Start by marking “The Midwife and The Lindworm” as Want to Read:
The Midwife and The Lindworm

The Midwife and The Lindworm

(The Midwife Fables)

The Midwife has worked on her share of unusual births over the years—from foxes to royalty to the Gods themselves. One of the stranger births she assisted was a queen who delivered twins: one a boy, the future king, and one a serpent, known as The Lindworm.

Now, almost twenty years later, the queen has called upon The Midwife again—this time, to rid the castle of The Lindwo
Published May 1st 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Midwife and The Lindworm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midwife and The Lindworm

Start your review of The Midwife and The Lindworm
Leontiy Cristea
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A queer, inclusive take on the standard fairy-tale formula, this short story is utterly charming, witty, and far, far too short: it's impossible to meet the Midwife and not want to join her on more of her adventures.

This story has heart and humour and is, simply put, a lovely little tale, the likes of which we need far, far more of in the genre.
Jennie Ivins
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story staring one of my new favorite characters The Midwife! She's a no nonsense old woman with more common sense than tack and a talent for getting herself and others out of unusual situations. This is actually the second of The Midwife stories I've read. The first is part of a yet to be published book series also by A. A. Freeman.

The Midwife and The Lindworm is short and sweet, with great characters, snappy dialog, and a interesting new take on a classic fairy tale. Can't wait
Adam Pannell
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great fairytale with just the right amount of twistedness.
ANN T
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great new series!

Loved the writing and storyline. The characters came immediately to life as did the stage for the story. Filled my head with great visuals, which for me is the key to storytelling. Looking forward to The Midwife’s next adventure and other writings by this author. Highly recommend!
Tatiana Valada
After knowing this story is a norwegian fairy tale I was really curious about it. Although it's a good story, with some weird characters and creepy descriptions, I was hopping for a different Lindworm and a "darker ending". ...more
Joni Biniaz
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this story!

AA Freeman is a born storyteller. The Midwife and The Lindworm is funny, unique, and unforgettable. Peoples (and wormed!) with sharp, witty characters that I hope to meet again very soon. This is brilliant fantasy, a perfect feast of a tale! ❤️❤️❤️
iam
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great short story with an amazing sense of humor. I never thought I'd call a character called "The Midwife" badass, but here I am - she is badass. ...more
Emily
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cool premise!
M. Barnaby
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun fairy tale with a quirky cast of characters.
Allison
The Midwife is a great character. She's completely without fear and incredibly witty. A great take on this lesser-known fairy tale. ...more
James Bach
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A longer version of this in my blog.

The situation the characters were put through was unique and brought a smile about my face, and Freeman does lovely prose all around, especially when it came to describing the Lindworm and the interactions with them and the Midwife. My only wish is that this was a little longer so we could get teased with more of the Midwife’s background in this world, like how, or even why, she does what she did.

Overall, I’m looking forward to reading more from this series, a
Lyndsey
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

A very nice short read to pass the time. I’ll definitely be coming back to this whenever I need something to read.
N
Nick
May 11, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: New Series 6 33 Sep 12, 2020 06:19PM

• Helminth
  • A Perilous Assignment (Order of the MoonStone #0.5)
  • The Cryo Killer
  • Breathe For Me
  • The Policeman (Dead Planet #0.4)
  • SINKHOLE: A Speculative Fiction Short Story
  • The Prince and the Troll (Faraway Collection)
  • The Festering Ones
  • Smoke and Bone (The Plague Bloom #0.5)
  • Untethered
  • Leave the World Behind
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • One Golden Summer
  • An Echo in the Sorrow (Soulbound, #6)
  • Good Enough to Eat (The Vampire Diet, #1)
  • Oh, That Shotgun Sky (Songs of Sefate, #1.5)
  • To Read or Not to Read
  • What Adam Wants: (a short story)
A.A. Freeman is an author, crafter, and all-around geek that lives in the foothills of North Carolina and spends her days writing fantasy and science fiction with a hint of romance. When not writing she knits, cross stitches, plays video games and works on perfecting her dried rose petal shortbread cookie recipe. She's probably not a robot. Beep boop. ...more

The Midwife Fables (2 books)
  • The Worth of Hair