Start by marking “Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire, #2)

Kiss of Fury

(Dragonfire #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,382 ratings  ·  113 reviews
One act of passion can save the world...

Scientist Alexandra Madison was on the verge of unveiling an invention that would change the world. Then her partner was murdered, their lab was burned, and their prototype was destroyed. While Alex is in the hospital recovering from burns suffered in the fire, recurring dragon-haunted nightmares threaten to land her in the psychiatr
Published June 26th 2018 by Deborah A. Cooke (first published August 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss of Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss of Fury

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire, #2)
new_user
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gena Showalter fans, fans of environmentally-themed stories
These books are really not for me. Kiss of Fury reads a lot like a contemporary novel that stumbled into the paranormal aisle.

Author Deborah Cooke sets up an interesting race of dragon-men and even the gurgling, babyish beginnings of a mythology (The Great Wyvern as a mother goddess), but like her characters, this world's undeveloped beyond the bare bones. She's established the "firestorm," a literal spark of flame () that indicates a dragon's found the mate who will make him vulnerable, kind o
Julie (jjmachshev)
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
"Kiss of Fury" is the second book in Deborah Cooke's 'Dragonfire' series. Here's a little of the backstory. Pyr are good dragons who protect the Earth and its treasures including humans. Slayers are dragons who have chosen personal gain and selfish pleasures; they kill both humans and Pyr. The only way for dragons to procreate is via the miracle of the 'firestorm'. The firestorm is a signal that a human woman exists who can be the mate of a dragon and bear him a son who will become a dragon. If ...more
Mojca
I might've overlooked the overall pacing in the first book, since it was the setting point, introducing the world and history of the Pyr, but I cannot overlook it in this one.

The setting and main story was established, so there shouldn't have been anything keeping the "individual" story from soaring as its hero (sometimes) did. Unfortunately, the pacing did it in, and so did the characters which seemed distant and not particularly "enthusiastic to be participants in the story".
Eva Millien
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Fast and the Fury’est’ is the best words to describe the second book in the Dragonfire series – Kiss of Fury by Deborah Cooke, especially when one act of passion can save the world.

Alexandra Madison is a scientist on the verge of unveiling a huge world changing invention when her lab is burned down and her partner murdered. Donovan Shea is a sexy, daring Pyr who is a bit impulsive and he has been assigned to protect Alex, but he is shocked when the firestorm that he wants no part is ignited in
Michael Barnette
Aug 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of dragons, and the Dragonfire Series
Barbara ★
It's Donovan Shea's turn at a life mate but he wants no part of it. He was burned in the past by a woman with no lover or loyalty to him or anyone else for that matter. Enter sexy scientist Alex Madison, the inventor of the green car. Donovan's job as a Pyr is to protect her long enough to get her car to production in an effort to save the world from itself. Of course, the Slayers are after her and her invention since their game plan is to destroy life not save it.

I love this series so much that
Kristin
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to be honest with you guys. I was not a fan of the first book in the series, and I was not looking forward to reading this one because of that. However, Kiss of Fury took on a more basic paranormal romance pace that I'm used to, instead of a bunch of dragon chaos that I got in the first book.

One thing I find interesting about this series is that this isn't just a story about dragon shifters finding their mates. The Pyr are around to help protect the earth and its inhabitants. There are al
Anna's Herding Cats
The battle between Pyr and Slayer continues! This time Alex Madison is caught in the crossfires. She's invented an earth friendly car that's soon to be debuted and is key to saving the earth. On top of that it turns out she's Donovan's destined mate. Basically she's everything the slayers are out to destroy and they're determined to eliminate her invention and prevent her and Donovan's firestorm. Terrified of dragons after an attack she now has to trust the very creatures that scare her in order ...more
 Marla
..Love brilliant heroines and strong, protective heroes, but I keep expecting this series to be better than it is. I like shape-shifters and the idea of dragon-shifters is unique and fascinating. But like the first book, I feel like I came in mid-series and though it is getting explained bit by bit, I still feel that there is more that I don't know than what has been revealed.

I liked Scientist Alexandra "Alex" Madison, especially her practicality and logic. Alex's lack of fugitive knowledge was
Vasya
I was actually looking for Gena Showalter's books on my shelves when I figured out that I have this one, and well, they were a little bit alike so I thought what the hell, I should just read this one given that I've already read Quinn's story, and it can't get any worse (actually it can, but keep up with my optimism for a while, it rarely presents itself).

It has been a while since I read Kiss of Fire so I forgot a little the mechanism of the world of the Pyr. I didn't feel like I missed on anyth
Yz the Whyz
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A scientist on the run. A reluctant dragon-protector. A firestorm that will not be ignored.

After reading the first Dragonfire book, I knew I would want to read the next book. Sexy, free-spirited Donovan Shea had caught my attention and I wanted to see more of him, and his book Kiss of Fire, second book in the series, did not disappoint.

Alex is a brilliant scientist who has invented The Green Machine, an eco-friendly car who will be able to run on salt water. After her lab was destroyed, and her
Kylara Jensen

This series is nothing more than light urban fantasy/paranormal romance with dragon shapeshifters. It's set in the contemporary world which is neat and there is a very murky over arching background plot beyond the main romance of each novel.

I really appreciate how the female characters of this series, this book especially are very capable and work as partners with their male lead. This protagonist is smart. She's an inventor or something of some kind. But she is not like repressed or an
PepperP0t
It’s Donovan Shea’s turn for a firestorm in the sophmore effort of this fun series about ecology and dragon shifters.
Donovan’s motto is he’s here for a good time, not a long time and he has definitely been a good time from his first appearance in Kiss of Fire. The extraordinarily good fighter has been chosen to be The Warrior and is destined to find a life mate in The Wizard, Alex Madison.
Alex is days away from presenting an ecological breakthru which definitely doesn’t aid the Slayers in dest
Pamela
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I was really looking forward to reading the second book in the Dragonfire Series as I thought the first one was amazing. I was left somewhat disappointed.

Unlike the first one, the romantic tension felt forced. I mean here we have a dragon, Donovan, a love 'em and leave 'em kind of guy and a woman, Alex, a brilliant inventor who meet and right away realize they are fated to be with one another. Yes, having a spunky, courageous, take no crap woman is great; however, Alex is portrayed as perfect.
Beate
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Donovan, if only you weren't a redhead (too close associations to another series). Other than the weird acronyms for genitals, I'm completely in love with this series. It has the standard issued mating of shifters, and a little bit of smut that follows these kind of books. But what makes Dragonfire differ from other shifter stories, is that the smut is sparse, hardly there, and it's not descriptive at all. There is no graphic stuff about what goes where, or how it goes where. And it's sexy as ...more
SATIN SUE
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW WOW WOW.

In this book we meet Alexandra is a scientist who is on the verge of changing the world. then her partner gets killed and the prototype destroyed . Alwx is in the hospital after her lab was burnt to the ground. she is suffering from dragon dreams and she is on her way to the psychiatric ward when she is kidnapped/rescued.

Donavan is is more then willing to do his bit for his pyr family and the war there in but things get a little much when he is on an assignment and he is hit by his
Liv
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Gardavson
Ok book. Ihad a lot of problems with the inconsistancies in this book. They would be outside, then in, seperated then together, say one thing then the opposite. I didn't care for Alex at all. She completely lost all chances with me when she couldn't believe that Donovan would reject HER! That men did not reject her. Then she wanted to have a relationship with him out of spite. She never gave serious thought to the baby part of the firestorm. I found her to be shallow and undeserving and unremark ...more
valee
While I was able to overlook some things on book 1 (as first books in series tend to be slow) I just could't do the same again. This story was extremely predictable and too slow-paced. My mind kept drifting me anywhere except on the pages. It took me forever to finish it and I just couldn't really concentrate on the reading. I got a bit bored and wasn't much interest on the plot. And it seemed more of what I have already read on the first installment.

I'll still try next book as the series has gr
Diane ~Firefly~
I really liked the heroine. She "saves" herself and believes in going after what she wants. Plus she's invented something to make the world a better place.

The conflict between the Pyr and the Slayers is (forgive the pun) heating up. The Slayers are doing unrepentantly evil things and seem to always have a card up their sleeve. This book moves the story forward, gives you a nice romance and sets you up for future conflict.
Jacqueline J
I didn't like this one as well as the one before it. I guess I don't really like it when characters invent something that doesn't really exist. I can buy it if the story takes place in the future but not if it takes place currently. It's just a quirk of mine I know. I did like Alex though. And Donovan is a nice strong character also. I'm continuing to love the dragons and the expanding world. I really love picturing all the dragons in all the lovely color combinations. ...more
Stacey
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kiss of Fury was a pretty good follow-up to Kiss of Fire. IMO the main characters, Donovan and Alex, and their story was interesting enough but still lacked a bit of depth and the love scenes kind of fizzle out.

What I really liked was the depth added to the ongoing story-line and you got to know all the side characters a bit more in this book. All in all I enjoyed it and will definitely continue on with the series.

<3.5 stars
FlibBityFLooB
Once again, I enjoyed some of the dragon fights in this book. However, I didn't feel the chemistry between the main characters and felt the book lacked spunk.

It's too bad. I usually really like dragon books. I will continue to read the series, though.
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
3.5
Not overly impressed with this series so far. I don't hate it, it's ok I suppose. The humor seems forced, the writing is sometimes inconsistent and repetitive. The story itself was interesting enough.
Mani
May 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Captain Planet! Seriously, that's what this book is about. I'll pass on the rest of this series.
Shay
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is maybe too similar to book 1. I wanted Donovan to talk more because he's a funny, sarcastic character. I needed it. Did I get it? Nope. I don't know why I read this one after I didn't like book 1. I was hoping for better writing and it keeps pulling up short. These books could be amazing with a different author or a more advanced one writing it.

Alex and Donovan keep saying they don't want children and they hardly know each other. He really doesn't want to settle down. But then they end u
Cyrene Olson
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I decided to give the 2nd book in the series a try, and I did like it better than the first one. One of the things I do like about this series is the dragons along with their descriptions and the fact that they are in dragon form often, unlike other shifter books where the shifters are human 90% of the time. I also think the battles are well described and exciting. This book brings us the 2nd prophecy of Warrior and Wizard. Donovan is taken aback that his firestorm begins when he gets close to A ...more
Mary
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
In this second book in the Dragonfire series, we learn a little more about how the dragon shifters are protectors of the earth. This includes protecting scientists like Alex who are working to invent technology to clean up the environment before the earth is destroyed by humans. Of course, the Slayers would just as soon see the humans fail so they can take over the earth.

I liked that we are learning more about the dragons' history and their mission. I especially liked finding out about the relat
Tina
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sophie, the Wyvern, foretells of a Wizard and a Warrior working together after an eclipse to save the Pyr from extinction by the Slayers. Though willing to take on the identity of the Warrior, Donovan is equally unwilling to answer to the firestorm that identifies his destined mate as Alexandra Madison, scientist and inventor. Afraid of repeating his father’s ruthless example of fatherhood, Donovan is determined that he will never father a child. But when Alex’s life is threatened, Donovan is un ...more
Carolyn Davis
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warrior and the Wizard, this book will grab you and hold you till the end.

2nd in the DragonFire series.
Donovan is fearious Eric tricked him into meeting Alex as his firestorm ignites. Alex is a strong fiesty lady who has just seen her partner tortured and eaten alive by Dragons. Now one is trying to tell her he is a good guy and will protect her, from the bad Dragons.
Once you start to read you won't be able to stop, or not for long before having to find out what happens next, and there is A Lot
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Warm Heart in Winter (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #18.5)
  • Archangel's Sun (Guild Hunter, #13)
  • Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark, #15)
  • Paax (Warriors Of Sangrin, #1)
  • Memento Mori (Masters & Mercenaries: The Forgotten, #1)
  • Lost in You (Masters and Mercenaries: The Forgotten, #3)
  • Lost and Found (Masters and Mercenaries: The Forgotten, #2)
  • Shifting Shadows (Mercy Thompson #0.1, #0.5, #0.7, #0.9, #1.2, #1.8, #4.5, #5.5, #7.4, #8.5)
  • Forbidden Highlander (Dark Sword, #2)
  • Heart on Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #3)
  • Claimed (Dark Protectors, #2)
  • Hunted (Dark Protectors, #3)
  • You Lucky Dog
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
  • Beauty (A Faery Story, #3)
  • Beast (A Faery Story, #2)
  • Bound (A Faery Story, #1)
  • Season of the Wolf (The Legend of All Wolves, #4)
Deborah Cooke also writes under the names Claire Delacroix and Claire Cross.

Bestselling and award-winning author Deborah Cooke has published over fifty novels and novellas, including historical romances, fantasy romances, fantasy novels with romantic elements, paranormal romances, contemporary romances, urban fantasy romances, time travel romances and paranormal young adult novels. She writes as h

Dragonfire (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1)
  • Kiss of Fate  (Dragonfire, #3)
  • Winter Kiss (Dragonfire, #4)
  • Whisper Kiss (Dragonfire, #5)
  • Darkfire Kiss (Dragonfire, #6)
  • Flashfire (Dragonfire, #7)
  • Ember's Kiss (Dragonfire, #8)
  • The Dragon Legion Collection (Dragonfire, #9.1, 9.2, 9.3)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Dragonfire #10)
  • Firestorm Forever