Start by marking “Made In Scotland: My Grand Adventures in a Wee Country” as Want to Read:
Made In Scotland: My Grand Adventures in a Wee Country

Made In Scotland: My Grand Adventures in a Wee Country

THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

'Where do you come from? It's one of the most basic human questions of all. But there is another question, which might sound a wee bit similar but is actually very different: What do you come from? And, let me tell you, that question can take you all sorts of strange places...'

In Made in Scotland, legendary comic and national treasure Billy Conno
ebook
Published October 18th 2018 by BBC Digital

To ask other readers questions about Made In Scotland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made In Scotland

Stephen
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun read - had a smile on my face the whole way through. You feel like you’re with Billy Connolly having a nice wee chat with him - he comes across as a really nice guy as well. A must read for anyone who is a fan of the Big Yin.
Jo
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, reviewed
Billy Connolly is just one of those people that everyone loves, he has an opinion on everything and isn't afraid to broadcast it to the masses. He's irreverent and sometimes disparaging, but speaks truthfully and tells it like it is. Made in Scotland: My grand adventure in a wee country is Billy's homage to his country, its funny, entertaining and a cracking good read and filled with stories and quotes such as.....

‘After my knighthood was announced, a woman from the BBC came to Glasgow to interv
Keen
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!

“People often say that football and boxing are the way out of the working class and they are your ticket out of that kind of life, if you happen to want to leave it. But, for me, the library is the key. That is where the escape tunnel is. All of the knowledge in the world is there. The great brains of the world at your fingertips.”

I remember reading “Billy” nearly twenty years ago and enjoying that, but this has a lot more humour, depth and immediacy. Stephenson’s account came across a
Amanda Provan
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
I absolutely love this man. Being Scottish, I grew up watching him when I was tiny. He is the one comedian that I can watch over and over again and absolutely lose myself laughing at the same stories. He has a very special place in my heart and if there was one person that I could meet, it would be him. I am so grateful that I got to see him do one of his very last tours.

This book had me smiling the entire way through it until the end when I started crying my eyes out. Reading about his health
Margaret
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Billy Connolly's life story in his own words. Covers much of the same ground as the biographies done by his wife several years ago, and he freely admits he told her a few porkies.

A gentle, pleasant, feel good memoir from a genuinely funny man.
Ana
Took me a bit longer to read than I thought - a bit slowish in places - but it paid off in the end.

Could've used a couple more footnotes to explain who some people - and places - were for those of us who love Scotland (heck I even live here :o) ) but aren't actually native-born.

Nevertheless, this was a sweet love letter to Scotland from its greatest living son.

Carol Livingstone
I loved this book. It is typical Billy and I felt immersed in Glasgow and the tenements. I admire how he is dealing with his Parkinson’s and how he is happy to be a guinea pig for any trials. A must read if you are a fan.
Karen
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
There's something about Billy Connolly that's always made him a leading light in how to cope with the highs and lows of life. Whether it's pointed instruction on learning how to swear at those awful people who knock on your door flogging their brand of religion, through to assurances that nobody, anywhere needs to wear beige, Billy is older than us, he's lived a hell of a life and he's learnt a few things along the way.

Thanks to Billy's advice, ever since hitting my 50's I've never let a loo sto
Julie
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Billy Connolly, and have been lucky enough to see him live twice over the years, with each time leaving with a huge belly ache from laughing so much. In the last few years he has been on tele a lot with his shows travelling the world and has published a few books about his life.

His latest book, is mainly about growing up in Glasgow, his rough childhood being abused by his aunt, and hating going to school and hating going home, you have to admire his spirit at just getting on and getting t
Bob
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Didn't want it to end. This book is full of wisdom and pathos. It explains a lot, just as Billy has always done and, despite his health problems, the real Billy Connolly pours out of the pages. It goes from childhood and the mystifying sectarian bollocks that he had to endure, through his early days in the shipyards and to the beginnings of his career with Gerry Rafferty and The Humblebums. He then takes us on a journey of friends and his early venture into 'making shit up as you go ...more
Rita Backe
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodies
Reading this book is like chatting with Billy himself. It's an easygoing way, telling about his life, and of being a Glaswegian. It has a slightly melancholic feel over it, telling of times that was and never will come again. Some to be thankful for (beatings in school and such) and some to miss.
Teresa Reinert
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Extremely funny and wonderfully entertainment from beginning to end. It left me with a positive outlook and a happy attitude. Funny and up lifting.
Dee
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great and funny read perfect for a summer read :-)
Wendy Williams
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick and easy read that supports the TV programme. There is not much to say about Billy Connolly that hasn't already been said. He is a superstar. But what I loved most about this book is the joy that Billy finds in the people he meets and the places he visits. Not just in Scotland but the world over. He is a much loved comedian because he wants the world and the people in it to be a better place and this comes across very strongly in this memoir.
Ietrio
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio
I never would have thought Connolly as a socialist. But he is. Amusing.
Jen
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read & glimpse into the life of a loveable character :)
Michele MERSCH
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love reading books in English, but I only know very few British, Scottish, Irish a.s.o. tv stars, comedians, or other personalities, thus Billy Connolly was a total stranger to me before reading this book, even though he has had a longer career than I had birthdays.

It was a great pleasure though to get to know this great and versatile personality and an utter joy to read about past times, people, places..... about Scotland.
The reader also rapidly learns about Connolly's love for books, readin
Frans
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? It is always a pleasure to see and read more about Billy Connolly, and everytime new pieces of the puzzle make the image more complete: his performances, his world tours to Scotland and all other places, the books by his lovely wife Pamela, his tv shows and now this book. Reading this book felt like having a personal chat with Billy. And, like his shows, he combines known and well loved facts with new insights into his youth, his time as a welder, his time as a Humblebum and all ...more
Andi Downs
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Fun Read

I have always been a big fan from childhood to now. Watched every TV show and had the pleasure to enjoy at live shows in New Zealand. I have all the books and just had to add this to my collection.
As a big fan, I loved this open and frank tale of this great funnny man's life and hope and pray we are blessed with many more years yet. I too was in Scotland last year with my son and we had a grand time seeing much. Enough to fall on love with the northern highlands. Seeing places
Jill
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Connolly grew up in the tenements of post-war Glasgow. A proud working-class Glaswegian, he began his working life in the shipyards. Although he liked working amongst the hard men in the shipyard, he discovered a love of folk music, eventually leaving the trade to play in the local bars and clubs. It was when he was playing with the Humblebums that he developed a 'patter', a comedy routine between songs, and the comedy routines are what he is known for now. "Made in Scotland" is not so much a me ...more
Anne
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Billy Connolly has lived a colourful life and he has much more humour to give. There have been up's and down's in his life but his humour and view on situations and life in general is witty and funny. I loved this novel. It was real laugh out loud stuff, a real tonic and I think it should be prescribed.
Having been born and raised in Glasgow, I can relate to all that Billy describes. Much of the Glasgow of the past is gone never to return but lives on in Billy's jokes, stories and songs. This is
Julie Garner
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Hilarious true Billy Connolly style. Made me wish to go back and visit with my favourite Glasgow and see it again through Billy coloured glasses.
Billy tells us his story of growing up in Glasgow, the good and the bad. He tells it with his trademark humour but realizes that same places need seriousness, like talking about the great divide - catholic v Protestant/Celtic v Rangers. What is like to work in the shipyards and of course, his battle with Parkinson’s.
This book is for any Billy fan or any
Chris
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice quick little read by my favourite comedian.

At first I thought it was going to be like all his (and Pamela's) other biographies as it started reading the same but it soon turned more to Billy growing up and eventually to him getting older and dealing with Parkinson's disease.

It's quite a small book at 280 pages and it only took me 3 days, which is quick for me. It took me back to my childhood in Scotland and reminded me a bit of my dear old dad who used to do the same things as Billy, as h
Owen Rataj
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*

Great to hear the Big Yin's take on life, Scotland, and Glasgow. Being a household name across all generations now, I found this particularly enjoyable to hear about Billy's life and perspective on Glasgow throughout the years. It is also refreshing to hear someone so down to earth, not letting fame and success change him, nor having outspoke and controversial opinions on the usual hot topics (catholic vs. protestant, England vs. Scotland, etc.).

There were a few of the word-for-word conversa
Dennis Rutzou
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Billy Connolly fan so to me this book was an absolute delight.
I have been contemplating why I find his humour so funny and decided that the reasons are his insightfulness, absolute honesty and intelligence. He says what you are thinking, but in a succinct and humorous way. There are many gems, but one stands is the comment he attributes to Whoopy Goldberg that Vegemite tastes like licking a cat's arse to which Billy said: "I wonder how she did her research."
R.J. Harries
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining snippets from a fascinating and world class observational comedian and storyteller.

Amusing anecdotes about growing up in Glasgow, the shipyards, folk music, comedy and religion.

This BBC book compliments the BBC programme of the same name, probably transcribed from Billy's comments as both the subject and presenter, but well worth reading as well as watching, as the book provides additional material and greater depth.
MarkA
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is Billy’s way of giving his fans snapshots of his life: childhood poverty, welding ships and then his music career (including with Gerry Rafferty, which I never knew about). His thought processes are always amusing. This is definitely a book about what makes Billy tick, but there are yawning gaps (marriage; international success etc) that may we’ll be filled with another “wee book” hopefully before too long.
Gavin Broom
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's impossible to read this memoir without hearing the author's voice. There are some sections I found less interesting as others, the ones presented as script more often than not, and while I'm already very familiar with Billy's upbringing and history, I simply don't care. This is a delight. An absolute joy to read. Billy is one of those people where I'm honored to be alive at the same time as him. A treasure of a man.
Nighean Walker
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular! Such a fun read. I love Billy and having seen him live a few times and read various books I thought I knew him well. But this book is full of wee gems that have you chuckling throughout.
I bought this book for my Dad who is a similar age to Billy with a very similar upbringing just a few miles from Glasgow so the stories resonated. My Dad says it’s the first book in years that he’s laughed out loud reading.
Definitely worth a read. Thanks Sir Billy !
Ian moore
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History maketh the man

Brilliant insight into his beginnings that shaped a career and life. A genius in his own lifetime who deserves accolades in abundance. Glad he never went into politics or he would be Prime minister Connolly and probably the longest serving MP ever.
Worth reading and extremely funny.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• We Need to Talk About...
  • Bravemouth: Living With Billy Connolly
  • The Italian Chapel
  • Hippo Eats Dwarf: A Field Guide to Hoaxes and Other B.S.
  • Leaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and Doubt
  • Under a Mackerel Sky
  • Islamic Patterns: An Analytical and Cosmological Approach
  • Scottsboro: A Tragedy of the American South
  • The Quiet Death of Thomas Quaid (Lennox, #5)
  • The Stars in the Bright Sky
  • A Slice of Pi: All the Maths You Forgot to Remember from School
  • Parcel Arrived Safely: Tied with String
  • The Stone of Heaven: Unearthing the Secret History of Imperial Green Jade
  • Prick with a Fork: The World's Worst Waitress Spills the Beans
  • Dead Men's Bones (Inspector McLean, #4)
  • The Rockefellers: An American Dynasty
  • To Live's to Fly: The Ballad of the Late, Great Townes Van Zandt
  • Rockers and Rollers: An Automotive Autobiography
William "Billy" Connolly, Jr., CBE is a Scottish comedian, musician, presenter and actor. He is sometimes known, especially in his native Scotland, by the nickname The Big Yin (The Big One). His first trade, in the early 1960s, was as a welder (specifically a boilermaker) in the Glasgow shipyards, but he gave it up towards the end of the decade to pursue a career as a folk singer in the Humblebums ...more
“People often say that football and boxing are the ways out of the working class and they are your ticket out of that kind of life, if you happen to want to leave it. But, for me, the library is the key. That is where the escape tunnel is. All of the knowledge in the world is there. The great brains of the world are at your fingertips.” 4 likes
“There is this viewpoint that if you have come from the working class you have come from nothing, whereas the middle and upper classes are something, and I don’t hold with that opinion. I think the working class is something. It is everything. They are the builders of society, and without them the whole house falls down.” 3 likes