****

I think this book shows a series starting to get into its stride - I enjoyed this more than I enjoyed the first Brie Hooker mystery. It still has it's problems - Brie still comes off as one of those self-righteous people who goes on and on to everyone around them about their superior lifestyle choice (in this case veganism) which makes her hard to really like and I'm not sure that the love triangle that is being set up is satisfactorily r
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brie Hooker and her Aunt Eva live and work on the Udderly Kidding Dairy Farm - a goat dairy farm. They've consented to host her Aunt Eva's friend Carol's campaign fundraiser- which in the flavor of the season is a masquerade party complete with a haunted house in the barn. Carol's son, Zack, a pro-quarterback flies in to attend.

This mystery has so much: a vicious pitchfork attack, blackmail, kidnapping, and murder. It even alludes to the dangers of gambling. And yet it's not too much. There's ra
Ann
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are back to Udderly kidding Dairy with Brie and Aunt Eva in book 2 In this cute cozy series. The farm is hosting a fund raiser for Aunt Eva’s best friend, Aron who is running for South Carolina governor. When her son Zack is stabbed in the Halloween inspired haunted barn it puts a damper on the festivities. I think Brie. Reds to finally choose a steady boyfriend as the series continues. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. The story flowed very well and was very enjoyable. This book will keep you reading long into the night and you will not want to put this book down until you finish. This was such a great read and full of surprises.
Barbara Tobey
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Southern charm and farm fresh this story is sure to entertain. Lots of action. The euphemisms are a hoot. The triangle romance is getting stale, and I had hoped for a third party, Zack, to sweep our protagonist off her feet, but it was not to be. The publisher provided a copy via NetGalley.
Marla Bradeen
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
PICKED OFF is an entertaining read. I liked the diverse cast of characters, the abundance of animals, and how the main character is a vegan in a non-vegan environment. Mystery fans should enjoy this one.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book.
Taylor
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed the storyline of this mystery series. The characters were interesting and the story flowed. I had a hard time with all the puns and the corny names of things, which I think distracted me enough to not give this book 5 stars. But I would read the next book in the series, puns and all. I just think it could do without them.
  • A Composition in Murder (A Cherry Tucker Mystery #6)
  • Mardi Gras Murder (Cajun Country Mystery, #4)
  • Midnight Mysteries:
  • The Art of Vanishing (Lila Maclean Academic Mystery #2)
  • Double Knot (Davis Way Crime Caper, #5)
  • The 12 Slays of Christmas
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • Against the Claw (Lobster Shack Mystery, #2)
  • One Fete in the Grave (A Liv And Di In Dixie Mystery #3)
  • In Cold Chocolate (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Purrder She Wrote (Cat Cafe Mystery, #2)
  • A Crafter Knits a Clue (A Handcrafted Mystery #1)
  • Bear Witness to Murder (Shamelessly Adorable Teddy Bear Mystery, #2)
A native of Iowa, Linda has called the South home for more than forty years.

Linda's romantic suspense novel, LIES: SECRETS CAN KILL, is set in 1938 in Keokuk, Iowa, her hometown. LIES proves there are great stories to be told in every era and every town.

In October, Linda's new Brie Hooker Mystery series will debut. The humorous cozy series is set in a fictitious county near her current home in U

A Brie Hooker Mystery (3 books)
  • Bones to Pick (A Brie Hooker Mystery,  #1)
  • Bad Pick (Brie Hooker Mystery,#3)