Start by marking “On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)” as Want to Read:
On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)

On the Ice

(Stick Side #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  270 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
For college sophomore Mitch Greyson, determination and persistence are the name of the game if he wants to make it as a professional hockey player. A busy schedule of practices, games, classes, homework, two part-time jobs—and now, working with a tutor to help him pass the class he’s failing so that he can keep his scholarship—shouldn’t leave him with enough time to flirt ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 348 pages
Published May 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about On the Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Ice

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I love hockey books and I love books with MCs all over the queer spectrum, so a book where the MC is a hockey-playing demisexual should have been right up my alley. Sadly, this book felt like pieces of a puzzle that didn't quite fit together.

It seems like ALL of my friends love this one, so maybe it was just my mood, but I found the book to be strangely written. Mitch, in particular, didn't work for me. He was supposed to be this closeted guy who was very closed off to others, but then he would
Cadiva
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well this was an utter surprise and a very pleasant one. I've never read Amy Aislin before but I shall definitely be keeping an eye out for more of this series.

I absolutely adored it. This is slow burn but with a difference because NHL defensive lineman Alex is demisexual and he needs to be emotionally connected to someone before he even thinks about having feelings of sexual attraction.

Mitch, on the other hand, is younger and, on the face of it, way more confident. He's bold and brash but hidin
Line
I don't really know what to do with this one.
There were some true WTF-moments that had me considering a DNF or a lower rating, but then it turned around again so it wasn't a complete disaster, making this a mixed bag of tricks.

Negatives:
- The amount of times that demisexual was explained. When we got to the third time, I decided there would be a test at the end of this, why else would it be repeated again and again?
But I can totally ace it now; it means that they only like short people, right?!
BWT (Belen)
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
At the start of On the Ice, which spans seven years, Mitch Greyson is nineteen, brilliant, broke, and running himself ragged trying to attain his goals. Alex Dean, is twenty-four, has a broken arm, and being on the NHL's injured player list, time to return to old stomping grounds in Glen Hill, Vermont so he can heal, visit with his grandfather, and catch up with his college buddies. One of those friends is a TA for the one class that Mitch just can't quite pass and, through a series of events, A ...more
Amanda
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the Ice is a really sweet story that revolves around two hockey players. Mitch is a college player who is not only dedicated to the sport but also a total math and science geek. Mitch is a total slut and was hitting on Alex at first sight. After being rejected, his ego was bruised, but his passion for sport and studies manages to attract Alex to befriend him.

Alex is only 24, but he feels much older to me, due to his highly responsible personality and maturity. When he decided to help tutor M
Cheri
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
There were so many things I loved about this book. I loved the characters. I loved their romance. I loved how their relationship built from awkwardness to friendship to lovers. I am always glad to see demisexuality portrayed so well in a book.

However, and this will probably not bother most readers but it really bothered me. The author made a big deal in her acknowledgements that she worked with someone else for the hockey stuff. She obviously didn't choose a person who knew about college hockey
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

5 Stars

Mitch is a college sophomore, trying to juggle school and hockey along with two jobs. Cut off by his mother after he refuses to attend business school and prepare to join the family business, Mitch is just trying to survive. He meets pro-hockey player, Alex when Alex sits on a panel at his school. Mitch is instantly attracted to Alex and tries to turn on the charm, but Alex is demisexual, so it doesn’t work, but while he may not be sexually attracted to Mitch, something about him draws Al
Nazanin
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
+5 stars! I enjoyed this slow-burn story so much! Mitch and Alex were adorable and perfect for each other *sigh. Definitely going to check Amy Aislin's other books.
Joyfully Jay
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

2 stars

Sports and athletes of all kinds can sell me on a book just like that. There then needs to be something else to hook me in and this book did not do the best job with that. To start, the author’s note states that Mitch and Alex were introduced in a previously published novella as side characters where they had already been married for six years. On the Ice then takes us back to when they met and right off, that set up didn’t interest me.

Mitch is confident and smart a
Lelyana's Reviews
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

I'm not really a sport stories reader, but some particular sport like hockey, ice skating, and swimming are some of books I like to read. This one from Amy Aislin captured my interest, because, hockey! I liked the slow burn chemistry between the MCs, makes the romance more real. And the way they're struggling through long distance relationship? It was precious. I believe this is a good start for the new series in the near future.
Well done!
namericanwordcat
3.5 Stars.

I loved the romance at the center of the book between Mitch and Alex. Mitch's first cocky bold approach and then Alex demanding he be real.

As Alex is demisexual, we get a slow burn romance which creates lots of space for emotionial connection.

Alex is just a solidly great guy and so comfortable in his own skin.

Mitch is really wonderful too and the dates and falling in love as they handle a long distance relationship is well done.

Outside the romance, there needs to be better work with
Tanya
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love a good old fashioned hockey player or 2?

With being or wanting to be a professional player in a any sport, being out is not really an option. Mitch being in college wanting to become a professional player has had to keep his sexuality quiet but when he meets professional player Alex Dean well he can't help himself.

Alex isn't attracted to Mitch but sees that Mitch is putting on a front by flirting relentlessly. His goal is to get Mitch to be himself and stop hiding. What he doesn
Mateo
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm demi happy about this story, I want to put 4 stars (one star for the evil mother' a story with an evil mother is always a good drama) but I'm not convinced, something missing, the magic was not here. I enjoyed the reading and that's why I will stay with the 4 stars.
Jess
This book was provided for free by the author and Love Bytes in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

I haven’t read a sports romance that delves this deep into each character in a very long time. By the end of this book, Alex and Mitch felt like such real people that ending their story was heartbreaking! You know you’ve read an excellent, effective, provocative book when you get sad towards the
Annie
My feelings for On the Ice ended up mirroring the slow burn romance portrayed on the pages. I was a little nervous through the first few chapters because, while the characters were detailed and developed on their own, I wasn’t quite feeling that spark for the characters, the couple, or their story. Yet, without me even realizing it, the story took hold and I was completely engrossed in Mitch and Alex.

On the Ice details a romance between a college hockey player and a current NHL player. I love ho
Sophie
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, m-m
I'm drawn to books about hockey like Winnie the Pooh to honey, so of course I had to get this.

I liked it okay, although it.. hm. I'm not sure how to put it, but the hockey parts always felt strangely sterile to me. My biggest issue was the fact that it didn't really feel like 2008 - some comments like about dating via app (which certainly existed back then but imho wasn't as much of a thing like today) and especially the conversations about demi-sexuality really threw me off and distracted me.
Courtney
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, wrote-review
A fantastic, heart-warming story

Oh, I loved this. Alex and his need to really connect with someone before being attracted to them was the perfect counterpoint to Mitch, used to one-night stands and keeping everyone at arm’s length to avoid getting hurt. Seeing Mitch’s defenses slowly crumble as he gained trust in Alex, and seeing Alex’s attraction for Mitch grow as they got to know each other better, really made this a sweet story.

The side plot with the brother strained credulity a bit, but it
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

These two characters came to life within the first few chapters and swept me away with their story. I honestly did not want to put this book down to go to bed, but my subconscious took over when I did, and I dreamed about Mitch and Alex. Without a doubt, these men are my favorite couple nominee for any and all 2018 MM romance awards.

Slowburn? Yes. Too much sex on page? No. Friendship? Ye
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
Author Amy Aislin delivers a biscuit in the basket with her humorous and heartfelt, On the Ice. The first book in her new Stick Side series, she beautifully sets up the shot right from the start. I could just see the testosterone driven college hockey teammates in the lecture hall, their total “guy humor” and immaturity on display. But more than that, she imparts their comradery, which is heavy throughout. Not to mention – Mitch - you get a true sense of who he is. The sweet side and the driven ...more
S.J. Himes
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

I was not expecting to love this book as much as I do. It has a breadth of emotion and honesty to it that has me tearing up and sniffling. I cried a lot despite the low angst. Medium angst. Nothing felt contrived. It felt real. A sports romance with a healthy dose of slice of life and every day turmoil. Well done.
Alexis Woods
God, this was really good. Excellent portrayal of demisexuality (at least one aspect of it). The hockey angle could have been any sport, but I really liked the college atmosphere the author created.

Note. A couple of minor errors which didn't overall detract, but did pull me from the story at the time of their occurence. I am curious how a "college" can play at the Division 1 level for more than a game or two. I'm not that up on college sports, but it was a major head scratching point for me.
Ramona
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
Mitch is a college hockey player. Full time student, two jobs, math genius. Snowed under with his work load. Not really out, only one close friend he can be himself with. For the rest of the world he is always on, snarky, a tease, life of the party.

Alex an NHL player in Florida, waiting for a broken arm to heal in Vermont. He there to spend time with his grandfather, who has Alzheimer's. It breaks his heart that his gramps never got to see him play a game in the NHL.

They meet when Alex is on a p
Amy Chichi Hsiao
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: yaoi
Many minor problems but not a bad choice to kill time. As usual, I'm starting with things I don't like in this book.

While the author worked so hard on promoting the idea of demisexuality, she just missed pansexuality, which is the term for "so the gender doesn't matter? (by Yager)"

Also, I'm convinced that all these relatively new sexuality identities could hardly be the primary sexual orientations one identifies oneself with. One major reason is that these terms are only well understood by two
Stephanie
3.5*

I want to get the negative out of the way first, just to rip that band-aid off.

In the beginning, I thought Mitch was kind of creepy/sleazy when it came to Alex. He was very off-putting in his come-ons and it wasn't very pleasant to read. It also didnt really co-inside with his actual personality and his drive to succeed. He was a hockey player on a scholarship for a science major. He thinks math as fun and can talk nerdy all day long. The two, to me, just didn't jive.

The over use of Mama Je
Carra
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I really like about books featuring a demisexual character is how any relationship that forms is slow building, and nothing can be rushed. It brings the idea of slow burn to a higher level, and lets the characters concentrate on friendship and the development of intimacy over a longer period of time. This is the case in On the Ice, and I love how Alex being demi helped Mitch’s character grow and become more aware. The pace of their relationship development is slow and steady, w ...more
Ruthie Taylor
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the first book in a new series - but there isn't any excessive world building. A large part of the book is set in 2008/09.

Mitch is a young ambition college hockey player, who is working like crazy to prove to his rich but harsh mother that he can have a good career in the sport. He has no family support, and works extra hard at everything. And whilst he is geeky at times, he comes over as a really good guy. He ha
Tanja
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book is brilliant. It grabbed me, turned me inside out and upside down, and didn’t let go, even after I finished it. A beautiful and intense story that evoked a myriad of emotions in me.
This is not the first book I have read by Amy Aislin, and I always loved her novellas, but with this book she scored the winning goal. I cried, I yelled, I sighed, I laughed, but most of all I loved. I loved these guys so hard.
Mitch, the hard-working student, a bit cocky, sassy, and flirty, but also ve
Jennie
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alex is a 24 yr old NHL defenseman, recently placed on the injured reserves list due to a broken arm.
Mitch is a sophomore playing hockey for his college team. I fell really hard for Mitch, he's trying so hard to stay on top of everything.. hockey, school and work. He's losing himself in the façade he presents to most people.I was glad to see a demisexual character. It's not something you see often & was well explained without being too much.
Poor Mitch has so much baggage for one so young. I
Veronica
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Alex is a pro hockey player, a patient, laid back really good guy. Alex is also demi-sexual so Mitch repeatedly hits on him when they barely know each other doesn’t get him anywhere. The two men keep up ending up in each other’s paths and when Alex unknowingly agrees to tutor Mitch they finally start to get to become friends.

For me it was Mitch that won my heart. He has a partial scholarship playing hockey at college, is stu
Goodreads Librari...: Please update my book cover 5 18 Apr 10, 2018 03:45PM
I started writing on a rainy day in fourth grade when my class was forced to stay inside for recess. Tales of adventures with my classmates quickly morphed into tales of adventures with the characters in my head. Based in the suburbs of Toronto, I'm a marketer at a large environmental non-profit in Toronto by day, and a writer by night. Book enthusiast, animal lover and (very) amateur photographer ...more

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Anybody could’ve heard. What if there’d been a recruiter nearby? Or worse, a reporter? Fuck.” Straightening, Mitch downed the rest of the beer, then set the glass on the floor. Cody’s eyebrows pulled down and he rubbed Mitch’s arm. “Because you can’t be gay in sports.” 0 likes