Start by marking “Cats Like Cream” as Want to Read:
Cats Like Cream

Cats Like Cream

It's okay to watch. Watching hurts no one, as long as you don’t touch.
Elwin likes to watch. His position as star employee at a real estate agency gives him plenty of access to the homes of his clients. A camera or two hidden where no one will find it, and he can watch as often as he pleases.
No one knows. No one gets hurt.
But it’s hard to look without touching. Touching lea
Published April 10th 2018 by Unnerving

To ask other readers questions about Cats Like Cream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cats Like Cream

Start your review of Cats Like Cream
Dave Thomas
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Renee Miller has a knack for examining even the most harmless of psychiatric and psychological disorders and molding them into terrifying antagonistic defects that exacerbate a character’s deviant personality. If you’ve read MAD or CHURCH or nearly any of her shorter works, you know what I mean. This time around in CATS LIKE CREAM (a mantra of sorts that helps to ease the antagonist’s impulses, with only about a 50% success rate), she manages to use trichophagia (or Rapunzel syndrome) to such ef ...more
The Grim Reader
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cats Like Cream is a punchy novelette featuring a real estate worker who is also a voyeuristic serial killer (aren’t they all?!). I’m not usually a fan of serial killer fiction but this tale is superb. We follow the dark path trodden by Elwin. Elwin is a vile, vile creature, a twisted, sadistic man who hides behind the curtain of his day job whilst living out his darkest fantasies. I love how Miller uses somebody working a regular job as a deranged murdering pervert. The casual nature of Elwin’s ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
4.0 Stars
This was a creepy little horror thriller story. I tend to enjoy reading from the perspective of a psychopath so this one was certainly up my alley. There was some very adult content with some disturbing sexual violence so sensitive readers may want to steer clear of this one. However, if you enjoy reading realistic horror and very dark thrillers, then I would recommend this one.
Jerry
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Holy shit, what a disturbing little story! Follow Elwin and his dark and twisted mind as he slowly reveals his calm insanity. This is a demented dude, but it's fascinating to see inside his mind for a brief time (wouldn't want to stay there long).
Red Lace Reviews
Being a successful employee at a real estate agency, Elwin strives to help people find their dream homes - but as it turns out, they get more than what they bargained for. With strategically installed cameras, he's able to watch the new residents settle in and, oftentimes, witness them at their most private of moments. But he can't touch, no matter how much he wishes to, as touching only leads to bad, and bloody, things.

(WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers.)

I decided to read something
Morgan Tanner
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I flew through this short novella during my lunch break at work. I may have been a little late in starting my afternoon but it was all worth it. Wow, what a superb story.

Our protagonist, if that's the right word, Elwin is a pretty messed up individual, and that's me being kind. We are treated to a scene with his mother early on which does little to explain why he is how he is, but certainly shows us what he'd capable of.

Elwin sells homes to, not customers, but friends. He wants them to fall in l
Christa
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Renee Miller holds nothing back in her portrayal of the twisted protagonist at the center of Cats Like Cream. Elwin is unprecedented in terms of characterization, delightfully perverse, and genuinely shocking in his crimes, and Miller's prose punctuates those crimes with machine gun-sharp rhythm. If you like your serial killers full of personality and voracious and unapologetic in appetite, then you have to check out Cats Like Cream.
Julie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**4.5** This is exactly what I'm looking for when I decide to read horror. It was dark, disturbing, thrilling, gruesome... and it was such a quick read that I finished it in one morning(I love horror novellas). I will definitely be checking out more books by Renee Miller.
Leo Robertson
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cats Like Cream is a short sharp blast of twisted pleasure and pain.

From the seemingly innocuous title to the twisted reasoning of its protagonist, the reader is not only convinced by the realism of realtor and king creep Elwin, but coaxed into believing his rationale for the horrendous things he does.

Since the story is firmly anchored in the quotidian, the reader leaves this tale unnerved by the possibility of perverts and deviants hiding beneath the Earth’s most abundant substances: inanity a
Sara Tantlinger
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great piece of long fiction. A wild, unforgiving horror story where Miller holds nothing back. The dark humor is written so well and balances with the overall sick plot in such a perfect way. I have more of Miller's work on my shelves and cannot wait to read the other stories her mind has created.
Steve Stred
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

Three for three!

Sometimes writing a review for a book can be tough because you don’t know exactly when the review might be posted, when you’re submitting it to a site for hosting, like I am with this one for Kendall Reviews.

So, let’s use dates to get rid of my current predicament. On Thursday, August 27th I read Miller’s Church. August 28th, I read Miller’s Howl and now on the 29th I read Cats Like Cream and started Stranded!

This Miller kick
Mommacat
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Renee Miller blew my mind with this short novella about a sicko Realtor who "liked to watch". This was old school serial killer for purists with updates with will have you thinking long and hard about your next move.

This is a great book that you'll want to read immediately. Incidentally, no cats were harmed in the writing of this book. It's totally safe for pets. People, on the other hand...
Annalyzed Reads
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I finished this little story in one go. It was disturbing, but a highly addicting read. The main character’s traits reminded me a bit of Norman in ‘Psycho’. I felt like the length of this was perfect. It gave insight to a realtor with a twisted mind that liked to creep on others. Note to self, look through my future home carefully for any hidden cameras. Elwin may be watching.
Katie
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Quick read

This short story is too short. I feel like this could be an entire novel. Elwin is a psychopathic realtor who hides cameras in homes he sells. He spies on women in their home. It’s really unnerving. It is an entertaining read for horror fans.
Oliver Clarke
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review first appeared on scifiandscary.com

Wow. ‘Cats Like Cream’ hit me like a punch in the face and has left me reeling; it’s immediately compelling and I couldn’t put it down, even when I wanted to. At 51 pages it’s short even for a novella, but it packs a lot in, both in events and in the lingering chill that it leaves.
The protagonist is a sweaty, hair obsessed psychopathic real estate agent named Elwin. A man who hides secret cameras in the homes he sells so that he can watch the femal
Laura Bradley
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
..... well that was messed up!
Adele
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A glimpse into a sick and twisted mind.
Eric
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short story that reinforces the idea that this medium works so well with horror. Their were some things about this book that will stay with me for a while. I'm thinking about the pizza.
RaeDawn Drenning
Ruth
Oct 27, 2018
M.R. Tapia
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever spent time checking all of the vents in your house, reassuring yourself you aren’t being watched through little cameras by your real estate agent who’s perversity goes far beyond the reaches of your own inner beast? Well this novella will leave you paranoid of your environment...and the type of conditioner you use. Great read! Wouldn’t expect anything less from Miller!
Sky

• Halloween Season
  • The Atrocities
  • Different Beasts
  • Curfew
I'd like to say I hate talking about myself, but that would be a lie. I don't mind in the least. Will it be interesting? Meh, probably not.

Let's see, I write suspense, comedy, paranormal, horror and erotic horror fiction. Basically all the dark fiction.

Follow me on Instagram, Twitter (@ReneeMJ) and wherever else it's not creepy to follow someone.