Start by marking “On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)” as Want to Read:
On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)

On the Ice

(Stick Side #1)

For college sophomore Mitch Greyson, determination and persistence are the name of the game if he wants to make it as a professional hockey player. A busy schedule of practices, games, classes, homework, two part-time jobs—and now, working with a tutor to help him pass the class he’s failing so that he can keep his scholarship—shouldn’t leave him with enough time to flirt ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 348 pages
Published May 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about On the Ice, please sign up.
Amy Aislin Hi Brenda! I'm so sorry I missed this question. Didn't get a notification about it for some reason. Anyway, YES! You're right. Yager's guy in New York…moreHi Brenda! I'm so sorry I missed this question. Didn't get a notification about it for some reason. Anyway, YES! You're right. Yager's guy in New York was Dan, Mitch's brother. I'm currently writing their story and if I can stick to my timeline, it'll probably be out in late May. Thanks for asking!(less)

Start your review of On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I love hockey books and I love books with MCs all over the queer spectrum, so a book where the MC is a hockey-playing demisexual should have been right up my alley. Sadly, this book felt like pieces of a puzzle that didn't quite fit together.

It seems like ALL of my friends love this one, so maybe it was just my mood, but I found the book to be strangely written. Mitch, in particular, didn't work for me. He was supposed to be this closeted guy who was very closed off to others, but then he would
Cadiva
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well this was an utter surprise and a very pleasant one. I've never read Amy Aislin before but I shall definitely be keeping an eye out for more of this series.

I absolutely adored it. This is slow burn but with a difference because NHL defensive lineman Alex is demisexual and he needs to be emotionally connected to someone before he even thinks about having feelings of sexual attraction.

Mitch, on the other hand, is younger and, on the face of it, way more confident. He's bold and brash but hidin
Shile
Time of death 38%.

I will put this on hold for now, maybe i will be back one day, or not. I am just not feeling it.

I feel like i have been reading this for 5 days and i am only at 38%.

Line
I don't really know what to do with this one.
There were some true WTF-moments that had me considering a DNF or a lower rating, but then it turned around again so it wasn't a complete disaster, making this a mixed bag of tricks.

Negatives:
- The amount of times that demisexual was explained. When we got to the third time, I decided there would be a test at the end of this, why else would it be repeated again and again?
But I can totally ace it now; it means that they only like short people, right?!
Fabi
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - I really liked it

I tend to enjoy hockey themed romance and the writing and editing flowed seemlessly. It was easy to read. It was also a lovely romance. But the plot could have used some smoothing. There were several things that stretched believability. Not enough to turn me away from the story, but enough to make me stop and shrug before continuing.

I'm looking forward to more in this series.
BWT (Belen)
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
At the start of On the Ice, which spans seven years, Mitch Greyson is nineteen, brilliant, broke, and running himself ragged trying to attain his goals. Alex Dean, is twenty-four, has a broken arm, and being on the NHL's injured player list, time to return to old stomping grounds in Glen Hill, Vermont so he can heal, visit with his grandfather, and catch up with his college buddies. One of those friends is a TA for the one class that Mitch just can't quite pass and, through a series of events, A ...more
Radd Reader
"Life isn’t always about ups and downs. Sometimes it’s just a steady journey, and that’s okay too.”

Characters
Alex (24, pro hockey player- defenseman)

Something to know about Alex:
- Alex is currently on the injured list, so he is using this down time to write a book about the cost of hockey (what players have to give up or sacrifice to achieve a successful hockey career)

The following words/phrases were used to describe Alex: commanding presence, charming, confident, observant, laid-back,
Amanda
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the Ice is a really sweet story that revolves around two hockey players. Mitch is a college player who is not only dedicated to the sport but also a total math and science geek. Mitch is a total slut and was hitting on Alex at first sight. After being rejected, his ego was bruised, but his passion for sport and studies manages to attract Alex to befriend him.

Alex is only 24, but he feels much older to me, due to his highly responsible personality and maturity. When he decided to help tutor M
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

5 Stars

Mitch is a college sophomore, trying to juggle school and hockey along with two jobs. Cut off by his mother after he refuses to attend business school and prepare to join the family business, Mitch is just trying to survive. He meets pro-hockey player, Alex when Alex sits on a panel at his school. Mitch is instantly attracted to Alex and tries to turn on the charm, but Alex is demisexual, so it doesn’t work, but while he may not be sexually attracted to Mitch, something about him draws Al
Cheri
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
There were so many things I loved about this book. I loved the characters. I loved their romance. I loved how their relationship built from awkwardness to friendship to lovers. I am always glad to see demisexuality portrayed so well in a book.

However, and this will probably not bother most readers but it really bothered me. The author made a big deal in her acknowledgements that she worked with someone else for the hockey stuff. She obviously didn't choose a person who knew about college hockey
Joyfully Jay
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

2 stars

Sports and athletes of all kinds can sell me on a book just like that. There then needs to be something else to hook me in and this book did not do the best job with that. To start, the author’s note states that Mitch and Alex were introduced in a previously published novella as side characters where they had already been married for six years. On the Ice then takes us back to when they met and right off, that set up didn’t interest me.

Mitch is confident and smart a
namericanwordcat
3.5 Stars.

I loved the romance at the center of the book between Mitch and Alex. Mitch's first cocky bold approach and then Alex demanding he be real.

As Alex is demisexual, we get a slow burn romance which creates lots of space for emotionial connection.

Alex is just a solidly great guy and so comfortable in his own skin.

Mitch is really wonderful too and the dates and falling in love as they handle a long distance relationship is well done.

Outside the romance, there needs to be better work with
Nazanin ex-Profile
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
+5 stars! I enjoyed this slow-burn story so much! Mitch and Alex were adorable and perfect for each other *sigh. Definitely going to check Amy Aislin's other books.
Honestly? I adored this book! I was really excited when I heard of it because demisexual character? Hockey romance? SIGN ME UP! And this was so wonderfully wonderful! There’s a great slow-burn element to the romance and I loved watching the friendship between Alex and Mitch grow and develop into romance. I also love Mitch and Cody’s friendship, how Cody is always there for him when he needs him. It was so wonderful! I also really loved Mitch’s relationship with his dad and Alex’s with his mom; G ...more
Jay
3.5 stars -- This is one of those books that I'm mixed on and wanted to like it more because it contains what I thought was a really good portrayal of a demisexual character. Unfortunately, I had issues with a lot of the individual conflicts and how they were resolved. I'm not going to go into detail, but most if it left me unsatisfied, because once the relationship part of the book had finally reached the point where it was good and solid, it felt like the next chapters were simply closing out ...more
ReadingAllNite
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/19 I’d give this a higher rating now that I’ve reread it. Maybe I was having a bad week last year!

Really enjoyable

I liked the 2 books I’d read by this author and when I saw hockey romance, my eyes lit up. I never watch hockey but adore books about it. This was a very original storyline and is set nearly a decade ago. Mitch is a driven young man; to excel at hockey, keep his grades up and earn enough to supplement his scholarship. It’s to show his cold-hearted mother he doesn’t need her money
Lelyana
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

I'm not really a sport stories reader, but some particular sport like hockey, ice skating, and swimming are some of books I like to read. This one from Amy Aislin captured my interest, because, hockey! I liked the slow burn chemistry between the MCs, makes the romance more real. And the way they're struggling through long distance relationship? It was precious. I believe this is a good start for the new series in the near future.
Well done!
Tanya
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love a good old fashioned hockey player or 2?

With being or wanting to be a professional player in a any sport, being out is not really an option. Mitch being in college wanting to become a professional player has had to keep his sexuality quiet but when he meets professional player Alex Dean well he can't help himself.

Alex isn't attracted to Mitch but sees that Mitch is putting on a front by flirting relentlessly. His goal is to get Mitch to be himself and stop hiding. What he doesn
Mateo
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm demi happy about this story, I want to put 4 stars (one star for the evil mother' a story with an evil mother is always a good drama) but I'm not convinced, something missing, the magic was not here. I enjoyed the reading and that's why I will stay with the 4 stars.
Courtney Bassett
A fantastic, heart-warming story

Oh, I loved this. Alex and his need to really connect with someone before being attracted to them was the perfect counterpoint to Mitch, used to one-night stands and keeping everyone at arm’s length to avoid getting hurt. Seeing Mitch’s defenses slowly crumble as he gained trust in Alex, and seeing Alex’s attraction for Mitch grow as they got to know each other better, really made this a sweet story.

The side plot with the brother strained credulity a bit, but it
S.J. Himes
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

I was not expecting to love this book as much as I do. It has a breadth of emotion and honesty to it that has me tearing up and sniffling. I cried a lot despite the low angst. Medium angst. Nothing felt contrived. It felt real. A sports romance with a healthy dose of slice of life and every day turmoil. Well done.
Jess
This book was provided for free by the author and Love Bytes in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

I haven’t read a sports romance that delves this deep into each character in a very long time. By the end of this book, Alex and Mitch felt like such real people that ending their story was heartbreaking! You know you’ve read an excellent, effective, provocative book when you get sad towards the
Annie
My feelings for On the Ice ended up mirroring the slow burn romance portrayed on the pages. I was a little nervous through the first few chapters because, while the characters were detailed and developed on their own, I wasn’t quite feeling that spark for the characters, the couple, or their story. Yet, without me even realizing it, the story took hold and I was completely engrossed in Mitch and Alex.

On the Ice details a romance between a college hockey player and a current NHL player. I love ho
Sophie
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, e-book
I'm drawn to books about hockey like Winnie the Pooh to honey, so of course I had to get this.

I liked it okay, although it.. hm. I'm not sure how to put it, but the hockey parts always felt strangely sterile to me. My biggest issue was the fact that it didn't really feel like 2008 - some comments like about dating via app (which certainly existed back then but imho wasn't as much of a thing like today) and especially the conversations about demi-sexuality really threw me off and distracted me.
Bev
Enjoyed this slow-burn hockey romance, although there were a few niggles for me, including the fact that the author felt it necessary to keep explaining demisexuality...as if none of us know what it is [hello...ever heard of googling it?].

The evil bitch mother never actually made a physical appearance in the story thank goodness, and was therefore severely limited to incredibly stupid phone calls and texts BUT I was rather p****d off with both members of Mitch's remaining family, older brother
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

These two characters came to life within the first few chapters and swept me away with their story. I honestly did not want to put this book down to go to bed, but my subconscious took over when I did, and I dreamed about Mitch and Alex. Without a doubt, these men are my favorite couple nominee for any and all 2018 MM romance awards.

Slowburn? Yes. Too much sex on page? No. Friendship? Ye
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
Author Amy Aislin delivers a biscuit in the basket with her humorous and heartfelt, On the Ice. The first book in her new Stick Side series, she beautifully sets up the shot right from the start. I could just see the testosterone driven college hockey teammates in the lecture hall, their total “guy humor” and immaturity on display. But more than that, she imparts their comradery, which is heavy throughout. Not to mention – Mitch - you get a true sense of who he is. The sweet side and the driven ...more
Kyuteepie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
3.5*

I want to get the negative out of the way first, just to rip that band-aid off.

In the beginning, I thought Mitch was kind of creepy/sleazy when it came to Alex. He was very off-putting in his come-ons and it wasn't very pleasant to read. It also didnt really co-inside with his actual personality and his drive to succeed. He was a hockey player on a scholarship for a science major. He thinks math as fun and can talk nerdy all day long. The two, to me, just didn't jive.

The over use of Mama Je
Alexis Woods
God, this was really good. Excellent portrayal of demisexuality (at least one aspect of it). The hockey angle could have been any sport, but I really liked the college atmosphere the author created.

Note. A couple of minor errors which didn't overall detract, but did pull me from the story at the time of their occurence. I am curious how a "college" can play at the Division 1 level for more than a game or two. I'm not that up on college sports, but it was a major head scratching point for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update my book cover 5 19 Apr 10, 2018 03:45PM

• Blindside Hit (Toronto Wolverines #1)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Roughing (Portland Seabirds, #1)
  • Power Play (Denver Direwolves, #1)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Changing the Rules (Crashing, #3)
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey #1)
  • Coast to Coast (Arizona Raptors #1)
  • Trade Deadline (Hat Trick, #3)
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Next Season
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • The Rivalry
  • First Season (Harrisburg Railers, #2)
  • Ryker (Owatonna U Hockey #1)
  • Guarding Garrett (Hockey Allies Bachelor Bid)
  • Benoit (Owatonna U Hockey #3)
  • Changing Lines (Harrisburg Railers, #1)
Amy's lived with her head in the clouds since she first picked up a book as a child, and being fluent in two languages means she's read a lot of books! She first picked up a pen on a rainy day in fourth grade when her class had to stay inside for recess. Tales of treasure hunts with her classmates eventually morphed into love stories between men, and she's been writing ever since. She writes eveni ...more

Stick Side (4 books)
  • The Nature of the Game (Stick Side #2)
  • Shots on Goal (Stick Side #3)
  • Risking the Shot (Stick Side #4)