Start by marking “Fir Lodge (Restarter #1)” as Want to Read:
Fir Lodge (Restarter #1)

Fir Lodge (Restarter #1)

The first novel in The Restarter Series

If time shattered, taking away everything you loved, how far would you go to get it all back?...

Arriving at a lodge in Norfolk for a long weekend retreat, a group of friends meet for a thirtieth birthday celebration.

Before the weekend is over, five of them will die.

Trapped in a thirty-three-hour time-loop, only Hal and Kara have t
Published March 20th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Fir Lodge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fir Lodge

S.R. Severn
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This. Book. Blew. My. Mind
No honestly. I fully neglected everyone and myself reading this masterpiece.
Where do I even begin?!
What can I even say?

I started Fir Lodge not knowing what I was walking into. Within the first couple of chapters, I was drawn to the banter which rolled off every character, I had the perfect image of Fir Lodge mapped out in my head, I had my favourites branded on my heart...then...it happened. Magic? Science? A big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff?...Yeah, let's go
Paul Blake
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply awesome. I loved this book. The two main characters felt real and I really enjoyed the interplay between them. So many geeky references that added to their realness. The rules of the restart were well thought out and not simply used as a plot-forwarding device. The rules actively hindered the characters which was a nice touch. There are plenty of twists, turns and surprises. The book is part of a series, but it can also be enjoyed as a standalone novel (however, once you've read it you'll ...more
Corry Heppler
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What do you say about this phenomenal novel, that has already been said? Its outstanding! The twists and time-jumping dimensional grace, with which the author weaves within the pages of this book, is masterful and majestic! A grab-your-attention-and-not-let-go type of read! GO GET THIS BOOK!
Marnye Young
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay first of all I have never read anything like this book. And while I am often squeamish about violent scenes this book had me laughing out loud the majority of the time with all of its popculture references like "But, much like Elsa, he decided to let it go..." and for that and many other reasons it was unputdownable. McMahon is clearly a wizard of time travel with his fascinating restarter concept and then all the crazy twists and turns with the plot that keep you guessing what their fate w ...more
Tracie A.
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a thoroughly enjoyable read from this new author, would highly recommend! Well thought out plot which keeps you on the edge of your seat, combined with detailed descriptions (which makes you feel as though you are in the book with them) & lots of humour (made me laugh out loud)! A real page turner, you won’t want to put it down! Can’t wait for more from this author.
Sean Davies
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliantly intelligent and well written book!

An incredibly well written & thought out story filled with intrigue, humorous references, and twists & turns that had me guessing right up to the fantastic finale. If you love time travel then you'll love Fir Lodge. Can't wait for book 2, keep up the good work!
K.L. Hagaman
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
....Just epic. The author is an absolute time wizard <3
Dawn Hosmer
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliantly written, entertaining debut novel by Sean McMahon. Fir Lodge has everything a reader could want in a book: pop culture references that made me laugh, characters that I loved, a plot that pulled me in, twists & turns that kept me on the edge of my seat and guessing until the end. I loved the playful banter between the characters and the premise of time-traveling/restarts. I was worried in the beginning that I would have a hard time keeping track of all of the characters and the ...more
Richard Gibbard
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Here is my review of Fir Lodge

Immersion: 4 of 5

There is a monstrous amount of time travel. Thankfully there are date/time tags at the start of each chapter to orient yourself with what day it is… and how many times its been that date. While some jumps in time broke my immersion (mine, not necessarily yours), I was re-immersed quickly.
Now… with that critique out of the way, I was very invested in the story, emotionally!
I felt Hal and Kara’s: happiness, fears, sadness, despair, and much more.
I fe
Caroline Noe
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Time travel paradox is an endlessly entertaining concept that McMahon has melded with a Groundhog Day style narrative. A slow build up kicks fully into life with the sudden onset of the reset and a horrifying revelation. Kara and Hal bonding as The Restarters is expertly written with each revolution of the fateful day adding both to the plot and their characters with genre references galore. The tense finale is crowned with a telling epilogue. A little fat could have perhaps have been trimmed, b ...more
John Watson
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindleunlimited
Absolutely outstanding

A truly original story that had me begging for more at the end. Off to pick up the sequel now.
Julia Maiola
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, I am a fan of time travel, and so this book proved to be my kind of read. It is full of references to other time travel classics and general geekdom. This made for great banter between the two main characters as one made these references and the other rolled her eyes at them, unable to understand them. Hal and Kara make for a perfect time travelling duo, and they each offer a balanced share of perspective to the problems they must face together. Their dialogue – and, notably, their d ...more
Claire Heaven
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the Tom Cruise movie, Edge of Tomorrow, so this was right up my alley. Fir Lodge has the same dry humor unexpectedly interjected at seemingly inappropriate moments. For me it was very relatable and I could see myself acting exactly how they did in the situation…s. Enthraling and entertaining, this is a solid 4 1/2 stars for me but I'm happy to bump up to a 5 because I am already looking forward to, and speculating upon the sequel.
Laurie Wells
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't read thrillers/mysteries, as they really don't sit well with me, but when Pearl Khatri requested that I try this book out, I did so, and let me tell you, I was shocked in the most positive way possible. The premise is interesting, the writing is great, if not too British, and the whole time travel bases was a blast to read. Great job, Sean.
Niamh
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I usually run a mile from anything remotely sci-fi related, it’s just not my thing. But I was given this book as a gift and thought I’d give it a go. To my surprise, I enjoyed every minute of it! I’ve become a fact reader rather than a fiction reader because I find fiction writers these days lazy and their story lines mostly uninteresting and dragged out. It’s been a while since I’ve read a ‘page-turner’, but this book had me constantly wanting to know more. Sitting in work, I kept daydreaming a ...more
Volpot
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars. Good book. Interesting story, although it got a little confusing towards the end. Not a thriller; more like a sci-fi mystery/suspense. I'll likely read a sequel.
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
Sean is a Time Wizard

Wow. Just wow. There is just something so magical about this book. Sean has an amazing way of pulling you into a story and making you never want to put it down.

This isn’t my usual genre, but the story intrigued me so I wanted to check it out. And boy, did it not disappoint. From the amusing pop culture references to the mystery surrounding the restarters. It was enthralling. I was captivated by their dilemmas and the real human emotion Sean managed to inject into the story.
Taryn Archer
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if I would like this book as I thought the concept of time travel could get confusing but that really wasn't the case. The book is easy to read, funny and a real page turner.
The writing style really adds to the book. There are funny pop culture references which really makes the book feel like you are hanging out with your friends. I genuinely looked forward to getting into bed with Hal and Kara every night (you know what I mean...). Give it a try... you won't be disappointed!
Jacob Rundle
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read! Sean McMahon's world building is amazing. His descriptions pulled me into his world. His character development is so well done that I felt like I knew his characters. A very fun aspect of the story was the usage of pop culture references. They made me laugh. His concept of a "restarter" was a different concept. I really enjoyed it. This novel is a MUST READ.
Everyone should pick up this novel!
Ashlea Maclaine
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great read. Filled with humour yet tense in places I could not put this down and it was always “one more chapter”!
Ctina Alvarado
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
omg... this story is crazy... in a good way.. hehehhe sooo good. cant wait to do my booktube review already hehehe
MLW
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Indie Book Box which offers subscribers fresh titles they're unlikely to find on bookstore shelves.

Fir Lodge is a speculative fiction mystery incorporating the science fiction element of time travel, along with some paranormal/supernatural elements. I often wondered if extraterrestrials would make an appearance, thrown off by terms like "creature" for Jerry and "unearthly" for Malcolm... maybe in the next book.

Sean McMahon takes a challenging premise and weaves an impre
John Decarteret
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Took me ages to get around to this book, and now it is finished I feel a little sad. I envy those of you who have not read it yet, I would love to enjoy it from the start again before I know what happens!
This book is badass awesome. It is right up my street, and I can not wait to read the next one. No spoilers! as always! I will say, action and excitement and leave it at that. One of my favorite books this year! (Pro or indie) it was just quality from start to finish. (Clap, clap, clap)
***** 5 s
Amara
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is not a book I would have picked up on my own. It came to me via Indie Book Box and at first I was skeptical. However, after about three chapters I was hooked. I loved the dorky pop culture references and really enjoyed the Groundhog’s Day-esque vibe.
Shaun CG
Apr 19, 2019
Rihanna Posey
Jan 01, 2019
niamh west
rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2018
C.R.
Dec 02, 2018
Rose Night
Mar 27, 2019
Zev Good
Jul 02, 2018
Sean McMahon has saved the world countless times.

From the comfort of his sofa.

Utilising a controller, as a conduit for his actions.

He also believes he invented the concept of the digital photo-frame, but has no way to prove it.

Sean lives in Essex with his family. In his spare time, he loves watching movies, reading, is an avid gamer, and enjoys walking his ridiculously-energetic Staffordshire bul