Start by marking “The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

The Queen's Assassin

(Queen's Secret #1)

Perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Red Queen, this is the first novel in a sweeping YA fantasy-romance duet about a deadly assassin, his mysterious apprentice, and the country they are sworn to protect from #1 NYT bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz.

Caledon Holt is the Kingdom of Renovia's deadliest weapon. No one alive can best him in brawn or brains, which is why
384 pages
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by G. P. Putnam's Sons

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Queen's Assassin by Melissa de la Cruz
    The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
    Release date: Feb 04, 2020
    Enter to win an advance copy of THE QUEEN'S ASSASSIN by #1 New York Times bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz!

(No PO boxes please)

Caledon Holt is

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 8736 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 04 - Feb 03, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Assassin, please sign up.
    sophia I'm guessing it's a duology since it's described as a sweeping YA fantasy-romance duet.

Start your review of The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
    Benjamin (The Maniac)
    I'd rather say "Voldemort" a thousand times before reading one more book with the word "queen" in its' title.
    Nicole
    I received this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Spoilers and swearing follow.

It has been a while since a book has earned a not-so-coveted position on my "wtf is this shit" shelf. However, this book earned it by around page 30. In fact, the only reason I didn't DNF this book was train wreck syndrome. A part of me kept hoping that it would get better. de la Cruz is such a prolific writer that this book can't be this bad is what I kept telling myself. Oh, my friends, it is that
    Nadhira Satria
    Jul 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: most-anticipated
    THAT COVER
    ♠ TABI ♠
    I've been burned by this author a few times so here's just hoping she actually finishes this newest series :P
    Hailee
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    I was given an advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I think this book started off a bit confusing, but around chapter ten everything started to come together. For a little while I didn’t think I was going to like this book that much because of how slow it seemed to be going, but all of a sudden I was sucked in. I could not put this book down. I adored the characters, the world, the romance, and the twists and turns that kept the story so interesting. This book was
    Cat
    Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    As someone who went through middle and high school reading the Blue Bloods series, to see this new book by Cruz waiting for me, I was immediately struck by the need to sit down and read it all the way through. Which I absolutely ended up doing, and I don't regret at all. Cruz has the innate ability to build a world that you have no trouble believing in, with romances that rock your world. You need to see them live happily ever after right from the get go and yet she's prepared to make them ...more
    Chris B. (1 More Chapter)
    From the blurb: "... and the country they are sworn to protect from #1 NYT bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz."
    You know an author is prolific when people are sworn to protect the public from her. :-)
    Fanna
    Dec 03, 2019 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    YA fantasy-romance? a deadly assassin? a mysterious apprentice? okay, fine, I'm ready to be swoon away by this book.
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    Finally, a full synopsis, cover and release date :D
    Beverly K
    Sep 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    This is a fantasy novel as written by Mojo Jojo. It is repetitive, reinstating the same point over and over. Moreover, it is inconsistent, jumping POVs within a specific frame and not sticking to a particular point.

I tried. I wanted to like this book--assassins are, like, one of my favorite fantasy tropes ever. But I think I'll give this book a hard pass.

I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads Giveaways, probably in exchange for an honest review? That's how LibraryThing's giveaways
    Ava
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
    There are a few spoilers in this review, but it's probably better than taking the time to read this book...and I can't even be sorry.
    Giving this book a 2 instead of a 1 for casual inclusion of LGBTQ characters in positive relationships. Otherwise, this book was something else.
    I'm shocked it's being published in 2020; this kind of book should have been left in 2012, when YA was still finding its feet.

Shadow is a young noblewoman (I think? It's implied that she has to go live at Court and
    𝒱𝒾𝒸𝓉𝑜𝓇𝒾𝒶
    Many people gave this book crappy reviews and now I can sort of understand why, but I still somehow enjoyed it even though I definitely had my issues with it.

obviously spoilers will be below, so, goodbye now if you haven't read it.

So we have an assassin hired by the queen and a farm girl yearning for apprenticeship. They cross paths--super conveniently--and find that their paths are actually intertwined (Of course they are, convenient!).

I enjoyed their journey and their dynamic. I found
    Slyth
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    ***Review pending***

This book was FANTASTIC!!! It does start off a bit slow and eventually did start to pick up when Cal and Shadow head to Montrice.

We follow Shadow of the Honey Glade; who lives with her aunts, Moriah and Mesha, that are part of the Guild. Shadow occasionally will encounter visions from the past upon contact with a setting. During an episode she becomes sick encountering the fall of King Esban and is knocked on her back as the Aphrasian monk hovers over her, ready to drive a
    Minca Huiberts
    Thanks to publisher Tor/Forge Books and Bookish First I got the chance to read the first few chapters.

After the introduction with a lot of information, the story starts off pretty interesting. The first chapter is told by an all-knowing narrator which keeps the tension high of what is going to happen and who we will read about in the next few chapters. But due to this, you can already predict who is going to play what part in this story. After that, the story picks up it’s pace pretty quickly.
    CuriousCompass
    Dec 30, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: hmmm
    IDK. This looks so generic. Everything about it from the cover to the blurb SCREAMS 'Look how on trend we are! We can do the fantasy tropes too!' Like this truly sounds like "Every Fantasy Story You've Already Read" The Book. I'm cautious. Maybe the author just got shafted with bad marketing materials, idk, it just sounds like All The YA Fantasy from 2011 to now.
    Adriana
    Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc
    3.5 Stars

While this story may build towards a somewhat hasty ending with some less than stellar world building, it's still a fun and exciting fantasy romance.

There's some great emotional parallels between Cal and Shadow, who are both bound to fates beyond their control and trying to outrun those fates. Their budding romance is set against a backdrop of enticing court intrigue as they navigate everything from escaping prison to "oh no, there's only one bed" to disguising themselves as nobles. Not
    Kat
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc-review-book
    * Thank you PenguinTeen Canada for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *

ACTUAL: 4.25 stars

Caledon - the Queen's assassin, bound by blood to return the missing Deian Scrolls, a record of magical history and knowledge, stolen many years ago by a bold and rebellious group.
    Shadow - trains to join the Guild like her aunts, and become a feared assassin. Meeting Caledon, let alone grow close to him, was not part of the plan.
    But as their feelings grow, so does the danger around them, and
    Danielle (always_read_the_end_first)
    “All the answers you seek are there, but only if you are willing to hear them,” Aunt Moriah always says.

4.5 STARS
    I truly enjoyed this book! This was so beautiful and surprisingly especially towards the end! I am curious for the sequel! “The Queen’s Secret” is very intriguing to be found out! I hope others enjoy this book as much as me!
    Elisabeth
    Hoped it would be good, but alas it wasn’t. The characters were flat, the story was predictable and boring, plus it was extremely inconsistent! Overall, just ok. Thanks to edelweiss for the ARC!
    Michaela L.
    Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I won an arc of this title and it was so very good! I was initially drawn to this book when it was suggested for Red Queen fans and it did not disappoint. I love the main characters so much. It was so much fun to watch them butt heads and see inside their minds and watch their relationship build. There are so many twists and turns and they start within the first few chapters. I NEED the next installment NOW! ...more
    Faith Rice-Mills
    Nov 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I'll admit that I read this first look just because the author was Melissa De la Cruz. I have read many of her books before and have not been disappointed. The Queen's Assassin begins with the back story of a country embattled over magic. I love that it begins with a history of the fantastical world, rather than left me to figure out who the various peoples and characters were on my own. Then, there is a brief prologue about what happened the days following the hero King Esban's death. His ...more
    Sarah Anne
    Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Wow. I wasn't too sure at first on the book but once more started happening I got into. The ending really has me excited and curious as to what will happen next. I won this ARC from Goodreads :)
    Ami Fouché
    I was initially drawn to this book through the cover and the promising premise, but unfortunately I will be DNF'ing it at 15%. In order to post this on Netgalley I need to give it a star rating, so I will give it 3 stars. My main goal is to simply share my reasons for not finishing it and my thoughts about the first few chapters.

After a lengthy history lesson in the form of a diary excerpt (not the most efficient world-building method) that I had to reread several times due to not being able to
    Caroline 💞🐉
    A literal dumpster fire and a half...
    I honestly don't even know where to begin in writing this review; this book held so much potential, and as I noticed someone in another review saying this was the highest insult to Sarah J Maas.
    When I first began reading this book, I was intrigued by the beginning's history and sort of how everything ended up where it did. But after that, it just went downhill.
    Let's start with my main problem with this book: dual pov told from first and third person
    Erin (erinevelynreads)
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    The Queen’s Assassin is a YA fantasy novel set in the fictional country of Renovia. Caledon Holt is the queen’s assassin, bound to her through a blood vow, and used to fulfill an impossible task. When he murders a traitorous prince to protect a farm girl, the queen sends him to a notorious prison to await instruction. Shadow, the girl Caledon saved, witnesses his transportation to the prison and sets out to free him. From there the two set out on a dangerous journey to protect the kingdom, and ...more
    Toya
    Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
    I’ll be honest, this is my first Melissa De La Cruz book, and I’m not really sure what took me so long to pick up one of her books considering she’s known for some pretty amazing series.

Packed with forbidden magic and love, The Queen’s Assassin follows both Shadow and Cal. Shadow decides she isn’t going to be a pawn of the Queen by being a lady’s maid. Instead, Shadow is going to rescue the infamous Queen’s Assassin, Caledon ‘Cal’ Holt from the prisons of Deersia and help him put a stop to those
    gwendalyn _books_
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This book was received from the Author, and Publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own

A slow burn budding romance is definitely in the forefront of this Ya fantasy book of magic, assassins, royalty and adventure

The Queen’s Assassin follows both two characters, Shadow and Cal.
    Shadow takes her destiny into her own hands by planning on rescuing the infamous Queen’s Assassin. Headstrong and at times a little immature and
    Taylor (Frayed Books)
    Actual 3.5/5 stars.
    FloeticFlo
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
    The world and the world building I could tell was well thought out. But maybe almost too well thought out? I felt like I was constantly forgetting what place was where, and which people wanted what. I feel like if I was really focusing I could have gotten everything, but I wasn't in the mood to really focus. I just wanted to be entertained. Thankfully, and a strength of the book, is that even with me not fully understanding the political dynamics of the world, I could still enjoy the story.

The
    Leen
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4/5 stars

The Queen’s Assassin by Melissa De La Cruz had an extremely intricate and finely woven story line. It was set up in a way that made you believe that this kingdom with its Kings, Queens, and mages actually existed. It had a solid history with so many details that sometimes it was a little hard to keep up. In a good way. In other words, the story had so many underlying tales and mysteries that kept being uncovered. I couldn’t help but gasp every chapter or two at the secrets that were
    « previous 1 3 next »
    Bookish First Rea...: The Queen's Assassin by Melissa de la Cruz 6 7 Nov 19, 2019 05:59PM

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • The Kingdom of Back
    • Echoes Between Us
    • The Shadows Between Us
    • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
    • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
    • Thorn
    • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
    • Song of the Crimson Flower
    • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
    • Tweet Cute
    • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters
    • War Girls (War Girls, #1)
    • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
    • Red Hood
    • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
    Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like

Queen's Secret (2 books)