Start by marking “The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

The Queen's Assassin

(Queen's Secret #1)

Perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Red Queen, this is the first novel in a sweeping YA fantasy-romance duet about a deadly assassin, his mysterious apprentice, and the country they are sworn to protect from #1 NYT bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz.

Caledon Holt is the Kingdom of Renovia's deadliest weapon. No one alive can best him in brawn or brains, which is wh
384 pages
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by G. P. Putnam's Sons

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Queen's Assassin by Melissa de la Cruz
    The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
    Release date: Feb 04, 2020
    Enter to win an advance copy of THE QUEEN'S ASSASSIN by #1 New York Times bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz!

(No PO boxes please)

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 5953 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 04 - Dec 03, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Assassin, please sign up.
    sophie I'm guessing it's a duology since it's described as a sweeping YA fantasy-romance duet.

Start your review of The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
    Benjamin
    Oct 04, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    I'd rather say "Voldemort" a thousand times before reading one more book with the word "queen" in its' title.
    Nicole
    I received this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Spoilers and swearing follow.

It has been a while since a book has earned a not-so-coveted position on my "wtf is this shit" shelf. However, this book earned it by around page 30. In fact, the only reason I didn't DNF this book was train wreck syndrome. A part of me kept hoping that it would get better. de la Cruz is such a prolific writer that this book can't be this bad is what I kept telling myself. Oh, my frien
    Hailee
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    I was given an advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I think this book started off a bit confusing, but around chapter ten everything started to come together. For a little while I didn’t think I was going to like this book that much because of how slow it seemed to be going, but all of a sudden I was sucked in. I could not put this book down. I adored the characters, the world, the romance, and the twists and turns that kept the story so interesting. This book was
    ♠️ TABI ♠️
    I've been burned by this author a few times so here's just hoping she actually finishes this newest series :P
    Cat
    Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    As someone who went through middle and high school reading the Blue Bloods series, to see this new book by Cruz waiting for me, I was immediately struck by the need to sit down and read it all the way through. Which I absolutely ended up doing, and I don't regret at all. Cruz has the innate ability to build a world that you have no trouble believing in, with romances that rock your world. You need to see them live happily ever after right from the get go and yet she's prepared to make them suffe ...more
    Nadhira Satria
    Jul 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: most-anticipated
    THAT COVER
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    Finally, a full synopsis, cover and release date :D
    Michaela L.
    Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I won an arc of this title and it was so very good! I was initially drawn to this book when it was suggested for Red Queen fans and it did not disappoint. I love the main characters so much. It was so much fun to watch them butt heads and see inside their minds and watch their relationship build. There are so many twists and turns and they start within the first few chapters. I NEED the next installment NOW! 😁❤
    Taylor (Frayed Books)
    Actual 3.5/5 stars.
    Marochka
    7/10
    Leen
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4/5 stars

The Queen’s Assassin by Melissa De La Cruz had an extremely intricate and finely woven story line. It was set up in a way that made you believe that this kingdom with its Kings, Queens, and mages actually existed. It had a solid history with so many details that sometimes it was a little hard to keep up. In a good way. In other words, the story had so many underlying tales and mysteries that kept being uncovered. I couldn’t help but gasp every chapter or two at the secrets t
    Beverly K
    Sep 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    This is a fantasy novel as written by Mojo Jojo. It is repetitive, reinstating the same point over and over. Moreover, it is inconsistent, jumping POVs within a specific frame and not sticking to a particular point.

I tried. I wanted to like this book--assassins are, like, one of my favorite fantasy tropes ever. But I think I'll give this book a hard pass.

I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads Giveaways, probably in exchange for an honest review? That's how LibraryThing's giveaways
    Ava
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
    There are a few spoilers in this review, but it's probably better than taking the time to read this book...and I can't even be sorry.
    Giving this book a 2 instead of a 1 for casual inclusion of LGBTQ characters in positive relationships. Otherwise, this book was something else.
    I'm shocked it's being published in 2020; this kind of book should have been left in 2012, when YA was still finding its feet.

Shadow is a young noblewoman (I think? It's implied that she has to go live at Court
    Mary Seaman
    Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: ya
    ARC provided by Edelweiss

Did not finish at a third of the way in.

I really tried to get into this one but I think the author's writing just isn't my style. It's repetitive and way to describing. I found the characters to be bland, and I wasn't excited to pick it back up. I think the concept of the story is really good but I just don't think this book was for me specifically. Doesn't mean it isn't a good book, just not my type.
    Tracey
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
    If I were a teen fantasy-lover, I would probably have given this a higher rating.

However, I'm an adult who has read lots of fantasy written for all age levels. I found the story and the setting to be good, though not very intricate. And the love/hate relationship between the two main characters to be frustrating and annoying.
    Jess
    Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    i’ll write a review soon, but definitely worth picking up!
    Sara
    Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: arcs
    *I received an advanced reader copy of this book from Indigo Books & Music Inc. in exchange for an honest review*

This story is told through two alternating perspectives:

1. Caledon Holt - the Queen's Assassin who has dedicated his life to finding the missing Deian Scrolls.

2. Shadow - who lives with her two aunts and wishes to train to become a Guild Member.

I liked the premise of this story. However, many aspects of it fell short for me. There seemed to be a lot of easy fixes wr
    Sophie
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: giveaways
    Received an ARC of The Queen's Assassin.

The simplest thing I can say is that it was dull. The concept was fine at a high level, but the execution was (as I said) dull. Instead of weaving it into the story, the world building was just kind of dropped into historical asides. The plot finally started picking up the pace in the last 50 pages or so. This might actually have been a really good novella.

I'm a completionist (even when I hate the book and myself for reading it). This is billed as Book 1
    Kat
    #TheQueensAssassin
    #Edelweiss
    Young adults will enjoy this fantasy novel. Personally, I found the POV confusing and hard to follow. It was fast-paced and has a interesting plot. The characters felt a little a flat, but that could be from the POV issue. I love Melissa de la Cruz books and I think this could be something different she is trying. Just not my favorite, but a solid read.
    Thank you to Penguin and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review The Queen's Assassin.
    Tânia
    Sep 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I'm always happy to read about assassins and characters forced to team up to save the world. 😋

Blog // Instagram // Twitter // Redbubble
    Jenn
    Oct 21, 2019 added it
    Shelves: own, arc, dnf
    DNF. I made it about 30% in this one. This story is just bland. No one has much of a personality and nothing much is happening. Too many books, too little time.
    jazzy
    Jul 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
    “Perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Red Queen...”

SAY NO MORE.
    Kaylie Montgomery
    I can’t wait to read this book. Finally, a fresh fantasy series!
    Justin R.
    Denise
    Jun 28, 2019
    Christina Stockard
    Nov 16, 2019
    Bookish First Rea...: * The Queen's Assassin by Melissa de la Cruz 6 4 Nov 19, 2019 05:59PM

• Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
    • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep)
    • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
    • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
    • The Lady Rogue
    • The Upside of Falling
    • Cursed
    • Hot Dog Girl
    • The Kingdom of Back
    • A Treason of Thorns
    • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
    • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
    • Wilder Girls
    • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • The Grace Year
    • Rebel Girls
    • Slay
    • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
    Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like B

Queen's Secret (2 books)