Start by marking “She Called Me Woman: Nigeria's Queer Women Speak” as Want to Read:
She Called Me Woman: Nigeria's Queer Women Speak

She Called Me Woman: Nigeria's Queer Women Speak

"These true stories are beautifully told, the pain and honesty and hope and joy in these accounts is strong like a song" – Stella Duffy

This stirring and intimate collection brings together 25 first-hand accounts to paint a vivid portrait of what it means to be a queer Nigerian woman. These beautifully told stories of resistance and resilience reveal the realities of a comm

Published April 26th 2018 by CASSAVA REPUBLIC

To ask other readers questions about She Called Me Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Called Me Woman

Terna
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gets 5 stars simply for existing. It’s a HUGE HUGE accomplishment and a sign of the possibility of a Nigerian society where queer folks can feel safe. Not there yet but the sheer effort that went in to creating this book, increasing visibility and speaking especially for all the young people who have not seen themselves represented anywhere without the story of misery as inevitable, is staggering. Alhamdulillah and congratulations to all the contributors and editors.
Heather
A very brave endeavour that suffers hugely from under editing. These thirty stories-often shocking, moving, effecting-need to have been given shape by a strong editor, to streamline the narratives and focus on the most important aspects. As it stands, these accounts often read as if they are being transcribed directly from conversation or are cut together from answers to posed to pre-written questions. Unfortunately giving someone a voice in publishing does not simply mean writing down what they ...more
Franciska
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
3.5*
I am so glad that a book like this exists and even more glad that I had a chance to read it! While there were personal opinions from some of the authors of the essays that I disagreed with, and some essays were better done than others, I think the collection really did what it set out to do and that it's a worthwhile read for anyone interested in it.
Devon H
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of personal narratives from queer Nigerian women. First of all, I want to say I am so impressed with the subject matter. Queer Nigerian women are sharing their stories in this book, and they are not shying away from difficult subject matter. They are sharing their rapes, forced marriages, assault, and more in these pages. These women are inspiring, because reading their stories, I feel as though so many of them have forgiven those that have wronged them, even if they ha ...more
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled to finish this book but not due to it's content. These stories need telling in their whole entirety and the book in my view only half achieves this by getting these peoples voices heard in the first place. To be an enjoyable read it needed better editing. The style of writing made each story melt into the next one, it felt very much like a question and answer session without the questions being printed.
Whilst i can see what was trying to be achieved with this book i didn't enjoy it a
Eniola Olubosi
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is a diverse book of the experiences of queer Nigerian women.
Trigger warning for violence--sexual, physical, mental, emotional and social. Reading this book was painful.
I'm also very annoyed that I'd unknowingly been wearing signs that say you like girls. Tons of girls have asked me, oh, why do you wear this particular thing, etc. And I'm just like, I just like it, instead of shooting my shot. Kill me.
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have an advance copy of the paperback. Anyway: This anthology of 25 first-person essays is lovely and expanding. Nigerian women who are queer wrote essays on the theme of being all that--female, queer, Nigerian. By expanding I mean that my life in a big city in the U.S. moved a bit to the African continent, as lives do when we read.
KL Baudelaire
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly loved this book. A fascinating, engaging, moving and enlightening read. The variety of voices is so valuable, spanning different ages, classes and social groups. And it feels very timely - published four years after Nigeria's Same-Sex Marriage Prohibition Act. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in LGBT issues, and anyone interested in the human condition. Please read this.
Ayo
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really eye opening to learn about the experiences of queer women in Nigeria. The writers were really brave to share these stories.

It was hard to get through some of the trauma in the stories. And some of them were inconsistent (which the writers highlighted in the beginning). It’s still a good read though.
Temilade Adebiyi
No frills, romantising or sugar coating. This is just real life and it has blown my sheltered mind.
Ruth
rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2019
Tinea
Jul 06, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Finally available for pre-order on Amazon in the US, with delivery expected in September. I am so excited to read this courageous book, the first of its kind from Nigeria (that I know of), telling stories of queer women in their own words in a country with a thriving queer scene and gender norms that bend in different ways than those with which many of us in the US are familiar. Queer people are also suppressed and sometimes actively targeted by government and religious authorities as well as fa ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
  • True Sex: The Lives of Trans Men at the Turn of the Twentieth Century
  • Trans/Portraits: Voices from Transgender Communities
  • No Mercy Here: Gender, Punishment, and the Making of Jim Crow Modernity
  • Dilemmas of Desire: Teenage Girls Talk about Sexuality
  • The Queer Child, or Growing Sideways in the Twentieth Century
  • The Third Body
  • And the Spirit Moved Them: The Lost Radical History of America's First Feminists
  • Queer Indigenous Studies: Critical Interventions in Theory, Politics, and Literature
  • I Am a Bacha Posh: My Life as a Woman Living as a Man in Afghanistan
  • Homintern: How Gay Culture Liberated the Modern World
  • Decolonizing Trans/Gender 101
  • The Revolution Has Come: Black Power, Gender, and the Black Panther Party in Oakland
  • Queer Brown Voices: Personal Narratives of Latina/o LGBT Activism
  • Intersex (For Lack of a Better Word)
  • The Word Pretty
  • Building Houses Out of Chicken Legs: Black Women, Food, and Power
  • The Trouble Between Us: An Uneasy History of White and Black Women in the Feminist Movement
  • Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of Our Lives