Start by marking “Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions: Book 1: From Frights to Flaws” as Want to Read:
Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions: Book 1: From Frights to Flaws

Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions: Book 1: From Frights to Flaws

(Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions #1)

Twelve-year-old Alyssa McCarthy is sick of her uncle’s unfair rules and longs for a better life. After discovering the existence of magic, she finds out about a dark wizard hunting her down. An unforgettable storm occurs in Alyssa’s ordinary New Jersey town before the sorcerer kidnaps her to the Fiji Islands.
On the enchanted island of Yanowic, Alyssa learns that she is un
Published March 8th 2018 (first published August 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions

James McCormick
The novel starts very well indeed, a young girl under the yoke of domestic tyranny and powerless (at least initially) to liberate herself from an adult authority figure.
One is reminded here of Roald Dahl but in contrast to the late children’s author Sunayana Prasad turns her adult guardian figure into a sympathetic character. Uncle Bruce is obsessive, dominating and controlling but his heart is in the right place and he is also an individual damaged by personal tragedy.
The scene set the magic q
Cheryl
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first 6 chapters seemed to be repetitive and just a lot of dialect. Which I grew old of quickly. Plus, I could not understand Alyssa need to try to make her uncle understand what was happening was magic. He obviously did not like Alyssa or believed her. So I could not figure out why Alyssa was trying so hard to make her uncle see her point. Chapter seven is when the story started to pick up. This is when Duchamp kidnapped Alyssa and took her to the Fiji Islands. In addition, it was not just ...more
David Scott
Sunayna Prasad clearly has a great imagination. Poor Alyssa, the book's main character, has to go through a great many fantastical ordeals to escape the clutches of the evil Master Beau. Sadly, the writing doesn't hold up to the author's imagination. There is far too much explaining of every magical detail, and Alyssa is never just left to learn things on her own. The extended explanations of magic and technology too, were cute but largely unnecessary and unhelpful in furthering the plot. Sunaya ...more
Katie Beitz
Imaginative, but not believable.

I found reading Alyssa McCarthy’s Magical Missions: Book 1: From Frights to Flaws difficult. The narrative was clunky and the writing style unwieldy.

Alyssa McCarthy is a young girl who has tragically lost both parents. She is living with her cousin and Uncle when she discovers that an evil magician from Fiji wants to kidnap her so that he can rule France? The premise was certainly imaginative, but not very believable.

From this point on, the reader is taken on an
Sue Brooks
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book!!! I would totally recommend it for children 11-13 -- depending on their level of maturity. The book does cover some death and the villain plotting the death of the main character of the book -- thus, it might be a little scary for children under 11. If the reader enjoys fantasy and magic, I would truly recommend this book. It's a quick and fun read!

I was recently asked to read and review this book. Well, I started it last night and it kept sounding so so so familiar. So, I go into
Wendy Unsworth
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and quirky story featuring 12 year old Alyssa and her cousin, Hailey. Alyssa is being raised by her Uncle Bruce (Hailey's father). The girls are being homeschooled and Bruce is a very strict parent and guardian.
The magic starts when the girl's babysitter has a spell put on her. Uncle Bruce most definitely does not believe in magic and the girls are blamed.
From this point the magic escalates and eventually Alyssa is transported to Fiji where she must defeat the evil Master Beau and learn
Katrina Roets
Every once in a while, a young adult book crosses my desk and I get excited. I have two teen boys who I would love to get reading more so I consider it an opportunity to find them something they might love. This book, however, isn't it. The book starts out well, but just doesn't hold up. I found the characters to be flat and some of the situations/responses to be odd. For example, Alyssa meets these two people who are suddenly her mentors and she's just like, "oh, okay..." I don't know a single ...more
Kristin
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I'd like to thank the author and Promotional Book Tours for allowing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
As an adult, I found this book rather hard to read. The characters were just taking everything so well, and in stride, it made it kind of unbelievable from my point of view. I kept trying to put myself in the position of the adults in the story, and I just couldn't see myself reacting the way they did.
That being said however, once I got past that, took off my jaded glass
Terry Sprouse
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enchanting tale that incorporates all the elements of a great magical YA story – virtuous protagonists, scary antagonists and a strong statement on the power of friendship and loyalty.

The author’s engaging writing style and a well-conceived plot puts this book in the class of other outstanding fantasy books, like the Harry Potter series, with the double (much appreciated) value that they are extremely entertaining for children and an enjoyable read for adults.

There was a lot to like about th
Phaedra Seabolt
This was a little out of my normal reading element. I decided that I would give a YA book a try since I haven't read many for a while, but I only liked the book rather than fell in love with it. It's a cute story about a girl who has had a rather rough life and then is thrown into the world of magic. She never believed magic existed, but the evidence piles up in such a way that she cannot deny the existence. What I was not crazy about was that I felt like every character that Alyssa ran into jus ...more
Simone
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
Alyssa McCarthy parents died in a tragic accident five years ago. Since then, she has been raised by her aunt and uncle. After being with them for a few years her Aunt Laura passes away from a reaction to raspberries. Now Uncle Bruce has become a strict guardian to Alyssa and her cousin Hailey. No one believes in magic, especially not her uncle. Will he listen before it's too late? Will the evil wizard Duchamp get his way?

This was a great story about friendship, good versus evil, and love. Alyss
Niki
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa is twelve years l when her parents die in a car accident, she goes to live with an uncle, who is cruel and abuses her. Alyssa decides to run away and search for her guardian, who is working hard to be able to get custody. She discovers magic and soon others are after her too. She wants to safe her city but before she can she is kidnapped.

It is a fun book for kids 12 years and up. Alyssa is a cute character, you just gotta love her. The story goes in a steady pace with lots of magic an (so
May Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: FROM FRIGHT TO FLAWS by Sunayna Prasad [ALYSSA McCARTHY 'S MAGICAL MISSIONS BOOK 1]

Any story that begins as it's reader's hook with "your life will never be the same...because of magic" is bound to be exciting, engrossing, adventuresome. Welcome to FROM FRIGHTS TO FLAWS, first in the ALYSSA MCCARTHY'S MAGICAL MISSIONS. Alyssa is a very special girl; she's lost both parents, then an aunt, and chafes under her uncle's rigid restrictions. Then to find out she is targeted by an Evil Wizard--
Lauren Jones
When reading this story, the first thing that catches the attention of the reader is the magical elements. If you saw something that shouldn’t be possible, would you be afraid? Would you want to learn more? Prasad has an interesting plot that is centralized for middle grade and young teens.

Alyssa McCarthy becomes wrapped up in a world of magic. She tells everyone that magic is real, but none of the adults believe her when strange things begin to happen. Her uncle’s memory is wiped after a storm
Seraphia
From Frights to Flaws is a children’s fantasy novel about a young girl by the name of Alyssa McCarthy. Alyssa is a 12 year old girl who is living with her Uncle Donald who is highly aloof. Alyssa is tired of his stringent rules and the way that he treats her and his daughter Hailey. Then Alyssa starts getting messages telling her that magic is real and that her life is about to change. Alyssa isn’t prepared for the changes that are about to be quickly happening in her life.
From Frights to Flaws
NicCole
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lee
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a magical adventure for children. At first, it seems to be just a twelve year old girl's story, with Alyssa living with her cousin and her strict uncle. It's a sad situation, her being without her parents and so on. But then, suddenly, the magic begins. Notes start appearing to out of thin air.
Then she sees what appears to be a live statue. It's crazy, the amount of stuff that happens to this girl. When warnings start coming about an evil wizard that wants to kidnap her, she isn't
Author's Circle
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although written for a young reader, Prasad has built a world full of magic and imagination. Alyssa, a twelve-year-old girl is taken on a dangerous journey full of enchantment as she fights to save those she loves as well as herself.

When magical things start happening to Alyssa, no one believes her. That is until her uncle loses his memory, the sleet turns colors, and Alyssa is kidnapped to the island of Fiji by the evil wizard Duchamp. A magical connection has caused him to hunt her down but th
Mar
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa McCarthy is a young teenager that finds the existence of a magical world and is fed up with living with her uncle and uncle, who keeps her secluded from the real world. In the beginning, you can’t help but find it too similar to Harry Potter books. The author would gain a lot if she could distance herself from it as it feels forced. As if she is writing a book with a formula she already knows it works.
Fortunately, the author finds her own way as soon as Alyssa starts her own adventures,
Julius Blitzy
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fantasy recommended for all ages, in my opinion at least.
A whole new world has never been this easy to assimilate and get used to, it’s easy to feel part of this new exciting journey.
A lonely girl without parents feels she just lost her meaning in the world, then everything start to change around and inside her, magic has awake within her and it’s up to her to find her place in a new world full of possibilities. There are struggles, tears, development at its finest and much more. For me to be
Amy L
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Mission: Book 1: From Frights to Flaws follows the adventures of Alyssa as she encounters a world of magic. Alyssa makes for a timely role model, for was encouraging to read a book, and one that shows the start of a series, that begins with a female protagonist. While this book isn't quite for my tastes as an adult reader, I can find absolutely no fault with it when it comes to a younger audience. Were I quite a few years younger, I can guarantee that I would have absol ...more
Jessica
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Hounded by her Uncle Bruce and his house keeper Mrs. Hutchinson, Alyssa McCarthy dreams of a different life. When one day doing chores becomes an exercise in trying to fix what magic apparently broke, Alyssa and her cousin Hailey are introduced to the fact that magic is indeed real. Alyssa is told by a mysterious stranger named Simon that magic is real and is being used by an evil sorcerer to hurt those around her, so he can kidnap Alyssa. Now Alyssa must find a way to use the budding magic with ...more
Jessica
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa McCarthy is only twelve years old but has had to deal with more than her share of personal tragedy. Between the death of her parents and her aunt as well as the autocratic rule of her uncle with whom she lives, Alyssa just tries to make it through each and every day. But when Alyssa is abducted from home by a Warlock and finds herself prisoner on a remote island, Alyssa has to reexamine what she believes to be true and what was previously impossible.
A young adult book full of adventure,
Renee Spicuzza
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sunayna Prasad’s, “Alyssa McCarthy’s Magical Missions: Book 1: From Frights to Flaws,” is a story for older children and younger teens, showcasing the magical potential in what was ordinarily seen as an uneventful world. Prasad has set up the perfect character, someone who feels that her uncle is setting ridiculous parameters on her life and sets out to search for a different life experience, which she ultimately finds with her discovery of the existence of magic. She is whisked away from her ho ...more
Kayleigh Woods
A quick read. If you liked "Harry Potter" or "The Chronicles of Narnia," this may be up your alley.

Alyssa is tired of her uncle's rules and strictness. When a strange magic interferes, however, Alyssa and her cousin Hailey are shook up. What's even stranger still is when Alyssa is kidnapped and taken to the Fiji Islands, to a place called Yanowic. What's WORSE is that she is taken to a place where she is forced to become a magic slave and do strange tests!

Thanks to her wizard mentors, Mathias an
Jimmy Jefferson
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A magical mystical fiction for the young adult

This is a fun story with Alyssa as the main charachter who is kidnapped and must then try to find her way back home while exploring the mystery that has been presented to her. The story is fun and progress nicely and the author does a good job of presenting developed and entertaining characters within a good storyline. I found the pace to be good and the writing to be fun and just about right for the young teen audience. I would recommend for all of
Katy
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a delightful read geared towards older children and young adults. The author writes well, and I like the overall theme and lessons taught in the book. The main character Alyssa is resilient and relentless in her battle in good vs evil which sets a great example for the young minds that might read this book. Alyssa feels as if her uncle is too strict and sets off to find a version of life she can be happy with. Magical elements, wizards, and a test of Alyssa's character are wha ...more
Allison Rogge
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions: Book 1 From Frights to Flaws by Sunayna Prasad is a fast paced and detailed story of mystery and magic. Alyssa and her friends fight evil and the dark arts with help from some magical friends and creatures who use magic for good. They guide Alyssa and her friends as they fight for their lives. It is full of wild adventure and will keep you guessing page after page.
Team Golfwell
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions: Book 1: From Frights to Flaws by Sunayna Prasad and wonderful story by a very talented young author. Fast moving and creative, it shows a young adult how to not be afraid and overcome fears. It shows how self-reliance and courage work along with the help of others. A very worthwhile read and very well written by a very intelligent young author who enjoys writing stories since she was 6 years old.
Courtney
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
My children love these little books. They thoroughly enjoy each and every story, as if they are all unique and individual without any cause for similarity among them. Even though sometimes, they might seem tedious and repetitive to me as a parent, I do enjoy being able to read short-stories to my children that are clean and respective.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • Through the Valley Love Endures
  • The Grinding
  • Broken Dolls (The Telepathic Clans, # 3)
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Indigo Incite (Indigo, #1)
  • True Love's First Kiss (Queen of the Realm of Faerie 1-3)
  • Little Miss Evil
  • Awakening (Ragesong, #1)
  • The Chosen
  • The Peacock Door
  • Crushing
  • The Sailweaver's Son (Sky Riders of Etherium Book 1)
  • Mo: The Talking Dog
  • Renhala (Renhala, #1)
  • Chatty Fluffo
  • Mark of the Witch (Boston Witches, #1)
  • A Ranger's Tale (Tallenmere, #1)
Sunayna Prasad has been writing stories for over several years, starting at the age of six. Now twenty-four, she is done with college and will pursue a career in art and design as well as continue to write for children. Aside from that, Sunayna also likes to cook, watch movies, and draw. She lives on Long Island, New York, with her family.

Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions (2 books)
  • Wizardry Goes Wild