Start by marking “Atticus: A Woman’s Journey with the World’s Worst Behaved Dog” as Want to Read:

4.65  ·  Rating details ·  605 Ratings  ·  262 Reviews
This is a love story between…
A woman and a man
A woman and her family
A woman and her friends
A woman and a very special dog that led her to her happily ever after.

Through the haze of vodka and self-loathing, Hazel Roundtree saw the poor creature lying in a ditch.

One brown eye. One blue.
Published June 12th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Atticus, please sign up.
Kim Howard It depends on your definition of ‘clean’ and what subject matter you think is appropriate for a 10 year old. Hazel starts off at a low point. She…moreIt depends on your definition of ‘clean’ and what subject matter you think is appropriate for a 10 year old. Hazel starts off at a low point. She drinks, smokes, and has been known to use drugs. This story is about her redemption as well as the redemption of many other characters in the book. My suggestion is that you read it first so that when your 10 year old wants to read this book you can talk to him about the content.(less)
Lisa This book is a complete standalone, and Atticus is a character that has not been introduced previously. It is the journey of Atticus and his owner,…moreThis book is a complete standalone, and Atticus is a character that has not been introduced previously. It is the journey of Atticus and his owner, Hazel.(less)

Escape into a Booksite
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kindle
*5 Stars*

ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. I don’t even know where to start. This book was amazing. I loved it so hard.

I know that Atticus is the star of the story, and he sure is a crazy and loveable dog. But, for me, this story is about so much more. Its about learning about oneself, finding your own worth, realising your past mistakes, surrounding yourself with the right people, and making your life the best life it can be.

I loved how easily this story flowed, and
*****FIVE STARS+++++++*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

I’m not sure at what point in my life I became an absolute doormat, but I know I let it happen. But more than all of these new realizations about myself is the one thing that changed it all.

Atticus.

Having responsibility for him gave me purpose. Seeing the way he loves me for who I am and nothing more makes me realize there are many types of love in this world, and I wasn’t searching for the right type.
The unconditional type.

I’m so in
Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step”
-Lao Tzu

I read so many romances that every now and then I have the desire to seek out books that are on the lighter side, fun, unique and a real joy to read. Atticus took me by complete surprise though because while it was those things, it was so much more than I could have ever expected.

Atticus is definitely worthy of having his own book. He has lived a life worth sharing and has a story worth telling. I am always very wary of re
Jemima
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing

FOR GOODREADS
ARC

It's hard to explain a book like Atticus. Saying it's heartwarming, emotional and fun makes it seem insignificant.

By the end of the book, I realised that I haven't laughed or cried this hard in a while. Atticus is a joy to read. A heartwarming book that leave you with a torrent of feel good vibes.
A book based on the joy that is Atticus , the dog. Told in the dual POV of Atticus and his human mom, Hazel. I hope you get to venture into the adventures of Hazel and Atticus... You will laugh with joy
Dali
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Atticus is certainly a journey and with it Sawyer Bennett delivers an entirely delightful tale about a smart and ornery dog who gave his owner purpose and unconditional love helping her build her confidence and self-respect.

Hazel Roundtree was a high school-dropout bartender who thought herself worthless and without aim until one day she came across a “puppy in a ditch, wrapped in barbed wire, freezing and starving.” She was going leave him. She could barely take care of herself, much less anot
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰
🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶

description

description

Hazel is 32 years old. She's a bit lost in life. She never really found her place.

She left her parents and school when she was 18 and 'in love' and started working as a bar tender. Then she was married for six years and now she's living on a friend's couch, because her cheating hubby kicked her out of the house.

And then she finds Atticus.

Atticus wandered off when his owners were showing off his adorable siblings to buyers. Atticus probably wouldn't have sold for a good price
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bests-of-2018
5 adorable stars

First a little background here.

Some weeks or months ago I saw that cover on many of my bloggers friends.

I found it so cute and sweet that I read the blurb and discovered on the author’s page that Atticus did exist and had an IG account under the handler @atticuscrazydog

Intrigued I went to visit his account and laughed so hard at this dog’s shenanigans that I became a follower and requested the ARC. I crossed my fingers because I really wanted to read his story.

I am a dog owner
Leonor
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ian
Sometimes you pick up a book that you just love from the first page to the last.
That's this book.
If you want a life affirming book about a woman and her dog, look no further.
Kate's Corner

Spoiler-ish!

„Once upon a time, there was this puppy in a ditch, wrapped in barbed wire, freezing and starving…”

This is exactly what I needed in a read. Be aware there is hardly any romance in this book but that worked for me.

The story is told from Atticus & Hazel’s POV. And I could quote the hell out of Atticus and what he got to tell us. Atticus was a curious puppy and one day he escaped his pen and went a wandering. He wandered into trouble and it was a tough call.

I love Atticus, he is bat
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)
You don’t have to be a dog lover to enjoy Atticus, but I dare you not to fall in love with this totally nuts, utterly loyal dog and a story that will warm your heart from beginning to end.

I have to give Hazel credit. Her life is a hot mess, but she takes full ownership of her flaws and the poor choices that led to her depressing circumstances. It’s amazing the amount of blessings one can receive by showing love to an animal who requires a great deal of care, but offers nothing but unconditional
Heidi McLaughlin
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story. My favorite story by Sawyer, hands down.
Carolyn Reilly
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real treat. Not only for animal lovers!
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received for an honest review.

Welp, this book was not what I was expecting. And I am not saying that in a bad way. I am saying that in an "OMG this book is so much more than I was expecting" way.

I was expecting a sweet and fun book about a dog called Atticus. And whilst I got that, I got so much more.

Told in dual POV - Atticus the dog's POV, and his owner Hazel's POV.

What we are given is so,so much more. It is a tail - yeah, I didn't misspell that - of unconditional love, of finding our way
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
Atticus was such a heartwarming story! Hazel was so lost, until she found Atticus as a puppy. And finally, she found the self confidence she needed to take charge of her life.
Full review to come.
Lisa
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book, y'all. Look. I have a cold, black heart. I pride myself on it. But this book brought me to tears. Happy, sad, everywhere in between.

This isn't just a book about a dog. I mean, he's a huge part of this story and provides some hilarious comic relief. But this book is so much more.

Down on her luck, losing hope, and having lost her way, Hazel Roundtree is just trying to get by. Trying to make another buck, survive another day in a life she never imagined she'd be living. Then one day, o
Irene
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-author
5 Heartwarming Stars

Atticus: A Woman's Journey with the World's Worst Behaved Dog by S. Bennett is going down as one of my top 10 books for 2018.

The storyline is beautifully written, emotional, sweet, heartfelt and it will bring out all the feels.
I can't express how much I loved watching Hazel and Atticus together. Their meeting sets off a change in Hazel, she never thought a dog would bring so much joy and love into her life.
Then add Oley the grumpy old vet who takes Hazel in, offers her a ho
Anas Attic  Book Blog
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

by Sawyer Bennett writing as S. Bennett
Women's Fiction (though men will like it too). Standalone. NEW FAVORITE!!!
*As always, scroll to the bottom for my down & dirty short review*
When I read a book I am totally gushing over, I try to wait a little bit to review it to see if the euphoria wears off. But after reading Atticus: A Woman’s Journey with the World’s Worst Behaved Dog by Sawyer Bennett , I wanted to start the review
Monique
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very hard for me to read due to the fact that it brought home so many memories of my puppy that passed last December. Atticus has many traits that our boxer dog did too, and it was sad to read but also had me laughing at his antics, which were similar to our gorgeous dog. The smell of his feet for one!

This is not just a dog story, so you do not have to be a dog lover to want to read this book. Although, I think Atticus will turn anybody over to the dog world as he was hilarious. Th
V Nerd

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Mans Best Friend Stars

Anyone that has ever owned a dog should read this book, even if you haven't you should read this book!!

This book has FEELS guys, lots and lots of feels!

Told from 2 POV's, this story was expertly written by Sawyer Bennett.

POV 1 is Hazel, she has had a rough time, she was a high school dropout, has a crappy job, and is feeling pretty crappy about her life.
She was married young, and for a time she was happy, until her husband decided to see if the grass was greener in so
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

It took me a bit to warm up to Hazel, a 32 year-old woman with a history of making bad choices. But, I did warm up to her, eventually liking her tremendously. Her journey from a bartender in a dive bar, sleeping on her best friend’s couch, to an independent, self-sufficient woman strong enough to recognize her old patterns of behavior and actually work on improving her life was eventful, funny, sad, and entertaining. And it all started when she found a puppy, Atticus. Atticus is a Bernese Mounta
Patricia
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin? There is so many wonderful things to share but I don't want to give one moment of this wonderful story away so my review is vague but heartfelt.

This is one of those books that have your moods swinging all over the place. I felt desolate at times yet there were times of extreme belly laughter. The characters had depth and are so real and endearing. Of course Atticus is at the center of all and there is no better way to express how much one furry, frustrating but lovable dog brings
Pam Nelson
Completely different than what I normally read and I LOVED IT!

I loved getting the dogs POV throughout the book, it was cute and witty and just the right amount of realness. Atticus isn't a book I will soon forget.

I feel like they both needed each other and as he grew she grew. It was a pretty powerful book of not thinking you need something but when it happens you realize it was exactly what you were looking for.

I loved the narration as well. <3
Sherry
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
What a beautiful love story! Not all love stories are of a romantic type. This was by far the most heart warming story I've read in such a long time.

This was a book about love, redemption, inner growth, and family. Family in the most unlikely form. How one pup helped change the path of his unexpected owners life.

I loved each person that came into Hazel and Atticus' life.

This is definitely a must read book. Thank you Sawyer for writing such a touching, emotional book.

Happy Reading~ Sherry

Email:
Rose
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I used to think The Hard Truth About Sunshine was my favorite Sawyer Bennett book. Not anymore!!!! I absolutely adored this book!!!! I laughed SOOOO much through this book!!! The absolute adoration this author has, not just for her own Berner but for the breed and all dogs, is clearly apparent through every page of this book!

But this story wasn't just about the laughs! There was a lot of heartache, love, and personal growth on the part of Hazel, Atticus, and those around her. I cried my fair sh
Rebecca
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Atticus is most certainly a love story, but not in the usual sense of the term. It’s a unique tale that illustrates the power of unconditional love and the fact that the only way that a person can have/find/hold onto love is if she loves herself first, understanding her true worth based on who she is to herself and not necessarily as other people see her, and while that may take time and it may cause heartache and pain, it’s essential to living a full and happy life…it’s essential in order to re ...more
April Symes

Atticus is certainly a journey and S. Bennett takes the reader on a journey along with Atticus and his owner, Hazel Roundtree. Hazel is a woman who is just cynical. She is a high school-dropout bartender who thought herself not worth anything until the day came when she came across a “puppy in a ditch”, one that has been beaten and starved and treated so horribly. That is the day things started to change for Hazel. See at first she was going to leave him because she could barely afford to care f
Lady Heather
Date of Publication: June 12, 2018

photo Teaser_Jill Shalvis.jpg

Jill Shalvis says it all in the quote above.

Synopsis

One brown eye. One blue.
Covered in mud and crying from pain, the puppy was desperately trying to free itself from a hopeless situation.

She almost kept walking by. She had her own problems and besides… no one had ever stopped to help her.

Who we’re ultimately meant to be is a journey without end, but there’s alway
cupcakes and bookshelves
A heart-warming and deliciously funny book, packed full of emotion and finding love and redemption in the most unlikeliest of places. It was very unique and beautifully written, I've never read anything quite like it. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! RECOMMENDED.
4.5 Stars

*ARC kindly given in exchange for an honest review, thankies so much*
Karin D.
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know where to start. Being a dog lover & owner, I could not wait to dive into Sawyer’s latest book, thinking she was taking us on a happy adventure regarding Atticus’ life (I mean, come on; look at the cover!!) What I did not expect was the parallel story of Hazel, Atticus’ Owner. This book has been so emotional for me that it’s been very difficult to put down. I was riveted to Hazel’s story and of the people who became closest to her. Two of the characters, Olley & Bernard, are ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add author to book 3 15 May 24, 2018 06:12PM
S. Bennett is the pen name for New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author Sawyer Bennett.

Under the name S. Bennett, Sawyer writes general, young adult and women’s fiction stories that deal with the realities we face on a daily basis such as love, loss, personal growth and all things in between. She tackles difficult issues with grace, while adding her signature humor alo